Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Oh, I agree he's probably not a stalker, that's not really what I got from that tweet so much as he's a judgmental jerkass. But he's definitely coming across as really creepy right now with the "lol teenage sex" tweet and how he's defending it.

*shrug*

Pretty much this. My mind never went to "stalker", so much as to "slut shamer", and the kind of mentality that would respond to a rape victim with, "well, what were you wearing?"

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point, given his tweets today, I really want Sega to sue the man into bankruptcy. That's incredibly mean of me, I know, but I'm not sorry. Men like this do not deserve success. Not when there are better writers struggling to get any recognition at all. 

I can't believe I'm stepping in to defend friggin Ken Penders of all people, but let's maybe not wish fire and brimstone on him, yeah? He's an idiot and a jerkwad, yes, but there comes a point where we've saddled him with even worse traits than he actually has. The stuff he's said today could be just as easily said out of malice as out of tiredness or frustration or any number of things. It's not our right to cherry-pick the worst possible scenario and accept that as the truth with no hard evidence.

Yes, the teenage sex thing is incredibly skeevy, but the rest are a lot more gray to dictate from our position. Some of you guys really scare me with the intense zeal you have in hating this man.

• Thumbs Up 5

@Gabz: Even if he does ever actually publish it, will anyone actually buy it....other then a couple peeps who want a copy to bash, er I mean review AT4W style.

• Thumbs Up 1

Someone with photoshop magic needs to make an image of Ken Penders looking in the mirror, but instead of his own reflection, it's Knu--ahem, the Praetorian. Optional: text that reads "when will my reflection show, who I am inside?"

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe I'm stepping in to defend friggin Ken Penders of all people, but let's maybe not wish fire and brimstone on him, yeah? He's an idiot and a jerkwad, yes, but there comes a point where we've saddled him with even worse traits than he actually has. The stuff he's said today could be just as easily said out of malice as out of tiredness or frustration or any number of things. It's not our right to cherry-pick the worst possible scenario and accept that as the truth with no hard evidence.

Yes, the teenage sex thing is incredibly skeevy, but the rest are a lot more gray to dictate from our position. Some of you guys really scare me with the intense zeal you have in hating this man.

Bankruptcy is hardly the worst thing that's been wished upon him in this thread. But, as I said, I'm not sorry. I have no time or respect for misogynists, and I'm afraid there is too much of a pattern of misogyny in his works -- past and present -- for me to chalk this up to him being tired and frustrated. 

Moreover, I don't hate Penders. I pity him. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I honestly didn't actually hate him that much til I read his costume shaming tweet. I don't think he's a stalker and never implied he was, but I always thought he was a little too obsessed and now after reading that I genuinely think he's a misguided creep and yes, like Bethany said, his tweet implies that he is the kind of person to say "if you get shamed it's your own fault for wearing what you wore" whilst simultaneously making excuses for his own perverse creations because "there are people who are """worse""" ".

Threatening to take photos of con goers and post them isn't stalking, it's shaming and judging, and the way he says it entirely implies malicious intent.

He's a creep who has proven today to also be a passively misogynistic and completely judgemental old man. I do not and would never wish pain or ill health on him or his family, but he does need to be called out on his frankly extremely creepy bullshit especially if there's any chance of him ever growing up.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't really wish anything bad on him, no real point to that. But I think it's fair to not want him to be successful. Though, wishing for that is kind of like wishing for the sun to rise each morning--it's inevitable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bankruptcy is hardly the worst thing that's been wished upon him in this thread. But, as I said, I'm not sorry. I have no time or respect for misogynists, and I'm afraid there is too much of a pattern of misogyny in his works -- past and present -- for me to chalk this up to him being tired and frustrated. 

You see misogyny, I see regular old stupidity. On the whole, he seems more the senile, casually racist grandpa than the he-man woman hater you've cast him as. Malice is an easy thing to ascribe to people, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. The world doesn't run black and white like that.

Threatening to take photos of con goers and post them isn't stalking, it's shaming and judging, and the way he says it entirely implies malicious intent.

"Shaming and judging," or being yet another example of Penders misguidedly deflecting his own inadequacies on the closest thing he can think of?

• Thumbs Up 1

Moreover, I don't hate Penders. I pity him. 

To be fair, I said the same kind of thing yesterday. So I could be put in this camp too. Sadly I think it's the only way he'll learn.

Yeah I went too far of saying that. My apologies. And I don't pity Penders I hate him. I'll laugh and watch him fall.

You see misogyny, I see regular old stupidity. On the whole, he seems more the senile, casually racist grandpa than the he-man woman hater you've cast him as. Malice is an easy thing to ascribe to people, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. The world doesn't run black and white like that.

Do I need to bring up the time Sally and Bunnie fell into Robotnik's trap cunningly disguised as a mini mall? Or the multiple issues of Sally and Julie-Su complaining about their men in the first M:25YL arc?

'cause us womenfolk only care about boys and shopping.

• Thumbs Up 4

"Shaming and judging," or being yet another example of Penders misguidedly deflecting his own inadequacies on the closest thing he can think of?

I think it's a little of both.

