Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Wait, isn't Bernie his wife (as well as who he named Sonic's mum after)?

Yes. Bernadette is Ken's wife, she is the one of this photo:

Brqxbz4CMAAXP9O.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently the new Lien-Da is getting a lot of positive reaction. Just unfortunate that it's likely that half the people there were people who were either related or close friends with you. Then again, if 2 people got their picture taken for the lols with this crappy design, he'd probably consider himself as popular as Stan Lee and Lien-Da as one of the great successes in comic history.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485532901417578497

Yes. Bernadette is Ken's wife, she is the one of this photo:Brqxbz4CMAAXP9O.jpg

Aaah, so she IS his wife. Well, that clears that up.

Ken, here's a news flash; family members tend to support each other's ventures, no matter how ill-conceived. This isn't helping to prove anything. 

Also, something that I noticed but, concerning that Commission of his... why doesn't it have a signature? Aren't convention pieces supposed to have the creator's signature in order to verify that they did make it there??

• Thumbs Up 2

I came back from FLSC. I went by pender's booth (thank goodness he didn't notice me) and he offered me one of his drawings. I told him that his art is pretty bad and that it looked like they were melting. He then told me that I didn't have skills as an artist and that "let's see you do better" thing, I then walked over to the poster and told him why does the red encinda look like knuckles. He then told to back away from his poster. I didn't and he told me he was going to call the authorties. So, I backed away from the poster. I told him that he could get in trouble and asked why does he look like knuckles, but he just ignored me and didn't talk me at all (also I think he lied about calling the authorites). So, I gave up and left.

Edit: I didn't really want to tell anyone but, I sorta threw up in front of the LSC poster....my bad.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeah, Penders confirmed for dropping the nice-guy facade at last.

No matter how hard Penders tries, his characters and story (in this case, Light Mobius/M:25YL) will always heavily connected to the Archie Sonic universe and the Sega franchise. Why doesn't Penders just create his own original story in the first place, and the Sonic comic be!

If this were a simple fan with an idea for an alternate Sonic universe story, and got the proper permission from Sega, while they continued their current installments, I could forgive him. Plenty of fans would want to come up with an installment to add to their beloved franchise, without hurting the canon of the main one.

But noooooo, Penders is actually a butthurt grown man who left Archie when people started getting sick of his ideas. Out for compensation, he took back every character he ever created, even though they were NEVER created for his personal ownership/use in the first place! They were meant for the freakin' comic! That was their world, NOT YOURS, PENDERS! Those were Sonic's parents, not yours! When they were created in the comic, they were essentially a gift to our blue hedgehog, who is a creation of Sega. And that goes for every other Sonic characters' relatives you took away. When Inafune left Capcom, he didn't take Megaman away (even though it may have cost fans any future Megaman titles), he moved on and created Mighty No. 9 (an expy of our blue bomber).

Go see a shrink or something, and drop the ego! You even scared Flynn away from your works.

I really seriously hope Sega take action against this asshole. If Superwplf paid to go to the con and was only giving his opinion and also asking a question to him, then I don't see what right Penders has to call the authorities on him. 

I came back from FLSC. I went by pender's booth (thank goodness he didn't notice me) and he offered me one of his drawings. I told him that his art is pretty bad and that it looked like they were melting. He then told me that I didn't have skills as an artist and that "let's see you do better" thing, I then walked over to the poster and told him why does the red encinda look like knuckles. He then told to back away from his poster. I didn't and he told me he was going to call the authorties. So, I backed away from the poster. I told him that he could get in trouble and asked why does he look like knuckles, but he just ignored me and didn't talk me at all (also I think he lied about calling the authorites). So, I gave up and left.

Was there anyone at his booth? 

I really seriously hope Sega take action against this asshole. If Superwplf paid to go to the con and was only giving his opinion and also asking a question to him, then I don't see what right Penders has to call the authorities on him. 

Was there anyone at his booth?

I think he's wife was there.

I mean't like actual fans. Ya know, that so called positive reception he's getting?

Honestly, he must have been desperate to actual stop you and say he'll draw for you. Did he want any money for the drawing or did he offer to do it for free?

I mean't like actual fans. Ya know, that so called positive reception he's getting?

Honestly, he must have been desperate to actual stop you and say he'll draw for you. Did he want any money for the drawing or did he offer to do it for free?

He wanted 20$ and he's wife was the only one there at the time.

Edit: I didn't really want to tell anyone but, I sorta threw up in front of the LSC poster....my bad.

Classy guy, that Penders. Responding to critcism like a champ and answering people's questions and stamping out confusion wherever it may appear. We are not worthy to be in his presence.

And you don't need to be an artist to be able to criticize art... How in the world did this man hold a job in the comics industry as long as he did? I guess when Gabrie was there for a long time he didn't need to worry about criticism, but still...

Wait a second, he stopped you and offered a drawing and then wanted money for it? That sounds a bit desperate if he needs to stop people in a attempt to get them to pay him for a drawing and then when you decline and tell him you don't like his art, he tries to insult you, Stay classy Ken -_-

Classy guy, that Penders. Responding to critcism like a champ and answering people's questions and stamping out confusion wherever it may appear. We are not worthy to be in his presence.

