Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Favourite bit of Sonic news, hmmm...

Yeah I'm gonna go typical and say this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_m0kUM5LY

It's just perfect how Classic Sonic popped out of nowhere, creating some of the most amazing reactions ever. 

"OH MY FUCKING GOD DID I JUST SEE THAT AM I SEEING THINGS IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING"

The very first gameplay footage of Generations. Man, I was hyped beyond belief. Classic Sonic was back. That glorious recreation of the iconic Green Hill Zone. The Unleashed/Colours gameplay style being used for previous levels in the series. It was all perfect.

The entire hype train for Generations is definitely one of my best highlights of this series.

Question #26: What Sonic-related news/spoilers/etc was it that really made you happy?

You can say Brawl...you can say Generations...but there's one moment that really made me happy with glee, all the while being within the midst of it all at the time. That was...

The Sonic Boom announcement.

Oh yeah; never before have I been on this forum and just feel the overwhelming positive emotion while I waited, second by second, on every new trickle of information that was revealed about this new branch of the Sonic franchise. The game especially; it just screamed everything that I love in an platformer and then some. It genuinely made me happy and optimistically cautious about this brave new endeavor SEGA is setting out to do. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This one's easy.

It'd be the Sonic Boom 2012 announcement on February 2nd of that year.

I had assumed that Sonic Boom was going to be a one-time thing and was bummed I had missed it, but I moved on. Then they announced it a second time. I bounced off the walls, grabbed my best friend and told him to get time off; I didn't care if he had to resign his position to do it. I was bleeping going.

Because of that day, I now look forward to February 2nd each year, even though common sense tells me it's nothing special. And as has been mentioned, it was Boom 2012 that made me the event enthusiast I'm infamous for being.

Second place would go to the Sonic Boom cartoon/game announcement earlier this year. For the first time in... well, forever, I was genuinely excited about Sonic. The more I found out about each, the more SEGA got an "All of my yes" reaction out of me.

The fact the forums were exploding with activity that day just made it twice as fun.

Day 26: Favourite news peice.

Hate me SSMB, there is one bit of Sonic news that got me super excited back in the day. It was when I first saw a magazine with a Dvd trailer of Shadow the Hedgehog on it. I was in shock. My favourite character getting his own game? A dark story like my fave SA2? Choosing Good or Evil? Chaos Powers? I was super hyped. After that, every trailer fueled my excitement more until I saw a Trailer in a Cinema. I was over hyped XD

Question #26: What Sonic-related news/spoilers/etc was it that really made you happy?

There's a few.

In no particular order.

1: Sonic Unleashed Trailer leak. Aka: The day I caused the SSMB to crash for about 20min.

Ok... this was a strange day. It was a Sunday, and there had been a huge asset leak at Sega, A random site had posted a bunch of images from a game called Sonic Unleashed, and it looked kinda awesome.

However the topic exploded. 

No really.... you need to understand, this game came after Sonic 06 and Secret Rings, Sonic wasn't doing too well.

Anyway the topic exploded to well over 60 pages in the space of an hour or two, it was crazy. So much so the staff banned discussion on it until people had cooled down.

There was one exception "Or if something significant comes to life."

Then it happened. I was just browsing the internet and found the trailer on-line, just sitting on a random youtube page. 

Quickly I posted it on SSMB and it had this title "Sonic Unleashed trailer Leaked!"

The body of the post was just, "I know the staff have just banned discussion on this but I think this qualifies as being significant!" 

About 1 min after I pushed submit, SSMB reacted to the topic... and the site crashed. 

My PM inbox exploded with requests for people to send them a copy of the video and others demanding to know how I'd got it... it was wonderful.

2: Any news that we 'knew' was coming and everybody was online to see.

Ok here's an example. &

Those are topics when all we basically knew for certain was a date... everything else was either speculation or very very tentative information... yet... just look at it. The build up, the hype and amazingly... it all paid off!

I love news like that, the ones where the hype train actually arrived on time.

However... this is probably the news which made me the most happy however I wasn't allowed to tell people the details, and to this date I still havn't.

3: Sumo Digital ask for help on ASRT...

Yeah, Sumo Digital were looking for balancing team members, so I applied and... they picked me. I had to go to an interview, I met one of the producers (wasn't S0L), and they then asked me to join them for a while... so I did.

Yup I met S0L and Rex at their place of work, as well as a bunch of other guys and for a few weeks I helped to test/contribute to ASRT, and it was great, though make no mistake, it was work, but I loved it.

