Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Has Penders actually said anything about Johnny Storm being black?

I remember hearing him get into a Twitter fight with Dan Slott over making Luke Cage white for... actually, why the hell DID Kenders think it was even close to a good idea to whitewash one of Marvel's most beloved heroes of color anyway?

He once complained about the fact that Johnny Storm solely was being made black rather than both him and his sister going whole hog with the concept, but frankly, given how that was a while back and the controversy surrounding the choice being made for this film, it does not make him look good, ESPECIALLY so soon after the Slott incident. 

...pffffffthahahahahahhaha. Oh. Oh God. 

Yeah it does embrace it's roots alright. As a poorly made nothing of a comic that nobody in their right mind ever liked unironically!

I'm beginning to feel awful when I poke fun at Ken in my own way. This whole thing just gets sadder and sadder. And this new with the The Lost Ones advert is just one more point along Ken's downward trajectory in complete obscurity. Why would Ken tout The Lost Ones? There are no roots to be found. Ken has had one issue of The Lost Ones released in fourteen years. There is almost no material to adapt. He hasn't taken the time to create any more material or make anything else public in that span of time. And he's done little else for it aside from producing that trailer for whatever reason. I still have no idea why it was made or what audience Ken was trying to reach. What was the point? 

Also, I'm very surprised that Ken still cares about his old projects. I was under the impression that Ken had completely forsaken The Lost Ones years ago to purse the invariably bankrupt LARA-SU CHRONICLES. It sure felt that way given the facts. It's not like Ken has spent more than a decade creating new content for his magnum opus. Honestly, I have no idea what Ken does with his time, but I can tell you that it assuredly cannot be productive. What does he do all day? How long does it take to get this thing out the door? It's been at least three years and we've seen such little evidence that Ken is hard at work doing anything substantial. I don't think he's made a commitment to a third party, so there's no reason for him to feel heavy with obligation. I don't think he's got a job which eats up too much of his time given how much of his life is spent on Twitter. So why on Earth is it taking so long to give birth to this unholy abomination? There is no reason for it to take him this long. None whatsoever. 

I don't really want to be too harsh here, but it's truly baffling. Ken will likely bemuse me to no end. He is like some demented puzzle box that opens gateways to madness. I've begun to think that there is a terrible reason for all this behavior, and it makes me want to pull back every punch. Think about this way, Ken has released one issue of The Lost Ones in fourteen years. And he is deeply proud of this great success. The whole thing is just too sad for me to articulate. There are no roots, Ken. You've planted next to nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 9

And he's done little else for it aside from producing that trailer for whatever reason. I still have no idea why it was made or what audience Ken was trying to reach. What was the point? 

Presuming you mean the trailer, I believe he said it was an unfinished product meant to be shown to investors...which he promptly put on the internet for some insane reason. As for why he was showing it to investors, because he clearly is more interested in film than comics. 

Also, I want to mention that the music in that thing's apparently from Iron Man. Creator's rights, people, creator's rights. 

• Thumbs Up 7

It's just too bad that The Last Ones sucked in the first place. I don't care what stupid bullshit that they do in the FF movie and I don't care if it has nothing to do with the source material. If it's Fox, we know it'll at least have quality effects and will at least be appealing to the eye. The Lost Ones is just a total fucking horror on all fronts.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Lost Ones trailer was so bad, it was entertaining. Sadly, knowing Penders, had the movie been released, it wouldn't even have that appeal.

The Lost Ones' trailer is so goddamn terrible that I can't even sit through it without skipping through it. Just everything about it is so terrible. It's something that a 14 year old filmmaker who was doing the first year of a movie class would make. It's absolutely pathetic considering Penders is over 40 at least and he's producing lackluster bullshit of this quality. It's sad to be honest, and the idea that he thinks something like that could pass in a world which has absolutely amazing effects and acting is extremely sad and that's just the harsh truth of the matter.

I think Ken could have great success as the next Tommy Wiseau of the world. That crazy guy who made an awful movie that becomes successful because everyone laughs at but he doesn't really get that people are laughing at it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Presuming you mean the trailer, I believe he said it was an unfinished product meant to be shown to investors...which he promptly put on the internet for some insane reason. As for why he was showing it to investors, because he clearly is more interested in film than comics. 

