Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

2 hours ago, horridus said:

Penders can't/won't grasp that because his whole mindset is that doing something at all is worthy of the same kind of praise as doing something well.

Hmm, something about that feels familiar, like I've seen it on tv or something.

And we have more "justification" on his choice to keep the uncanny valley designs:

I mean, I don't think there are too many that still follow his stories in a positive light during his time with Archie aside from the few that post on his twitter and his now-defunct forum. 

I think I have said this before. but had he created something completely new with no connection to his old stuff, he would have had a better chance of getting more people interested and invested in his work than a 20+ year old story that ran its course a long time ago.

Sometimes I wonder if, for some reason, he has to be "actively" using these characters and ideas to maintain ownership of them. And by constantly posting about all the progress he isn't making, that's some petty legal way to keep them in his hands. Don't know much about legal stuff, just a shower thought. Maybe the end goal isn't to ever actually make anything or finish the Lara-Su Chronicles.

1 hour ago, Promethean0416 said:

And we have more "justification" on his choice to keep the uncanny valley designs:

I mean, I don't think there are too many that still follow his stories in a positive light during his time with Archie aside from the few that post on his twitter and his now-defunct forum. 

I think I have said this before. but had he created something completely new with no connection to his old stuff, he would have had a better chance of getting more people interested and invested in his work than a 20+ year old story that ran its course a long time ago.

I don't doubt that he has at least a few diehards left who are legitimately eager to see this stuff no matter what, but what I do doubt is that they exist in any number greater than 50, and even that estimate is generous. But keep in mind that Penders is banking under the assumption (IE delusion) that he actually has a huge, loyal fanbase devoted to HIM and HIS characters that for whatever reason never speaks up on his behalf or discusses his 'upcoming' work anywhere... even on that sad-ass forum of his.

And you may have, and I will say now what I say every time someone points out that he'd better off just making an original work- no matter how much Penders tries to gas up his career outside of Sonic, the truth is he's all too aware of the fact that the Sonic stuff is the only thing people really care about. It's why his attempts at 'distancing' his work are so blatantly phony. Without the Sonic Connection he's got squat, and he needs to preserve that connection as much as he can while pretending he isn't.

1 hour ago, PinkFloydMania said:

Sometimes I wonder if, for some reason, he has to be "actively" using these characters and ideas to maintain ownership of them. And by constantly posting about all the progress he isn't making, that's some petty legal way to keep them in his hands. Don't know much about legal stuff, just a shower thought. Maybe the end goal isn't to ever actually make anything or finish the Lara-Su Chronicles.

I've wondered about that as well. Truth be told though, I think the simple explanation is best- he's a lazy man more interested in putting on a show than actually achieving anything, and whatever he does do is more for the sake of appearances than any serious effort at getting this off the ground. He went in expecting an easy, breezy way to make fast cash, and now that it isn't working out he's just playing around more than anything.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Completely new or reusing old stuff, I think he needed to strike while the iron was hot, but it's long since cooled, even among rubberneckers who just wanted to see the train wreck happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

Completely new or reusing old stuff, I think he needed to strike while the iron was hot, but it's long since cooled, even among rubberneckers who just wanted to see the train wreck happen.

I'll admit that I wasn't too specific on my initial post, but yeah, I do agree that if he had a new project with new characters early on (likely after he left his freelance gig in Archie), he would have been so much better off. Post-lawsuit, probably a decent chance, though reduced due to the fallout. 

But yeah, as already mentioned, he went for the lazy, easy way out, and here we are with his rehashed "project" and what to show for it 12-13 years later, just incomplete, inconsistent previews, unnecessary fluff, and of course, nothing completed officially released.

Anyway, his description of Echy-whatever biology:

I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling that his "villainess" is going to do something like this with hers:

mqdefault.jpg

I thought about posting the GIF, but despite the movie's PG-13 rating, I thought it was kind of borderline graphic, so...

