Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Long story short, you can't have both the modern-gen video games elements and the freedom fighter gimmick. Sonic is a slighty different character in the game universe, a free one.

This isn't the games universe though. It's the comics universe. The comic can go by its own rules when using the games as a basis, which is what it's been doing. I don't see why it would have to be one or the other.

Some people talk about how the comics are this or that instead of being just like the games (they're already more like the games already) while somehow still being dismissive of it, its concepts and its characters on the grounds that it's a different universe/continuity and therefore it all needs to stay far, far away from the games. Which, to me, is baloney, since it's not like anyone who would want to see an aspect or element from the comic translated over to the games are expecting or even want it to be transfered over wholesale. That said, I don't mind Archie going its own path while sticking close to the world of the source and wringing it for all it's worth, while the source follows its own path. It's worked already, and still is, so why not?

This isn't the games universe though. It's the comics universe. The comic can go by its own rules when using the games as a basis, which is what it's been doing. I don't see why it would have to be one or the other.

Some people talk about how the comics are this or that instead of being just like the games (they're already more like the games already) while somehow still being dismissive of it, its concepts and its characters on the grounds that it's a different universe/continuity and therefore it all needs to stay far, far away from the games. Which, to me, is baloney, since it's not like anyone who would want to see an aspect or element from the comic translated over to the games are expecting or even want it to be transfered over wholesale. That said, I don't mind Archie going its own path while sticking close to the world of the source and wringing it for all it's worth, while the source follows its own path. It's worked already, and still is, so why not?

Because Penders took half of the comic work away, and yet Sonic still has to answer to Sally and follow the rules and regulations of a freedom fighter.

Oh... THIS conversation again.

Yeah, I've seen this topic enough (usually with KKM) to know that I'm gonna bow out so someone more eloquent than I can make this argument.

Because Penders took half of the comic work away, and yet Sonic still has to answer to Sally and follow the rules and regulations of a freedom fighter.

I don't see what one has to do with the other, sorry. Unless you're saying you'd prefer if the reboot was much harder and removed Sonic's connection to the Freedom Fighters. Which, I suppose, is fine. But I still see this as too much of a "it has to be one or the other" instead of being a compromise of two, typically, divergent incarnations, which has been Archie's jam for a while now.

Oh... THIS conversation again.

Yeah, I've seen this topic enough (usually with KKM) to know that I'm gonna bow out so someone more eloquent than I can make this argument.

Yeeeeaaaaah, I dunno why I keep opening this can of worms. It never ends well.

Penders doesn't own Sally, wasn't Sally's creator, and didn't have anything to do with really establishing her as a character. Sally was nagging Sonic before Penders moved in, and she'll likely do so until the comic's final days. And as far as the others, what Penders removed wasn't even a third of the comic; the echidnas and the others, for all they brought to the comic, are by no means the comic's central characters. Will Knuckles' backstory be a little more difficult to write about now? Certainly. But Knuckles is still Knuckles; these surgical wounds will wear away in time.

Long story short, Penders isn't Archie Comics, and he isn't SEGA. A few guys being gone doesn't sour the comic completely. Life goes on.

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember Sega pushed Sally and the Freedom Fighters pretty hard in certain places and areas, in Australia/NZ especially with Sega World. There was quite a bit of Freedom Fighter love within those walls. I've still got my set of Sega World swipe cards from visiting often while it was still around, one of which has Sally on it. Granted this was during the time of SatAM tho so they were still rather relevant.

This reminds me of something I posted in the main comic topic several months back. There's no rule saying the comic has to be a copy paste of the games, I've always wanted the book to FEEL like a Sonic comic, and with everything that's happened, it's a much more enjoyable read now.

It's not that I want the comic to be 100% exactly like the games. That would be pretty much impossible due to Sega's red tape, and the limitations it would give the story.

What I always wanted, was for the comic to at least feel like it was supposed to be the same franchise. I never liked the Sally Power Hour storytelling. I never liked all the useless echidnas mucking about. I never liked all of these elements that cluttered the book created by 50 year old men who knew nothing about, and cared nothing about the source material.

That's fixed now though.

