Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Favourite Sonic announcement.

I'll have to say, I was pretty hyped when they announced Sonic Colours, from the get-go the game looked gorgeous, and a bit corny but it turned out to be quite better after all, specially loved the E3 demos, Tropical Resort to this day is still one of the best zones from Sonic's history for me. 

Plus Reach for the Stars was catchy.

ish.

Okay, time to get back into this...

I guess my favorite piece of news would be the Sonic Boom announcement from three months ago. It made me so happy to see a game that looks like it's finally giving us what we want, even if it's set in a different universe.

DAY 16 OF PRESIDENT CROW READING DA NEWSPAPER!

This is more recent but its the most excitement I've had for Sonic in a long while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_A3e2bl334

Sonic Boom's announcement!

I guess this game really stirred up the fanbase but I'm not one to care about that. When I saw the trailers for Boom and got everyone's designs, I was immediately excited for it. We get to see some of the show, which should be the thing I linked to and I love it. It has Sonic's sense of speed and all of a sudden I found myself laughing. While neither the game or the show are out obviously, I'm still excited for Boom. I really hope it succeeds and I hope we come to enjoy it for what it is. So UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 2

Day #26: What Sonic-related news/spoilers/etc was it that really made you happy?

...Definitely Sonic Colors.

I got into the Sonic series around April 2009...which I believe was the month after the release of Black Knight--which meant I'd have to wait another year for the next Sonic game to be announced. I'd never really been hyped for anything before, and I never went on the internet much, so the next Sonic game's announcement took me by surprise. I can't quite remember if I watched the announcement trailer on TSS main page or saw Sonic Colors featured on the cover of a Nintendo Power magazine first, but I was nonetheless excited when I heard the news. And luckily, all that built-up hype paid off when Sonic Colors turned out to be a great game. (Although I owned the DS version instead of the Wii version, I still had tons of fun with it. Even if the missions were a bit frustrating.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome back Crusher. Good to know you're fit as a fiddle once again!

So let's see... The piece of news that made me happiest...

I'm gonna be parroting a lot of people here, but I guess Sonic showing up in Brawl was a major moment for me. I recall being in college with a bunch of my friends at the time, crowding round a computer to get a look at the trailer.

That feeling of 'oh my god' isn't one that I get very often anymore, so I treasure that particular instance.

Honourable mention goes to the Sonic Boom announcement, as that- even if only temporarily- got me pretty hyped.

Day 26 Challenge: Sonic-related news/spoilers/etc. that made you happy

25/30 Challenges Completed

Well, first and foremost, It's good to have you back, Dr. Crusher! 

I hope you're feeling much better than before! Also glad to know that the 30 Days of Sonic has begun once more! 

Now, for my answer for Day 26... 

Sonic-Generations-teaser.png

Rumor going around is that Mysterion lost control of himself...
...Those rumors (that I randomly just made up) were actually correct!

Goodness gracious, this was quite a surprise. I just got back into the Sonic series through Sonic Colors, and then bam! I started reading news on TSSZ about how there is a rumor that the 20th Anniversary game will have remakes of old levels up to Sonic Adventure 2 and whatnot. I didn't know if the rumors were true or not, but I was loving what I was reading. I was anticipating SEGA announcing the newest Sonic game after reading all these rumors and then that fateful day came when this teaser was uploaded to their Facebook page...

http://youtu.be/xk5bdIL9-Qc

I ended up screaming, jumping out of my chair and kicking it behind me, and was crying while standing up. Well, I did all that the moment Classic Sonic appeared in the air with Modern Sonic. Still, it was all just glorious. I can be quite a dramatic person when good news come in, and I think it perfectly showed because of this teaser. I watched this teaser over and over, watched when the video hit Youtube and saw comments saying "Like this if you think Classic Sonic was faster than Modern Sonic!", and even showed my mom to show her why I was so HYPED. (Yes, that word must be capitalized all the time!) 

classic-sonic-gen.jpg

Like, how could I not be HYPED?! It was old and new comes together, and we was even getting some of the best levels in the main games get a HD remake! That teaser was glorious and just wow. Classic Sonic was back! Nothing against Modern Sonic, but for goodness sake, it was Classic Sonic! SEGA really did make sure that they gave Sonic fans a big treat when it came to celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Sonic The Hedgehog. 

sonicgenerations_0b.jpg

I love Sonic Generations and I love Classic Sonic!

