Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Favorite non-Egg-based villain, eh? HeheheheheHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

28am3iv.jpg

Ladies and gents, say hello to the Grand Battle Kukku XV, also known as THE BATTLE LORD. As the head honcho of the pretty-obscure-even-by-Sonic-standards Battle Bird Armada, this guy is a force to be reckoned with, with not only a huge force of avian assault fliers at his disposal, but also the brilliant science of Dr. Fukurokov and the swift power of his son, Speedy. But if he's got such an arsenal at his disposal, then he must be one of those big talk leaders who practically falls to pieces after he's stripped of everything, right?

2vt5lz9.jpg

ABSO-

dshf7.jpg

-LUTELY

15qrcqs.jpg

NOT!

This is what I LOVE about the Battle Lord. He's the leader of an ENTIRE armada and DUDE CAN BACK IT UP. He's a strong leader who can and prefers to take matters into his own hands if it solves a problem fast enough. His minions fear reporting bad news to him AND FOR GOOD REASON. He's got all the marks of a great villain. Looking extremely forward to whenever his resurfaces in the Archieverse.

I definitely agree, I love how Flynn's depiction of him as a down and dirty leader, one who had to fight to keep his position(unlike speedy), I also cant wait for his return

Well, now I'm going to have to contradict myself. Earlier, I stated that, largely, Metal Sonic isn't a villain. So...now I'm going to say he's my favorite villain, bar Eggman.

Yeah, I know, stop going on about him, but yeah.

He matches Sonic, in most every way, and that really makes him a formidable force. His actions in Heroes, while kinda silly, DID bait Sonic and Co, and he did manage to achieve his ultimate form. Yeah, Sonic beat him in the end, but hey, that's how it always goes.

Being a one game lead villain isn't too glamorous in the Sonic series.

I say Metal Sonic for this one. I say that because he looks like he could kill Sonic instantly and he has most of Sonic's powers and his own.

I don't think that was ever confirmed.

I believe it was Sonic Channel that established it, apparently exposure to the Master Emerald did it. Even with that aside, I think it's a reasonable assumption--Chaos' head is vaguely in the same teardrop shape, for one, and the Chao's presence at the alter as well as their fondness for the ~God of Destruction~ might not have been a coincidence...

Plus, Chaos Chao are a thing.

Favorite non-Eggman villain, huh?

hmmm..

I need to think about that one. I think I know a certain someone at a local bar who would love to hear the news!

Day 27: My Favorite Non-Eggman Villain

I think I've given a certain robot enough praise for now, so I'll take this monstrosity:

200px-STC81-SuperSonic.jpg

I haven't read much of StC, but I LOVE how they portray Super Sonic! Turning a sought-after power-up into pure nightmare fuel? Genius!

Fleetway Sonic has to be the most tragic incarnation; besides being a total jerk to his friends, he has to actively avoid rings and Chaos energy- a complete contrast to the games- or else he'll become an unstoppable demon with an insatiable bloodlust!

Even stress or anger can unleash his inner demon- it kind of reminds me of Elise, only this is well-written and actually makes sense.

And oh, man, those eyes...

STC80-SuperSonic.jpg

Yeahhh, I think I'll skip out on the Emeralds next time I boot up Sonic 2. I prefer the bad ending anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Villains who don't see what they're doing is wrong, as they feel like hard choices have to be accomplished in order to accomplish their goals. It adds a shade of grey perspective and makes you feel pity in defeating them. Case in point, Merlina is definitely up there.

CorruptedMerlina.png

What I love her is that her villainous turn near the end of the game comes off as legitimately unexpected. 

When Merlina shows up in Black Knight's admittedly badass intro, she kinda comes off as a generic damsel in distress. After being apparently rescued by her savior Sonic the Hedgehog, she's about as helpful as possible, telling the Blue Blur as much information as possible to assist him on his quest, and directing him on what to do in order to take down Arthur.

However, once this is accomplished, we feel like idiots, as Sonic has been her ploy the entire game, and she's been secretly plotting to take over the realm, reshaping it into her own kingdom, giving it everlasting, eternal life. Now, this obviously comes off as unethical, to put it lightly, as she's changing things for her own apparent benefit and playing with power she doesn't understand. Sonic, being the hero he is, fights for everyone's freedom, the power to choose your own destiny and live your life to the fullest, rather than living out some never-ending fantasy ruled by just one person who could change it with the snap of her fingers if she grew powerful enough. Fortunately, she is stopped, and that's all good, but...

Merlina_25.png

Through her heart felt final conversation with Sonic at the end, where he reminds her that it's better to serve a life full of meaning and purpose in the time you have, I can't help but respect her morals and ideologies. See, Merlina suffered a lot of loss throughout her life,like her beloved Grandfather. While Sonic is able to talk her down, I can't help but scratch my head and wonder if living in a world with the power of immortality would be so bad. It's questions like that which make me ponder if Merlina was really all that bad. Maybe it's just power that corrupts the best of us sometimes, molding our goals into something uglier.

