Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

@coolest: You could tell him of fans positive reactions to new characters like Relic & Fix-it, or Coral, Pearly & Razor. Or how fans feel the new cannon is more streamlined and suffers from less clutter/baggage then the old one, or how it's genuinely fun to read.

Or that people miss Bollers characters more then Penders characters, XD. *I still hope they bring back Hope eventually*

But he probably wouldn't listen anyway. :(

Well I can safely say I want Mina and Hope back the most out of the other characters.

Also, Ken's comments. "We both have different opinions on my writing" comment was especially funny. Of course Ken loves what he writes because his ego is the size of the moon. But no Ken. The sales of TL-SC won't be saying much considering his run on Sonic was awful and almost all Archie Sonic fans know how terrible these stories were and began making fun of them. As for TL-SC, Well I think we all know considering the script preview and art previews that TL-SC is gonna be shit and bomb very very fast.

• Thumbs Up 1

The best scenario for Ken is that his Lara-Su chronicles becomes the comic book equivalent to 'The Room', which exists for no other reason than to be hated on for people's amusement.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think even THAT would be too good for him; people at least vaguely know who Tommy Wiseau is and the fame from that got him a show. 

The best scenario for Ken is that his Lara-Su chronicles becomes the comic book equivalent to 'The Room', which exists for no other reason than to be hated on for people's amusement.

Or it can be like Foodfight, where it's so bad everyone who watches it tries to forget about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing really in Hen's favor is that it's much easier to get information around these days than it was back when he was doing Lost Ones. I wonder if it'll be enough to at least match the sales effect advertising constantly on Sonic as well as online worked out for The Lost Ones.

Then again, the easiness of information transfer online these days is a double edged sword. It's very easy to get negative information spread as well, and all it'll take is once the book is published is a few negative reviews and then all he'd have is people buying it ironically.

Hen isn't a big fish like he thinks he is. I think he's deeply misjudging the reaction of people at the con, as well. More than once I've seen Hen mistake someone's negative/sarcastic comment as being positive online (to be fair it can be hard to 'read' people online), or completely and utterly miss the point on what someone was talking about and turning it into what he wants to hear. There's also the manner 'of how many of those people are sincerely interested and will be waiting for it to come out'. It's really, really easy to go to a con and see something and go 'oh that's cool, I'll check out your stuff!' and then completely and utterly forget about it. Last con I went to I had collected advertisement/business cards from various vendors because I wanted to see more of their stuff- stuff I genuinely thought was good. Do you think I even have those cards anymore? Nope. Forgot where I put them, and I don't really care because not being able to find them doesn't really affect me and there's plenty of other things to see, as crappy as that sounds. And I don't think I'm a unique human being in that regard because I've had that happen to me before too. Exposure isn't the same as retention. Positive reaction doesn't mean sales.

Short version: I think Hen's rosey glasses are so pink they're magenta.

Or it can be like Foodfight, where it's so bad everyone who watches it tries to forget about it.

I love Foodfight. It's awful, yes, but I love Foodfight. I've seen it like five times start to finish. I tend to like really bad things as long as it makes me laugh with how bad it is. Lost Ones wasn't one of those things because while it was bad, it wasn't entertaining. It was extremely dry and boring.

(Edit: I'm still annoyed at him telling that story about that transwoman and calling her male the entire time. It's just so fucking disrespectful and shows that even though he claims to be progressive, internally he doesn't respect her enough to even call her the correct gender.)

(Edit again: On the subject of WTFuckles- I can see why Hen is saying he's not Knuckles. The character is very unlike Knuckles (wait hold on hear me out first)- he's old, he's got a cybernetic eye, he's part of a powerful cabal of ancient jerkoffs who have been ruling his country for ages. Which isn't SEGA Knuckles, who is a hermit who lives on an island and is the last of his kind, etc. The PROBLEM, however, and what everyone is putting down that he refuses to pick up, is that the character was clearly presented as BEING Knuckles in the comics. We were told over and over 'This is Knuckles the Echidna, the SEGA character, now that he's older!'. But now he's claiming 'No, it's not Knuckles'. Under the same line of reasoning he's currently using, Scourge is not Evil-Sonic and Dr. Eggman is not Robo-Robotnik, because the amount of establishment that these are the same characters in the comic is the same as what was shown for older!Knuckles. It's fucking stupid. Logic only applies to Fenders if it works in his favor.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Fah. He can keep Evil Sonic. Scourge is where its at. But like I said, he cannot stand on his own without Sonic. But Knuckles is too much his baby, he refuse to let him go.