26/30 Challenges Completed

• Thumbs Up 7

Question #26: What Sonic-related news/spoilers/etc was it that really made you happy?

Ah, so you wanna know my all-time favorite Sonic reveals, huh? Okay, for the sake of brevity, I’ll just list my top 5 favorites as well as some other moments related to them.

5) The Past and the Present Unite! Sonic Generations Teaser

Speaking as a guy who was already in love with Sonic Colors, before this trailer, I always wondered how they were gonna top it. I mean, as far as I was concerned at the time, the “HD” consoles only had one all-around good Sonic game with Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing while the Wii were a bona fide haven of them, so I couldn’t help but think if the so-called “superior” consoles will ever get a good mainline Sonic game. 

So, when I first saw this trailer, I was like “Oh, okay. Sonic’s going through Green Hill--not something that I haven’t seen before. Why are some part of the landscape all greyed out, though...” Halfway into the trailer, when Sonic was going through the shuttle loop, I was about to close the video tab, already kinda bored to tears with the vagueness of the whole thing, but… bam! Sonic’s classic self appeared alongside his present self from out of nowhere! That not only immediately ended that boredom, but also left wanting to know more about the game. In fact, my interest in the game was ultimately why I finally got up the nerve to become an SSMBer again.

Related: Sonic X Issue #25, where the final robotic Sonic clone was actually Classic Sonic.

4) Nintendo vs. Sega Is On Again! Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Teaser Image

SonicAndMario.jpg

Before this image was leaked, I was wondering if there will ever be a game where Mario and Sonic are both in together. The whole hubbub with Solid Snake (of Metal Gear fame) actually being a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, coupled with the dev team looking into having other third-party characters in it, just left me with even more hope of this being a thing. Of course, after Sonic ‘06 came and flopped, I was left with mixed feelings about this; with the rotted reception still as clear as day at the time, I couldn’t help but wonder if it will ever happen, considering that Sonic had to have been seen as poison to folks...

At first, I was actually somewhat skeptical with the leaked image--considering that it was first found near April Fools Day, I thought it was just part of some mean prank making fun of the Brawl hype and Sonic’s recent failings. Once it was confirmed as being legit, however, I immediately squeed. I mean, two of my all time favorite video game series, in a game together?! That was practically bread and butter to me! In fact, I was even more hyped with this than with Sonic’s ultimate Brawl reveal: as awesome as that was, not only did it have a precedent with Snake’s earlier reveal, but this image has already proven that a Sonic/Nintendo crossover was, indeed, feasible!

Related: Sonic’s Brawl reveal, for reasons already given in this thread about a bajillion times.

3) When Worlds Collide! The Sonic/Megaman Crossover Event

PanelComiconSanDiego.jpg

While I’ve always been an openly huge Sonic fan, I’ve also been a moderate Mega Man fan as well, with a slight preference for the Classic, X and Battle Network games. What I was also a big fan of was a webcomic from several years back called Two Evil Scientists, a Sonic/Mega Man crossover where Drs. Eggman and Wily team up and all the hijinks that ensued. It was this very webcomic that left me, again, wondering if there will ever be an official crossover of the Blue Guys. Of course, come July 2012, when this artwork of Sonic and Mega shaking hands a la the Wily Wars promo from a few years back was revealed, I was left quite ecstatic! I mean, I was a little bummed at the time that it wasn’t a video game, but still, an official crossover between the two Blue Guys was actually going to be a thing! I could practically do a jig in my underpants with this news! 

Related: The reveals of Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS having both the Blue Guys as playables, because of the whole “actually being able to have them team up in a video game together, along with Mario” thing.

2) Sonic… Defeated?! Archie’s Sonic the Hedgehog: Issue #175’s Cover Reveal

Sth175.jpg

I’ll just cut to the chase with this one. When I first saw this, I was equally shocked and intrigued. I mean, on the one hand, seeing Sonic actually get thoroughly defeated like this was so jarring, it’s crazy. On the other hand, I couldn’t help but smile at Eggman actually getting a victory for once--after suffering some rather clear losses for a few comics prior, it was kinda nice to see such a change of pace. Once I read through the issue itself, I was left even more elated: Eggman and Snively beating everyone so easily; seeing Sonic get his Berserk Button smashed and pushed to his breaking point; Eggman delivering his “Reason You Suck” speech at Sonic after tanking his Limit Break! It was all quite a sight to behold for me! It was this particular issue that got me hooked on the comics again, in fact--a testament of Ian Flynn being a vastly superior writer for the comics over his predecessors.

