Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

And Wynmacher wears a Darth Vader-esque suit for some unknown reason...

Wynmacher.png

Speaking of which, there's another echidna who looks like one of the Star Trek characters from Next Generation. You know, the one with the visor. The above example isn't too bad but I'm amazed how Penders could get away with having an echidna dressed up as a Star Trek character! Surely SEGA wouldn't let that slide nowadays.

Actually, here's an image that perfectly describes every echidna in Ken Pender's world (well there is Finitevus who was not created by Penders but eh). It's hilariously accurate! =D

tumblr_mhx8uocnKY1rsc7fao1_500.jpg

Don't forget:

tumblr_lz3ndmtVgO1rnsvazo1_500.png

I've seen OCs on Deviant Art with more creativity.

• Thumbs Up 6

@Zaysho, true, it was Gabrie was just as responsible as Ken & Karl for the book's problems. My main point was that Penders probably started losing touch with reality when Knuckles was cancelled, and he found himself billed behind Karl who usually had more main story writing duty then him, with Ken only getting Knuckles backups until that was cancelled too. He was left to write for so long without much interference, it probably spoiled him rotten, like a bratty child.

So Gabrie left around 136, & the editor that Penders had problems with was Pellerito? Because from what I could remember, Ken's last issue was 159 in 2006, either shortly before or during Sonic 06 getting released and SEGA freaking out and putting more executive attention onto the book. And Pellerito was Ian's editor for a long time before Kaminski took on editing duties.

Ah, I see what you mean, makes sense. I haven't read much of anything during that time (anything after #125 and before the Shadow story in #157-159), but I thought I read somewhere Pellerito wasn't happy with the direction of the book. I do know Penders wasn't happy that he had to actually follow orders now and he definitely wasn't happy about SEGA telling him what he can or can't do with their property. In a way, I still have to level some blame on Gabrie because he never told the creatives where the line was and not to cross it. Penders wrote those stories and caused so much of the book to just spin out of control, especially when he started shoehorning in his pet project's concepts into the book (Future Mobius; maybe if he actually didn't do this shit--and I'm sure this falls under "freelancing 101"--we wouldn't have gone through this nonsense), so he's far from blameless, but it still goes to show Gabrie was just as bad at his job as editor as Penders was at writing for an all-ages, monthly advertisement for SEGA.

Seriously, it's quite pathetic. Again, I do feel pity for Penders. A lot of contempt, but pity too. He is incredibly delusional and obviously quite insecure, which I think is terribly sad.

Agreed 100%. My thing with Penders is that, indeed, I think he is responsible for the book's early success by pushing for a more serious, action-adventure vibe with the comic. The downside is that, as you said, he probably pushed things too far in that direction and forgot what he was writing for (and Gabrie, at the time, obviously did nothing to stop him). Granted, I can dig a serious Sonic story (SA2)--actually, I tend to prefer them--but the problem is his stories, as well as Bollers's stories, were leaning a little too hard with the superhero, furry teen drama and none of the fun you'd associate with this franchise (Flynn obviously turned this around dramatically). And it's always disappointing, for me, as someone who grew up reading these stories, to see what he's become and, as biznizz points out, that he more than likely lost touch with reality a long time ago.

I'd imagine that Penders would act the same way, video review or article with any picture exerpts. "You are putting up photos of my artwork and making money off of it. This is in violation of my rights and I want this taken down".

That type of deal.

He seems to be leaning in that direction. Apparently, he's demanded that all fan-art of "his" characters have © Ken Penders written on them. When challenged, he wrote: "If I wanted to do a drawing of your character, I'd ask how much for the right to do so and where to send the check."

He seems to be leaning in that direction. Apparently, he's demanded that all fan-art of "his" characters have © Ken Penders written on them. When challenged, he wrote: "If I wanted to do a drawing of your character, I'd ask how much for the right to do so and where to send the check."

Does he want to kill fan art? 

I honestly can't tell if Penders just loves hearing his own voice, or if he's just a fucking moron. For the sake of humanity, I would hope it's the former, but the latter is far more likely if the quality(or lack thereof) of his writing is any indication.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm waiting for the headlines to read, Ken sues Sega over Sonic the Hedgehog movie, if the rumors pan out to be true. With him trying to filter some of the profits by waving around his old movie ideas and saying it was his idea originally to do a movie and Sega had no right to do one without him and have profited from his idea blah blah blah.