Yes he can keep Evil Sonic but he's threatened to sue if Scourge shows up again because Scourge 'is' Evil Sonic. So we won't be seeing Scourge because as far as Ven is concerned, he owns him.

Ugh. So, if I read that right, Chronicles is off-limits not because of Flynn's or SEGA's apprehensiveness, but literally just Penders. They are forbidden from using characters and events from an official game solely because of this man.

I'd thought that Shade and the Dark Brotherhood could serve as interesting official replacements for the Dark (Egg) Legion in the new continuity, too, while still being completely different characters. But, nope-- they can't and won't be used because Penders continues to dangle the threat of suing over their concepts, all while he creates a clearly plagiarized knockoff of Knuckles behind SEGA's back.

I swear, he could not be more toxic to Sonic the Hedgehog as a whole if he tried.

...*knocks on wood*

At this point all we can do is watch these events play out, and maybe once Ken's project has crashed and burned at his feet, even his friends & family have had enough, and he ends up in an asylum/poor house, then Archie & SEGA can slowly start healing the wound he's left.

But at this point I'm not sure that'll ever happen. *le sigh*

I still don't see how the Marauders are considered a legal knockoff of the Dark Legion, and yet 'Not Knuckles' is acceptable. Where a not as giant as they used to be, but still giant in terms of one man, corporation, can be worried about a single man taking them to court over a base similarity. But when said single man basically does the same thing he's accused them for, back at them, yet much more blatantly, they sit idly by and do nothing. Madness.

First no Skies of Arcadia HD, or Shenmue I & II HD, then no PSO2 outside Asia...and now this. Sega sure does know how to push my buttons :/

He's just doing this just to make SEGA and Archie beg to take him back. That means make sure they don't use any trace of his work no matter how ridiculous

Why can't these lawyers of his, the ones who claim he's within his rights to use WTFuckles, tell him Sega are also within their rights to use the Nocturnus Clan?

He's just doing this just to make SEGA and Archie beg to take him back. That means make sure they don't use any trace of his work no matter how ridiculous

This I agree with wholeheartedly. Sega/Archie etc. have ENOUGH cash and counsel to not be threatened by Ken. They're not doing anything because technically, he has nothing to show for any of it yet. Don't be surprised if they never care enough to sue and NOT because Ken is a threat like he likes to think. It's because he has sofar done NOTHING and made ZERO dollars. Until he does (which will be never.) he's no more than a fanboy.

Oh and just to bring home the point of him knowing he ripped him off, for newcomers, please enjoy all the tweets where he said he's in his rights back when he first revealed Fuckles. So here's all tweets of him knowing for a fact he ripped off Knuckles in order :)

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/484821006918242304

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485067713820127232

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/485154744562745345

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/489088883775111169

Wait I never read  this entire thread, but what if, this is a hypothesis, but what if Penders is making all of these cruddy characters just for publicity and shock us we great characters? Please note that I still hate the fat guy.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. Sega/Archie etc. have ENOUGH cash and counsel to not be threatened by Ken. They're not doing anything because technically, he has nothing to show for any of it yet. Don't be surprised if they never care enough to sue and NOT because Ken is a threat like he likes to think. It's because he has sofar done NOTHING and made ZERO dollars. Until he does (which will be never.) he's no more than a fanboy.

A fanboy that's able to get Sega and Archie to not use certain characters. That's more power than the average fanboy should have

A fanboy that's able to get Sega and Archie to not use certain characters. That's more power than the average fanboy should have

True, but he had some right to those characters in theory. Not in design, certainly, and NOT Knuckles. But sure, fine, he created those (flimsy) concepts and character points for "Kid of Knuckles", "Dad of Sonic" and "Boyfriend of Secondary Walrus Character"... Whatever, he can have 'em.