Related: Archie’s Sonic the Hedgehog: Issue #200, where Sonic actually returns the favor from #175 and delivers HIS “Reason You Suck” speech while trouncing Eggman’s Tarantula mech.

1) Sonic Returns To Form! Sonic Unleashed Trailer #1 Reveal

With all the hubbub over Sonic ‘06 failing royally and all the hate and snark that ensued, I couldn’t help but wonder if Sonic will ever get any love again. I mean, there were the aforementioned Mario & Sonic  and Sonic in Brawl reveals, but they were ultimately spinoffs and even they were greeted with the residual detractor wiseassery from Sonic ‘06’s nonsense.  With a waning interest in the main series, I just wanted to see Sonic get some love in those games again after he was essentially made a monkey out of in both of the latest main titles at the time.

Although a incomplete version of this trailer was leaked a few weeks before its official reveal, I actually waited until said reveal to watch it. To say that I was left extremely hyped for Sonic Unleashed would be one heck of an understatement. Seriously, just LOOK at it! Instead of Sonic being some slow walker like every other platformer ever, he was actually living up to his semi-official title of the “Fastest Thing Alive”! Gone were the bland and overly realistic visuals, replaced with a gorgeous, fantastical art style that actually looked fitting for the Sonic series at large! Everything actually looked distinct again, with Sonic going through a massive African clay building and forest as well as a series of Greek seaside villages, all to the tune of what sounded like a remix of Sonic 1 Game Gear’s ending theme! What ultimately sold me, though, was definitely the game being showcased--instead of the overly varied mess from its immediate main predecessor, it was a more focused, speed-centric take on the typical Sonic gameplay, blending the 3D areas with Rush-styled sidescrolling section that actually looked completely fluid!

I wouldn’t be lying if I said it was this trailer that made me love the main Sonic games again!

Related: The leaked reveal of Eggmanland near the game’s release date, by virtue of being the stage that I’ve been waiting the entirety of my being a Sonic fan to actually be a thing.
  • Thumbs Up 8

[ Day 26 : Happy Happy Joy Joy Sonic News ]

This is going to be a tough decision and an impossible one to single out, because Sonic news in general tends to make me happy.  For the sake of keeping things positive, I'm going to exclude news that made me hyped but disappointed me upon seeing the final product.  Also, I'm going to keep it fairly recent since I don't remember the exact emotions I felt ten to fifteen years ago.  So I won't go into great detail about the announcement of Sonic Adventure 2.

I think the first thing that comes to mind is the announcement of Sonic in Brawl.  I was missing him dearly in Melee to the point where I would use Falco and Fox as substitutes in my bored moments.  While I'm still disappointed that as of yet Sonic remains the only character from his series that is playable (I've not been keeping up with Smash 4 news so I may be wrong at this point), I still simply adore the fact that he's been included regardless.  It's surreal, but not unwelcome, to see Sonic alongside Mario and other Nintendo classics. X3

Though I've yet to read it, the announcement of a Sonic and Mega Man comic crossover also made me ecstatic.  I need to get onto that ASAP.

More recently, I've been quite excited for Sonic Boom, as each announcement I've seen only seems to make the show look better.  The CGI looks pretty impressive (depending on what angle the characters at) and while Knuckles' design still baffles me, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it once did.  I can't wait for the game also!  I hope I can get a Wii U before the release!  Price drop, pleeeeease!

• Thumbs Up 1

First off, it's nice to see you back and well recovered, Dr Crusher. As I said, there's no need to be sorry about something unexpected like being sick and feeling better was the priority. Welcome back! =)

Day 26: Favourite Sonic-related News

Being up to date with the series is an important factor if you want to know what's cooking up behind the scenes of an upcoming and/or current game or in any of the representations of the Blue Blur across the media. Sometimes some news can create such an impact in the fandom even to the point of these being memorable. To me, if there's one particular Sonic-related announcement that created such a big impact it's definitely going to be...

Super_Smash_Bros_Sonic_01.jpg

Sonic Joins The Brawl!

In retrospective, it was a rough time being a Sonic fan during the dark ages of the franchise right after the release of Shadow The Hedgehog and especially Sonic '06; while we had a few nice entries like Sonic Rush or Sonic & The Secret Rings, a lot of damage was done to the reputation of the Blue Blur due to the aforementioned two entries in the main series. I didn't feel as excited as I used to be whenever something Sonic-related was announced back then. 