• Thumbs Up 4

Do I need to bring up the time Sally and Bunnie fell into Robotnik's trap cunningly disguised as a mini mall? Or the multiple issues of Sally and Julie-Su complaining about their men in the first M:25YL arc?

Again, casually racist grandpa. You would not believe how many times my own old folks would innocently assert the most absurd stereotypes out of ignorance.

I think it's a little of both.

And that's kinda the point. We don't really have a full grasp on the situation to say one or the other with 100% certainty, other than that we all really don't like him. Malicious slut-shaming is entirely a possibility, but it's one out of multiple.

Again, casually racist grandpa. You would not believe how many times my own old folks would innocently assert the most absurd stereotypes out of ignorance.

Just curious, are you saying he's like Jeremy Clarkson? If so, look at all the trouble he gets for saying casually racist grandpa stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Casually misogynist, more like. Moreover, ignorance is no excuse. I don't give a crap how old someone is. When someone is sexist, I call them on it. Shutting up and tolerating prejudice just 'cause it's from an older generation, who "doesn't know any better", doesn't help to fix the problem. 

• Thumbs Up 3

That's why I said passively misogynistic. He's ignorant and misguided, he doesn't think he's being misogynistic or perpetuating rape culture but he is. That doesn't mean it's ok to just let him be that way, especially if it could be potentially dangerous. If he's pushed into a corner, who knows, he may actually publically "shame and compare" Lara-Su's costume with a completely innocent con-goer. Do we have any reason to believe he definitely wouldn't, especially after what he said?

Calling him out on it is perfectly fine, disliking him for it is completely understandable. He's trying to enter an increasingly progressive medium with a comic starring a largely female cast, he's not going to last long with passive misogynism of this level.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just curious, are you saying he's like Jeremy Clarkson? If so, look at all the trouble he gets for saying casually racist grandpa stuff.

Except Clarkson is more well-known than Penders.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/483682614713135104

Ken Penders @KenPenders

The US Supreme Court - and the reaction of the GOP to the ruling in the Hobby Lobby case- clearly establish both as anti-women.

11:44 AM - 30 Jun 2014

He likes to pretend to be progressive, when his work shows him to be the exact opposite. I wouldn't call him an "ignorant old grandpa", I'd call him a clueless, hypocrtical sack o' sh*t.

• Thumbs Up 5

Don't forget him trying to repeatedly kill off a lead female so that he could replace her with her own brother. Or the fact he wrote a Princess Sally miniseries that was more about his own male character than her. Or the fact he had Lupe willingly roboticize herself and then stated it was to show that 'even a woman' could take that kind of bullet for their families.

Oh, and of course, him reducing Sally to a submissive damsel during that ridiculous 'Evil Antoine' storyline; terribly sorry princess, you may have lead your friends in battle against an insane tyrant from the time you were a kid, but daddy says its time to marry someone you don't love, so hop to it!

And then we have him sexualizing a teenaged character, in a work he has repeatedly stated is aimed towards young teenage girls. 

If he didn't try to paint himself as some kind of uber progressive, maybe it would not stand out as much, but the fact is in both his past run on the comic and his current material, along with his statements, does not paint a good picture of him, whether he is aware of his actions or not. He does not get to claim himself a feminist when he says and does things like this, and no one is in the wrong for calling him out for his shitty behavior. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So now we have copyright theft and lewd sexual content.

So far, the only no-nos Penders hasn't done yet are rascism, sexism, and personal attacks.

This story just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

Thanks for being unaware of your stupidity, Penders.

I used to have a friend who was both passively misogynistic and passively racist. He reckoned that it was only ever really prejudiced if you meant it that way. I'm sorry, but no. That is not how it works. And getting all defensive and trying to rationalise it away when someone calls you out on your prejudice does you no favours. 

As SuperLink said, passive misogyny is still harmful, because it perpetuates a culture of ambient misogyny. We absolutely should call people on it, when they say stupid, ignorant, sexist things, whether it was their intention to be sexist or not. 

• Thumbs Up 6

So far, the only no-nos Penders hasn't done yet are rascism, sexism, and personal attacks.

He hasn't really stolen any copyrights and while he's not bound to do anything worth with it, he hasn't exactly added lewd sexual content either to what we've seen. Lara-Su is in a bikini and from what we know there might be scenes of like two teens in the bushes and giggles. I don't feel comfortable defending the man because he's really doing a load of shit, but falling in slippery slopes isn't helpful either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed. No matter how clean or good one tries to act. Eventually Your sewer will burst and people will see all your crap.

And yeah, I wouldn't say I hate Ken so much as I just feel ashsmed a guy that wrote stories I enjoyed reading growing up as a kid has turned out to be a complete jerk-ass/loon.

IMO it's only a matter of time before this whole mess implodes like a neutron star! Be it legal action from SEGA or verb the few remaining Penders supporters giving up on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

He baselessly accused Ian Flynn of stealing his ideas, most of his ad campaign has focused on male characters over the female lead of his intended series, and the denizens of Mysterious Cat Country bring up ALL kinds of unfortunate implications about jungle dwelling peoples. 

So yeah, he's pretty much the full package. 

• Thumbs Up 1