And you don't need to be an artist to be able to criticize art... How in the world did this man hold a job in the comics industry as long as he did? I guess when Gabrie was there for a long time he didn't need to worry about criticism, but still...

Raw, dumb luck. Archie was very shabbily run during those days and with comparatively little oversight, and he had a string of editors who didn't really do their jobs, Gabrie being the most notable about them. Combine the fact that he was writing for a Sonic product during the peak of the franchise's popularity, and he was in a perfect position to thrive while doing genuinely shabby work and behaving like a wretched human being.

All of his other ventures for other companies? Much shorter, and given that he had troubles while working for DC's Star trek comics in the 80s, I don't think he ever had what it took to be part of a work environment with actual standards. He likes to claim bad luck when it comes to this, but the simple fact is, he never developed any real ability to do much else other than coast on Sonic's popularity, and never got used to actual standards or being told 'no'. The few times this DID happen, he treats it still like a crime against him and his creativity. 

• Thumbs Up 2

@ChaosSupeeme: But LSC isn't an anime...

And yes there are men & women over sexualized in comics, I don't think anyone would deny that. But there's just something skeevy about taking a character that used to be in a Children's comic and sexualizing her like that * not to mention imply she's sexually active*. The whole thing is fan-fic level material more so then legit stuff.

My point wasn't about LSC being an anime, but how people are overreacting to a sexualized teenager despite seeing such in media out there such as anime.

Nevermind that I made a point about the extent that is an isn't acceptable and how messed up it is to portray something this way in this comic. It's like you only read half of what I said.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still waiting for him to declare himself Jesus so that people will notice his stupidity.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mmmh-hmm... that so? Cause you know, much as I really don't have much trouble believing all manner of shitty behavior from Penders, this all sounds a bit over the top and, dare I say, convenient? You even added throwing up a bit at seeing his poster... wretched as it is, I sincerely doubt anyone actually WOULD throw up just from seeing it.

Your last story was shaky, but believable enough. This however sounds like a variation of the last one with even MORE bad behavior from Penders, and if he really responded to having his photo taken like you suggest, I'm fairly certain he'd remember somebody doing something that he would respond so poorly too. 

I don't want to accuse you of anything, but this story sounds just a tad bit suspicious. 

I told him that his art is pretty bad and that it looked like they were melting.

To be fair to the guy.

How else where you expecting him to react?

• Thumbs Up 9

Mmmh-hmm... that so? Cause you know, much as I really don't have much trouble believing all manner of shitty behavior from Penders, this all sounds a bit over the top and, dare I say, convenient? You even added throwing up a bit at seeing his poster... wretched as it is, I sincerely doubt anyone actually WOULD throw up just from seeing it.

Your last story was shaky, but believable enough. This however sounds like a variation of the last one with even MORE bad behavior from Penders, and if he really responded to having his photo taken like you suggest, I'm fairly certain he'd remember somebody doing something that he would respond so poorly too. 

I don't want to accuse you of anything, but this story sounds just a tad bit suspicious. 

I mostly just latched onto Penders never taking suggestion or criticism, which feels accurate from what we've seen in the past, and knowing how he responded to Pellerito actually doing his job. I guess the rest of it could be out there though, since, as much of a louse as the guy is, behaving like that at a public convention would be stupid, if not dangerous. Makes me wish I could go, just to see for myself (weather in SoFLA is terrible right now, and I honestly don't think it's worth the cash at this point).

I know he's been pretty dismissive of Praetorian's resemblence to Knuckles on his twitter, so I have to wonder how he approaches that kind of question at a convention, because it just has to come up.

I didn't throw up because I saw the poster, I threw up because I ate some food that didn't want to go down :{.

He proublay didn't think that it was a concidence, someone who was wearing a dolphin suit could be the same person who wore a dolphin suit on the first day. You mean that guy that did the same thing about mentioning knuckles when he saw juie-su? I just wanted to see him do it again lol it was just too funny not to see or do it once.

I didn't throw up because I saw the poster, I threw up because I ate some food that didn't want to go down :{.

He proublay didn't think that it was a concidence, someone who was wearing a dolphin suit could be the same person who wore a dolphin suit on the first day. You mean that guy that did the same thing about mentioning knuckles when he saw juie-su? I just wanted to see him do it again lol it was just too funny not to see or do it once.

Uh-huh. Yeah, you aren't there at all, are you. 

To be fair to the guy.

How else where you expecting him to react?

True, what was I thinking?

Uh-huh. Yeah, you aren't there at all, are you.

I was there, I'm at a hotel now. I think I'm going head back to my house tommorrow since I don't want to nor have the money to buy another ticket for FLSC.

I was there, I'm at a hotel now. I think I'm going head back to my house tommorrow since I don't want to nor have the money to buy another ticket for FLSC.

Whatever you say, Flipper, whatever you say. 

I'm not going to choose sides over this, but maybe a photo of your ticket stub would help...?

I'm not going to choose sides over this, but maybe a photo of your ticket stub would help...?

Immensely. Do that and I will retract everything I've said, and apologize for bringing the subject up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes. Bernadette is Ken's wife, she is the one of this photo:Brqxbz4CMAAXP9O.jpg

God, she's brave. I wouldn't even touch the ground near that thing with a ten foot poll.

I meant Lien-Da, not Ken's wife.

That was clear right?

• Thumbs Up 2