Awoo.

Sonic Robo Blast 2

Sean

I did once have a set up using a controller that worked comfortably with me, buuut I still had a run button I held down and simply steered Sonic left and right rather than control him like a proper platforming character.

Playing a sonic game (or any game that isn't FPS for that matter)

SRB2 literally is an FPS. You can't just change the basic fundementals of the way one aspect of the game controls without either creating a dissonance with or outright damaging the other.

Maybe at some point in the ~14 years they've been working on their Doom engine-based 3D Sonic game they could make it control more like a Sonic game rather than just Doom with floaty momentum.

They could've, but they chose not to.

See, that's the thing. SRB2 is very much its own beast, and they've rolled with it. Arbitarily limiting yourself to the worse option of playing it just on the basis of trying to emulate completely different games it's related to only in name? Call me crazy, but I don't see the logic in that. Why would you even play a game like SRB2 if not to play it like an FPS?

Why would you even play a game like SRB2 if not to play it like an FPS?

I play keyboard-only. Keyboard-only controls are far better than people give it credit for, once you get used to it. 

I actually really love the controls of SRB2. I couldn't imagine being able to beat some of these levels using the control scheme from any other 3D platformer. 

Last I checked poor design decisions don't become good just because you did them on purpose.

SRB2 literally is an FPS. You can't just change the basic fundementals of the way one aspect of the game controls without either creating a dissonance with or outright damaging the other.

This doesn't mean anything. The Doom engine is not special in that it's the only one out of dozens of commercially licenced game engines that somehow can't be made to work properly with a twin axis controller.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I play keyboard-only. Keyboard-only controls are far better than people give it credit for, once you get used to it.

Sure, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Hell, the original Doom worked with just a keyboard alone, so I can certaintly imagine that. My problem is more with people who are complaining about the controls yet deliberately restricting themselves to a control scheme that doesn't work as well in the process. That's fucking stupid. It's the equivalent of activating the motion controls in Brawl and complaining it's all basically waggle.

How? It's been a while since I played it, but I clearly remember it playing nothing like an FPS, regardless of what shitty engine they chose to run it on.

It played more like Sonic R with even worse traction and momentum.

This doesn't mean anything. The Doom engine is not special in that it's the only one out of dozens of commercially licenced game engines that somehow can't be made to work properly with a twin axis controller.

This doesn't even have anything to do with the point I was making. I was referring to the single and multiplayer modes, which would just clash with each other worse with a control changeup. Best case, you'd have a product where one or the other would feel out of place and tacked on for the sake of it. Worst case, you'd completely ruin the multiplayer entirely for the singleplayer's sake. And honestly, I think it's better off that at least some of the skills learned from one can be applied to the other.

Unless you legitimately want to deathmatch with a gamepad. In which case I don't really know what to say.

The game feels like a niche title almost solely due to them wanting to keep it playing like how a Sonic mod played on an old Doom mod in the 90s, just as it started. It has it's own hybrid feel of platformer and FPS controls, and I can't pinpoint why it's kept that feel for much more reason than it being sort of nostalgic. It's not like it really plays bad IMO because I kind of like it myself, but it is a bit lacking.

The level design is really nice, though. That's the part I appreciate most about this game really; the layouts are very wide and multi-tiered. In some ways it's a bit too easy to get lost and quite labyrinthine, but I still like the sentiment. The first levels seem to do it best, though.

The game feels like a niche title almost solely due to them wanting to keep it playing like how a Sonic mod played on an old Doom mod in the 90s, just as it started. It has it's own hybrid feel of platformer and FPS controls, and I can't pinpoint why it's kept that feel for much more reason than it being sort of nostalgic. It's not like it really plays bad IMO because I kind of like it myself, but it is a bit lacking.

Not really. The reason why the controls have stayed the same over the years (with the exception of minor tweaking that comes in every release) is that the controls are really good when you get used to them. They allow for precise platforming at both high speed and low speed, which is something few games get right.

The only way I can think of to "prove" it is to link to a speedrun video. I chose this at random. Unfortunately, there's no speed runs yet of the new version, so that's a speedrun of some of the old, crappier levels.

I don't know if this game is any fun, but does the engine really suck?

No, the engine's fine, the game's controls just take some time getting used to. I'd recommend playing as Knuckles first. Don't play as Sonic until you know what you're doing.

(Well, technically, the engine does suck. But that's okay because the game has been designed around the limitations of the engine.)

