Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Well derp, obviously. There's no N in SSMB anyways biggrin.png.

One could misread the "M"!

But even then, the N would clearly stand for Nerds. *banned for life*

• Thumbs Up 4

Feel free to give me a warning or any additional reprimand necessary for my poor behaviour. I was actually signing up at the time you made that post so I didn't see your forewarning, but it was still poor taste which I recognize and apologize for. I was mainly put off by someone using 'gay' as an insult, really. But again, not excuses- I understand what I did and why it's unacceptable.

And no, I'm not signing up just to laugh at people. I'm just saying it amused me enough to get me to finally engage in conversation with people. I tend to lurk usually but that rooted me out of my hole in the ground.

Appreciate the patience.

No worries it was just a little welcoming guideline and note for the future more than anything, thanks for being so cooperative, enjoy the forums!

Yeah, but this stuff is all "likely, could be, should be," but we don't really know.

I have this huge feeling he's gonna Forrest Gump his way through it. I mean, he shouldn't have gotten as far as he did, but he did.

I dunno, I just got this feeling he's gonna wind up making this nonsense worthwhile... for him.

Fair enough but the things we have been shown seems to go towards the side of him suckering people into pictures rather than people actually wanting too. I mean most of the people got the Sonic stuff despite the fact TL-SC things were there and that these TL-SC things would probably only be available at that con but yet they decided to go for the books where you can get most places like Amazon and other places, especially how cheap you can get them for so It must mean something that they would rather still get things with Sonic rather than the product he's actually there to promote. 

There's been a few times reading this thread where it feels like people are going out of their way to discredit Qen Senders. It's quite possible that a lot of people are frequenting his stall and that some of them are buying his LSC stuff (though, personally, I think it's just the Sonic stuff).

It's not going to hurt anyone to shrug and say "Yeah I guess he had a good con experience". It doesn't mean he has a multimillion franchise, that his writing or ideas or good, or anything like that.

He's going to need a lot more than one good con going experience to make this all worth it.

He gave out/sold a lot of Lost Ones stuff back in the day too, and we know what a huge smash hit that's been.

Fair enough but the things we have been shown seems to go towards the side of him suckering people into pictures rather than people actually wanting too. I mean most of the people got the Sonic stuff despite the fact TL-SC things were there and that these TL-SC things would probably only be available at that con but yet they decided to go for the books where you can get most places like Amazon and other places, especially how cheap you can get them for so It must mean something that they would rather still get things with Sonic rather than the product he's actually there to promote. 

Plus, there's the fact that Penders has a very pronounced history of exaggerating or trying to deceive people to begin with; this is the guy who claims to this day that The Lost Ones was a hit despite there only being a single issue, and proclaims himself to have been the savior of the Sonic comic. A grain of salt when he tries to show off success is always necessary. 

There's been a few times reading this thread where it feels like people are going out of their way to discredit Qen Senders. It's quite possible that a lot of people are frequenting his stall and that some of them are buying his LSC stuff (though, personally, I think it's just the Sonic stuff).

If he were selling LSC stuff, we wouldn't hear the end of it; even for someone who has demonstrated a rather phenomenal lack of common sense, I cannot imagine anyone not showing off sales of the product they were there to promote. 

And again... it's hard to take his word on a lot of things, given how often he's contradicted himself or exaggerated things for his own end. Simple reality is we are dealing with someone who is notoriously unreliable and dishonest about himself, and I really wouldn't put it past him to try and parlay any event as a 'smash success', no matter how minor. 

Ever hear of Gloria Tesch? 

He didn't just claim the comic was a smash hit, he claimed it was a smash hit series.

Two issues were made but only one issue was published. One does not make a series.

Furthermore, one only needs to look at the quality of the work he's produced for his 'film work' in contrast to how he talks about it. He talks big, produces very little and very badly.