Ah, I see what you mean, makes sense. I haven't read much of anything during that time (anything after #125 and before the Shadow story in #157-159), but I thought I read somewhere Pellerito wasn't happy with the direction of the book. I do know Penders wasn't happy that he had to actually follow orders now and he definitely wasn't happy about SEGA telling him what he can or can't do with their property. In a way, I still have to level some blame on Gabrie because he never told the creatives where the line was and not to cross it. Penders wrote those stories and caused so much of the book to just spin out of control, especially when he started shoehorning in his pet project's concepts into the book (Future Mobius; maybe if he actually didn't do this shit--and I'm sure this falls under "freelancing 101"--we wouldn't have gone through this nonsense), so he's far from blameless, but it still goes to show Gabrie was just as bad at his job as editor as Penders was at writing for an all-ages, monthly advertisement for SEGA.

It is a damn shame. Most artists and writers would give their left arm and leg for an editor that easy going. Imagine what better writers (who actually want to write a Sonic story) could do with thatc kind of freedom. Ah well.

• Thumbs Up 3

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/448209242642599936

I don't know if it's more funny or sad that Ken apparently missed the entire point of why that guy said, NO! to his suggestion that he would be incharge of a Sonic movie. (Not to mention any notion that Ken could actually make a Sonic & FF movie, and not let it be a giant advertisement for his Echyd'nya stuff)

^ I'm sure Jack Kirby would have loved if his editors (when he wasn't one himself) had allowed him more freedom. But the big differences between Jack Kirby and Ken Penders is that: 1) Jack Kirby had actual writer/illustrator talent, 2) Jack Kirby was in general a better person than Penders could ever hope, and 3) Jack's fight for his characters didn't sully his legacy and ruin his work for the readers because of his antics.

There's more, mind you, but those are some of the biggies.

Part of me feels as though Penders was replaced by a pod person clone, or got some alien parasite controlling his mind.

Sure, it's stupid, but it's much less so than seeing an actual person c act and do so many things as astonishingly moronic and naive. dry.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I think more than anything, Penders has just finally snapped under all the hate he's come under and is dropping his facade of being a reasonable person. He's just like his admin, BobR, when he lost his cool. 

Well, good on him for losing more fans like this.

Part of me feels as though Penders was replaced by a pod person clone, or got some alien parasite controlling his mind.

Sure, it's stupid, but it's much less so than seeing an actual person c act and do so many things as astonishingly moronic and naive. dry.png

Oh, please can someone point at him and shriek in an unearthly voice?! :D

Follow

@HypotheDragon You're absolutely correct. That should be the 2nd film. The first should establish Robotnik taking over and fighting the FF.

Why do I get the feeling that Part 1 would heavily copy and paste from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood?

If he thinks that's going to stop anyone, he's mistaken. I don't care how many C&D letters I get, I'm not giving that man any credit for what I draw!

• Thumbs Up 6

He's just like his admin, BobR, when he lost his cool.

Oooooooh, tell me the story! I missed out on the Penders era as a whole, but it's just so fascinating to read about as a long-time comics fan

I think more than anything, Penders has just finally snapped under all the hate he's come under and is dropping his facade of being a reasonable person. He's just like his admin, BobR, when he lost his cool. 

Well, good on him for losing more fans like this.

You know what they say - Karma's a bitch!

And Wynmacher wears a Darth Vader-esque suit for some unknown reason...

*darth vader Knuckles*

Speaking of which, there's another echidna who looks like one of the Star Trek characters from Next Generation. You know, the one with the visor. The above example isn't too bad but I'm amazed how Penders could get away with having an echidna dressed up as a Star Trek character! Surely SEGA wouldn't let that slide nowadays.

Actually, here's an image that perfectly describes every echidna in Ken Pender's world (well there is Finitevus who was not created by Penders but eh). It's hilariously accurate! =D

*knuckles family tree*

I lost it at "red Sonic" XD

• Thumbs Up 4

Oooooooh, tell me the story! I missed out on the Penders era as a whole, but it's just so fascinating to read about as a long-time comics fan

Check out this link.

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2629

He loses his cool very quickly in the face of opposition and breaks his own forum rules, when it's his job to keep order.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something's been bugging me for a while. What lead Ken to one day do all this? Did he leave Archie on bad terms or something?

Something's been bugging me for a while. What lead Ken to one day do all this? Did he leave Archie on bad terms or something?

From an outsider's point of view, it seemed that Ken was kicked by Sega because of the direction he was taking the comics in.