That's the truth in a nutshell. He's not very interested in doing anything with comics as its own reward. Ken has given off the impression that he's more interested in using comic books as a means to an end and very little else beyond that. Ken has proven to be vastly more interested in making phone apps for his projects than actually creating much to support those very same bells and whistles. Thank you for those details, Disonoid! I didn't know that Ken had this shown for a body of financiers. In fact, I didn't know much about it at all. I just knew its existence was inexplicable and its quality was irredeemably awful.

I don't know why any investor would want to bankroll this boondoggle. There's no market for The Lost Ones. It's not an established brand that will bring in a large crowd of fans familiar with the franchise. Nobody is really even aware of its existence aside from a small group of people in the Sonic fandom. The source material consists of one comic book published well over a decade ago. Ken could have easily gone out of his way to create more material in the meantime, but he's done nothing to further the brand in any capacity. He could have made The Lost Ones into a webcomic and then sought to foster a campaign of support from fans who were then acquainted with his body of work. He could have done so much in fourteen years time, and yet he squandered all that precious time. I just wish I understood his thought process because very little of what he does makes any sense to me.  

• Thumbs Up 5

Also, I want to mention that the music in that thing's apparently from Iron Man. Creator's rights, people, creator's rights.

I seem to recall people pointing out some of the 3D assets were lifted from Unreal or something, as well. But Penders is, of course, the exception to the whole creators' rights argument. Remember, Praetorian is 100% original and has nothing to do with Sonic or SEGA, but the Nocturnus are shameless rip-offs despite their similarities to the Dark Legion being purely surface! Clearly, he is a true creator and can transcend both copyright law and common decency.

The source material consists of one comic book published well over a decade ago. Ken could have easily gone out of his way to create more material in the meantime, but he's done nothing to further the brand in any capacity. He could have made The Lost Ones into a webcomic and then sought to foster a campaign of support from fans who were then acquainted with his body of work. He could have done so much in fourteen years time, and yet he squandered all that precious time. I just wish I understood his thought process because very little of what he does makes any sense to me.

Amen, brother. I'm honestly surprised this was an avenue he never explored; perhaps not during his run on Sonic, but certainly afterward. It would've been a better use of his time and resources rather than dragging SEGA and Archie in and out of court with bogus lawsuits and behaving like a passive-aggressive jackass toward them specifically. But, as you point out, the guy is so obsessed with building a multimedia empire, and launching a gigantic IP from the get-go, that I think he'd probably consider something like that to be beneath him.

For the record, here's the cite for the investors thing;

Regarding the trailer, that is not by any means a final presentation piece for public consumption. It was designed at the last minute to show potential buyers at a trade show we had more than THE REPUBLIC on our burners. We really weren't ready to show anything, but you do what you have to to draw interest in your project.

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=145

In the same post, he claims he was going to have a costume designer from the Spider Man movies (well, third one, going by IMDB) working on this thing. I feel bad for that guy, whoever he is.

Why does he always pull that and act like it somehow excuses the crappy quality? It's even worse now, because I cannot imagine any company in it's right mind looking at that damn trailer and saying 'quality work here!'. 

• Thumbs Up 2

For the record, here's the cite for the investors thing;

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=145

Does this make anyone else think that it was a prototype & the final product isn't using any material at all from the 'trailer'? I'm not sure whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing anymore. Yeah, I know that makes no sense whatsoever, but I really suspect this may be the case.

I think Ken could have great success as the next Tommy Wiseau of the world. That crazy guy who made an awful movie that becomes successful because everyone laughs at but he doesn't really get that people are laughing at it.

I'm not sure. Something tells me he might have more self-awareness than Wiseau, I think he is aware that people are laughing at his work. He just thinks they're wrong presumably.

Hey, did anyone remember to save that "Sonic Movie Pitch" that Ken honestly tried to make by recording his kids playing Sonic CD from outside and storyboard animatics that explained nothing about Sonic, SatAM, or anything?

I remember that it was briefly uploaded to Youtube, but I'm guessing Kenders got it removed due to "copyright claim against my property".

And sorry for asking again, but I still have no clue why he thought that Luke Cage should be white or Latino in either the comics or the MCU.

Edited by biznizz
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whut the Whut is happening. Are you saying Penders made a scrapped movie?

