Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Well as it happens, I was at Penders booth today too, I told him I didn't like the artwork and he turned me into a newt, but I got better. I don't have any proof I was actually there, but it's ok because everybody hates Penders in here because he took away my archie so I don't need to offer anything.

Is this what we're doing now? Anyone says some shit and we now believe it so long as it puts Penders in a negative light? 

The fact of the matter is...

We have a story which paints penders in a VERY negative light as a person in real life, not someone trolling on twitter like many for months had assumed he was doing, but acting like an arse in real life as a person.

And you're willing to believe that without anything to back it up? 

Well gee lets think? 

Because some people here such as yourself want him hated? 

Might be nice to at least try and get some indication that this conversation did actually happen.

No but you will slander a man and believe any old story regardless as to if it actually happened or not if the last few posts are any indication.

Didn't you already reply to the same post earlier?

BTW, I wonder what superwplf is doing now?

Also thinking about this, even if he posts a picture of the comic book, again it's not really going to sway me that the conversation did in fact take place, since it doesn't prove it took place and since the person making the claims logged off after suggestions were made to prove he was at this hotel, between now and the time he comes back he could easilly get the comic via other means.

Didn't you already reply to the same post earlier?

This is seriously your reply?

Also thinking about this, even if he posts a picture of the comic book, again it's not really going to sway me that the conversation did in fact take place, since it doesn't prove it took place and since the person making the claims logged off after suggestions were made to prove he was at this hotel, between now and the time he comes back he could easilly get the comic via other means.

This is seriously your reply?

What more is there for me to add at this point? It's all in superwplf's hands now. Besides that, the only reason I believe his story isn't completely farfetch'd is because has never been completely gracious with taking criticism. And in a way, Penders probably knows good and well that he created a rip-off, but isn't man enough to admit it. Just as well, snce copyright law is pretty deep and comes down quite hard on its violators (money hard, possibly prison time hard). If I were in Penders shoes at the time, I probably would've threatened to call the authorities on him too, since it would be the quickest way to cover my ass and escape detection. Get the law on my side before they can possibly suspect me. But other than that, what else possibly happened at FLSC?

But to be quite honest, sometimes I question myself if I'm anything like Penders in some aspect, and if I would ever end up like him, whether its in the eye of fans, or even the law and finances. From one scope, we're both writers with our own ideas for existing franchises, we both have received flak for not coming up with original characters, and we both spend time on the internet and talking to other fans. But from another scope, I would NEVER do what he did to a canon universe, or take back any of my contributions. And I certainly wouldn't go this far for some sexual fetish. Also, I actually took a computer class and can do a far better Powerpoint presentation than he could. I could show you guys if you're interested.

Overall, this guy just keeps reminding me more and more of Ivo/Julian Robotnik. It's almost creepy that such people come even remotely close to existing.

OK, the man is just a hack, burnout writer desperately in need of a reality check, not a cartoon supervillain...

Aye. I do *not* like the man, not even remotely; his statements and actions have done more than enough to solidify my dislike for him, but I'm not going to hate on him for things he hasn't done. And you know what, I COULD easily believe him capable of some of the things described, really I could, but the entire story given is just so damn convenient and over the top, I have no choice BUT to disbelieve it. 

Hating on Penders for what he's said and done is one thing. Flat out making up crap about him is another, and in the end, he's just a desperate, pathetic old man who bamboozled a comic book. He's not the Devil, he's not Adolf Hitler reborn, nor anything else. He's just a guy. A self-centered, incompetent, blithering, pitiful excuse for a person, yes, but that is all. We don't need to hate him for things he hasn't done, not when he has still done enough on his own to paint an unflattering picture of him, his work and his choices. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think Penders is like this:

tumblr_static_robotnikmunportrait.png

... or is he!?

I was thinking more of the lines of this:

Julian_Runs.jpg

Grimey, sneaky, crude, dishonest, egotistic, anything excluding/short of a power-hungry tyrannical despot.

The pictures Penders is showing on his Twitter today paint a very different picture than what superwplf has been saying. He had a ton of sonic fans visiting and signing books. He even got to meet and old Star Trek comic alumni he hasn't seen in 20 years. Looks like he's not lying about the con being a success for him. I've never seen this much action at his booths at Comic Con over the years.

I'd argue it's not quite the success he's making it out to be. A lot of those people there are cosplayers for things other than his stuff (who tend to pose for pictures when asked), most of the people visiting are either little kids (several of whom don't seem all that enthusiastic) or teenagers, and nobody is buying Lara-Su stuff; just Sonic prints and getting Sonic stuff signed by him. 

It's a pretty conscious display, but in the end, I don't think that this is what he's making it out to be. And that's not an alum he hasn't seen in twenty years; he's never met the guy, despite the personal terms he uses when describing him. 

That said, no, this is definitely better than what we were told by superwplf. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, considering most of those people is holding Sonic stuff, I'd say they just saw the Sonic stuff, decided to check it out and then Ken asked them to pose with Lien-Da.

