Awoo.

Cancelled Sonic Adventure Burger King Promotion comes to light

Badnik Mechanic

So this was briefly brought up in the auctions topic, but since it's also an insight into SA's marketing, figured some of you lot who don't check out that area would find it of interest.

burgerking40.jpg

Basically, it turns out that back in 1998, Sega had intended, or at least Burger Kings marketing agency had pitched a Sonic Adventure toy line which never made it into production. All the main cast were due to get toys including Gamma, Big and Eggman.

Some of the toys looked pretty cool, Eggman came with a mini Sonic figure and Gamma looks great. Though the names of some of the characters are just bizarre.

E.g. Walk 'Em Sock 'Em Knuckles? Erm.. don't you mean 'whack 'em?'

And we get Amy's toy...

burgerking34.jpg

Jesus Christ...

And then there's this puzzling one...

burgerking26-1024x768.jpg

Does that exist anywhere in Sonic Adventure? 

Full story and images on TSS.

• Thumbs Up 9

Lol that Amy artwork is almost Rule 34 territory.

Some of them look quite strange too, for example Sonic has Classic proportions but Modern eyes. But other than that, they're cool. I like the Gamma, Big and Knuckles ones in particular. =]

The way they straddle the line a bit between old-school SoA designs and Adventure's designs kind of reminds me of how Sonic the Comic's AoStH-style Robotnik started wearing Modern Eggman's outfit after a while. Weird, but cool.

I posted about these a couple of days ago in the status updates, but good on you for making a topic. I should've probably done that. lol

Yeah, it's sort of strange seeing how "western Sonic" they seemed to be. Maybe Sega pulled the plug on the project to keep the streamlined style for the toy line, since Resaurus and other companies were straight up doing SA-styled everything.. or at least to the most they seemed they could do.

I'm kinda sad we missed out on that Gamma toy though. That's just plain cool.

Original post -

Would've loved to have a wall of gammas

Oh, it's already posted? I would've never seen it if it weren't for Hoggy making a thread.

Thinking of My Sweet Passion as I'm looking at that Amy pose.

I do understand the feelings of a Persian cat.

(But the Sphinx looked so cute; I had to shave it)

Eep...

But I'm kind of sad that this was abandoned.  I'm sure the toys would have looked a lot better once they were actually designed than they do right now.  Oh well.

Oh, it's already posted? I would've never seen it if it weren't for Hoggy making a thread.

I'm just that fast. The thing is that I would've loved to be listed as a source on the article in the main site since that Sonic Adventure Premiums image came from my gallery.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah.

To be honest I've been away for the weekend and not really been able to browse SSMB. Just saw them in the market place, figured there might have been more so slapped completed listings on and bobs your uncle.

Yeah.

To be honest I've been away for the weekend and not really been able to browse SSMB. Just saw them in the market place, figured there might have been more so slapped completed listings on and bobs your uncle.

I bought that mock up since it was the only cheap one. I tried to make some offers for the rest of the set but it seems he is set on the prices he put. They're cool and all but I think  he is asking for too much.

That Amy figure has the most awkward pose conceivable...

It's So awkward, I find it all but "Inconceivable! ".

Looking at the designs, it seems that it was going to be a Sonic promotion but then at the last minute hastly changed the designs a bit to be more like Adventure. Since it doesn't look like the same design that was used in the game and other advertisements, it is the most likely reason why it didn't happen. Either that, Sega had other ideas or a communication issue between Sega, Burger King and the marketing group.

Judging by the toys, it looks like the Sonic, Knuckles and Tails toys were designed first since they have their classic design (on the Sonic Snowboarding toy, it says eyes black, not black with a green rim on the design sheet) and strangely enough the Knuckles Goes for a Spin toy has the AoSTH design of Robotnik instead of Dr. Eggman due to the conehead element. The Tails Tornado toy looks like it was edited since the original design included Sonic looking like his classic self but that element seems to have got cut out and probably the first toy that started to use elements of Sonic Adventure. Due to the numbers, the Sonic toys are 1 & 2, Knuckles is 3 & 4, Tails is 5 & 6. The Gamma, Big, squatting/chubby Amy and Dr. Eggman toys looks like the last ones to be designed since they would have had the designs of the characters at that point so quickly Sonic, Tails and Knuckles match their game design eyes on the colouring stage. Tails and Knuckles not as bad, but Sonic is the most noticeable with the slimmer but taller design.

At that point it looks like only the Twirling Tails toy was going to get tweaked due to the different styles between the drawings. The Sonic and Knuckles ones probably didn't go to that stage.

Would have been interesting to see the toys though (from memory, was there a Sonic R toy related thing at Burger King the year before?).

Did Amy take a trip down uncanny valley or something?

Gamma looks pretty cool.

Why is it called 'Walking Knuckles' when he's crawling?

It's not like designers had a total grasp on Sonic's new design, you know...

I know that. It just looks weird.

Oh. this means. Sonic is dying?..

or Sega Sammy will be start that abolish Sonic franchise?

or. just a merchandise is cancelled?

Anyone can explain this?

Oh. this means. Sonic is dying?..

or Sega Sammy will be start that abolish Sonic franchise?

or. just a merchandise is cancelled?

Anyone can explain this?

blink.png

Dude, really?

Just because a line of Burger King toys never seen the day of light, that doesn't mean Sonic is dying. Like where's the logic in that?

They were just scrapped for whatever reason