• Thumbs Up 9

Favorite not Eggman villain?

Lemme set the mood real quick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djclvyy1hrg

Yeaaaaah, you already know.

CorruptedMerlina.png

Merlina (Sonic and the Black Knight)

Starts off as the support character, but then when the quest seems to be over, she shows her true colors. Actually didn't expect this to happen at all. One of the main reasons I love Merlina: I love villains that make me think. This is exactly what she did to me. Actually...I kinda relate to her on a personal level. Her wish for an everlasting kingdom...I've had a lot of thoughts about something like that. and then during the last battle...hearing her and Sonic go back and forth about whether infinite life or letting nature progress naturally...I actually had to pause and think for a few minutes about what I just heard. Man, that was some of the deepest stuff I've heard in this series. She was totally well-written, and I adore the Storybook team for writing such amazing stuff.

Also dat final boss theme though.

Props to Merlina for actually giving me an existential crisis during a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 8

ZONE 27: Favorite NON Robotnik villain

i53r4z.jpg

RuiERXU.gif

mentalsonic Metal Sonic finally gets his day in the shade!

He's such an awesome, sleek, deathly looking villain that it's hard not to love him-

242px-Metalsoni2.png

The one villain that can outmatch Sonic's speed! He also has that copy ability that makes him a force to be reckoned with.

He's the odd villain that, while being a creation of Eggman, appears to have his own will, which is to defeat Sonic. You could argue that Eggman programmed that into him, but the fact of the matter is that it turned out to be a defining trait of his, and he took it and...

metal_overlord_by_itshelias94-d4y17v5.pn

...and transformed into a giant dragon monster thing over it. Huh.

Still awesome.

• Thumbs Up 8

Plus I like that Chaos seemed to genuinely be alright with working with Eggman, and only really shot him down when Eggman himself pretty much gave up on the creature. That's probably reading into things too much, though.

The way I see it, because of how sympathetic Chaos turns out to be, I look at Chaos' betrayal as a King Kong-type situation, as opposed to the typical "haha I'm better than you" deal with other monsters and villains. This is ultimately why I'm okay with Chaos' rebellion, not because "it was the first time".

Also, well done on giving a shout out to Johnny.

• Thumbs Up 3

Besides metal sonic (since he hasn't really been in much lately) I'm going to say the D6, a lot of people don't really like these guys for their short time on screen and the one note personalities but you know what? I actually really liked these guys when I think about it, not only were they pretty funny whenever sonic encountered one of them or just during the stages in general, they were also the only villains in the series that I felt had a presence throughout the whole story (barring eggman) and didn't let you forget their existence for more than one stage and made themselves a constant threat throughout the whole game (more so on the 3DS version than on the wii u version but, eh) so yeah, I really like these guys and I hope they return for another game at some point.

I realize this is a popular response, and I usually tweak my answers to make them more interesting to read, but I don't care in this instance. It's definitely Metal Sonic. In fact, sometimes I like him better as a villain than Eggman.

500px-Sonic_vs_metal_sonic.png

His design is what really puts his up top in my opinion. He's so damn cool looking and he's definitely the best robot Eggman has created. The fact that he's designed to be everything Sonic is and more is beyond badass, and is proof that if anything could put an end to Sonic's heroics, it's Metal Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fleetway Sonic has to be the most tragic incarnation; besides being a total jerk to his friends, he has to actively avoid rings and Chaos energy- a complete contrast to the games- or else he'll become an unstoppable demon with an insatiable bloodlust!

Even stress or anger can unleash his inner demon- it kind of reminds me of Elise, only this is well-written and actually makes sense.

To add onto this, I always liked how despite the antagonism between the good Super Sonic and Sonic himself, they both likewise fear "the Demon." The good Supes has an even more tragic angle going for him; he is blessed with all the power in the world and cannot use it lest he risk hurting those he cares about. To top it all off, the good Super has a heart of pure gold, and he will nonetheless give up his sanity if it means saving people.

Always was saddened he wasn't really focused on in the stories in Sonic the Comic Online.

Overall though, Fleetway Super Sonic is quite the interesting concept. Both kindhearted Super Sonic and douchebag normal Sonic have a great fear of him because of how deadly a force he is if he gets released.

I like Villains who don't see what they're doing is wrong, as they feel like hard choices have to be accomplished in order to accomplish their goals. It adds a shade of grey perspective and makes you feel pity in defeating them. Case in point, Merlina is definitely up there.

It really is interesting to see the villain's perspective. It's very seldom they actually consider what they are doing to be evil.