I looked at the lawl-suit as Archie coming out on top, myself. Fine Ken, you don't want us to use your characters? It's not worth another drawn out legal battle no one will win. We'll just never use them, the comic will go on, the chars will be forgotten and YOU will have lost out on the best advertising there could have ever been for your crapcomic in rereleases. In essence, YOU will be forgotten, Ken.

True, but he had some right to those characters in theory. Not in design, certainly, and NOT Knuckles. But sure, fine, he created those (flimsy) concepts and character points for "Kid of Knuckles", "Dad of Sonic" and "Boyfriend of Secondary Walrus Character"... Whatever, he can have 'em.

I looked at the lawl-suit as Archie coming out on top, myself. Fine Ken, you don't want us to use your characters? It's not worth another drawn out legal battle no one will win. We'll just never use them, the comic will go on, the chars will be forgotten and YOU will have lost out on the best advertising there could have ever been for your crapcomic in rereleases. In essence, YOU will be forgotten, Ken.

But it's not fair for those characters, especially the ones he DIDNT create, to die with him. They don't deserve that fate.

• Thumbs Up 1

But it's not fair for those characters, especially the ones he DIDNT create, to die with him. They don't deserve that fate.

Not saying it is and I agree 1000% with you cuz, what a waste. But it's more feasible he'd have the ability to wreck those chars futures than it would be him get control over Knuckles. Which I think is my bigger point. Secondary: crappy that we have to go without those chars, but if Ken is gonna try to muscle his characters outta the book unless the Archie staff plays HIS game, then I can't disagree with their decision. He's a bully and needs to be put in his place. So unless the LSC is profitable (or ever even comes out) he cut his nose off to spite his face on that one. In a few years, if not already, you and I will still remember those chars, but new fans won't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not saying it is and I agree 1000% with you cuz, what a waste. But it's more feasible he'd have the ability to wreck those chars futures than it would be him get control over Knuckles. Which I think is my bigger point. Secondary: crappy that we have to go without those chars, but if Ken is gonna try to muscle his characters outta the book unless the Archie staff plays HIS game, then I can't disagree with their decision. He's a bully and needs to be put in his place. So unless the LSC is profitable (or ever even comes out) he cut his nose off to spite his face on that one. In a few years, if not already, you and I will still remember those chars, but new fans won't.

Yeah I get you. Even though SEGA isn't doing a very good job with Knuckles, better with them than with Penders. But that's what I'm afraid of. I mean us old fans will die someday, and the new ones might never know those characters. When those memories die, so will those characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I get you. Even though SEGA isn't doing a very good job with Knuckles, better with them than with Penders. But that's what I'm afraid of. I mean us old fans will die someday, and the new ones might never know those characters. When those memories die, so will those characters.

I don't mean to be that guy, but I just don't buy that. While the characters at this point are effectively dead thanks to this nonsense, I just don't believe the memory of them goes away just because the older fans are no longer around. As long as Archie keeps reprinting the old stories, they'll still have some form of legacy. A legacy that came to an abrupt end, but there's still something to show for it. As long as there are people out there willing to buy things with the Sonic name on it, regardless of the continuity or the who's who, they'll still carry on. At this point, I'm of the mind that "it's better than nothing." I want them back, but they aren't worth the trouble, so I'd rather just remember the storylines I liked and hope new readers give that stuff a chance.

I'd be more happy for people to know who it is that ended all that and to see him for the snake in the grass he really is, especially when he dares to talk about creators' rights (but only really caring about his rights).

I'd be more happy for people to know who it is that ended all that and to see him for the snake in the grass he really is, especially when he dares to talk about creators' rights (but only really caring about his rights).

Fen doesn't care about the rights of others and their characters what so ever. He double talks constantly. For instance, Ian said he was going to make an anti-Brotherhood- Fen's reaction? To whinge that Ian obviously doesn't respect his rights with the characters. Meanwhile, he mutilates Knuckles as a character because he sees him as an open canvas, turns Sonic into someone who doesn't respect women, makes Sally fall for an older guy and constantly play tonsil hockey with him, decided Rotor's sexuality, tried to kill Sally so he could replace her, DID kill Robotnik and wanted him to stay dead... did he ask SEGA or Hurst about any of this before he did this to their characters? No? Huh. Odd. It's like the rules only apply if it's for him.

• Thumbs Up 2