Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Haven't people been arrested for talking about stuff like that on twitter/facebook or whatever? He'd better be careful or he's going to have new charges against ... you know what? Post away Ken!

Given that he said 'so I won't bother' to that, I think he's off the legal hook for the moment... but the damage is done, and nobody who looks upon him and these statements is going to think well about him.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what's worse. Simon Furman, who hates the idea of female Transformers and left the main IDW Transformers series in a huff to re-live his glory days by writing another twenty issue of his classic Marvel run -- without any females in it at all -- while the main series actually embraced female characters and went from strength to strength without him, or Ken Penders, who fills his fiction with female characters and fancies himself as some kind progressive, but doesn't have the faintest idea how to write women, and clearly harbours some deeply rooted misogyny that, every now and then, bubbles up to the surface. 

I guess Penders, because at least Furman doesn't try to write women anymore (and thank Primus for that, considering the last time he wrote Arcee, he made her a homicidal maniac). 

Penders, by far.

At least Furman didn't try to make his own original series starring Grimlock-With-A-Top-Hat that was basically a robot soap opera, and at least his Transformers stories were actually good and he does have some warranted importance when it comes to Transformers (he is where we got Primus and why Unicron isn't depicted as a creation of some random space monkey nowadays).

Also, I don't know about the whole controversy with him (aside from making Arcee a crazy transgender and nobody liking it, which I agree with), but from what I read, it seems to be more or less an attempt to justify gender among what is basically a race of genderless robots (IIRC it's been a problem in Transformers since day one, alongside scale) that ended up being poorly thought out with unfortunate implications. And I don't think I've read anything saying he's misogynstic outside of TF.

If I misunderstood/forgot something, I apologise.

At the very least, getting this sort of thing out there with responsible and knowledgeable members of the comic industry is really going to hurt his reputation and with any luck get him to grow up.

Especially considering what happened with that guy from the Clarence series in the last week, the entertainment industry is quickly and rightfully becoming a place where casual homogenization of rape culture and other such creepinesses are not tolerated. If he can't even learn to respect anyone besides himself, let alone show an ignorant disregard of privacy and equality, then I can't expect he'll get very far in an industry that's really growing on those points.

• Thumbs Up 9

Who from what? What's Clarence? Because the only thing I can think of is that cartoon that my younger brother just started watching.

Or... wait. Is it something from the UK? (From 'Murica over here).

Basically the creator of Clarence, Skyler Page, got fired for sexual harrasment.

It's a Cartoon Network show about the titular boy and his friends. Don't watch it myself (in fact I didn't even know it existed until recently).

Penders, by far.

At least Furman didn't try to make his own original series starring Grimlock-With-A-Top-Hat that was basically a robot soap opera, and at least his Transformers stories were actually good and he does have some warranted importance when it comes to Transformers (he is where we got Primus and why Unicron isn't depicted as a creation of some random space monkey nowadays).

Also, I don't know about the whole controversy with him (aside from making Arcee a crazy transgender and nobody liking it, which I agree with), but from what I read, it seems to be more or less an attempt to justify gender among what is basically a race of genderless robots (IIRC it's been a problem in Transformers since day one, alongside scale) that ended up being poorly thought out with unfortunate implications. And I don't think I've read anything saying he's misogynstic outside of TF.

If I misunderstood/forgot something, I apologise.

Yeah, that's his rationale (and the rationale of every dudebro Transformers fanboy out there who doesn't like the idea of female Transformers), but the problem with that is that they're not genderless. They are male. They're written as male, they use male pronouns, they are male. So, it's a bit disingenuous to claim that they're genderless. Moreover, female Transformers have been there since 1985, so it's not exactly a revolutionary concept. 

As for Arcee being a crazy transgender, that one hurts me especially. Because I am transgender. And I am not crazy, as far as I know. 

But this is wildly off topic. 

Who from what? What's Clarence? Because the only thing I can think of is that cartoon that my younger brother just started watching.

