Awoo.

Sonic moments that you found haunting?

Big Panda

was gonna say the ghosts from Pumpkill Hill to Death Chamber, but since others have said that, I'll go with this...

Amy's Hot Shelter.

Which part in particular?

2NWUYrl.png

N7lfjkF.png

THIS.

"Oh hey Hot Shelter as Amy. This was easy enough as Big and E-102, let's go check it out!"

Little puzzle with ZERO strangely not chasing Amy throughout it... then boom, he appears on the screen... and SMASH.

6-year-old me never screamed so hard. This part fucking terrified me as a kid ;A;

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with those who say this is frightening.

Also, and I think someone else brought it up, but failed to show this image:
800px-SonicEliseKiss.png

It wouldn't be so bad if Elise looked more like a cartoon human.

• Thumbs Up 3

I find this quite chilling; to me it doesn't give the feeling of a volcano. More like someone's lost or alone. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this Sonic moment haunted me for three whole months and made me paranoid.

Guess what it is?

I say "paranoid" because for three whole months I kept chatting with increasing frequency with a friend, mostly out of fear of feeling THAT lonely. And with the fear that something bad has happened to said friend whenever he didn't answer me within a day.

Thankfully now I got rid of that phase.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Darkspine Sonic. He doesn't have any pupils, and that is wrong.

• Dark Gaia's final transformation in Sonic Unleashed. The slime, the squishy sounds... ugh! And then you have to hit him in the eyeball, which is also kind of disgusting when you think about it. 

• The concept of enslaving innocent animals is rather dark. What happens to the Flickies inside the badniks that Sonic misses? And what about self-destructing badniks?

• While on the topic of final boss transformations, this cutscene. I don't know what it is about it - the music, the sound of the "wings" growing, or the sheer horror in the heroes' eyes, but it's always creeped me out.

• The pool of blood in SA2's Dark Chao Garden, as well as the BGM, scenery, and everything else about it.

dark_garden___sonic_adventure_2_by_reall

• Digital Dimension in Sonic Riders has a heaven/hell theme. In the hell part, ghostly, moaning claws try to grab you and pull you into a pit...

• I don't know why, but the continue music from Sonic Adventure gives me chills. Good thing extra lives are easy to come by, so I don't have to hear it!

• This is getting pretty obscure, but the player character animations in Sonic's Schoolhouse are rather... demonic. I'm looking at you, pig.

• Thumbs Up 2

TBF, the pupiless thing is a general feature when characters are angry or 'blind with fury.'

EDIT: It just occurred to me that this slowly turning into a 'stuff you find creepy in Sonic' rather than stuff that was just haunting.

@SonikkuForever

Oh my. Maybe it's my disliking of glitchy like thingsn but those Sonic Schoolhouse animations just scared the flok outta me. Glad it's still daylight.... D: now my brain suffers with those images.

I don't know why, but when I was younger and I had just beaten the dark story on SA2, I got a little traumatized when the announcer finished narrating Sonic's biography or whatever and then goes on to say, "Goodbye, Sonic.  Goodbye, forever."  It took me about a week to remind myself that it wasn't a canon ending.  (Not that I knew the word at the time.)  On a related note, I can't find that on YouTube, so if anyone can, I'd appreciate that.

I also found the US version of Sonic CD's boss and game over themes to be rather traumatizing.  Except, they're probably some of my favorite music from the series because of it.  Seriously, I love them, though I probably wouldn't want to see them in a Sonic game again.

There was another I remember being particularly creepy.  I'm not sure what it was, but I remember it haunted my dreams for years.  I don't know what I would do if I saw it again.  I think it had something to do with Sonic at school or somehi-

IXdc9MU.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

Realising I still need another 50 or so stars before I can unlock Gilius Thunderhead in All-Stars Transformed. That's a terrifying prospect. ;)

KTXBpas.png

Young me: "Oh jeez, a skeleton badnik? Eh, shouldn't be a probl-"

1EvCooC.png

Oh...

This actually still freaks me out sometimes today, it's more about the fact that it's never really explained who or what it is or what it's origins are. That and he tends to appear more through the level but if you also look, his face is adorned in a lot of the detail in the castle. The walls, the brass details on doors, even through the windows when the lightning strikes in the hall ways, even though there are no details on the windows to even project a skull, they're just bars. Also don't forget the giant statues that move to help you progress. It's weird, but slightly unsettling when I think too hard about it.

Speaking of things that are really scary...

Sonic Simulator music. Great Scott how ear-grating it is.