Depending on continuity, Eggman himself doesn't come off as immoral so much as amoral. As in, he doesn't destroy environments and species to be evil, so much as he views it as a necessary part of accomplishing what he sees as the greater good: a world with limitless technology. A part of me ponders, in fact, if he'd possibly change his technology fetish if he had been given a glimpse of the future from Sonic CD; even if he wins, he would end up destroying the planet.

Dark Enerjak likewise is convinced that he was doing the world a favor through all the things he was doing. He felt he was bringing order to chaos. It really shows how insecure he was behind all his power, as he felt the need to justify all his actions.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, if he's "not-Eggman" enough to count, I have to give a nod to Captain Whisker. While he's obviously got some Eggman in him, he's still got his own pirate-flavored charm. And he's a much more fun Eggman-alt than Nega has ever been...

I'm pretty satisfied with how the Deadly Six turned out, also. They all fall into one cliched archetype or another, yes, but they're pretty solidly entertaining incarnations of those archetypes. They won't be winning any awards for backstory or character development, but they all play their parts well, and it's fun to see how they and Sonic play off each other. Zor is obviously the best of them, though.

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 27: Favorite Non-Eggman Villain

Who else but Merlina the Wizard.

Char_4.png

Probably the most developed character, aside from Eggman himself, her path of helping Sonic defeat the Black Knight and ultimately betray him to obtain ultimate power came as one of the best twists in a Sonic game. Her drive to escape the inevitable fate of a storybook character and her general fear of change makes her one of the most unique characters in the series and helps deliver probably the most mature moral in the series. Her interactions with Sonic, and their contrasting views really strengthens both characters significantly, and gives Sonic in particular a wonderful personality to bounce off of and cement what his character truly is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #27: Who is/are your favourite villain(s)... APART from Robotnik?

Metal Sonic. Mainly for his design: 

800px-Classic_metal_orthographic.svg.png
Metal Sonic is actually one of those Eggman robots that looks practical. His entire torso is a jet engine; combine that with his sleek, thin design he actually looks like he was made to go fast. Also, his fingers are spikes... Let that sink in. Being a robot, Metal Sonic doesn't display much emotion, but he seems to have at least one, which is JEALOUSY. He is spiteful towards the real Sonic, because he loses to him despite being both faster and stronger. He even betrayed his creator just so he could get a chance at besting Sonic after transforming into the T-1000 or some shit. 

To top it off, basically every showdown you have with Metal Sonic is actually really fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 27: Favourite Non-Eggman Villain

The Dr Eggman we all know and love has been known as Sonic's main antagonist since the inception of the series and his plots to dominate the world have always been noteworthy in the storyline of the series. However, there are always different guys who can steal Eggman's spotlight for a minimal part of the game and yet leave an impression indeed, from Eggman's own creations to the so-called Monsters of The Week. While bad guys like Chaos, Erazor Djinn, or The Deadly Six just to name a few are great villains, the one that still holds the spot of being my favourite non-Eggman villain is...

20101030050050!Metal_Sonic_16.png

Metal Sonic

Eggman's definitive weapon to destroy Sonic was first introduced in Sonic The Hedgehog CD; while there were other metallic resemblances of the evil robotic hedgehog such as Silver Sonic in Sonic 2 or Mecha Sonic from Sonic & Knuckles, Metal Sonic ultimately managed to establish a long-term impact in the series. Also gotta love its design as depicted above: blue and shinny, cold, threatening and deadly looking, his glowing red eyes are a sign of how evil it is meant to be.

As mentioned before, he has had a long representation in the series throughout the years. The race battle with Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway is one of the most iconic boss fights in the series, showing how Sonic had to give the extra mile in order to defeat it. His representation in the Sonic OVA, however, showed how much of a threat he can be, and his incarnation in Sonic Heroes took the extra mile and depicted just as much if not even bigger ambitions to conquer the world just as his creator. Aside from certain spin-offs such as Sonic The Fighters or Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games, he also was featured on the 20th Anniversary game Sonic Generations alongside the aforementioned battle in Stardust Speedway. Hopefully his representation on the main series doesn't stop here and we can see him in future instalments since he has demonstrated that he can be as big a villain as Dr Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 27: Favorite Villain that isn't Dr. Manegg

Gfs_63168_2_1.jpg

I really like Chaos. He's an awesome-looking water-monster that gets increasingly more menacing every time he transforms, until he eventually turns into a god that levels an entire city. While I'm usually the first person to say that storytelling isn't this series' strong point, Chaos became an incredibly memorable villain because he had a huge presence in Sonic Adventure. Especially in Sonic and Tails' stories, every goal was directly related to him. When you weren't fighting him, you were losing in a game of keepaway, trying in vain to stop him from getting stronger. When I first played this I was wondering just how far it would go...