Or maybe it actually was a case where Archie was dropping in popularity and they needed a new inspiring writer to write new material, because when looking and hearing about past stories in the series, they all sound like they've been going for years on end.

For example, I didn't know or care who these echidnas were that were everywhere, I just knew that I wanted them GONE because I had grown up knowing Knuckles being the last of his kind and the other echidna in Sonic the Comic was actually played with Knuckles being startled and overwhelmed with the fact another existed...except he turned out to be an outsider and ultimately not a true echidna.

Just ehh...there was too much nonsense I couldn't handle as a Sonic fan who was an outsider to Archie due to regions.

From an outsider's point of view, it seemed that Ken was kicked by Sega because of the direction he was taking the comics in.

Or maybe it actually was a case where Archie was dropping in popularity and they needed a new inspiring writer to write new material, because when looking and hearing about past stories in the series, they all sound like they've been going for years on end.

For example, I didn't know or care who these echidnas were that were everywhere, I just knew that I wanted them GONE because I had grown up knowing Knuckles being the last of his kind and the other echidna in Sonic the Comic was actually played with Knuckles being startled and overwhelmed with the fact another existed...except he turned out to be an outsider and ultimately not a true echidna.

Just ehh...there was too much nonsense I couldn't handle as a Sonic fan who was an outsider to Archie due to regions.

As a former reader of Sonic the Comic myself, I felt the same way at first. But when I got to know the characters, I found I quite liked them. Also, given that I introduced a whole bunch of echidnas of my own into my own Sonic fan comic, I can hardly criticise. Still, I get that your mileage may vary. 

Didn't he lose his shit over Sonic Chronicles, how the game apparently ripped off some of his ideas for the comic? I know he tried to take Sega and Archie to court over that, which gave us what we have now.

Also holy fucking shit, that thing with Mega Collection. I can't believe he's seriously considering taking legal action against something like that. I'm trying to wrap my head around why he might think this is a bad thing. Was he not aware of the game showcasing his artwork for so long?

Wild guess, but I'm thinking that he doesn't have any say in how those covers are used if it's Archie using them. Archie gave Sega permission, and in turn Sega gave Archie promotion in the game. It's nothing but good publicity, something he doesn't seem to understand just because his art was used.

And even then, it was ten years ago. What exactly could they do about it now? Say he is right, and Archie didn't have any right to use the covers, what will they do aside from give him more money? Destroy all remaining copies of the game? All of the millions of copies of the game, across four platforms?

I'm not too familiar with a lot of things Penders related, but this has to be the worst thing from him I've seen in a long while.

As a former reader of Sonic the Comic myself, I felt the same way at first. But when I got to know the characters, I found I quite liked them. Also, given that I introduced a whole bunch of echidnas of my own into my own Sonic fan comic, I can hardly criticise. Still, I get that your mileage may vary. 

I can see that from your avatar that you like echidnas, but I am one of those Sonic fans that go 'THAT AIN'T RIGHT YO' x)

I gotta say the relationships annoyed me too and how they dragged the main cast into a little bit of an OOC light. While it wasn't bad, per say, it was just a little bit of what I just said too.

I never liked the idea of Knuckles being the last of his kind, since it raises too many questions for my liking. Even in the games, I prefer to believe that Knuckles is only the last member of his tribe and maybe the last echidna in that part of the world.

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't he lose his shit over Sonic Chronicles, how the game apparently ripped off some of his ideas for the comic? I know he tried to take Sega and Archie to court over that, which gave us what we have now.

The funny thing about Chronicles, to me at least, is that I honestly felt that it had more of a Sonic the Comic vibe than anything else. Robotnik felt like StC Robotnik in his prime, and the use of Metropolis as his headquarters was very familiar. And do I really need to point out the similarity between the end of the game (where Robotnik has taken over the world because Sonic and friends were gone for so long due to the time differential between Earth and the Twilight Cage) and issue #8 of StC (where Robotnik takes over Mobius by sending Sonic six months into the future)? 

Of course, having read StH (and KtE) now, I can see the similarities between the Nocturn and the Dark Legion. But if I'd been in Penders' shoes, I'd have called it a homage, rather than plagiarism. That's what I liked about Sonic Chronicles; it drew upon ideas from throughout the Sonic franchise and it was pretty awesome (even if the gameplay wasn't up to much, the story kept me interested). 

I can see that from your avatar that you like echidnas, but I am one of those Sonic fans that go 'THAT AIN'T RIGHT YO' x)

That is Empress Kari-Ya, one of the characters in my comic. :)