The very same cartoon. Long story short, one of the co-creators for it sexually harassed another Cartoon Network member, who came forward and publically told people what he had done. He was promptly fired, lost tons of support from coworkers and industry members, and more importantly many people from the cartoon industry offered unanimous support for the victim and urged that their industry needs to be a safe comfortable environment for all the fantastic people working in it.

As far as I know, similar things have happened in the comic industry recently too. So I hope there can come a day where these industries are truly safe from sickening people like this.

At this point I'm honestly fucking horrified.

caVcZWb.png

I swear to GOD if this guy is implying what I think he's implying. I- No. This man. "Athletic gear" Implying there's gonna be "teenage sex" in his comic. Hrrrrnnnggghhhh. Did this man- DID THIS MAN literally just want to make some weird comic to satisfy his strange fetishes. Because if this is the case, I see absolutely no reason as to why this man wanted Archie Sonic characters to play part in this. I mean for fuck's sake, they are SONIC characters. What kind of sick freak is this guy?

And I honestly don't even know what the hell that pitch for a Sonic movie was supposed to be either. Didn't this man say in the past that he didn't give a shit about the Sonic franchise and he only liked working for the comics because of Knuckles and his so called "family" (honestly he might as well have reproduced asexually through mitosis). 

I do not understand how this man could possibly be serious at this point. No. NO. That's it. I am convinced this is all because he has some strange fetish with Knuckles. As if that "athletic gear" wasn't proof enough. How old is this man even? I can't think of anyone that would go this far just to make a comic "fans wanted". I wouldn't be surprised if he got injured in some freak accident causing him to go insane. I mean hell, that would not only explain his retarded decisions, but how the fact that his art got worse over the years. 

Why. Just why. I really should stay away from this thread because I feel my brain cells dying. Quickly. But it's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion and you just can't help but watch as you wonder what the hell will blow up next. *shudders* I am severely disgusted by this man.

• Thumbs Up 3

Holy sh*t. This was news to me.

I also recall an incident where a "gender progressive" writer (Brian Wood) over at Marvel (I think at the time he was writing a comic that was predominantly female in terms of cast), and he was also accused of sexual harrassment.

I didn't follow it too closely (DC guy here), but I'll assume that the woman was correct and that he was a creep.

I've also heard about SuperPsyguy's antics with young/underage girls.

I feel I'm surrounded by all this crap right now.

Hi,

I'm new here (some of you might recognize my username) but I created an account to comment on this...situation.  I'm been reading up on this whole situation for the past few years in great curiousity.  A lot of people are familiar with "Chris-Chan" and his oh-so-original knockoff "Sonichu"...I'd rather not go any further with that but a lot of you know about that anyways.  I believe Mr. Penders is becoming the next "Chris Chan" in how despised the guy is becoming in not only his actions but what he says and does.  He truly believes that what he is doing is original and the Sonic fandom would nowhere without him.  10 years ago, I might have believed that partially.  He HELPED lay the groundwork that would become a whole world of characters people knew and loved but once he left the book, he became bitter.  Ian Flynn one upped him in not only story but dialouge as well.  Once the fans had completely taken over the book, things got infinitely more enjoyable again.  By the time Ken's tenure was done, the book was not doing that well quality wise.  I mean, he was practically ripping off Terminator with the creation of M...but I know, he ripped off Star Wars with all those land speeders and Millenium Falcon cameos already right (though you could call those tongue in cheek)?

Ken-chan is now a shadow of a once respectable writer.  He could've just left it at that and lived his life, knowing that he created a world that would be remembered by his fans as "the good ole' days" of the Sonic comic.  But now it's become laughable at best.  With all these "works of art" including that redesigned Knuckles with blonde hair...really, Knuckles was never a blonde! Remember when they made the T-1000 a blonde in the Double Dragon movie (or the actor anyway)? Yeah, don't remember it do you?  It was that forgettable. This "Ken-chan Creations TM" is a farce of multi-dimensional proportions!  Remember all those alternate universe Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles we saw? It's like Ken thought to himself "those characters need to be fleshed out! Next time, Terminator Tails will get a movie but first Knuckles in BLONDE HAIR!"  Seriously Ken.  I used to respect this man.  I kept all issues of Knuckles The Echidna in poly bags with nice clean backing boards.  I always sighed at the fact that I never got Knuckles#31...but now, I'm glad I denied him that money at all!

