Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

One of the things that's most shocking is he thinks he's famous enough for him to charge that high for a signed picture from something that barely anyone knows about. 

A bit more on the Spectre design... I think he's trying to channel a bit of Jack Kirby there. Underneath his cloak you can kind of make out the shape of a limb and presumably a body, and those 'tech lines' look a lot like something he would have designed for his New Gods book. 

This does not surprise me; he has professed to be a fan of the man. Nor does it surprise me that he would seek to emulate the man, even in the face of Jack Kirby actively disliking artists emulating him rather than doing their own thing... but hey, would we EVER expect Penders to actually bother with such trivial details? 

Also... dear God, that helmet... it's like something from the 90s, with that communicator, and in the most unappealing way possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh his other posts seem to suggest he still thinks there is a chance Archie will approach him and ask to work with him and get his characters back.....fat chance.

Huh his other posts seem to suggest he still thinks there is a chance Archie will approach him and ask to work with him and get his characters back.....fat chance.

Words do not begin to cover how full of crap that is. 

He's repeatedly stated that they can use his characters so long as they credit him, and so long as the 25YL stories he wrote become THE canon future. Archie however can only publish Sonic comics so long as SEGA owns everything they make, which is not an unreasonable thing given that it's their Franchise and all that. 

Penders' 'reasonable' deal amounts to him basically trying to force the comic to conform to HIS vision despite him having nothing to do with it anymore while literally asking the impossible of Archie AND Sega. In short, his 'deal' is bullshit, and one Archie would never agree to even if they had a desire to see his stuff back, which by this point I'm pretty sure they don't. 

He's grasping at straws, desperately trying to convince himself and other's that there's a light at the end of this tunnel. There's no light; only a black hole that he dug himself into.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I suppose if Jon Goldwater goes insane or Nancy Sieberkleit somehow takes over Archie, then, yeah, I can see it happening.

But I think my scenario relies on a level of incompetence that even the Penders lawsuit couldn't achieve.

Penders' 'reasonable' deal amounts to him basically trying to force the comic to conform to HIS vision despite him having nothing to do with it anymore while literally asking the impossible of Archie AND Sega. In short, his 'deal' is bullshit, and one Archie would never agree to even if they had a desire to see his stuff back, which by this point I'm pretty sure they don't.

This makes me wonder, what exactly is the status on reprints at this point? I know they're still coming, and artists and writers are now credited on the front covers lately, but do the reprints have to acknowledge separate copyrights for Penders and whomever else at this point for characters and such? Or is that a separate issue altogether? I ask because I haven't looked at recent volumes to see if there's any change regarding that.

This makes me wonder, what exactly is the status on reprints at this point? I know they're still coming, and artists and writers are now credited on the front covers lately, but do the reprints have to acknowledge separate copyrights for Penders and whomever else at this point for characters and such? Or is that a separate issue altogether?

I have no idea... I personally keep wondering if Archie is just waiting until they have enough stuff for the 'new' Sonic verse before just ditching everything to do with the old. 

Ken seems to think that him, his characters are needed if Sonic is to be popular when the cold hard fact is the comic did far better after he left. Especially since most people think Ian is the best writer the comic has ever had so where would be the sense of replacing what most people say is the best writer of the entire 20 years the comic has been going with a writer who has written some of the worst stories created for the comic, who turned the comic into a complete soap opera instead of the action adventure comic it was supposed to be. 

The fact of the matter is Ken believes that now his characters are gone from the comic, Archie and Sega are stuck in a corner and their only option is to comply with his stupid demands and rehire him when in reality, that boat has long since passed since the comic is doing fine without the characters and has been doing great ever since Ian came aboard, when Ken's characters got less focus.

Even then, Ken seems to think that his characters were the best created. I can say know that the only characters of his I liked was Julie-Su, Monkey Khan, Lara-Su, Remington, and a few others and even at that, I can say I enjoyed Mina,Fiona, and others more than them. Even at that, It was only when Ian came aboard and started writing for them when Ken's characters became good.

Even then, Ken seems to think that his characters were the best created. I can say know that the only characters of his I liked was Julie-Su, Monkey Khan, Lara-Su, Remington, and a few others and even at that, I can say I enjoyed Mina,Fiona, and others more than them. Even at that, It was only when Ian came aboard and started writing for them when Ken's characters became good.

Monkey Khan and Mina weren't his, and Fiona is a bit complicated; one writer created the Robo-Fiona, and Ken introduced the organic Fiona. He didn't create everything to do with the comic, but thanks to his lawsuit and Archie's handling of the contracts that led to his gains, everything to our knowledge was tossed out. Flynn has hinted that some things from the old verse will return, but he's not allowed to say what. 

I have no idea... I personally keep wondering if Archie is just waiting until they have enough stuff for the 'new' Sonic verse before just ditching everything to do with the old.

Eh, you might be right. For what it's worth, the events of the old issues essentially don't exist or were heavily rewritten in the new 'verse that they'd be distinct anyway. Given how "Select" is sorta spinning its wheels with random reprints and themes, it wouldn't surprise me that they're just trying to get as much mileage out of that stuff as possible until they can quietly stop producing them.