If we're looking for him to break down and go "it's a failure. It's all a huge failure", it's not going to happen. Lost Ones bombed in any concievable way you can consider a bomb but he's still talking about how he's going to make it a movie and is apparently still showing Lost Ones stuff at this very con. It's been what, over ten years? He doesn't admit to failure. Lost Ones is still a 'hit series' despite the fact that you can barely find any information about it anywhere, let alone even a single fan.

Oh, and Lost Ones had 'fan art' in it. So again, put things into perspective.

Ever hear of Gloria Tesch? 

Of course. We talked about her last night, honey buns.

There's also the fact that despite when things like The Lost Ones fails or Knuckles not reaching the sales of the Sonic comics. It's never because his art and writing skills is lacking. Oh no no no, It's always something else that causes his things to fail.

There's also the fact that despite when things like The Lost Ones fails or Knuckles not reaching the sales of the Sonic comics. It's never because his art and writing skills is lacking. Oh no no no, It's always something else that causes his things to fail.

Exactly. I wonder who's fault it'll be this time? Odds are 'the militant Sonic fans who couldn't accept that things couldn't stay exactly the same'. He's already trotted that line out a few times, after all.

Like about that Lien-Da rendering. People criticized it for being horrifyingly hideous. Ken's reaction? "It's meant to be that way. I don't want people to look up to her. She's supposed to be creepy and unnerving. You just can't stand it because you're Sonic fans and it's different from what you were used to".

Now look at that cardboard cut out he has on display now. The face has been completely reworked on it. What happened to 'it's supposed to be creepy'?

It was lie to hide the fact that he failed again. Simple as that.

Even then, that CGI Lien-Da is still creepy. I honestly wonder how he can see and dismiss great artwork but when he makes shitty artwork or sees other crappy artwork, he can call it great.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even then, that CGI Lien-Da is still creepy. I honestly wonder how he can see and dismiss great artwork but when he makes shitty artwork or sees other crappy artwork, he can call it great.

He has the Ring of Self-Delusion.

It's a real psychological phenomenon that papers have been written about. It's called the 'Dunning-Krueger Effect'.

Basically, you need to know a certain amount about a subject before you're able to tell if you're good or bad at a subject. The less you know, the harder it is to recognize you're bad at it.

To copy paste from the wiki article, people displaying the D-K effect have the following traits:

1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
  2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
  3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
  4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.

Then again, 4 is iffy if Lost Ones is any indication. Then again, he may simply just think 'that's different so it doesn't count'.

It's worth mentioning I'm not diagnosing him with some kind of weird brain disease or something. This is something we all have every day. It just a lot more subtle with us in our day to day life. Like, a lot of people think that they're better drivers than they actually are, or smarter, or etc etc... we overestimate. Ben Henders just has a particularly bad case of it and because he's managed to have a 'professional' career in it, he's solidified it into what may as well be fact to him.

It'd take a lot of education before he'd be able to realize how poor the things he's doing are.

• Thumbs Up 1

His attachment to his own products can really cause him great harm in the end. He'd probably lose his own house if he put so much into this thing and it just all fell apart... and even then, he'd probably not see it as a failure.

It's almost sad.

Wait... IS Kenny boy trying to move Lost Ones at his table? I'm still morbidly curious about that given it looks like its a total Silver/Bronze age X-Men ripoff that has Kenny's Not-Robotnik, Dr. Droid, somehow in the mix. How was that book supposed to work?

So The Lost Ones is more or less a X-Men ripoff while TL-SC is more or less a ripoff of the Sonic comics? 

So The Lost Ones is more or less a X-Men ripoff while TL-SC is more or less a ripoff of the Sonic comics? 

Oh, totally. I read The Lost Ones. The basic premise is 'What If People Descended From Hiroshima And Nagasaki Survivors Got Superpowers Instead Of Deformity And A Propensity Towards Cancer'. Cue everything you've ever heard about the X-Men's plot, only with the superpowered people being Japanese. And Droid.

Though even THAT is conveyed poorly. It's an utterly abysmal work. 

That sounds like a horrible horrible version of X-Men and the fact that he considered even associating it with Sonic is an incredibly stupid idea. 