Aye. A lot of those kids are too young to know of his work beyond the archived stuff. Five bucks says they just saw the Sonic stuff and wandered over, or got suckered in by the ripoff squad on the poster. 

All that may be true, but I've been at a lot of the comic cons he's been at and that's the most foot traffic I've seen him have. I'm just sayin'.

All that may be true, but I've been at a lot of the comic cons he's been at and that's the most foot traffic I've seen him have. I'm just sayin'.

Probably because people knew better to not even go near his booths. you can easily sway younger people though seeing as they wouldn't know shit about this situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's... horribly sad, actually. 

Yeah, to be honest, if that's the case, I'm actually worried young readers will get suckered into getting this stupid book,

I mean the young girl who asked for a sketch of Lara-Su with the autograph, I wouldn't be surprised if either A.Ken just decided to draw the sketch and he wasn't asked to do it or the girl saw Lara-Su in Mobius 30 Years Later and thought she would be getting a sketch of that version rather than the bad redesign. Although those are only the most likely things I think may have happened :P.

Yeah, to be honest, if that's the case, I'm actually worried young readers will get suckered into getting this stupid book,

I mean the young girl who asked for a sketch of Lara-Su with the autograph, I wouldn't be surprised if either A.Ken just decided to draw the sketch and he wasn't asked to do it or the girl saw Lara-Su in Mobius 30 Years Later and thought she would be getting a sketch of that version rather than the bad redesign. Although those are only the most likely things I think may have happened tongue.png.

Funny you should mention that picture; as a rule, convention drawings include signatures of the artist to verify that they made it, and at the convention in question. That picture? Has no such signature on it... that's either a rather massive oversight on Penders' part, or he's been telling a wee little fib. 

Huh.

tumblr_n89wrpf48w1rcq2gqo1_500.jpg

Judging by this pic, he still might be promoting the Lost Ones as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also looks like he's selling copies of the latest Sonic Archives. Well, I guess he is sort of entitled to.

Still going on about the Lost Ones? Yeesh. 

Also, did a bit of investigation of that Mike Philpot guy he mentioned as a friend on his twitter. His 'street cred' consists of things like the Tekken Movie, Frank Miller's The Spirit, and Superhero Movie, in addition to Spider-Man 3... it's less 'street cred' and more like a biohazard sign. And of course, I've found the connection between the two; The Republic, the TV Movie of which I can find absolutely nothing about. 

*sarcasm*But Horridus! The Lost Ones is a smash hit success!*end sarcasm*

Although honestly while Ken may have done a lot of stupid crap for Lara-Su, he does at least look happy in those pictures, honestly, It paints a completely different picture than what Superwplf claimed he was doing at the con. I mean sure the most likely thing was people was attracted over for the Sonic stuff only and was suckered in by Ken to take pictures but still, It still paints a different picture. There's also the fact he's selling archives and Legacy and Select books so I doubt he was selling them for $60 considering all it would take is one look at the back to find out the real cost so again, since there was no proof given, I gotta say, It doesn't look like that stuff he said is true.

Aye. But honestly? What we've actually seen is pretty much what I was expecting from this entire endeavor; many attempts to make it look like a smash hit, emphasizing each person visiting or buying stuff, as well as the high chance that most of the people visiting would be kids or teenagers suckered in by the Sonic looking stuff, with seemingly no-body purchasing any actual Lara-Su products. For all that he's posted, it doesn't really amount to much, even if it's a far cry from what were previously lied to about. 

Also, going back to that photo, but... that picture he claims he was commissioned to make? Is pinned to that wall of stuff behind him. If it was made for a fan, why does he still have the physical copy with him?? 

He appears to be selling at least one of the Sonic Archives, the three Sonic Legacy books and (I think) Best of Sonic Book 1. All of them contains his work so fair enough.

At least he's not selling and signing Ian's issues or anything (from what I can see)...

The pictures Penders is showing on his Twitter today paint a very different picture than what superwplf has been saying. He had a ton of sonic fans visiting and signing books. He even got to meet and old Star Trek comic alumni he hasn't seen in 20 years. Looks like he's not lying about the con being a success for him. I've never seen this much action at his booths at Comic Con over the years.

All is lost........ There is no god.

Still going on about the Lost Ones? Yeesh.

Also, did a bit of investigation of that Mike Philpot guy he mentioned as a friend on his twitter. His 'street cred' consists of things like the Tekken Movie, Frank Miller's The Spirit, and Superhero Movie, in addition to Spider-Man 3... it's less 'street cred' and more like a biohazard sign. And of course, I've found the connection between the two; The Republic, the TV Movie of which I can find absolutely nothing about.

The Republic is (was?) supposed to be a political drama (but, in my opinion, it looks like a sitcom). Here is the preview episode:

http://youtu.be/RZXrNCxY7-E

Here is Ken Penders talking about it:

http://youtu.be/O0Mu_SAQnTk

More videos on the official YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRepublicTV