Awoo.

Hover: Revolt of Gamers (PC/Wii U/PS4/XBONE) | JSRF meets Mirror's Edge

#AR

Well, this video released recently. Nothing big to show off, but yeah. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1Y3lc1yKA

I still love how the world looks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So the team posted this on their Facebook yesterday:

1960837_607661942687191_8566727222810265

HMM I WONDER WHO THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE...

• Thumbs Up 7

• 2 weeks later...

First Kickstarter update from the crew

Thanks for you support ! In a day thanks to you Hover is already half way to the base goalYou're awesome !

We'll answer your questions and clarify things about the game at each update.

We've noticed that many of you were wondering about the Grind-E and Big Boss Editionrewards.

Concerning the Mayor and Grind-E, they are non playable characters of the story, one of them being the Dictator of Hover City, the other belonging to the mysterious Breakers gang.  

Backers who've chosen these options will be able to play these characters from the begining of the game !

Some of you want to see these characters available to everyone. It's important for us to reassure you, similarly designed characters with the same stats will be present in the game.

Of course, Grind-E and the Mayor will remain a kickstarter exclusivity and won't be given an advantage in their statistics compared to the many other characters of the story.

There were also questions about local multiplayer mode. We are nostalgic of the time when games were very much played in local multiplayer and without having to buy the same game several times it was possible to have fun with a lot of people.

This is why it's important to make this possible for Hover. However it's a real technical challenge. For example for a 2-players splitted screen, everything must becalculated twice, we then have to develop specific optimization technologies.

Furthermore, Hover is a dense and dynamic open world, which is rare for local multiplayer mode and represent one more challenge for it.

We know people are always expecting more customization tools, this is why we're developing a mission editor.

For example you'll be able to challenge your friends on your own races, change different objectives and this in real time wether you're in solo or multiplayer mode.

If by chance we reach higher stretch goals we would love to push customization even further, like develop a character editor, or even make it a modabble game !

Well, it's been about two days and we're already at about 30k, so I really hope this does become a successful crowdfunder so we can get all these juicy new features!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to keep my eye on this for sure! But for someone who adores both JSR and Hideki Naganuma's music, I'm really not feeling this game. Maybe I've just not seen enough or it's just cause the footage is too early, cause it definitely sounds brilliant.

Can't say I like the art style enough to actually back it, but I'll check it out once it's out. Props to them for getting Naganuma.

We're just about at the Naganuma/Graffiti mode stretch goal! Only a couple hundred more bucks at the time of writing.

EDIT: WE GOT IT!

The big man himself had this to say about the game:

"It was love at first sight. Hover has hot graphics and a cool worldview. At first glance, I felt like I’d love to make music for Hover. This feeling’s been a long time since Jet Set Radio Future." ~Hideki Naganuma

More about the graffiti mode here.

Nice to know that Naganuma is into this, I hope he hasn't lost his touch since JSRF and can still create some very great music.

Nice to know that Naganuma is into this, I hope he hasn't lost his touch since JSRF and can still create some very great music.

Well if his music from Dead Heat Riders is anything to go by, we should be fine in that aspect.

Well if his music from Dead Heat Riders is anything to go by, we should be fine in that aspect.

Had no idea about this game (or that it came out last year) but yep, your right he can definitely still bring the music.

New update!

This one describes the...dare I say, "Rokkaku Police" of the game. You can actively get jailed by these things if they catch you. Apparently, these drones can also be playable too! Interesting.

Anyone in doubt of whether or not Naganuma does or doesn't still have his musical touch, this was uploaded today:

https://soundcloud.com/hideki-naganuma/hideki-naganuma-your-knife-feels-good

This is actually from "KUROHYO - Ryu Ga Gotoku Shinsho"/"Yakuza Black Panther" for PSP, which was released in 2010.

He's still active under the name SKANKFUNK, I believe. 

As of this post, the $80K goal has now been reached, meaning they'll now be able to create a brand new district to play around in. There also seems to have been a small boost in backers as of late, which is nice.

The last remaining goal (at least until they announce more) is the Wii U version. Fingers crossed that it gets there. I was unfortunately only able to back $15, but I still have no regrets.

As of this post, the $80K goal has now been reached, meaning they'll now be able to create a brand new district to play around in. There also seems to have been a small boost in backers as of late, which is nice.

The last remaining goal (at least until they announce more) is the Wii U version. Fingers crossed that it gets there. I was unfortunately only able to back $15, but I still have no regrets.

I'll back some money at some point myself (just need to figure out how much I wanna donate) since this kickstarter still has a good few weeks left on it.

As Wii U Players we are great fans of the Wii U and we are sad too notice the lack of attention given to this really great console. As developers we want to bring to the Wii U an ambitious game that will use the specifications of the gamepad and its possibilities of asymetric game mode.  

Even if the WiiU is a console with a very decent performance, it's kind of pale in comparison to the technical ambitions that we have for Hover.

That's why we need to create a unique version for the console with specific optimization. The task is a lot harder because Hover is a huge, dense and dynamic openworld and we don't want to release a WiiU game that doesn't have a good local multiplayer mode.

It's a Nintendo console and we appreciate a lot the conviviality of the manufacturer about multiplayer games.

I really like how they're not gonna be chintzing out on this version if that goal is reached. Makes me wonder how they're gonna be working with the Gamepad functions.

Still no Wii U version yet, but two new stretch goals have been added!

$125,000 - Hoverboards to ride on throughout the city and a new Swing-Hook accessory inspired by games like Spider-Man 2.

$150,000 - The ability to create and customize a male or female character.

I'm not too fussed about editable characters myself, but I would really love accessories like that for a sense of ultimate freedom. It looks like they might be cutting it close with the $100,000 goal as it is, though, which is a bummer.