Ken seems to think that him, his characters are needed if Sonic is to be popular when the cold hard fact is the comic did far better after he left. Especially since most people think Ian is the best writer the comic has ever had so where would be the sense of replacing what most people say is the best writer of the entire 20 years the comic has been going with a writer who has written some of the worst stories created for the comic, who turned the comic into a complete soap opera instead of the action adventure comic it was supposed to be. 

The fact of the matter is Ken believes that now his characters are gone from the comic, Archie and Sega are stuck in a corner and their only option is to comply with his stupid demands and rehire him when in reality, that boat has long since passed since the comic is doing fine without the characters and has been doing great ever since Ian came aboard, when Ken's characters got less focus.

It's interesting to note that Flynn seems to be much more of a superstar writer for Archie than Penders ever was. Even the checklists for all the collections in the Sagas books specifically note what volumes he started writing, so his name definitely carries more weight than past writers' do. Considering Flynn even gets "consulting" credit on the Archives lately, I imagine that stings Penders even more. Though in the latter case, it's silly for Flynn to get credit on something he had no involvement in.

And, just a slight correction, Monkey Khan was created by Frank Strom, Mina was created by Bollers and Fiona (at least by concept) was created by Gallagher. Let's not give Penders too much credit. tongue.png (EDIT: Ninja'd)

I made a mistake on Monkey Khan but I already knew that Mina was Bollers and that Robo-Fiona was Gallaghers. Also if I remember right Ken said on his forum he can't be held responsible for making Fiona as he said the concept of her was Robo-Fiona although since Gallagher already allowed Ken use of one of his characters, I doubt we will ever see Fiona again. 

I wonder how much stuff he will sell.

I want to believe it's none, but he'll sell SOME, bound to. Now, it'll likely be a low number, but I bet he'll call it successful, even if he just sells five items.

That print is going to shove me nightmares! It's legit terrifying!! Is this Pender's goal?! To give 15 year old girls nightmares?!?!

That print is going to shove me nightmares! It's legit terrifying!! Is this Pender's goal?! To give 15 year old girls nightmares?!?!

If that was his goal, that would imply he knew what he was doing.

Good point.

Also, I dunno if this has been mentioned but Penders is going to have a cardboard cut-out of one of the characters for the fans...I can't imagine anyone wanting to stand next to that thing and get their picture taken. Honestly, I'm expecting his booth to be collecting dust, for the most part...

No, no. The sad thing is he's bound to get a FEW customers. There's going to be someone out there that likes his stuff. And it WILL be someone besides his friends and family.

It's a shame since the Grim Pender will actually think he's successful for his few numbers.

Yeah, after the stink thrown at SEGA who are currently monitoring the comics, surely the chances haven't been obliterated to high haven, right! ?

I hope there's a booth across from him, and aside from his few customers, he can't help but watch as the booth across the hall has so many people that maybe, just maybe, he wonders..."am I really successful? I made about thirty dollars...I had five wonderful fans...but..."

Not likely, but maybe...anyway, I feel really bad for the little kids who are gonna be there and then have to see his...creations.

I just wish Flynn or Archie would turn the tables on Penders, make it so he's the one dependant on them to get back on his feet (it would serve him right anyway). Have things for Penders and TLSC end so badly (because they will) that he is willing to give up everyone but Lara-Su, just so they can get him out of his rut. Unfortunately, Archie is fickle when it comes to characters and will have even less remorse and pity for him than anyone of us one the internet.

I can't very well give up on this hope. Not because the new story is so different, not because Penders pulled a dick move and is a general egomaniac, but because I care as a person. Would you sleep soundly, knowing that a hero's parents, an endangered rival's whole clan, two small girls (one mute), a long lost brother/prince, and a bee's girlfriend (it's like a sad ending out of Forest Gump) have suffered a fate worse than death, as well as the emotional weight it should have on those close to them? Call it what you want, but to me, it's like a curse that can't be ignored.

I hope there's a booth across from him, and aside from his few customers, he can't help but watch as the booth across the hall has so many people that maybe, just maybe, he wonders..."am I really successful? I made about thirty dollars...I had five wonderful fans...but..."

Not likely, but maybe...anyway, I feel really bad for the little kids who are gonna be there and then have to see his...creations.

Thing is, Penders could get thirty dollars and the booth across him can make over thirty-thousand dollars more and be sold out by the end of the day, and he'd STILL think he was hotshit there.

He's delusional, there's no hope for him seeing any kind of light.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that I think about it, Lara - Su Chronicles might be a dumb idea with horrible execution.

It really seems to be shaping up as such.

Or maybe this is Penders' big chance to finally have a mental breakdown (in front of everybody), and someone can finally call the paddywagon on his ass.

On a humorous note, Penders' will become so mentally cured that he finds inner-peace in quitting the comic biz, and frees himself of all worldly things, namely intellectual property (relinquishing the rignts to his characters).

frees himself of all worldly things, namely intellectual property (relinquishing the rignts to his characters).

You know, call me crazy, but I'm... I'm seeing a pattern emerging.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, call me crazy, but I'm... I'm seeing a pattern emerging.

And what pattern would that be?

Especially when Ian and by proxy Archie have said even if the rights were given back to them, even if the characters were free to be used again, that they would not go back on what they have done, that they have invested too much into this change and the chances of them even considering using them again was almost non existent. Its a pretty final kind of statement. Not only that but we all went through this months ago >.<