Awoo.

What if there was a Sonic "real life" action type movie?

TailsTellsTales

What if they had made a Sonic "real life" action type movie? As in "real life" Sonic in "real life" saving the world from "real life" Robotnik? Could you imagine how it would look like?

I am interested in what you have to think about Sonic "real life" movie. As in...

- What the story in movie could be like?

- What countries would Robotnik be trying to conquer over?

- Who could be the actor for Robotnik?

- The special effects.

- Interactions with the people and Robotnik.

- Interactions with the people and Sonic characters.

- Movie rating.

- How the characters would look in "real life"?

- The characters special abilities.

- Would the people know about Sonic or never heard of him?

- Would you watch the movie if it was ever made on?

- Any other thing you think up

Please try to say more besides "That will never happen." type talk since it is not the main point and likely to not happen anyway. I already checked to see if this type of topic exists and did not find any. If this already exists then sorry. :( I hope this topic meets the high standards for topic than. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

*cough*

sonicposter.jpg

Friendly reminder, this was a thing.

With that said, I honestly would never want to see a live action Sonic film. The franchise is about a blue hedgehog that runs at the speed of sound. A fictional world should stay in fiction. We don't need another Super Mario Bros. I really don't think there is any way you could translate Sonic's world into real life. It just wouldn't work. The reason the series is so great is because it's a fictional fantasy world where things don't have to make sense. Eggman doesn't have to be a overly dark villain. And if we were to get a live action movie (which I wouldn't want. ever.) I'd like it to good old Eggman making robots trying to take over the world (Mobius?) and Sonic stopping him. That's all you really need, and the charm comes from the simplicity of it all.

• Thumbs Up 9

Watch Eddie LeBron's fan movie. It has Sonic in a real world setting, didn't exactly work.

What if there was a live action Sonic movie, and it stared real animals that are dyed? (like a actual blue hedgehog and red echidna and yellow fox... ) it would look so weird!!   I mean, some movies with talking animals like that are cute happy.png.... but others are plain old creepy/boring. But this idea of real animals representing sonic characters is making me laugh!!!!! LOL!

but yeah. Eddie Lebron's live action was a little bothersome to be honest. I especially didn't like how Knuckles had fingers... I guess sega and them didn't pick up on all the dislike for that when they designed Sonic boom unsure.png .

But anyways, If they made it more Sonic game like then comic book like (like the Lebron movie was based on) then perhaps something cool could come out of it. but for now, I like animated Sonic smile.png

But maybe though, it could work, if sonic was CGI and didn't look so realistic as the Eddie Lebron film. It could work with an adaption of Sonic adventure Or SA2.  but the people would have to be like, sonic-y. The Eddie Lebron movie tried too hard to me a american military refuge type movie. It revolved too much around humans and not enough around sonic.

I think that Sonic and his friends should be seen as normal inhabitants n the planet. I think that in Sonic's world, There are humans, and humanoid animals and they all just interact like people. (however, I think a no no for relationships such as Sonic and Elise... that is disturbing dry.png )

Eggman as a real life person is a tough one. for some reason, when ever people tried to make him more human in the past he totally lost his personality. He could look real and be the same Dictator with a goal to build Eggman land, yet still have a humorous sense of sarcasm like he does in the games right? I mean... he doesn't need to become Hitler just because he has a realistic appearance.  that seriously makes no sense to me. 

I think any sonic movie shouldn't have a higher rating than PG. I mean, Sonic is a Kid's game and while older audiences enjoy it, Sonic is not Sonic without that feeling of being a Sonic game. any "darker adaptions" never played well in the past. Such as the Super Mario Brothers movies, and  the Ninja turtles movies. I mean, no one was expecting that when they saw those movies. (what was with the 80's and gangster movies anyways?? wacko.png )

So would I see it? it really depends on the story and if it is sonic-y enough. However, that goes for all Sonic stuff real or animated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Swift Winds hit the nail on the head.

At the end of the day, Sonic is a series about a blue hedgehog who can run through rings. You can't get any more or less cartoonish than that. If I'm going to have high hopes for a Sonic film, it's that it should be animated, first and foremost. Whether or not it would be hand drawn or CG, I could go either way, but Eddie Lebron's disastrous fan film already showed me Sonic is a concept that simply can not be done in live action. I would rather see a fun, animated flick doing Sonic justice than a pretentious, Michael Bay-ified take on Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

A Sonic live-action movie would most likely be bad on principle, because it thoroughly misses the point of the series' Disney-esque art style, as well as the relative lack of civilian major characters throughout the series' history. Live-action would invite both extremely easily unless they decided to gussy everything up with CGI-rendered worlds in which real people were inserted into them a la Avatar (they would not, because it's Sonic), which only begs the question of why the director didn't do it in animation. It is a concept mired a complete lack of knowledge and respect for the franchise. The very idea on paper is shooting the movie in the legs right out of the gate.

FAN FICTION CAME TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, these kinds of posts really don't contribute to overall topic at hand and are pretty much just spam. Talk at some length about the topic at hand instead.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm all for a Sonic movie myself. But keep it animated and set in a largely fantasy/sci-fi world. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a made up world. Look at Sonic X, after all. That was clearly set mostly in the United States, but it was also a futuristic world with futuristic technology. You need that kind of sci-fi/fantasy element in a Sonic story, I think, so a futuristic setting works best, rather than a more present day setting. We sure as hell don't need Sonic meeting Tony Blair...

post-200-0-82368500-1396201081_thumb.png

What did I just say, Lew Stringer?! What did I just say?!

Seriously though, live action Sonic is perhaps a fun fan project, but it's a disaster waiting to happen if Hollywood got hold of it. Sadly, the precedent is already there with rubbish like Michael Bay's Transformers movies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and The Smurfs. 