Then in October 2007, this tremendous bombshell was dropped. The announcement of Sonic The Hedgehog being a playable character in one of the most hyped games at the time, Super Smash Bros Brawl. An unexpected announcement, to say the least. Much like with last year's announcement of Mega Man for Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U, Sonic The Hedgehog joining the brawl six and a half years ago gave me a major fangasm, such reaction that I didn't experience even with the announcements of his own games. It's considered an honour and a total sense of recognition to the franchise when a character joins the roster of a Super Smash Bros game, and in the case of Sonic The Hedgehog it was undoubtedly worthy. =)

Let alone the fact that fighting against his past arch-rival Mario was something I was looking forward to experience even during the Nintendo vs Sega days; while Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games series was nice and all, to me the real deal is when both characters brawl for victory in one of the craziest fighting games on the video gaming scene. A legendary match-up that came true thanks to the work of Nintendo and Sega themselves (even though it was Nintendo for the most part, actually).

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 26:

Hmmm, the reveals of Sonic Boom, Lost World, Generations, Colors, Unleashed, the 06 hyping phase, and the Shadow the Hedgehog game come to mind for moi!

But Sonic Boom, the envoy of a whole new world takes the cake so far!

Now Sonic Boom! That was a reveal! Months (that felt like agonizing years) tip-toeing about in wait of what those silhouettes had in store for us! And what did we get at the tunnel opening?

Multpile playable characters, HUZZAH!20636_sonicruncrkmo.gif

Not to mention, a great emphasis on detail to everything, story, writing, gameplay, you name it! And with that show picking up the pace as well, I can certainly say I'm ready to rumble with Sonic Boom!

Question #26: What Sonic-related news/spoilers/etc was it that really made you happy?

1. Everything Unleashed

With it being no secret that I'm a sucker for this game, it shouldn't surprise anyone that I was totally on board the hype machine, from the leaked, unfinished Savannah Citadel trailer all the way to the end with the Adabat level trailer. Website updates, in-depth interviews, the two awesome Japanese Sonic Team blogs with funny commentary and concept art, articles discussing Hedgehog Engine specifics, the Night of the Werehog short- there wasn't a thing coming out for this game that I wasn't eating up.

2. Sonic X

Anime was still the cool thing back in 2003, so it was awesome learning that Sonic would be getting the same treatment, with an art style that bore semblance to Uekawa's work and with Sonic Team being involved in the storyline. And to be fair, the first few episodes didn't disappoint either in animation or action. Sonic X looked interesting and had a lot of potential. I was hyped.

3. Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic 06

More potential-holders! I'm not going to lie and say I probably cared far less that Shadow had a gun and ability to drive than I did that Sega actually bothered to go ahead and give him his own game. I loved the character- still do- and I was also excited to get to hear David Humphrey get a vehicle to stretch his acting talents (until Sega said "lol fuck all you guys). As for Sonic 06, the very first demonstration with Sonic running through the forest amid robots trying to gun him down was awesome, mainly due to the graphical fidelity. I was also excited about the idea of Sonic in the real world and how they would interpret that, as well as the hints of the large storyline. Sonic 06 could have been soooo goooooood................................

4. Sonic Boom Reveal

This one is more of a slowburner than the others, mainly because of its timing and purpose. I'm still apprehensive to the idea that the main series absolutely could not contain the basic ideas and thematic elements that Boom exists only to showcase. But the very fact is, it is showcasing them- multiple characters, adventuring gameplay, a greater focus on lore and mystery- thus it's the first Sonic game since Unleashed that has had my full attention. Big Red Button also talks a mean game, but we'll see if I become more of a diehard as they show off more stuff inevitably at E3.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Going to have to say Generations...

At first I was like "So, Salt-plains Hill Zone? Okay, original-ish..." And then Sonic kept into the air, to be joined by... Sonic and my whole life got turned around... A smile crept up my face and just though "oh shit this is real..." And then couldn't contain myself for the next few months up to the release, and watched that trailer over and over again... Seriously great.

~SSMB Has Cleared Excitement Ebullition Act 26!~

What... They've caught up...

Question #27: Who is/are your favourite villain(s)... APART from Robotnik?

tumblr_mx7ou0h5v31rcwz3to1_500.jpg

Too slow.