I don't hate the man...I hate what he has become.  I hate seeing anyone becoming a shadow of their former selves like this mutation that Ken is now.  The Ken Penders that was or may have been...is dead.  He has been replaced by a machine that has succeeded in destroying the continuity of a great series that is now in tatters.  Never before have I seen a comic storyline reflect the feelings of a fanbase in general...I wore a Sonic T-Shirt to Free Comic Book Day 2013 and people who came up to me were like "oh, you hear about Ken Penders?"....I was embarassed to say yes....to say it like I was embarassed of a relative.

So Ken-chan, I hope this doesn't succeed.  This story was already told in the official, real comics and was infinitely better.  Heck, ALTERNATE Lara-Su was wrapped up and got an awesome final form.   We don't need the "Lara-Su Chronicles"...the "Silver Saga" is already that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I will say that there was some women at the con that wore some outfits that were kinda revealing but, as I saw what kind of color or boots they had on. They were just cosplaying, your character is wearing something that you said that was because of the climate and sports, just because it's filled with water doesn't mean they have to wear bikinis. I saw people on the beach wearing normal clothes that you would wear every other day. Seriously penders, read your tweets over.

I've also heard about SuperPsyguy's antics with young/underage girls.

I...don't think a lot of people here have. Eeeee.

Yeah it's honestly beginning to seem like TL-SC is a set of fantasies at this point. Or.. "Ken Pandering". Badumtss? Either way he seems more concerned with fulfilling this fantasy than actually making a good story. I fear that this whole Archie thing has made him so obsessed with the situation that it's harming his talent (and sense).

I feel I'm surrounded by all this crap right now.

The crap's always been there, society's just finally reaching a point where the crap can be called out and things will actually be done about it rather than be covered up.

• Thumbs Up 7

At this point I'm honestly fucking horrified.

caVcZWb.png

I swear to GOD if this guy is implying what I think he's implying. I- No. This man. "Athletic gear" Implying there's gonna be "teenage sex" in his comic. Hrrrrnnnggghhhh. Did this man- DID THIS MAN literally just want to make some weird comic to satisfy his strange fetishes. Because if this is the case, I see absolutely no reason as to why this man wanted Archie Sonic characters to play part in this. I mean for fuck's sake, they are SONIC characters. What kind of sick freak is this guy?

And I honestly don't even know what the hell that pitch for a Sonic movie was supposed to be either. Didn't this man say in the past that he didn't give a shit about the Sonic franchise and he only liked working for the comics because of Knuckles and his so called "family" (honestly he might as well have reproduced asexually through mitosis). 

I do not understand how this man could possibly be serious at this point. No. NO. That's it. I am convinced this is all because he has some strange fetish with Knuckles. As if that "athletic gear" wasn't proof enough. How old is this man even? I can't think of anyone that would go this far just to make a comic "fans wanted". I wouldn't be surprised if he got injured in some freak accident causing him to go insane. I mean hell, that would not only explain his retarded decisions, but how the fact that his art got worse over the years. 

Why. Just why. I really should stay away from this thread because I feel my brain cells dying. Quickly. But it's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion and you just can't help but watch as you wonder what the hell will blow up next. *shudders* I am severely disgusted by this man.

Yeah, we've been talking about the whole PG-13 and hints to Teenage Sex for the last couple of pages.

