Awoo.

RIP Fred Phelps (1929-2014)

Biafra Republic

Look, I really don't want people to confuse my thoughts and I need y'all to know that I in no way support Phelps or his hateful views. But honestly, I just don't think two wrongs make a right. (being hateful to a hateful man)

I'm Christian, but I know better than to discriminate against others. I go by Christ's philosophy of "love thy enemy", which Phelps clearly didn't. Death is always sad no matter what, and I would've much rather seen him reverse his ways and become an enlightened individual, but he instead wasted his life. That's fuckin' sad.

If I were to meet someone I had absolutely zero respect and zero tolerance for, and that I absolutely despised, my first instinct isn't to wish death upon them. My first instinct is to wish they change their ways.

I understand being angry because of Phelps discrimination. Completely. But to those of you who are "happy" about his death, wouldn't you be much happier to see him reverse his ways and become enlightened?

(kind of off topic, but I find it kinda funny the thread title reads "Rest in Peace :P)

If I were to meet someone I had absolutely zero respect and zero tolerance for, and that I absolutely despised, my first instinct isn't to wish death upon them. My first instinct is to wish they change their ways.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm fully in agreement with most that Phelps was (to be blunt) an asshole and the world is a better place without him. I just wish he had been able to change.

I may not be Christian, but I think the Bible sums up my perspective nicely: "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him." - Luke 17:3

I have no shortage of homophobes or racists in my family, but I'd be very sad at their passing regardless. One of the toughest things to do in life, I think, is remove that "family" qualifier, and feel some sort of compassion for the monsters we're not related to.

Overall, what a waste of human potential on his part. If any of his children have inherited his talents, I hope they'll use them for good rather than evil. It sounds like Phelps was slowly starting to see the error of his ways, but he died before his eyes could open fully; I hope those who survived him are able to open theirs much sooner.

• Thumbs Up 2

My thoughts exactly.

I'm fully in agreement with most that Phelps was (to be blunt) an asshole and the world is a better place without him. I just wish he had been able to change.

I may not be Christian, but I think the Bible sums up my perspective nicely: "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him." - Luke 17:3

I have no shortage of homophobes or racists in my family, but I'd be very sad at their passing regardless. One of the toughest things to do in life, I think, is remove that "family" qualifier, and feel some sort of compassion for the monsters we're not related to.

Overall, what a waste of human potential on his part. If any of his children have inherited his talents, I hope they'll use them for good rather than evil. It sounds like Phelps was slowly starting to see the error of his ways, but he died before his eyes could open fully; I hope those who survived him are able to open theirs much sooner.

Exactly this, guys. Forgive my inability to properly word things in a comprehensible manner. It's not exactly my forte, but I try what I can.

Don't assume that I liked Fred Phelps in any capacity (as he was, what I would so eloquently describe as a pure cunt) and nor am I saddened by his death. However, while I must emphasise that he does not deserve much or any respect, I don't think stooping down to his level and coming up with the suggestion of picketting his funeral and such is... well, it's not unwarranted, but it isn't... well, necessary. What's there to gain from that? Biggottry and hate leads to more biggottry hate. Don't add to it.

I know someone will accuse me of being on a high horse, that I'm a 'moralfag' et al, but again: he was a vile human being, and you know what? I do think the world is a better place without him. I do, in the most literal sense, hate what he was. But retribution on a dead person will prove nothing and do nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

But to those of you who are "happy" about his death, wouldn't you be much happier to see him reverse his ways and become enlightened?

Of course I would.

But as far as I know, he never did.

And as for this:

If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him." - Luke 17:3

How do I know he repented? How do I know he didn't retain his views all the way to the end? I can only hope he did some serious repenting in his last moments, but I don't know if he did, and I seriously doubt it anyway, so my stance remains the same.

Like I said, I'm hardly stooping to his level by feeling glad or even relieved that he's gone. I'm not picketing his funeral. I'm not harassing his family. I'm not calling him slurs. I'm simply expressing my feelings towards his death. Said feelings just happen to be of slight joy and relief rather than empathy.

How do I know he repented? How do I know he didn't retain his views all the way to the end? I can only hope he did some serious repenting in his last moments, but I don't know if he did, and I seriously doubt it anyway, so my stance remains the same.

You don't, is the thing. It's one of those unique issues we humans, as a non-omniscient species, have to deal with. We cannot tell who is and isn't pennant, and whether said penance is genuine.

I'm hardly stooping to his level by feeling glad or even relieved that he's gone. I'm not picketing his funeral. I'm not harassing his family. I'm not calling him slurs. I'm simply expressing my feelings towards his death. Said feelings just happen to be of slight joy and relief rather than empathy.

I've never implied such. That's in other folks' arguments.

Myself personally, I don't see the point in negativity towards someone who's dead. Though by negativity, I don't mean a brief criticism, so much as active celebration or doing more than simply saying one's thoughts in short. I'm not implying anyone is doing this either, just as a precaution.

"Phelps was a jerk and the world is better without him" isn't what I'm against so much as "I hope people picket his funeral in retribution."

Look at the end of the day, he's just another of millions of dead men today. 'Tis best to simply carry on and not dwell on it.

I personally don't see anything wrong with hating Fred Phelps. I don't see anything wrong with taking joy in the fact that we don't have to share air with this bigoted, sub-human, trailer park trash piece of garbage that is crazier than a shit house rat. So yeah. Fuck him.

• Thumbs Up 4

Welp.

10001433_10152352584059052_31021802_n.jp

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/westboro-baptist-church-protests-lorde-concert-first-protest-since-phelps-passing

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Members of the Westboro Baptist Church continued their protests without their longtime pastor Fred Phelps outside the Midland Theatre in Downtown Kansas City.

More than 20 protesters protested pop star's Lorde concert, however it was another message that stuck out. A group of counter protesters held up a sign that read "sorry for your loss."

Megan Coleman helped make the sign.

"We realized that it wasn't so much about antagonizing them," she said, "but sending out the countered safe that we are here for people who need that message and need that positivity."

Yet, the message meant nothing to Steve Drain a longtime Westboro member.

"I don't even know what they're saying," he said.

According to the church's website, members have protested nearly 53,000 events including concerts and military soldier funerals.

Earlier this week, pastor and founder Fred Phelps died from natural causes.

Despite the lack of care for their message expressing condolences, Coleman has noticed that the Westboro protests have had a ripple effect, in fact a positive impact.

"It still does kind of bring other people together and so I think it's kind of counter-productive on that end," she said. 

Didn't even phase them. Oh well. 

I never said I pitied Phelps. I'm not in anyway on his side, and I strongly disagree with his morals. I have no negative intentions.

I just don't like seeing humans cheer on the death of another human no matter who they are. It feels mean-spirited and inhumane to me.

I.E. My grandmother wasn't very fond of black people. Am I not allowed to be sad when she died?

I'm only putting Phelps' family into consideration here.

Since time immemorial humans have cheered for the deaths of others. We weren't created 24 years ago and instantly thought morality was such a big deal. If something or someone we dislike or even hate has been removed, we'll be happy. That's just how it is.

Phelps' family may be grieving, but honestly, in our position, we have no reason to care whatsoever. Phelps brought this on to himself, what his family thinks of him is no concern of ours, they can think of him as they please. Besides, we're not bashing on his family here, we're bashing Phelps and his actions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never implied such. That's in other folks' arguments.

I never said you did. I was, again, responding to people who did say that.