Though since this "game" was programmed by Eggman himself, it makes that the soundtrack sounds so ominous and apocaliptic

This actually still freaks me out sometimes today, it's more about the fact that it's never really explained who or what it is or what it's origins are. That and he tends to appear more through the level but if you also look, his face is adorned in a lot of the detail in the castle. The walls, the brass details on doors, even through the windows when the lightning strikes in the hall ways, even though there are no details on the windows to even project a skull, they're just bars. Also don't forget the giant statues that move to help you progress. It's weird, but slightly unsettling when I think too hard about it.

I feel that way about Mystic Mansion in its entirety, to be quite honest. But while we're on the subject of haunted levels, how about that...thing in Cryptic Castle? You know, the one that chases Shadow down the grind rails? Yeah, I still have nightmares about it. The funny thing is, that's the only thing about Cryptic Castle that actually scares me.

@Mephiles' Whisper: Oh, so that's where that song's from. I remember hearing it once before.

Anyway, let's see what I can talk about in this topic. Hmm, people have already talked about CD's American soundtrack and its hidden message... Fakery Way from Amy's Twinkle Park was mentioned... as was Gerald's pre-execution speech and Sonic 2 8-bit's bad ending...Oh wait, I know what I can talk about.

Lost Colony in Sonic Adventure 2.

You have a place that was the site of a mass murder and was subsequently shut down because of it. It's been sitting like this, dark and completely abandoned, for nearly fifty years now, with only the guard robots being left. I imagine just walking through this place would make one feel very uneasy. The creepiest part of the level I find is where you're riding this elevator up this freaking giant room, with crimson lights blinking on and off - in fact, the only way to make that particular part more disturbing would be to remove all the enemies so you can't get any extra light off them, thereby making the red lights the only source of illumination in the room.

The music doesn't help much either;

Hell, even the solemn way Omochao talks about the place when you first bump into him in the level is kind of disturbing in a subtle way. Lost Colony has an atmospheric creepiness that none of the other ARK levels can attest to. Whether that's a good or a bad thing all depends on your opinion...

• Thumbs Up 4

Lost Colony in Sonic Adventure 2.

You have a place that was the site of a mass murder and was subsequently shut down because of it. It's been sitting like this, dark and completely abandoned, for nearly fifty years now, with only the guard robots being left. I imagine just walking through this place would make one feel very uneasy. The creepiest part of the level I find is where you're riding this elevator up this freaking giant room, with crimson lights blinking on and off - in fact, the only way to make that particular part more disturbing would be to remove all the enemies so you can't get any extra light off them, thereby making the red lights the only source of illumination in the room.

The music doesn't help much either;

Hell, even the solemn way Omochao talks about the place when you first bump into him in the level is kind of disturbing in a subtle way. Lost Colony has an atmospheric creepiness that none of the other ARK levels can attest to. Whether that's a good or a bad thing all depends on your opinion...

HOLY SHIT YES.

Lost Colony has seriously unsettled me from the very first time I played it. It's even worse for me since I have a fear of the dark  >_<;; What cinches it is the way the circuitry inside the walls glows red on and off. And the thought that the colony has been like that for 50 years, it's corridors pitch black and haunted by robots is just...freakishly haunting.

And I agree on the Cryptic Castle monster. I mean what the hell is this thing?

S.T.H._-_Image_-_32.jpg

The screams it makes are just unearthly.

• Thumbs Up 5

Perfect Dark Gaia in this cutscene... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsAr0rJIg40

The arms busting out, the green blood gushing out, and the slimy things unveiling the eyes... My goodness, this thing actually exist in the core of Earth?! This Monster of the Week really does give Perfect Chaos some competition. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I haven't played this game, but thanks to TV Tropes I found out this... this... thing

sonicnf2_8681.jpg

The noise it makes when you hit it, makes things ten times worse.

Sonic Colours- Running out of time while using the Drill power gave me chills. 

http://youtu.be/kR2Zx8D5inA

That first cutscene of the Last Story in Sonic Adventure, with the Tornado 2 in front of Big's House.

• 1 month later...

Oh my gosh, THIS.

Gerald's words are that of a poor man who's lost everything. It's really depressing that he would go to such lengths to avenge his granddaughter. It's also chilling when Rouge begins to read the diary. She takes on a uncharacteristic sullenness that I'm not at all used to.

And when Gerald starts speaking of revenge and Shadow's name appears in red text, all staticky and distorted? Ugh.

Not to mention the guard yelling "Ready!" before the video replays. Dude, did Gerald just get executed right after?!