Awoo.

Sony Announces Project Morpheus - "Tumbling Down the Rabbit Hole."

DocAzure

The VR wars have begun, and let's just say the Virtual Boy seems to have been a little early off the mark.

630x.jpg

Sony announced a virtual reality headset for the Playstation 4 at  the Game Developer’s Conference today, joining the Oculus Rift as a high-profile headset promising to change the face of video games and electronics.

Sony have announced a new VR headset for the PS4, and it seems to be pushing forward like the Oculus Rift, for true virtual gaming.

“Since the early days of video games, the industry has grown by leveraging technological advances to create new experiences for gamers,” Yoshida said. Sony, he says, has been experimenting with virtual reality since the company started work on Playstation Move

“Virtual Reality is the next innovation from Playstation.”

It's clear by what their president is saying, that Sony are aiming to really make this the next step in gaming, and with the technology offered by the PS4, I'm very curious to see what comes about.

It seems clear also that Sony appear to be trying to one-up Microsoft, and their Xbox One's new Kinect.

In a certain sense, the VR headset serves as an answer to Microsoft’s Kinect — a brand new peripheral that fundamentally changes the way we interact with games. Similarly, both technologies remain mostly unproven — while VR has gained massive traction in techie circles, we still don’t know how well it will support full game experiences or mass markets. 

Thoughts?

Personally, I love the project name, very Matrix indeed!

SOURCE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/03/18/sony-announces-virtual-reality-headset-for-ps4/

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh yeah, I'm just awaiting the trove of Matrix jokes based off the name.

It's...interesting. Looks quite stylish to boot. It seems as though we have our first serious portray into VR gaming brotherdudejackmeengeen.

Don't call it a comeback. *drops mic and walks off stage*

"What is real? How can you define real? If real is what you can see, smell, taste or touch, then real is just...electrical impulses interpreted by your brain"

I personally think the Oculus Rift still looks better design wise, but I can't see VR being a huge thing for awhile due to the headaches it can cause.

MatrixBluePillRedPill.jpg

You take the red pill, the story ends, you will be transported back to your 1980 present day past, and you enjoy whatever virtual reality products you want to enjoy-your best available attempt being a red-and-black eye-straining piece of garbage...commonly known as "Virtual Boy."

You take the blue pill, you will be transported to the Wonderland that resides in the future of videogaming, where we at PlayStation will show you how deep the rabbit hole goes before you can reach the nirvana where greatness awaits.

matrix.jpg

The choice is yours. Live in your world, or play in ours.

*fills in Matrix joke checkbox*

• Thumbs Up 8

Imagine a Sonic game with this....I know there's an Oculus mod for Generations, but I mean actually by SEGA...

"WOOOOOO" -Jason the Griffith

Having used and experienced Oculus, I'm not sold on VR. The tech is interesting and fun, but the general effectiveness of how useful it ultimately is and what it can add to a game will be undermined by the kind of game it has built around. It runs a massive risk of being a gimmick that can only function under duress of a comprehensible game, and it's not necessarily an accessible one either due to the minor health effects that come associated with it.

So color me skeptical that this is little more than jumping onto a rather premature bandwagon which may not pay off as well as it seems like they expect.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just like when Sony and Microsoft jumped on the motion-control bandwagon because Nintendo made it popular with the Wii, I wonder if Project Morpheus and the Oculus Rift might inspire Nintendo to focus on a similar gimmick.

Well, I guess they sorrrta started to do that with the 3DS... nah, that's probably a stretch. xP

And then people will say Nintendo is copying Sony and Microsoft. If they don't go VR next-gen, then people will say they aren't being innovative enough. It's lose-lose.

Dear Sega.

Alien_Isolation.jpg

Make it happen.

Edit: Ok so I've not tired Rift yet, I want to but... not fully sold on the idea to be honest, can only see myself using it for one or two experiences.

Edit 2: "Sony... I believe!" 

Oh wait, don't sony use the word 'believe' in their adverts?

• Thumbs Up 1

Actualy, nintendo did try this first, it was called: The Virtual Boy, albiet it was a trainwreck due to the thing has, and always will, and thats health issues, as it can cause a lot of problems, and prolonged exposure can cause problems even there arent at first

I do think though if this is Sony's Kinect, and Nintendo does their own thing next console gen, I think the industry will benefit from each company having their own innovation

sony_gdc_0462.jpg

At least it doesn't look bulky.

Must resist urge to Photoshop something else under that cloth.

The Last Guardian?

The Last Guardian?

I was thinking more a severed head... ... ... Or a miniature Kaz.

I feel like this tech will be huge for first person anything games and simulations, but little worth with anything else.

I'm cool with that. Though I think games with too much movement may get you easily motion sick; imagine Mirror's Edge on this; blech.

Best of luck to Sony with this thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think VR warrants a ton of potential, especially in horror titles. Though I'm happy Sony is taking the prospect seriously and developing on it, I can't help but feel like there's a bit of "jumping on the bandwagon" in effect. The general public haven't even had the chance to try Oculus commercially yet.

And then people will say Nintendo is copying Sony and Microsoft. If they don't go VR next-gen, then people will say they aren't being innovative enough. It's lose-lose.

Who the hell cares what the idiots say? If this is a viable market then it only makes sense for them to keep in line with the times.

I'm excited as hell to play a racing game with this thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

THE FUTURE IS HERE.

PRAISE THE SUN.

Okay seriously, I honestly don't see the whole VR thing going anywhere. I feel it'll be a trainwreck. 

Why do I have a feeling that this is going to be the next kinect