Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I can see what he's trying for, but I see no reason why this page needed an experimental layout when something straightforward would've worked better. It's not exactly an action scene or something that allows for that sort of crazy layout. It's Julie-Su at the doctor's office.

Yep. I was also supposed to draw, letter and color this story, so I figured the reader would have no trouble following along.

"It makes sense to me, why wouldn't it make sense to you?"

I mean, I like futzing around and trying new things with my own layouts, too, but there is a certain logic to how people read (and thank you, Verb, for posting those Scott McCloud pages; I actually started looking at a page I'm working on to see what I can improve), and you can't just assume that readers can/are willing to follow along just because you thought it looked cool. I feel like I'm being pushed and pulled too much, and find myself jumping down to the last panel when I get to the third panel (the start of the diagonal in the 'Z').

Also, I'm realizing most of my likes probably came from this thread... guess I gotta build it back up.

Right on que lol.

So it's a draft, but it looks pretty damn detailed for a draft. Horrible artwork which looks like it was drawn by a 12 year old, the panels are hard to follow because of the stupid Z thing that Pendurrs thinks is SO innovative and Julie-Su looks almost identical to Lara-Su. AND SHE STILL LOOKS LIKE AN ECHIDNA FFS

I don't expect many changes in the final version but there is so much wrong with this page it's hilarious.

Right on que lol.

So it's a draft, but it looks pretty damn detailed for a draft. Horrible artwork which looks like it was drawn by a 12 year old, the panels are hard to follow because of the stupid Z thing that Pendurrs thinks is SO innovative and Julie-Su looks almost identical to Lara-Su. AND SHE STILL LOOKS LIKE AN ECHIDNA FFS

I don't expect many changes in the final version but there is so much wrong with this page it's hilarious.

This is old. Back when he was still working on the comics, so yeah, they'd still look like echidnas.

It is strange how much Julie-Su looks like Lara, though.

Right on que lol.

This is actually a draft from an Archie story that was never published (thank goodness)... just saying. Though his Echidna have always been identical and difficult to distinguish from Knuckles or one another.

Though, yeah, his retroactively referring to Julie-Su as an "Echyd'nya" doesn't really make things any better.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

I put more effort into all of my lost Penders rant that he has put into a single page.

I'm going to see if we still have that picture of Nack talking backwards.

EDIT - Yes, we do:

Before I clicked that link, I thought when you said "Nack talked backwards", it meant that Nack was either saying all of his sentences in reverse, or that Penders had flipped the text bubbles so that they could only be read in a mirror.

• Thumbs Up 1

Before I clicked that link, I thought when you said "Nack talked backwards", it meant that Nack was either saying all of his sentences in reverse, or that Penders had flipped the text bubbles so that they could only be read in a mirror.

...I hope he doesn't try that.

I may post that picture I found soon.

EDIT - Yes, we do:

Further establishing that Fenders either doesn't know what flow is or doesn't care.

• Thumbs Up 2

EDIT - Yes, we do:

Narritave flow is lost. It's so random! The stupid pictures in the background instead of actual art that doesn't blend with the art at all! It's all so horrible!

Further establishing that Fenders either doesn't know what flow is or doesn't care.

Given how he seems to view knowledge of comics and narrative structure and the like as some esoteric thing known only to comic book writers, I think he presumes people won't bother to ask due to a lack of understanding. In short... he thinks readers are idiots who won't notice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it sad how the backwards talking of Nack is the least harmful thing I've seen Penders do? At least that doesn't give me nightmares.

Is it sad how the backwards talking of Nack is the least harmful thing I've seen Penders do? At least that doesn't give me nightmares.

It's more that it shows the amount of attention this guy has to what he's doing than anything else. That's definitely good for you.

And I, er, put the picture up elsewhere. I'm not sure if putting it here is the best idea...

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/576136699706613761

Remind me, people; when working on a project like this, shouldn't you get all the worldbuilding details, major AND minor, handled before you start to commit to anything? I mean, one would think it incredibly obvious that when working on something involving an ALIEN world you think through how that ALIEN nature is reflected in everything, riiight? 

Penders continued ability to fail at the basics of the creative process continues to astound.

• Thumbs Up 1

God those panels with Green Knuckles make absolutely no sense! The narrative is weird, Nack has horrible dialogue (dough-re-mi? really?) and the backgrounds and artwork are disgusting. What the hell was Pendurrs thinking when he thought realistic backgrounds in a cartoony comic was a good idea? Funny thing is, he still likes using realistic backgrounds in the Lara-Su Chronicles!

• Thumbs Up 4

Remind me, people; when working on a project like this, shouldn't you get all the worldbuilding details, major AND minor, handled before you start to commit to anything? I mean, one would think it incredibly obvious that when working on something involving an ALIEN world you think through how that ALIEN nature is reflected in everything, riiight? 

Penders continued ability to fail at the basics of the creative process continues to astound.

You just don't get it, man. I mean, have you ever written a comic book? Clearly this process is just lost on plebs like us.

Also, I'm pretty sure he didn't actually answer the dude's question (it sounds more like someone looking to buy original artwork).

But, you know, speaking as someone working on a comic right now, and my writer and I do tend to rework scripts and things as we go along, or I created something while I was working on artwork/layouts that ultimately gets put into later installments, even we're not constantly feeling around in the dark like he is (note, we are amateurs). We--or at least my writer does--at least have an idea of where things are going and spend hours working this shit out before I even do my first concept sketches.

I can't believe I didn't notice that the time when I had that comic issue as a kid, but looking at it now, it just really goes to show how he can't make a proper background, or at least a background that can stay consistent for more than a panel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh dear god. 'Discovering' stuff? Clearly, Penders, you don't know shit about this kind of stuff. Even I, who likes to... go with the flow, so to speak in her work, at least always has a basic idea of what's going to happen. Partially explains why everything he's shown us so far is such a mess.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, I'm pretty sure he didn't actually answer the dude's question (it sounds more like someone looking to buy original artwork).

He rarely answers people. He just uses people's posts as an excuse to talk about whatever he wants to.

• Thumbs Up 2

He rarely answers people. He just uses people's posts as an excuse to talk about whatever he wants to.

And even when he does answer people, he rarely knows what he's talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I am remembering right, wasn't someone else suppose to draw the issue with Nack, and they couldn't make it so at the last minute Penders threw something together? I read it on some site, not one of Penders. Still doesn't excuse the laziness.

• Thumbs Up 1

I genuinly wonder if those photo backgrounds are gonna be kept in the Archives reprint (as well as the Sonic story from the same issue that was made up entirely of traced art).

• Thumbs Up 2

(as well as the Sonic story from the same issue that was made up entirely of traced art).

Please tell me you're joking and that doesn't actually exist.