Awoo.

Sony Announces Project Morpheus - "Tumbling Down the Rabbit Hole."

DocAzure

I feel like VR is going to be similar to the transition from 2D to 3D and these are the first steps. I am definitely drinking the koolaid right now. 

Well, this is interesting, at least.

But the worrying part is the lack of details when it comes to specs. This thing needs to be at least as good as the Oculus Rift's Crystal Cove revision to be remotely viable.

It looks cool, but I don't think VR is going to catch on anytime soon. Give it another 5 years and maybe it will be the next step in gaming. 

Also if this thing costs ungodly amounts of money you bet it's not going to sell much. See 3D tv's.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's a reason the Virtual Boy failed, and it wasn't just the red and black. VR in itself causes headaches regardless of whether the picture is high quality or not. It'll be a nice side project, but I don't see it becoming the next step in the games industry until a generation of people that ends up not getting sick from VR.

There's a reason the Virtual Boy failed, and it wasn't just the red and black. VR in itself causes headaches regardless of whether the picture is high quality or not. It'll be a nice side project, but I don't see it becoming the next step in the games industry until a generation of people that ends up not getting sick from VR.

A lot of people working with VR are aware of this, Oculus even released a rather lengthy guide explaining good practices for VR implementation.

Though tech also has a lot to do with it as well, the Rift is being refined with stuff like proper headtracking to minimize sickness issues where possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I definetly think it's interesting, and if it's not as expensive, I'll probably get it when I get a PS4.

However, I'm moreso interested for technical details, I'll wait for the general consensus for anything else.

I think there is a mistake in assuming that this is being positioned as a mass-market product.

It may well be, if they can price it well enough. If not, they could just convert it into a piece of high technology, price it so they get decent margins, and then sell it to the hyper-enthusiast. 

As for this being a knee-jerk/me-too reaction to the Occulus Rift...well, Sony have been working on VR for a long-ass time. Some of the prototypes they've shown go back to 2010, which pre-dates the Rift comfortably.

I remain quite sceptical about this announcement, let alone Virtual Reality in video games. With the current video game development model spiralling out of control, I don’t think developers are going to take the risk and support it en masse. From my perspective, VR seems more like a very niche market to experiment in due to its expensive availability to the average consumer, not to mention the minor health effects that may be associated with it. IMO, I think it’s something that will be undeniably cool to experiment but not used on a regular basis.

Another reason why I am sceptical about this VR in particular is due to Sony being the manufacturer. One thing I have learned about Sony whenever they introduce a new peripheral is their tendency to give little to no support after its initial year. Some examples are the Eye Toy, Playstation Eye, Playstation Move, Wonderbook, or Playstation 3D TV amongst others. Overall, Sony has a horrible track record with additional peripherals and I am afraid Project Morpheus could end up having little to no support a year or two after release if they go through the same route. Also, I am a bit iffy after seeing other Playstation-related peripherals such as the Playstation Eye being listed as part of Morpheus’ experience, making me wonder whether these are required alongside the VR set or optional.

While Sony have been working on VR for years with some of their prototypes being designed back in 2010 I find it coincidental how they announced this project (still in prototype stage, might I add) after seeing how Oculus Rift really started to get attention. But anyway, it all goes down to how much support and success it will receive later on from developers, consumers and, most importantly, Sony themselves.

I get motion sick easy so I'll probably need to write this off, sadly.

I'll be interested to see exactly what they can come up with, though.

Yeah, very unsure on how virtual reality was ever the "future of gaming", but it seems to have always been the center of some people's attention for a very long time. The concept is really cool, sure, but unconventional and looks to be very headache inducing. Also, too much immersion would actually be a big distraction for whenever you got more to worry about than just sit there and game all the time, and I can't really think of any time I'd have nothing to worry about but gaming. :v

The design of this new VR headset Sony has going is super sleek, though. 

This could catch on now, in a couple of years or yet another decade. I don't know what to think of this really, since there's so dang little we know of it besides frothing over 1080p. 

I think this could be pretty awesome myself. I don't think that this will be the "future of gaming" or anything, but it could be really fun for what it is. I imagine it turning out kind of like the EyeToy, which isn't a bad thing because I had a lot of fun with that thing back in the PS2 days, for a little while at least.

As usual I'm concerned about motion sickness.  I've had it bad from such things in the past, but the technology has advanced a lot.  

The virtual boy caused headaches and eyestrain because of the strange way it produced an image.  The LCDs of the day weren't up to the task so they rigged up a system where a single row of LCDs are reflected by an oscillating mirror.  Much flickering was the result.