There are many threats in Sonic Land, each varying in size, strength, smarts, and other things that begin with the letter S. No type of foe is too big for Sonic and chums to handle. Scientists, robots, aliens, water monsters, sun gods, aliens, genies, pirates, possibly aliens, bobcats, the list is endless.

A good majority of the sinister events that transpire throughout Sonic's universe are due to the machinations of Dr. Robotnik. However, because we all know that he's the greatest in Koridai, we're going to gush about who we think is in second-to-third-and-so-on place. Meanwhile, Robotnik will be relaxing and living the high life in... Egg Hawaii. Having an Egg Mad Dog. Smoking an Egg Marlboro or some shit.

Crusher's Thoughts: My own choice would have to be the Deadly Six.

Yes, I know they're not the most multifaceted characters around. But you know what? After seeing so many enemies who have only "I really like the colour black" to their name, I'm just happy that these guys have some kind of personality, however simplistic they may be.

Zazz - the unholy lovechild of Waluigi and Discord - appears to be the most popular one next to Zor, and I can see why. Basically, Zazz fills the role of being the mad fucknugget of the group, and he does it well. With his anorexic body, wildly-fluctuating voice, and extravagant threats involving drums and boxes, he's a pretty wacky guy, and it's easy to laugh along with him. Also, he jumps all over the place whilst laughing like a hyena, like Ripper Roo.

Zomom surprised me. I thought he was going to be the least memorable one of the group, but I was wrong (and not just because none of them are unmemorable to me). He may look and sound like your typical roid rage dimwit archetype, but if his comment on Sonic's English language misusing antics is anything to go by, perhaps he's not that dumb. Let's not forget his "Mom was right, I'm a failure!" line, which - despite never failing to make me laugh - is rather sad and unexpected for someone like him.

Master Zik makes me grin a grin as wide as his elongated facial whiskers. Essentially serving as Zavok's trusted advisor, this Yoda-Furby goon provides the main intelligence of the group aside from Zavok himself, and he also has the innate ability to make random Japanese music play in the surrounding vicinity, which I admit is a pretty cool skill. He also appears to be the least crazy one of the bunch, which is ironic since he looks like a haggered Gremlin. And he's voiced by Mr. Kirk Thornton, the man who gave us the glorious Senorita Shadow A.K.A. Meta Knight the Hedgehog A.K.A. "I am the Ultimate Antonio Banderas", so bonus points for that.

Zeena comes off to me as the one who doesn't care about what everyone else is doing. The other Zeti are really dedicated to their world destroying goals, yet Zeena would probably just hide away and continue working on her nails if she was able to. Even when fighting Sonic, she still doesn't seem that bothered, at least compared to Zavok or Zazz. Her own personal stance on Zavok's insane plans is something that interests me quite a bit, to be honest.

As I said just four paragraphs ago, next to Zazz, I reckon Zor is the most popular of the six, which is funny given how Zor is almost the exact opposite of Zazz in terms of personality. I would say that Zor is definitely the funniest member for me personally, because anything he says tends to make me chuckle, courtesy of his MySpace-worthy voice. In fact, I've made it a habit for myself to read the most troublesome YouTube comments in Zor's voice. I also find his mystery shadow powers to be intriguing, because if it's true that no other Zeti dares to use them, what does that say about him...?

Finally, the head honcho, Zavok. In hindsight, it was rather ironic (citation needed) that Zavok sounded vaguely like Mephiles, because while my viewpoints on Mephileslie are... not the most enthusiastic, Zavok is my second favourite main villain in the Sonic series, just after Robotnik himself. I really like this guy. Okay, so he looks a tad like one King Bowser Koopa, but I still think he has a cool design. But there's also his mannerisms that get me, right down to having a run that is strikingly similar to Blaze's running animation in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. Furthermore, despite having a Mephileslie-esque voice, he sounds bizarrely softspoken at times, to the point that me and my one real life friend made yet another joke in which we would keep asking him to speak up. Also, he has spiked shoulders, like Tiny Tiger.

I really enjoy the Deadly Six, and on the off chance that they were to ever appear in another, non-Sonic Dash game, I would have no problems with that... provided that nothing unfortunate happened to Robotnik, of course. This is still me we're talking about.

And now, I'll go ahead and mention some other chaps.