I've never told anyone about the details/things I saw when I was there since technically I'm still under an NDA (I think) and since ASRT is still being supported, probably not a good idea to go blabbing, mainly due to the working practices stuff which is a big no no, though probably shouldn't blabber about cut content and the like since the game is still being supported.

Anyway, for me this news made me the most happy, especially when I beat the game and saw my name in the credits, it was like the most amazing end to a wonderful experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favourite bit of Sonic news.

Its definitely this:

On that April 7th I heard the news that a new Sonic game was announced, but I was at school. The second I got home I rushed to my computer and saw the trailer. I got so excited watching Sonic run through a frozen Green Hill zone, and then all of a sudden CLASSIC SONIC! I seriously freaked out when he popped up and I couldn't stop thinking about it for the rest of the day.

Anyone remember this?

EGMSA1Cover.jpg

I remember seeing this in the magazine section and buying it. I don't remember but I think this was my first glimpse of the Dreamcast Era Modern Sonic and Sonic Adventure.

There were also some Nintendo Power Issues that had some info on Sonic. They also had some sweet posters.

71XZ138dSWL._SL500_SX258_BO1,204,203,200

sonic011208.jpg

2690203136_a5bd7cb0b0.jpg

np256.jpg

np-268.jpg

….I miss Nintendo Power sad.png…..is Nintendo Force any good?

sonic137.jpg

So starting with Sonic 137, they started making the Covers of the books using the art styles of the game box arts. This led to some cool and interesting covers.

sonic148.jpgstha3.jpg

20110819055743!SonicSelect4.jpgsonicarchives5.jpg

Even today, looking at new covers of upcoming issues is fun and exciting….if the cover is good.

http://youtu.be/zpTlg-TSQRc

So it was a October day in High School, and I was visiting the Super Smash Bros Website….only to find a surprise on the screen.

"YES!"

I had surprised some people because they didn't know what I was going on about…BUT I DIDN'T CARE.

I also had the same reaction when Sonic was announced for the Wii-U and 3DS Version of the upcoming game.

I couldn't find it but I remember when they first showed a teaser for Sonic X on the FOXBOX and I was like "FINALLY".

Oh, yeah also EVERY SONIC GENERATIONS TRAILER. Also, the Sonic Lost World Trailers as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 26: What Sonic-related news has made your day in the past?

Considering I haven't been in the fanbase for a while, and that Generations' nostalgia pandering had no effect on me, I'm going to have to go with the reveal that Sonic Lost World wouldn't be using the boost gameplay. Considering the fact that Sonic Adventure's Sonic gameplay was and is still my ideal gameplay for the series, and that this news basically confirmed that it would be more similar to it's gameplay rather than the boost era's car physics, I couldn't be happier with this announcement. It really made me hype up for this game, and while it might not have delivered in some areas, it really payed off in the gameplay department. Easily the best news I've heard as a Sonic fan.

Day 26: Complete

Day 26: Happy News/Spoiler/Etc.!

That bit when Classic Sonic appeared in the first Sonic Generations footage. Up until that point, due to leaks if I remember correct, we knew the game was going to involve exploring past levels, and the teaser had Green Hill (albeit with a noticeable lack of colour outside of the path he was running), so at first it was like, well, alright, cool.

Then, it happened.

93868724b35df96a338ebb7c22da9ac6.png

My reaction can only be summed up by a certain Doctor...no not the Sonic one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7XAkrTDUTc

The hype for Generations was incredible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 26: favorite bit of news

Hmmm, not the craziest things, but I'll go for the full sonic boom game announcement. For the first several months since ths show announcement we had all been waiting in dread for the reveal, and when we finaly did we not only got the designs, BUT we got news that there was also going to be a brand new game and it was by a little known studio made by people who had worked on some of the greatest platformers of the past decade. So ya that's it

26/30 days complete

Day 26: Favourite news/spoiler reveal?

Several spring to mind for me.

1. Sonic in Brawl - I squealed and jumped up and down when I seen Sonic smash Mario out of the way and that familiar tune kicked in... Live & Learn, that was the hypest 1 minute of footage I've ever seen, and what a way to end it with a preview of Super Sonic's face eeee!

2. Sonic Unleashed footage trailer accompanied by Bowling For Soup's "Endless Possibilities" - Again when I seen footage of Unleashed in the early stages I freaked out, especially in the ending section of the video where the footage splits up into loads of tiny little screens showcasing all the levels in bite sized chunks, it was too much to take in, I couldn't deal with it..!

