Awoo.

MST3K Returns! Sorta...Kinda......

AdventChild

Not actually/exactly the return of MST3K, but the gang is back on television with a 'Rifftrax' show on April 1st (and no, it's not an April Fools Day joke by any means!) with three episodes ready air.

But on what channel you may ask? Back on the Sci-Fi Channel (or Sy-Fy :B )? Comedy Central?

Try the National Geographic Channel (Yeah, I went WTF on this too.)

http://splitsider.com/2014/03/mst3k-gang-will-return-to-television-with-a-rifftrax-show-on-the-national-geographic-channel/

The Mystery Science Theater 3000 gang is making a return to television but probably not on the channel you're expecting. According to Zap2it, Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett are turning their online audio track series RiffTrax into a TV show of the same name for National Geographic, with three episodes set to air April 1st. MST3K was canceled by Syfy in 1999, but RiffTrax has since gained an internet following for releasing ready-made MST3K-style audio tracks for fans to listen to while watching the movies. While there's no word specifically on what the crew will watch in the reboot, they're reportedly "expected to riff on some form of television programming." What that means in terms of National Geographic we'll find out on April Fool's Day.

Here's also a clip to give you a (somewhat nasty) taste of what's to come! (WARNING: Graphic content)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_Jq2leTDQ

I thought it was pretty funny, but agreed about that tidbit about Paps. You can say my reaction to that is the Flame King's statement at 0:23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApGBY4IWluo

Anyways, I'm pretty excited for it since I'm a bit of a MST3K fan, but only just recently like a couple years back and only watched some episodes on Youtube. Even though from the looks of things that they'll most likely be riffing/making fun of nature documentaries than classic schlock/bad films and shorts, if this means more of the MST3K gang coming back to TV with all the witty jokes then I'm all for it. Also, fortunately for me I have DirecTV and have NatGeo! 

So your thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 2

Will this be on in the UK as well? Might check it out.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that it's not MST3k that made a return. While Rifftrax's sense of humor is definitely as funny as MST3k's, part of the charm of the latter show was the three main characters sitting at the bottom of the screen. It just doesn't feel the same without them, you know?

Despite that, I'm glad it's on TV, even if it is a random choice for a channel. Also, I do love the MST3k and Rifftrax episodes where they make fun of documentaries. I may have to set my DVR to record this in a little bit. 

I absolutely love MST3K, and while Rifftrax isn't exactly an equivalent, it's still a nice substitute.  I'm glad it's being brought to TV.  The choice of station perplexes me, though.

<3 <3 <3 MST3K! However I've never really used Rifftrax (you download it and play it over your DVD file, right?). I'll see if I can catch this on the Interwebs somehow! :D

I love Rifftrax, but really wish they did MST3K again instead. It's still good enough though.

Just a quick reminder to tune in on National Geographic Channel (if you have it) at 8pm tonight for Total Riff Off!

Oh crap, thanks for the heads up, I almost forgot it was on tonight. Looks like they're making fun of a Cryptozoology documentary. 

This is gonna be good.

If anyone gets The National Geographic Channel, it's currently airing RiffTrax on top of some shows. It's not quite MST3K, but it's some hilarious stuff and I would love to see it comes to places like Netflix and other TV programming.

• 2 years later...