Despite not caring that much for the game in which he appeared in, I do like Erazor Djinn, A.K.A. Tonic Djinn, A.K.A. Qui-Gon Djinn, A.K.A. I'll Take It On the Djinn, A.K-okay fine, I'll stop. For what he had to work with, he proved to be very intelligent, and despite being incredibly bastardly, he wasn't evil for the sake of being evil. Also, yes, I like his English voice, not only because it stands out from your more typical evil voices, but also because I feel that it fits a genie, and it fits a character who became evil as opposed to being evil right from the start.

It's arguable on whether this guy counts due to him being Robotnik's (and Nega's) lackey, but I really like Captain Whisker as well. Despite having a... let's say blatant design of inspiration, I do think that Whisker has a unique personality to set him apart from Robotnik, and if Blaze's world had to have an Eggman-looking nemesis of some sort, I'd much rather it be Whisker instead of Nega. Partly because due to him being an Eggman robot himself, and due to Robotnik being a smart fellow, I imagine Robotnik would want to use Whisker as a sort of spy, to keep tabs on whatever's happening in Blaze's world when the doctor himself is too busy in his own world. But anyway, fanfiction drivel aside, Whisker is a jolly good buccaneer.

Finally, shout out to Black Doom, for providing the comedy this series was previously lacking in.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 27: Favourite non Egg villain

Everyone's least favourite villain is my favourite. Mephiles always hit a chord with me. Yes, he's an idiot. His plan sucked. Yet he had presence. When he was on screen, he stole the scene. Call me cliche but I liked that he looked like a dead version of Shadow. His voice maybe Yami's but Dan Green makes it work. Then there's the best bit. His theme. I thought its such a haunting theme, being eerie and building him up too. He maybe dumb but I'll always like Mephiles.

I'm gonna be lame and also say the Deadly Six, if only because of 1) none of the other non-Robotnik villains have really struck a chord with me, and 2) Sonic's interactions with them are gold.

Day 27: Favourite non Egg villain

Everyone's least favourite villain is my favourite. Mephiles always hit a chord with me. Yes, he's an idiot. His plan sucked. Yet he had presence. When he was on screen, he stole the scene. Call me cliche but I liked that he looked like a dead version of Shadow. His voice maybe Yami's but Dan Green makes it work. Then there's the best bit. His theme. I thought its such a haunting theme, being eerie and building him up too. He maybe dumb but I'll always like Mephiles.

Actually a lot of people really like Mephilies, including me.

The way he walks like a zombie, knows something everyone else doesn't, the overall "there's a story behind this" aspect really stands out. I think he would have been great if he were established in a good game.

Question #27: Who is/are your favourite villain(s)... APART from Robotnik?

Oooo...let's see...

Well, hmm...wow this is surprisingly a question I don't have much thought in, seeing as I never really put much time into thinking who's my favorite villain number two aside from Eggman. I'm going to admit, there are a good number of Archie Sonic villains I wish I knew more of to come up with a good post about, but I guess I can 'kinda' talk about...(and please don't look down on me for this)...

Scourge the Hedgehog, yeah yeah I know many of ya'll don't have much of a liking for this guy, but I don't know...I find him pretty good of a character as far as a villain goes. Originally Evil Sonic, this antagonistic counterpart of Sonic is ruthless, cocky and only does what's best for himself. He even managed to take over his planet through force, so yeah props for that.

The Deadly Six also counts; I feel these six were pretty alright for the game the debuted in. 

day 27: favorite non-eggman villain

Hmmm, I think I know what you all think I'm going to choose, and you're right:

Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper

Knack_4.png

don't let his somewhat round appearance fool you, despite his only 3 appearances, in the games he has proven himself to be a threat, both with his popgun and his vehicle. Technicly it could be argued wheter he is a villain or not, but I would think his direct opposition to sonic counts. We may not have a ton of info on him, but he is a fun, is kinda clumsy character, and his recurring appearances in the Archie comics have definitely made him a cult favorite as well

27/30 days complete, almost there

• Thumbs Up 1

Does Metal Sonic count?

'Cos he is awesome, especially in the OVA! I love his design and how cool and sleek he looks. And he is just as fast as Sonic too! Metal Sonic is basically just that though, an evil robot version of Sonic. I still like him though. =P

The Deadly Six are good too, even though they are all pretty one dimensional (the fat one, the emo one, the chick etc). I think they're funny, that's all.