Yeah, that fan film shows a  example of what would happened if it was a live action movie. While I liked the fact that the fan film had Sonic being animated, a real life action movie won't work. If they happen to actually make a live action movie, it's going to end up like this:

MV5BNDc3OTQ1OTkwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzUz

Yeah, let's not see this again.

Eugh... That model...

Yeah, put in the crowd that doesn't want to see a live-action Sonic movie, especially if it's going for a dark and edgy type of action film. Like what SwiftWinds said, this is a franchise about a blue talking cartoon hedgehog who can run at the speed of sound fighting an egg-shaped mad scientist. I don't think putting him and his friends in a "real life" setting is really needed. Just keep them in their own cartoon world and make it a full CG film, I'm all for that. To me, live-action adaptations of video game are never a good thing as filmmakers seems to get them wrong all the time. No matter how hard they try, they just end up failing. Sonic would've easily suffered from a filmmaker, who has no idea or interest of the series, and makes a film that would go completely against the cartoon world that Sonic and his friends live in and make it an unnecessary dark, edgy and unenjoyable film.

Edit: I should've mention that there are some video game movies are guilty pleasures, for me Street Fighter (1994), and a joy to watch rather than feeling nothing but depression.

Edited by Electro Pipe

Live action adaptations of cartoons (example: The Flintstones) or videogames (example: Super Mario Bros.) are usually not that good.

There are some exceptions, but I doubt a live-action Sonic would be one of them.

I'd watch it....I doubt it'd ever stand a chance at being a good film...but I'd watch it...

..that said I actually love the Mario movie so if it fell into that, "so bad it's good" camp I'd be happy.

I'd watch it....I doubt it'd ever stand a chance at being a good film...but I'd watch it...

..that said I actually love the Mario movie so if it fell into that, "so bad it's good" camp I'd be happy.

If the film did turn out like that, then so be it. I would watch it too. I'd take a campy cheese fest film like the Super Mario Bros. Movie or Street Fighter (1994) rather than overly dark, brooding and pretentious film anyday.

I was reminded of this when I saw this topic...

sonicmovie.jpg

I'm not the only one who would want to see this movie right? XP

But yeah, the last attempt we saw at a movie which put Sonic in the real world was that fan movie shown above and...uhh, it was full of fan service pandering and mediocrity. Not to mention the HIDEOUS sight of Sonic himself. I mean, look at this thing!

Sonic-Live-Action-Film-428x286.jpg

It's the mouth that puts me off the most, not the fur. I actually think Sonic looks cute with some fur texture (don't go overboard though!) but the mouth is just horrible. So no, a Sonic live action movie would not work at all! It would probably be as bad as that Sonic fan movie and any of those other live action movies based on cartoons like Alvin and the Chipmunks and *shudder* The Smurfs.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was reminded of this when I saw this topic...sonicmovie.jpg

I'm not the only one who would want to see this movie right? XP

But yeah, the last attempt we saw at a movie which put Sonic in the real world was that fan movie shown above and...uhh, it was full of fan service pandering and mediocrity. Not to mention the HIDEOUS sight of Sonic himself. I mean, look at this thing!Sonic-Live-Action-Film-428x286.jpg

It's the mouth that puts me off the most, not the fur. I actually think Sonic looks cute with some fur texture (don't go overboard though!) but the mouth is just horrible. So no, a Sonic live action movie would not work at all! It would probably be as bad as that Sonic fan movie and any of those other live action movies based on cartoons like Alvin and the Chipmunks and *shudder* The Smurfs.

Oh God, yes that image! XD I was just about to show the Keanu Reeves and Danny Devito one. Yeah, if that movie was just campy cheese galore, then I'd totally watch it!

Yeah... that Sonic fan film was uh... bad. Really bad. The Sonic model doesn't help either.

Edited by Electro Pipe
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic short isn't bad because it's mostly live-action. It's bad because everything about it is just kinda bad, minus the effort that went into seeing it through to the end by a fan group. It would suck if it was animated.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, I find the whole idea of a live-action Sonic movie perversely fascinating.  It'd be a trainwreck, but it'd be a funny trainwreck.  Actually, I think it'd probably be a lot like Sonic '06 - I mean the plot, not just the reception!  '06 had a more realistic redesign of Eggman, and it had a human co-star front and centre, and a live-action Sonic movie would surely have both of those things.

I really think '06 was meant to be like a movie blockbuster.  The fate of '06 should be a warning never to let it happen.

The Sonic short isn't bad because it's mostly live-action. It's bad because everything about it is just kinda bad, minus the effort that went into seeing it through to the end by a fan group. It would suck if it was animated.

Exactly. The CGI wasn't the only thing that was wrong about the Sonic fan film. In fact I think the E-100 robots were the only effects that didn't look TOO bad. The writing, bombastic soundtrack, acting and all those internet celebrities made it a mess, not to mention cringeworthy. Sometimes I wonder if the movie was actually meant to be funny in the first place, you know, not to be taken seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. The CGI wasn't the only thing that was wrong about the Sonic fan film. In fact I think the E-100 robots were the only effects that didn't look TOO bad. The writing, bombastic soundtrack, acting and all those internet celebrities made it a mess, not to mention cringeworthy. Sometimes I wonder if the movie was actually meant to be funny in the first place, you know, not to be taken seriously.

You mean like a "so bad, it's good" kind of film? If that's what they were going with... I don't think they pulled it off successfully. Although, that's not to say the film was complete disaster. I think other people do manage to find some enjoyment and got a guilty pleasure out of it. I still don't like that Sonic model though... :(

You're right, all of the things you mentioned there were what really bogged this fan film down considerably and not so much of the CG models themselves. It's that kind of junk that can easily ruin a potentially decent film. A fan film no less.