• Thumbs Up 5

Who-what is that thing to the left? I already recognize the horror to the right. 

And they still look like malformed Sonic characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh look, more dodge and burn. Lovely. Nice to see he's still leaning right up against the box; now it's totally-not-Knuckles in a helmet and awkward cape.

Strangely, Lien-Da looks half-decent on that banner... though that could just be because the fractured glass and the distortion, since the other Ech--whatever the hell they're called--looks like another generic Knuckles with human facial proportions and a pug face. Man, connections must go a loooong way in this industry. I really don't know who he expects to convince that these characters aren't Sonic character knock-offs, unless they're people who have never even heard of Sonic the Hedgehog. I can almost guarantee kids will say "look, Knuckles!"

Question, I read most of the original Knuckles run, and I still don't know shit about Spectre. Did he do much of anything in that run or after in the main book? I could swear Locke was the only member of the Brotherhood that we knew anything about, and that's just because he was in our face all the time.

I would pay Ken Penders $20 for him to not draw something for me. Maybe suggest he go use that money to buy some ice cream, sit down, and rethink his choices and actions.

• Thumbs Up 2

So he took Knuckles, took Batman, took Robocop and mixed them all together and made it 100% more ugly and came out with that?

Question, I read most of the original Knuckles run, and I still don't know shit about Spectre. Did he do much of anything in that run or after in the main book? I could swear Locke was the only member of the Brotherhood that we knew anything about, and that's just because he was in our face all the time.

Depends. If you think standing around and trying to act like a mix of Spawn & Batman while talking down to Locke & Knuckles, and maybe once fighting the Dark Legion when Dimitri was leading them.

Otherwise, absolutely nothing is really known about him. Like why he has that helmut and Spawn cape. Or why we should care about him.

So we got a ugly CGI version of Lien-Da, a ugly CGI new character who no one even knows or cares about, and a ugly design of a character who almost no one remembers. I seriously wonder how bad Julie-Su and Lara-Su will be...

Depends. If you think standing around and trying to act like a mix of Spawn & Batman while talking down to Locke & Knuckles, and maybe once fighting the Dark Legion when Dimitri was leading them.

Otherwise, absolutely nothing is really known about him. Like why he has that helmut and Spawn cape. Or why we should care about him.

The most we know about him in comic comes from the fact that the ripped 'nothing to fear but fear itself' quote was said by him at the eve of some battle to retake Echidnapolis... otherwise, fans had to fit the pieces themselves as to why Spectre hated the Legion so much, with general consensus being that he was likely raised in a very shitty fashion by Moritori Rex (disguised as Tobor, Spectre's father), which contributed to this. In the Sonic Encyclopedia, Ian Flynn would state that Spectre was abducted and forcibly brainwashed by the Legion, but managed to shake it off and repel the Legion. 

Otherwise? Penders only hinted at such things in a very vague way, and really, it was up to everyone else to fill in the blanks. 

Also, that design? Hideous. Simply hideous. 

Okay, can somebody teach Ken Penders about appeal? Because he's gotta be delusional if he thinks those designs are even remotely appealing. Big bug, eyes. Freakish human proportions with twig necks. Who does he think he's kidding?

That's a interesting move for Penders. In an attempt to make the characters not look like Knuckles ripoffs, he decided to mix them with The Powerpuff Girls and make it more ugly looking.

But seriously, how can he think that thing is even remotely good looking? Especially the one on the left who I'm guessing it meant to be either Julie-Su or Lara-Su is very ugly.

What really pisses me off is we went from great artists aka Ben Bates, Tracey Yardley! etc drawing these characters brilliantly only for Ken to snatch them up and turn those characters into these ugly husks of their former selves.

The eyes, oh my gosh, they are so hilariously huge, the iris being even more awkwardly huge!! His shading still sucks, and the dark draining colours he always uses suck the life out of the art. I would not pay $20 for a signed anything that looked like that, and add to that its from an as of yet unreleased product that may not even get off the ground, or if it does in all likelyhood will crash and burn. Limited edition or collectable stuff from a product with a poor release ends up being worth less than you paid for it originally. Just look at the $10 Colonial Marines collectors editions on eBay >.<