Awoo.

Sonic Robo Blast 2

Sean

Supposedly Egg Rock's sudden massive difficulty spike was to be built up to with several levels and one entire zone, but they weren't done in time for 2.0. Said cut zone was also said to introduce a gimmick akin to Brak Eggman's rideable missles, which would have probably made the boss's solution stand out without having to look up a fucking guide for it. When I brought it up with the staff back in the day, I'm pretty sure they said something along the lines of wanting to give the game an actual conclusion for a change, even if it meant absolutely ruining the difficulty curve Eggmanland style in the process. Given how long the game's been in development for I guess I can't blame them, but I was still absolutely livid at it when I first got to the endgame.

You may want to swallow your pride and do a Tails run to learn what you're dealing with as far as level design goes first, but it's your call. =V

Well the thing is last update I couldn't even beat it with Tails soooo.

To be honest the skip in difficulty isn't the problem, the level wouldn't be any easier for having a build up to it really.  There's still tons of hazards that WILL kill you first time (I think it was the outdoors sections where you have like 5 seconds to figure out where to go and go there that pissed me off royally last time I played) and not enough easy-to-obtain lives to justify them.  I don't have the patience to replay everything I've done on the level so far just to creep a bit further or understand the next section a little better each time.

I do find it weird that they just jumped to designing the final levels though.  If they ever make a final release, how boring will it be for all the people to be done with the new content and then "play those final levels again" unless they one-up themselves and add another secret final level for the full game or something.

There are actually Super and Hyper levels that you unlock after the main game is complete. Two of the six are completed and included in 2.1. That's how they're planning on challenging the experienced players once the full game is released.

Isn't the official release up? It's the one called "Random Mirror".

I ignored Norton on that one and my computer says it might not have downloaded correctly. Why is this new download so complicated? Why aren't they using the 2.0 way of downloading anymore?

EDIT: Got it to work. It just confused me for a while because the self-extractor has really taken a simplistic approach in it's GUI for some reason... If you don't mind me asking, why is everything a cluttered mess on my desktop and not in a folder?

I found Egg Rock Zone super fun, especially act 2 from what I can remember of it. I eventually got to the point where I could finish it with minimal deaths, but I'm pretty sure it would kick my ass again today. Black Eggman was a pain though, even when you do figure out ways to beat him somewhat quickly.

Quick question... How am I supposed to use the patch? And I got the folder problem fixed, but where's the DOWNLOAD folder where all the .wads go?

Quick question... How am I supposed to use the patch? And I got the folder problem fixed, but where's the DOWNLOAD folder where all the .wads go?

Just put the patch in the SRB2 folder and it should work.

The download folder should be in the same folder as SRB2.

osggFE8.png

@GuywithPie: Luckily, I use the Mac version so I don't have that problem. For some reason the game doesn't automatically make an SRB2 folder when you extract the files, so when you extract them you have to make your own folder and specify that you want the files there. To use the patch, just drag the patch files into the same folder, and click "move and replace" when the popup asks you.

@Sean: The boss of Egg Rock Zone is completely different now, and much better. There's also a surprise before the final boss...

I did the patch stuff, but when I go to Online Multiplayer there are no servers and for some reason it's on "Offline mode"...

I did the patch stuff, but when I go to Online Multiplayer there are no servers and for some reason it's on "Offline mode"...

Press enter on "Offline mode" :|

Okay did something go wrong with my game or did they actually send me back to Egg Rock 1 for getting a Game Over on Egg Rock 2.

If you run out of continues, then yes. The game saves per zone, so you have to restart at your last save if you get a Game Over.

If you want to practice ERZ2 before making another attempt, I guess you can go to Record Attack since you get infinite lives there. There aren't any checkpoints, though.

Bleeegh I tried to use the infinite lives cheat and that has to be unlocked too.

I've got Egg Rock 1 down to a tee now but the crushing corridor always gives me a couple of deaths due to the camera screwing up as the crushers come down and generally I am just so bored of playing it over and over.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate that crushing corridor. I always take the right path in ERZ1 to avoid it.

...Not that that helps you, because it just means you'd have to learn an entirely new level. (I guess that cures boredom?)

Hmmm... The new update makes me interested in trying it for the first time. Maybe I will give it a shot.

I hate that crushing corridor. I always take the right path in ERZ1 to avoid it.

...Not that that helps you, because it just means you'd have to learn an entirely new level. (I guess that cures boredom?)

Yeah I remember having more trouble with the right route.  Though now I've learned that the goal is just after the outdoor area (where I always used to get to) maybe I won't have so much trouble.  Man though, that area is ridiculously tight if you don't run over and grab that flaming shield.  My current mystery is how the hell you have time to get across the right route outdoors place (with lava falls and upside-downness) near the start of Act 2 (I can get fairly far on the left route but don't even understand what you do on the right.

Wish I could activate a first person camera just for that crushing corridor though.  It'd be fine if the camera didn't throw me off.

I'm pretty sure there's a 1st person command. Was it Playerview 0-1? I'll have to check on that.

EDIT: Correction, it's Chasecam/Chasecam2. Must've mixed it up with something else. I actually prefer to play first person even in singleplayer, now that I think of it.

My current mystery is how the hell you have time to get across the right route outdoors place (with lava falls and upside-downness) near the start of Act 2 (I can get fairly far on the left route but don't even understand what you do on the right.

Made a GIF for you. Hope it helps.

hLTuQ4O.gif

Oh as simple as that huh?  There are so many rings and things to collect I always want to tackle every area without wanting to make use of Sonic's crazy long jump, assuming there is a more "correct" solution intended by the developers.

Thanks for the first person cam command Blacklightning.

Despite my grumbling I do enjoy this game, which is why I keep coming back here and moaning because I'm still playing it daily trying to beat it lol.

Despite my grumbling I do enjoy this game, which is why I keep coming back here and moaning because I'm still playing it daily trying to beat it lol.

Every gamer's reaction on a hard game like Battletoads.

I think there's a way to get infinite lives at the end of ERZ2 (which you'll defintely need for ERZ3). It was in the last version. I'll have to test if it's in 2.1 when I get home.

Okay, yes, it's still in the game.

At the end of ERZ2, there's a miniboss that's identical to the miniboss in Flying Battery Zone (where you have to dodge a laser while the room closes in on you). Once you get past that, you'll immediately enter a hallway that turns to the right (leading to an elevator that sends you to the end of the level). 

Instead of turning to the right, spindash into the wall that's right behind the second of the small grey pillars:

HE4oLci.gif

You'll get sent to a fairly challenging bonus room that acts as an alternate end to the level. Importantly, the entrance to the room has two 1up boxes right next to each other, and they respawn when you die. Therefore you can get infinite lives by getting both 1ups, dying, then getting them again, and repeat. Each time, your total lives goes up by one. 

You'll need a lot of lives for ERZ3.

By the way, I take back anything I've ever said about SRB2's engine sucking. I had no idea this was even possible with the engine:

Despite other people generally agreeing that cooperative multiplayer doesn't work with a Sonic game due to it's emphasis on speed (which I don't disagree with), I nonetheless personally think that actually looks kinda fun to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing as this thread exists, I might as well post this here for the all of two people who listened to me and Cyndus's podcast we had here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXq0buJ3S6vOerj2KeKpL3n7QF-hPg3DP

Basically, myself, Cyndus and a couple of other random people (The Dark Archon and Yholl) play through 2.1(.1) in co-op.

This game needs... improvement, to say the least. The resources they create are all fine and good, but it's almost like nobody it paying attention to the engine they are using. This is kind of a problem when that's the thing you actually need to play the game.