One thing I forgot to mention. I hope to God his stories aren't published and sold in comic book stores and book shops. The last thing we need is some kid going "Ooohhhh! Is that Knuckles?", picking up the story, reading it, getting mentally scarred and ultimately hating the Sonic franchise because of it. And don't you dare tell me "there's no way that can happen" because it is highly possible and it's one of the reasons I fear his project will be successful (as in actually getting printed on paper). The last thing we need is people shitting on the Sonic franchise more simply because a close minded pervert like Penders decided to publish his furry fetish fiction that "is completely original and in no way related to Knuckles or the Sonic franchise and SEGA". 

Edit: 

Yeah, we've been talking about the whole PG-13 and hints to Teenage Sex for the last couple of pages.

And I'm just late to the party... But still, I had to share my thoughts on that. 

Edited by SwiftWinds
  • Thumbs Up 4

I...don't think a lot of people here have. Eeeee.

It's sad, because back in the day, I did visit Fireball20xl quite a bit (and it exists even tho it's a shell of it's former self now).

But DAMN. I never expected to hear just how big a creep he really is. At first I thought it was a joke, before soon realizing that this was all too real, as anyone who would try to joke/make this sh*t up would be royally screwed up. Then the corraboration from other women confirmed it.

Yeah it's honestly beginning to seem like TL-SC is a set of fantasies at this point. Or.. "Ken Pandering". Badumtss? Either way he seems more concerned with fulfilling this fantasy than actually making a good story. I fear that this whole Archie thing has made him so obsessed with the situation that it's harming his talent (and sense).

The crap's always been there, society's just finally reaching a point where the crap can be called out and things will actually be done about it rather than be covered up.

That and there is a bit of a backlash from the entitled, self-important dudebros, who don't like the fact that their casual misogyny is finally being called out, so they're doubling down and being even greater assholes about it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I honestly hope Sega find out about Fuckles and do something about it. Kenny Boy has already crossed the line and taken a shit on said line. Ripping off Knuckles, trying to give these characters sex appeal, and finally that disgusting sex. I seriously wonder what the f**k is wrong with him.

I honestly hope Sega find out about Fuckles and do something about it. Kenny Boy has already crossed the line and taken a shit on said line. Ripping off Knuckles, trying to give these characters sex appeal, and finally that disgusting sex. I seriously wonder what the f**k is wrong with him.

I sent it to them actually.

At this point, given his tweets today, I really want Sega to sue the man into bankruptcy. That's incredibly mean of me, I know, but I'm not sorry. Men like this do not deserve success. Not when there are better writers struggling to get any recognition at all. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Guys, Ken Penders is enough of an asshole by himself. You don't need to intentionally read everything he says in the most offensive possible way to make him more so.

The "photos of girls" tweets clearly don't... it's the kind of threat where you point to someone else. He's not saying "pay me and I'll send you lecherous photos", he's saying "you think what I did is bad you should see what some of these are wearing".

IT's bad in that he's judging the cosplayers and that's shitty, but he's not being a stalker or anything.

• Thumbs Up 9

So I've been thinking that maybe SEGA will step in and sue or C&D Ken Penders only if the comic actually does end up being published. Once they find out he's selling a comic book with Knuckles rejects doing inappropriate "PG-13" things and earning money from it, they better step in and stop the guy. He needs to know that sticking to his Archie comic roots is wrong and he needs try and be more, hmm I dunno, original.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, I agree he's probably not a stalker, that's not really what I got from that tweet so much as he's a judgmental jerkass. But he's definitely coming across as really creepy right now with the "lol teenage sex" tweet and how he's defending it.

*shrug*

• Thumbs Up 4

So I've been thinking that maybe SEGA will step in and sue or C&D Ken Penders only if the comic actually does end up being published. Once they find out he's selling a comic book with Knuckles rejects doing inappropriate "PG-13" things and earning money from it, they better step in and stop the guy. He needs to know that sticking to his Archie comic roots is wrong and he needs try and be more, hmm I dunno, original.

Wasn't he doing this already? He was selling pictures of his ripoffs for $20 and you can get your picture with "Bikini Jail Bait" for $20 too.