Yes, based on a comic of his from the early 00's called 'The Lost Ones' that ran for one issue.

There was also the proposed Sonic film that biznizz talked of above. That didn't get very far though. There was a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff about it, which I believe is on file somewhere, though I'm not sure if we still have it or if it got lost in the server issues.

Hey, did anyone remember to save that "Sonic Movie Pitch" that Ken honestly tried to make by recording his kids playing Sonic CD from outside and storyboard animatics that explained nothing about Sonic, SatAM, or anything?

I remember that it was briefly uploaded to Youtube, but I'm guessing Kenders got it removed due to "copyright claim against my property".

And sorry for asking again, but I still have no clue why he thought that Luke Cage should be white or Latino in either the comics or the MCU.

Nah, that one was lost even before the big brainfart took down 200 pages worth of stuff..... a rather tragic loss, but one that will live on in infamy in the memories of those who got to experience it. 

As to the Luke Cage thing, I have no flipping idea. Dan Slott said something and was in an argument with a bunch of guys over altering the races of traditionally caucasion superheroes to be something else, and then Penders butted in and made an ass of himself. 

Whut the Whut is happening. Are you saying Penders made a scrapped movie?

Nah; Penders made some 'test footage' for a Sonic film that never went anywhere (because it was ludicrously horrible), and similarly made a trailer for his one hit blunder of a comic series The Lost Ones (that was also ludicrously horrible). Penders hasn't made anything except a lot of crappy pictures and CGI renders. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That trailer...just.....

That was horrifying. How did he ever think of something like that as acceptable?

• Thumbs Up 1

Video and presentation: https://mega.co.nz/#F!aYZhGJCY!x7hfv61m0vT6W0q9qqJAwA

Just the presentation (viewing in the browser): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B95glW8UeSnia2xuRWljQzFyTWc/edit?usp=docslist_api

As a bonus, Mychal Taelor's 3D model: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5RoOz1ZHW5BX3daRnk0TzlZQlU/edit?usp=docslist_api

• Thumbs Up 3

Ahhhh yes the hilariously awful trailer for The Lost Ones. Can't believe he thinks that's high quality shit when it's really just shit. Seriously how can he expect a movie to be good when there's only ONE issue of the comic?

Also, Floating Island Productions? omg he just can't let go of Sonic can he! DX

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh but just remember. This was 2008. The same year that we got the amazing effects, costumes, and acting of Iron Man & The Dark Knight and he thinks that his crappy little trailer is high standard for 2008? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding the trailer, that is not by any means a final presentation piece for public consumption. It was designed at the last minute to show potential buyers at a trade show we had more than THE REPUBLIC on our burners. We really weren't ready to show anything, but you do what you have to to draw interest in your project.

To me, this doesn't really say "I think this is high quality". The rest of the post also talks about how he was trying to improve things.

I think his bigger stupid move was putting it on the internet to begin with. 

Oh but just remember. This was 2008. The same year that we got the amazing effects, costumes, and acting of Iron Man & The Dark Knight and he thinks that his crappy little trailer is high standard for 2008? 

Is this the only evidence the films exists? Because I strongly suspect that this is an incomplete project if the most we have is a 7 year old trailer for it.

Oh-ho, excellent! *downloads immediately* And here I thought it lost forever. 

He really did. On his forum he even argued about how the Lost Ones trailer was totally a quality product and that there was nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I shit you not, the guy is convinced utterly that his work meets professional standards no matter how blatantly poor any of it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is this the only evidence the films exists? Because I strongly suspect that this is an incomplete project if the most we have is a 7 year old trailer for it.

I really don't see the point you are trying to make. When you make something to convince investors to buy into a product, you must prove to them that the product will be made to a high quality and it has a chance to make back the money they invested and more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Aaand now we have a small cluster of dumbassery courtesy of Penders.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/576998265196953600

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/576998404682752003

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/576998755129421824

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/577015440800514048

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/577131204740141056

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/577132669185564672

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/577133814280953856

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/577134242515132416

Long story short? Penders continues to insist why he's right about the Luke Cage thing, doesn't address the fact that Lost Ones has no real 'roots' to be loyal to, and claims that The Republic is in Post-Production and that the Lost Ones Movie WILL be a thing because Selma took ten years to make (because of course, it's TOTALLY the same thing).