4 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

I'll admit that I wasn't too specific on my initial post, but yeah, I do agree that if he had a new project with new characters early on (likely after he left his freelance gig in Archie), he would have been so much better off. Post-lawsuit, probably a decent chance, though reduced due to the fallout. 

But yeah, as already mentioned, he went for the lazy, easy way out, and here we are with his rehashed "project" and what to show for it 12-13 years later, just incomplete, inconsistent previews, unnecessary fluff, and of course, nothing completed officially released.

Anyway, his description of Echy-whatever biology:

I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling that his "villainess" is going to do something like this with hers:

mqdefault.jpg

I thought about posting the GIF, but despite the movie's PG-13 rating, I thought it was kind of borderline graphic, so...

Yeah, pretty much. While this was never going to be the kind of franchise launching indie success story he fantasized about, the window where he could have enjoyed even a miniscule amount of success with this project closed years ago, and the window was subsequently sealed shut once the ten year mark was hit. Not helping matters is that it's clear he has no solid plans for how he's proceeding, if ever... he's constantly revising and changing things rather than settling down and charting a course.

And yeah, Ken, that's fascinating. I'm sure all of that will come into play in a completely organic fashion that really builds the world up and enhances the story in the process.

Juuust like the Soul Touch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like a little more "progress" on his Z page:

So, Avion? Is that supposed to be the name of his "Floating Island"?

13 hours ago, horridus said:

Yeah, pretty much. While this was never going to be the kind of franchise launching indie success story he fantasized about, the window where he could have enjoyed even a miniscule amount of success with this project closed years ago, and the window was subsequently sealed shut once the ten year mark was hit. Not helping matters is that it's clear he has no solid plans for how he's proceeding, if ever... he's constantly revising and changing things rather than settling down and charting a course.

And yeah, Ken, that's fascinating. I'm sure all of that will come into play in a completely organic fashion that really builds the world up and enhances the story in the process.

Juuust like the Soul Touch.

About time he explained their anatomy.  I don’t get it; why is he being so cagey about explaining the echidna species, but happily revealing plot points about the story itself?

Also on a different note, what’s going to happen when he finally dies?  I know none of his kids are going to pick it up; none of them have any artistic talent and they’re all successful in other fields, and have families of their own.

Just out of curiosity, without getting too specific, what fields are they in?

Like, I'd be satisfied with just "practicing law" instead of "public defender" or whatever, if that helps. I'm just curious how far these apples fell from the tree.

34 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

Just out of curiosity, without getting too specific, what fields are they in?

Like, I'd be satisfied with just "practicing law" instead of "public defender" or whatever, if that helps. I'm just curious how far these apples fell from the tree.

Pretty far, from what I gather.  I know he tweeted how a couple of them were part of big scientific articles.  No one is a lawyer or artist or anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Looks like a little more "progress" on his Z page:

So, Avion? Is that supposed to be the name of his "Floating Island"?

Yeah, he mentioned that one a bit ago. It stood out to me because it's the same name as a place from the old Masters of the Universe cartoon. It's also the French word for 'airplane', as revealed by Adamis.

Keeping in mind this was all supposed to have originally been for M25YL, I take all of this as yet another symptom of his overwhelming need for his Knuckles crap to be the 'most important' part of the Archie Sonic timeline. It's almost a metaphor really- everything else is gone, except the parts important to Knuckles. The parts most important to Ken himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting, indeed...

Anyway, he seems to be making yet more progress on that one panel:

I'm just gonna say it: Rutan(?) looks creepy in that bottom left panel.

And his reasoning on being unable to hire others to help him with his "projects" (I am assuming that is what he is talking about).

And the top right of the Z has progressed:

And another tweet that has me scratching my head:

20+ year old Sonic story rehashed and continued, the Praetorian, "Kil'o" ("original" characters do not steal)...

• Chuckle 1

So, what's up with this thread?

Someone asked if they could use Geoffrey, and he responded:

I wonder if he even knows about Archie Sonic Online?  His characters are all over that!