• Thumbs Up 6

#27:

I guess it would have to be Metal Sonic

242px-Metalsoni2.png

He has most of Sonic's abilities plus his own and is extremely devoted to (really just obsessed) this goal of killing Sonic. In fact, Metal Sonic actively hates Sonic despite being built to be emotionless and only carry out the goals of his creator.  Metal is usually obediant towards Eggman but is completely capable of acting on his own (Sonic Heroes & Free Riders) and he's still bad (again Heroes).  The only time he's ever been a protagonist was in Sonic Rivals 2, where he's only helping because he was serving Eggman.

Also that cold stare of his is really intimidating. 

185px-Metal_Sonic4.2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

As an enthusiast for the comic continuities, this one's also easy.

Alternate_Enerjak.jpg

This guy right here. He may have only been in the comic for four issues (Sonic Universe 25-28; he also makes a cameo in the Scourge arc in the form of his fistspikes being in storage, implying he was arrested by the Zone Cops after his defeat), but he more than makes up with it for how menacing he is.

Taking over the world is a small achievement in the Archiverse, since Eggman did it with little issue.

5-27-11_Enerjak_Core_theif.jpg

But this guy flat out rips the souls out of those who dare oppose him. Roboticization ain't got shit on that. Eggman at least stays within the boundaries of science; Enerjak outright violates the moral as much as physical fabric of the universe. He has refined his powers in ways that not even other Chaos potent folks like Shadow and Mogul did.

Photo.png

Just when you would think it was just poor Remington who was a victim of this method... you find out he has already done the same to pretty much every hero and villain on the face of Mobius. Whether as great as Sonic, brilliant as Eggman, magical as Naugus, treacherous as Lien-Da or Snively, young and innocent as Tails... NO ONE was spared this monster's wrath.

But wait, it gets better! As if ripping souls out like packaging off your new present wasn't twisted enough....

Prelate_Horde.jpg

He turns every soul taken into a magically-powered machine called a Prelate. Destroying a Prelate does nothing, as it will just send the soul right back to Enerjak, who will revive them again with but a snap of his fingers. With roboticization, at least the victim's soul was still intact... Enerjak makes the soul itself into his weapon.

It continues to get better from there. While Silver and Lara-Su/Jani-Ca manage to use teamwork and a bit of thinking (admittedly I kind of wish Lara-Su had been a victim as well and Silver saved the day by himself but I digress) to kick this guy to the curb, Ian Flynn's now-lost epilogue indicates that Enerjak didn't even know if he could restore a person whose soul he had taken. He speculated that trying to restore a person's soul to their body could actually destroy the body and soul altogether if anything. He is, without a doubt, one of the most vile, despicable villains to ever walk the Archieverse. Not even his wife was spared the fate of those who opposed him.

To top it all off, Enerjak isn't the Dimitri character the title is associated with. It's all but confirmed that he is in fact none other than Knuckles the Echidna beneath that mask of his. A Knuckles driven mad by power and deep feelings of personal inadequacy (in the Prologue, Ian Flynn established Knuckles felt really insecure about how everyone called him dumb or didn't care about him, while he also felt a need to prove himself a hero to the world, and this led to his descent into psychoville).

What makes this even more poetic to me is that it has more or less been established that the world Enerjak hails from and the Mobius: X Years Later timelines actually diverged from the same point, since they are referred to as Dark Mobius and Light Mobius, respectively. The divergence? In Light Mobius, Super Sonic beat Knuckles after the latter killed Eggman and was able to restore him to his senses; in Dark Mobius, Super Sonic failed and the world crumbled shortly afterward. I found it very appealing that both realities spawn from an epic battle between the classic pair of rivals.

I think I covered all the bases. What I really like is that Knuckles became a villain on his own accord. While a lot of folks (even Ian Flynn) say he was just possessed by Enerjak, the prologues (also written by Mr. Flynn) seem to indicate he became evil over time on his own, and just took the name Enerjak because of its association with the powerful. I also really like that he took the despair and hopelessness of the world up to eleven; not even Eggman has caused such a bleak image of Mobius as he has.

STC100-SuperSonic.jpg

Oh yeah, this guy is the shit too. If only because I really like his creative direction and the fact he appeals to my side-switching interest. I take a great interest in the good Super Sonic from StC as well, but this is about villains, so I digress.