3. Sonic 06 TGS website trailer - I'm not kidding about this, I stalked Sonic 2006's website daily, constantly hitting the replay button on the trailer to hear that sweet "His World" guitar riff before it got it's vocals, it was incredible seeing Sonic in Next gen graphics and holy shit did it look good and did that trailer hype me beyond words fffffffff.... Like the first time I seen Sonic move that fast in a game, fast enough to run on a waterfall, SIDE WAYS just blew my mind, I also watched it to try and work out who this "white hedgehog" was and tried drawing him by freezing the trailer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCc32P672_0 

4. Sonic Lost World Initial reveal - Unfortunately I absolutely creamed myself in excitement at this games announcement, Super Mario Galaxy is an incredible game and I've never played anything like it, so imagine my surprise when Sonic would be taking a chapter out of Mario's book and jump into planetoids and kooky level design, I think most of you know how highly I hyped Lost World...*sigh*

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic-related news that got me excited? Oh-ho-ho-ho! This one's easy peasy! There I was, randomly scouring one of my favorite Power Rangers forums back in 2007 when THIS image was posted in the Sonic thread:

3091x89.jpg

When I saw that, I was like "Whaaaaa-??" and thought it was some kind of promotion that Sega and Nintendo were collaborating together for tied to the Olympics or something. Then I found out it was an actual game. AN ACTUAL GAME WITH BOTH SONIC AND MARIO IN IT. TOGETHER. ON THE SAME SCREEN. Then, THIS trailer released:

My mind was BLOWN. Two of my absolute FAVORITE video game characters TOGETHER in one game! Sure, it was only a sports spin-off, but I COULD FINALLY SEE EGGMAN RACING BOWSER. THAT was a pretty big deal at the time and I couldn't have been happier with any one announcement...but of course, then I thought about the possibilities...if Sonic and Mario were FINALLY able to bridge this gap in a sports game...would they be up for a more smashing competition?

That made me pass out in excitement. Sonic in Smash Bros! FINALLY! The old hoax given truth! Super Sonic, Live and Learn, Jason Griffith, the works! ALL IN SMASH BROS! This escalated my Brawl hype to supernova levels and to this day, no other video game trailer has made me as excited since. It's hilarious to think that these days, Sonic and Mario teaming up is a SUPER normal thing. They're best buddies and have teamed up on MULTIPLE occasions! I've still yet to play their most recent game together and I've owned it since Christmas! From their legendary console war feud to their unlikely compromise to their best friendship, it's been quite a journey and I'm so happy that they've stuck together ever since. In both Smash Bros AND their own series! We live in a great time, indeed. I can't think of anything they could do to to-

311onrr.jpg

2ilhclx.jpg

*Heart bursts* *Passes out*

*Rises up*

But THAT is for another time. *Falls back down*

• Thumbs Up 8

Ok... this was a strange day. It was a Sunday, and there had been a huge asset leak at Sega, A random site had posted a bunch of images from a game called Sonic Unleashed, and it looked kinda awesome.

However the topic exploded. 

No really.... you need to understand, this game came after Sonic 06 and Secret Rings, Sonic wasn't doing too well.

Anyway the topic exploded to well over 60 pages in the space of an hour or two, it was crazy. So much so the staff banned discussion on it until people had cooled down.

Wow, even Sonic Boom didn't get that extreme during the reveal.

It is beautiful when news causes the servers to overload, though.

2: Any news that we 'knew' was coming and everybody was online to see.

One day I'm going to develop ESP powers so I can read your mind. Being a non-insider sucks. tongue.png

For me, it was this:

sonic.jpg

Holy fucking shit. I wanted Sonic in Smash for the longest time. I never really ended up playing him that much, but this was so amazing. I don't know how many times I must have watched this trailer. Pretty much any Sonic and Smash Bros related news gets me giddy but you know with this one they were making a shit ton of dreams come true. A couple of gaming sites I used to visit pretty much went down due to traffic and discussions. At first I had read about a summary of the presentation it was revealed in, and then I went to the Dojo site and kept mashing F5. I had to see it for myself to believe it. 

I also really liked the first trailer for Sonic Unleashed. They picked one of the better stages to show off, and the music was fantastic. 

Day 26: Favorite Sonic News

sonic_071010d-l.jpgsonic_071225b-l.jpg

I don't know how to express how much of a big deal this was.

Sonic was a popular request for Smash Bros, especially after Snake was announced and everyone knew that third party characters were possible. I heard rumors that Nintendo was apparently going to contact SEGA about it, but I didn't really believe them at the time. When the trailer finally hit I must have watched it 10 times in one night. Smash Bros is one of my favorite series of all time, and Sonic is one of my favorite characters, so this was like a dream come true.