31 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

Someone asked if they could use Geoffrey, and he responded:

I wonder if he even knows about Archie Sonic Online?  His characters are all over that!

Who knows, to be honest. Not sure if he is into reading others stories that weren't made by him, most notably his successor's, but I digress. Even if he did, not sure if he would be able to do anything about it as I don't think that comic is being made for profit and might be considered a parody, so to speak.

And regarding another possible comic, it'll likely be the same deal as IDW, new characters, storyline, etc. No old baggage from a previous incarnation.

5 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Not sure if he is into reading others stories that weren't made by him, most notably his successor's

Historically, no, but that's never stopped him from complaining about what happens in them!

• Thumbs Up 5

47 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

Historically, no, but that's never stopped him from complaining about what happens in them!

Like the incident with the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie?

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Like the incident with the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie?

The incident with the 2nd Sonic Movie.

Or the time he accused Flynn of stealing ideas from him because he had Antoine and Bunnie get married.

Endless times he bitched about Flynn 'disrespecting' or 'mishandling' his characters while never bothering to read the stories.

Or going back before that, trying to claim Angelo DeCesare was writing 'Furry ARchie' in the same breath as admitting he never read THOSE stories either.

Man has Opinions, yet somehow has no real thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 8

Mr. Penders is totally for fans crowdfunding a comic if they'll pay him for the use of his characters. 

Update on the same panel. Looks like he picked a jungle for the bottom left panel and some cave on the top right for his latest copy/paste backgrounds.

And why does he keep bringing up this guy? Pretty sure these two were never friends:

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

And why does he keep bringing up this guy? Pretty sure these two were never friends:

Because Ben Hurst is dead and incapable of speaking in his defense or calling out Penders for his crap. Penders is a manipulative, lying sack of garbage who honestly tried to act as if he and Hurst had a close relationship, something Hurst DID call him out on back when he was still around, along with a few other things. Penders has repeatedly badmouthed Hurst since his death (despite promising not to), and that's without getting into the act he more than likely did sabotage Hurst's efforts at getting a Sonic film made so HE could to it himself. Crap like this is just Penders trying to pretend he's magnanimous when in truth he treated Hurst with the same level of bile he treats anyone who challenges, contradicts or calls him out even a little.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Absolutely 3

11 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

SatAM ending as a Sonic Super Special? I don't think i've ever heard of that one ever before.

• Thumbs Up 1

And he's unveiled another badge design (probably the same price as the other), with another design apparently coming soon:

Not impressed with the generic-looking design, and of course yet another distraction away from his main "project".

EDIT: Adding F.Y.I. filler shit.

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:19 AM, Promethean0416 said:

And he's unveiled another badge design (probably the same price as the other), with another design apparently coming soon:

Not impressed with the generic-looking design, and of course yet another distraction away from his main "project".

Why offer something of substance like a release date when you can wow the world with the merchandise you're thinking about for the product you haven't come out with in over a decade? Clearly we just can't appreciate the genius of Penders' strategy!

... the whole thing reminds me of Foodfight, that awful movie about cereal mascots. Apparently the makers behind it had big plans for it, expecting to generate an entire franchise of spinoff materials, to the point where it was clear they were thinking more about the franchise that hadn't gotten off the ground than they did about the movie meant to spawn it.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:19 AM, Promethean0416 said:

EDIT: Adding F.Y.I. filler shit.

Heh. Now that's an interesting complication... now technically, cities can indeed have very similar names, to the point of confusion. But this being a work of fiction, you think there'd be a bit of care to make major locations in the setting distinct enough that nobody would confuse them.

Kinda surprised he didn't specify that Albion was the original Echidna homeland, but then maybe that detail has changed arbitrarily as well. Either way I'm just gonna giggle at this new development.

Edit: Aaagh, I'm a twit- I misread that. He DOES mention it as the homeland of the Echidna. I took it as meaning the Echidna specifically living in Albion. So much for reading comprehension, eh?