Oooh man, you do not even KNOW, man. 

It's a comic where nothing happens and where we ultimately learn squat. And that Particle lady, the one he saw fit to include in the Image Crossover? She only does ONE thing near the end of the issue! Otherwise, our protagonist is some government agent whom I dub 'Agent Blandface', for obvious reasons... and even he's just a schlub whose about as dynamic as a can of spam. 

Ha! It's even funnier that he believed he could make a film out of this crap. Then again, even the film look shit from the trailer with very low quality.

You wanna know how much of a fail this thing was?

Let me describe unto you. See, throughout the main story of this comic, it randomly goes back and forth between the main story, and the waning days of the pacific theater in WWII... it's done confusingly, but that alone isn't the fail. No. The fail comes from this. 

In the briefing for the mission to bomb Hiroshima, the film projector breaks, and so the commanding officer... basically narrates things for the soldiers. 

I'm dead serious. He narrates. It's one of the most blatant and convoluted demonstrations of exposition speak I've ever seen. He freaking NARRATES and gives us a history lesson to people who would more or less know whats going on already! 

It's unbelievable. 

Considering It's Penders...I believe it.

Is it me or is it ironic exactly how Penders' Sonic film pitch sort of reflects the current situation with TL-SC. I mean now the characters are some weird alien race in the film pitch and along with that, the best line that explains what Penders thinks is right here. It's when the little girl says ''Although many versions of the events made their way out to the media, my dad knows the real truth!'' or aka ''My dad knows which version is the correct one, his one!''.

To my knowledge Ten's always wanted everything to be aliens, more or less. I recall hearing he wasn't a fan of the "Mobius is Future Earth" thing before, but I'm not 100%.

He's really big into sci-fi and aliens, so he pushes it a lot.

I think it comes from his love of Star Trek.

Pendersouchtext.png

As for that Lost Ones page that was mentioned, here's a portion of it (not the full page, just a portion)

So much text. So much.

You wanna know how much of a fail this thing was?

Let me describe unto you. See, throughout the main story of this comic, it randomly goes back and forth between the main story, and the waning days of the pacific theater in WWII... it's done confusingly, but that alone isn't the fail. No. The fail comes from this. 

In the briefing for the mission to bomb Hiroshima, the film projector breaks, and so the commanding officer... basically narrates things for the soldiers. 

I'm dead serious. He narrates. It's one of the most blatant and convoluted demonstrations of exposition speak I've ever seen. He freaking NARRATES and gives us a history lesson to people who would more or less know whats going on already! 

It's unbelievable. 

That sounds like how the Knuckles mini-series had to give a recap on the "A Sense of History" every single issue. 

I recall hearing he wasn't a fan of the "Mobius is Future Earth" thing before, but I'm not 100%.

Considering he never paid a lick of attention to anything his collaborators made, I'm suprised he even knew it was a thing.

I wonder if this kid who Ken said he signed his program book for even knew who he was or was just going around the con getting as many people to sign the thing as he could? XD

2rglzww.jpg

The film pitch itself is just plain bad. I mean he makes a powerpoint about why Sonic is a well known icon despite the fact Sega knows this and instead would probably prefer to hear about why Sonic should become a film, there's the video which is just plain shit. First is Ken couldn't have been bothered to go get a good quality picture of the Sega logo and instead got a crappy version recorded straight from his TV. There is really is no excuse considering this was around 2006 when Sonic 06 was coming out! 

Next is the Flying Island Productions logo which looks like very bad photoshop effects with even a white outline around the island making it look like it was cut straight out of another picture. 

Then we have the live action with crappy lighting, low quality filming among other things and on top of that, the little girl sounds so damn hokey.

With the storyboards, we get nothing happening. Why should we care that Uncle Chuck is making a hoverboard for Sonic? What does it have to do with the story, why is it so important that we must start the movie off with that? On top of that, Sonic isn't that well voiced and the storyboards is Ken's usual artstyle.