Everyone who plays Smash has their own personal wishlist of videogame heroes and villains that they want turned into fighters. Even someone relatively obscure like the Ice Climbers or Pit, or Marth (in the West) are going to have tons of fans who will remember them just for their Smash Bros appearance. In the case of the latter two, it breathed new life into their franchises. This stuff gets so hyped that whenever a new character is announced, it's a big thing. 

Sonic joined an all-star cast in Brawl, and it was welcome news too, after the series' recent reputation.

blogentry-29-0-41579200-1380668040.jpg

He's looking like he might be a regular now.

Obviously it's not gonna have the same impact twice, but I really do think he fits right in, and I hope he stays. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 26: Favorite Sonic News?

I'm gonna be that Nintendo fan and say both of Sonic's Smash reveals.

main.png

Lookit this dungas. He knows he's lucky to be a part of one of my favoritest fighting series ever, and boy was I glad to have him. I'm pretty sure everyone else has already spoken as far as how excitable everybody got following his Brawl announcement, but the Smash 4 announcement is one I consider just as important. Not only did Sonic fit in like a glove, but he was welcome to stay, too. After so many years of everybody hating on the guy, here's one series that takes time to cherish him, and hopefully will continue to in the years to come. That makes me pretty darn happy, I must say.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 26:

Sonic and mega man when worlds collides announcement. Something I knew that was going to happened but it was only a matter of when since the mega man comics just started at the time and the trailer made me fanboy

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 26: My Favorite Sonic-Related News

Well, I've had many a pleasant surprise from the Blue Blur, ranging from Classic's comeback in '11 to Sonic's grand unveiling in Brawl. (And 3DS and Wii U! WOOT!

But the granddaddy of all Sonic unveils was the one that made me gasp so hard, my sister thought I was having a heart attack! (Thanks for that, Sis. Glad to know you have such faith in my health.)

231078-SonicMegaMan-Header.jpg

This was a dream come true! Two of my favorite franchises coming together for a full-length, no-holds-barred adventure! (And not at the Olympics!) I had been following both comic series for quite some time, so I knew that Flynn and his team wouldn't disappoint!

And coming in at a close second...

260px-Sonic_Boom_-_Characters.jpg

I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical when Boom was first announced, but I've grown to love the new designs! (Buff Knuckles is BEST Knuckles!)

I really have high hopes for this new series, especially since it looks to give us some things we've been wanting for years: fleshed-out personalities, more open-ended environments, and multiple playable characters!

• Thumbs Up 2

SONIC IN BRAWL

Granted, I had kind of been expecting it when I heard Brawl would have a second third party character alongside Snake. But having direct confirmation about his appearance after months of waiting for any kind of info.... damn was I excited.

SONIC GENERATIONS INITIAL TRAILER

Was I expecting Classic Sonic? Hahahaha... no. But I was hyped afterwards~

#26:

The Sonic Generations trailer featuring the remade City Escape.  My favorite level of all time was making a return and it was going to be better than ever.  Fucking Sweet!

Probably when Sonic Generations was annouced. Who expected classic sonic to come back for a main game that wasn't a Sonic 4?

Sorry if this is really short. I have not posted in this topic for a while so forgive me in this case.

Day 26: Favorite piece of Sonic-related news of whatever

I'm gonna go with SONIC GENERATIONS

the first gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV1Osnkr5Nc

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually that shaken by Classic Sonic's announcement. It was a surprise, yes, and a really good one, but this was where I lost my fifteen-year-old shit.

It rarely comes to mind, but for a long time after that first Generations trailer, we actually had no idea how this game was going to play. All we knew was that there would be Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic and that was great. When this came out and put all of the doubts to rest, it just felt...incredible. I think Classic Sonic was pretty much expected to play like his hold self, but to me, seeing Modern Sonic boosting through this amazing HD Green Hill Zone with the gameplay style I loved so much, seeing that this was how they were going to handle the anniversary celebration...in hindsight, it was pretty obvious. But seeing it for the first time...it...it made me want to cry from the sheer beauty.

Good Lord, I love this game.

Day 26: Most Exciting News

I have to give a special shout-out to Lost World's announcement, mainly since it was the first time I looked at a new Sonic game and pretty much got exactly what I wanted. Seeing Sonic Team actually introduce parkour mechanics was something I would never have expected in a million years and was literally a dream come true. While from the looks of it the execution could be expanded on, just the fact that, for once, Sonic Team actually had a good design philosophy restored just a little faith in them and made me believe they knew what they were doing.

• Thumbs Up 1