It doesn't really suck, it's just that it's really limited and sort of.. different, I guess. It's fun in it's own right, but strange when comparing to other Sonic games.

I still question why they couldn't add slopes, though. Isn't there a mod of SRB2 that features them?

I still question why they couldn't add slopes, though. Isn't there a mod of SRB2 that features them?

Slopes require SRB2 to run in OpenGL mode, which is...glitchy, and doesn't perform very well on some computers. The developers decided that a good, fun, stable, well-performing game without slopes is better than the alternative. 

Played up to the end of Castle Eggman, wow they changed a lot.

I confess I think I don't enjoy this game that much - all the difficulty comes from fighting the controls, and the game becomes less fun as the platforming becomes more precise which is a shame because the level design is great, and even when the platforming is basically amounting to not much more than jumping on a series of floating blocks, they manage to do something unique to give each segment its own personality.

But it does make me super nostalgic of high school, I used to play it a ton back when it was just Greenflower Zone, Techno Hill Zone and Castle Eggman Zone.  For that reason I admit I'm a little sad that Techno Hill was changed so much, but it does make it way more different from Greenflower, and oh my god the springy goo is such a more suitable gimmick for second zone than the poison goo from the original version was.

I confess I think I don't enjoy this game that much - all the difficulty comes from fighting the controls, and the game becomes less fun as the platforming becomes more precise.

Just to ask, which character are you playing as? (Also, what control scheme are you using?) Generally, I find that Knuckles is the best character to play as when you're not too good with the controls yet, because you can climb/glide around obstacles and precision platforming. Tails is even more maneuverable, but controlling his flight can sometimes be difficult.

By the way, I take back anything I've ever said about SRB2's engine sucking. I had no idea this was even possible with the engine:

• Thumbs Up 6

Whoa wait THE LEGENDARY 2.1 IS OUT

CerealSpitting.png

I GOTTA GO GET IT NOW

Hold on, the only download is a torrent?

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until they upload the actual launcher. They said it would be today. Maybe it'll come later today?

Hold on, the only download is a torrent?

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until they upload the actual launcher. They said it would be today. Maybe it'll come later today?

There are mirrors all over the place. I think one was posted earlier in this topic.

Yeah, but why are they all .rars? What happened to the easy-to use wizard that just installs the zip folder wherever you wanted it to? Is that going to come later today?

Yeah, but why are they all .rars? What happened to the easy-to use wizard that just installs the zip folder wherever you wanted it to? Is that going to come later today?

Rars reduce the file size dramatically, the zip folder is still there by the way. Also check the downloads page again there are 3 mirrors. 

Okaaaay I reached Egg Rock once more and I hate the game again.  Forgot how utter bullshit insane this level is difficulty-wise.  At least Eggmanland had the politeness to give you infinite lives.

Just to ask, which character are you playing as? (Also, what control scheme are you using?) Generally, I find that Knuckles is the best character to play as when you're not too good with the controls yet, because you can climb/glide around obstacles and precision platforming. Tails is even more maneuverable, but controlling his flight can sometimes be difficult.

I'm playing as Sonic because I kind of like platforming in my platform games instead of flying over everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Norton says that all the mirrors are harmful. Can't they just get it over with and release the actual thing?

I'm playing as Sonic because I kind of like platforming in my platform games instead of flying over everything.

Understandable. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when someone complains about difficulty when they're playing the explicitly-labeled "Hard" mode. The game certainly isn't unfairly difficult—I had over twenty lives left when I beat it as Sonic. I'm an experienced player, but still.

Norton says that all the mirrors are harmful. Can't they just get it over with and release the actual thing?

Isn't the official release up? It's the one called "Random Mirror".

Norton is stupid, the download is 100% safe. If you scan the actual installer there's no virus.

Understandable. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when someone complains about difficulty when they're playing the explicitly-labeled "Hard" mode. The game certainly isn't unfairly difficult—I had over twenty lives left when I beat it as Sonic. I'm an experienced player, but still.

Eh, it rubs ME up the wrong way to label the most platformy character in a platforming game as "hard mode".  Or more of, it annoys me when the only offer of an easy mode is the ability to skip half the game.  Might as well not play.

I don't suppose there is any kind of infinite lives cheat?  I'd be fine with toughing it out if Egg Rock wasn't so long but only getting three chances to beat "one false move and you're dead" areas after areas before having to start from the beginning of the level and play stuff you've already proven yourself good enough to beat is just maddening.

• Thumbs Up 4