• Thumbs Up 6

Favorite Non-Eggman Villain:

I like Merlina as my favorite non-Eggman villain. She's not even evil, but she has legitimate reason and motivation to do what is seen as an evil act. Her reasons were pure, but the methods were not. The way she went about achieving her goal was very strategic and calculated. She easily had Sonic help her achieve her goal by the circumstance of being an innocent victim being pursued by an evil looking King Knight and his demon monster followers.

She helped Sonic find out what he needs to do in order to defeat the Evil King and then let Sonic go along his way while she waited for him to fulfill his purpose. Once she got what she wanted and revealed her true motivations causing Sonic to realize the real deal and rush up to stop her, she kicked his blue behind left right and sideways. She doesn't need Sonic anymore and if Sonic is going to try and interfere with her plans, she knows that she should immediately deal with him to show him his place compared to her. She truly showed that even those with the purest of reasons can be just as evil as anyone else in their actions.

I guess a runner up in this category is Erazor Djinn.

I like how he formed his plan to get the World Rings and get rid of Sonic. What he did to give Sonic one of the most tragic lose-lose situation can easily be called one of the most clever moves made by a villain of this series. From that one action alone he certainly deserves to be called a Magnificent Bastard.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 27: Fav Non-'botnik Villain

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Chaos_Generations.png

I think my favourite villain--well, until the end of the game anyway--is (take it away, Drunkbotnik!) "You know nothing, fool! It's CHAOS, the god of destruction!!!" Not only do I really enjoy his design and abilities, Chaos has a pretty neat backstory and motivation. Revenge and general bitterness towards the world, what's not to like? Plus I like that Chaos seemed to genuinely be alright with working with Eggman, and only really shot him down when Eggman himself pretty much gave up on the creature. That's probably reading into things too much, though.

Plus, I mean, it's a mutated Chao. One of these things:

Hero%2C_Nuetral_and_Dark_Chao_QUALITY_.p

became a being that can accurately be described as a GOD. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty amazing. And hilarious. Hilariously amazing.

Tying him into Knuckles' incredibly vague origins was an interesting move, because it somehow manages to make everything about Knuckles even more mysterious. Okay, so we finally found out what happened to the echidnas to almost wipe them out completely, and it added to the Chaos Emerald & Master Emerald mythos. But it doesn't explain why Knuckles is alone on the island, why the island is floating in the first place, why is there a carnival/casino place there--

But I digress. Chaos was one of my all time favourite antagonists in the series.

In case he doesn't count due to not necessarily being a "villain" by some definitions, I actually kind of want to say the Biolizard. Odd, and probably unpopular choice, but I've always been fond of it, as "out of nowhere" as it was. Shadow taking on his own prototype was really neat and I think was pretty interesting in the sense that Shadow was fighting his own creator's (last minute and absolutely mad) wishes. So, while it was mostly a plot device more than anything, I quite enjoyed it's role in terms of Shadow's arc. 

Runner-ups: Uh, all the baddies Crusher mentioned, actually! Deadly Six, Erazor, Whisker, they're all neat in my eyes! Johnny, too.

Favorite non-Egg-based villain, eh? HeheheheheHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

28am3iv.jpg

Ladies and gents, say hello to the Grand Battle Kukku XV, also known as THE BATTLE LORD. As the head honcho of the pretty-obscure-even-by-Sonic-standards Battle Bird Armada, this guy is a force to be reckoned with, with not only a huge force of avian assault fliers at his disposal, but also the brilliant science of Dr. Fukurokov and the swift power of his son, Speedy. But if he's got such an arsenal at his disposal, then he must be one of those big talk leaders who practically falls to pieces after he's stripped of everything, right?

2vt5lz9.jpg

ABSO-

dshf7.jpg

-LUTELY

15qrcqs.jpg

NOT!

This is what I LOVE about the Battle Lord. He's the leader of an ENTIRE armada and DUDE CAN BACK IT UP. He's a strong leader who can and prefers to take matters into his own hands if it solves a problem fast enough. His minions fear reporting bad news to him AND FOR GOOD REASON. He's got all the marks of a great villain. Looking extremely forward to whenever he resurfaces in the Archieverse.

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 27: Fav Non-'botnik Villain

Plus, I mean, it's a mutated Chao. One of these things:

Hero%2C_Nuetral_and_Dark_Chao_QUALITY_.p

became a being that can accurately be described as a GOD. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty amazing. And hilarious. Hilariously amazing.

I don't think that was ever confirmed.