Chaos_larger.jpg

Pretty far.

Day 27: Favorite Non-Egg Villain!

Real Answer: Metal Sonic from the OVA, for reasons expounded upon by everyone else.

Secondary Answer: Mephiles, because

tumblr_m6bqdt8O7H1rw5y90o1_400.gif

tumblr_lvqoq8fGbl1qdtw9eo1_500.gif

Dude is friggin hilarious

He steals every scene he's in and he's just a blast to watch. It reminds me of The Emperor of Star Wars Episode III: I don't care if his motivations don't make sense, or if his actual quality as a character is questionable at best, because he's one of the few bastions of genuine entertainment in what is otherwise a bane to sight and sound.

• Thumbs Up 4

The Many Different and Varied Robot Sonics

Sonic_Robots_by_TheWax.jpg

Ok, when your arch enemy is loves to create robots, there's no way he's not going to try and create a superior replica of you, yourself, and I. Whether it's Silver Sonic, Metal Sonic, Mecha Sonic, Neo Metal Sonic, Titan Metal Sonic, or Pseudo Sonic, each one has bought an interesting or sometimes annoying dynamic to a game, cartoon, or comic book.

Scourge the Hedgehog

161_ScourgeProfile-11.jpg

I used to be a nobody. No…worse. I was a knock-off. An "Evil" Sonic on a "Evil" Mobius… Then, with a little boost of the Master Emerald, I finally became a somebody….a real Scourge!

That pretty sums up Scourge. He's knows he's a knockoff of Sonic and HE HATES IT and tries to become something better. Of course, that's not saying much since he's got all of Sonic's worst qualities multiplied by 10 and he's a complete jerkass. Heck, he even went back to his own world and conquered it.

I like evil versions of characters because they help bring out the good qualities of the hero. Everytime Scourge has been at his worst, Sonic been at his best.

Scourge: As for you….I've got you figured out! I know why you hate me. It's not just the Fiona thing or that I'm better looking…it's that all it takes is one bad day…and you'd be just like me.

Sonic: No, that's not it, Scourge. It's because all it would take is a bit of selflessness, a little bit of decency, and you'd be just like me.

Ixis Naugus

Blog_Ixis_Naugus.jpg

So one day, 3 wizards with 3 different elements of nature decide to teach and learn their skillets to try and reach the sun to learn the element of fire. The rhino was earth, the lobster was water, and the bat was wind. However, each of them never really showed all their secrets of their elements and  tried to outrace the other 2 to the Sun. As a result, all 3 of them fused together to form this thing.

Naugus' one goal in life is rule the Kingdom of Acorn and use the citizens to revive the order of Ixis Wizards, without giving them a choice. 

He can use a number of elemental spells that use water/ice, wind, fire, and earth and even combine them into various forms. He can turn himself into elements to avoid attacks and defend. His magic becomes stronger when he gets Power Rings and Chaos Emeralds.

Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper

Teanhool.jpg

Nack the Weasel is pretty awesome in the comics. He's sniped and defeated Sonic, SINGLE HANDLY, at least 3 times, teamed up with the Destruix and took Sonic and the other Freedom Fighters on as a group, and is now formed a Team with Bean the Duck and Bark the Polar Bear to hunt down treasure or any bounty that catches his eye.

Whether he's using one of his many weapons, driving the Marvelous Queen, or a weight-bencing bar with weights, hanging above a doorway, he will use any dirty trick or tactic to make a quick amount of Rings. Has really bad luck with women though.

Dr. Finitevus

Corrupted1.jpg

Dr. Finitevus was originally a good scientist who tried to create inventions to help the world. However, one of his inventions was a suit that would help Chaos Knuckles return to normal by absorbing the excess Chaos energy…while Finitevus himself wore it. As a result, similar to Scourge, it changed him physically, but also mentally. He became obsessed with "cleansing the world" and he would use his new powers and the Master Emerald to do it. Not only can he use Chaos Powers similar to Knuckles and Shadow, he also has a number of Warp Rings that allow him to teleport anywhere in the world.

Mecha and A.D.A.M (Autonomous Digital Assault Microbe) Robotnik

Mecha03.png250px-Tommyadam.png

These are Dr. Eggman's children….a female terminator robot and sentient computer virus that lived in all of Dr. Eggman's machines and technology (A.D.A.M. was made by accident). Both were complete opposites of each other while not falling far from the tree. Mecha was Dr. Eggman's bodyguard and was able to take on Sonic and a number of other heroes with super strength, high intelligence, and and laser eyes. Mecha was obedient while A.D.A.M. did his own thing. In fact, A.D.A.M. pretty much caused both their demise by making Dr. Eggman believe Mecha had betrayed him, capturing Tails and Shadow, using Nanobots to take over some of Sonic's friends and his dad, and making a machine that grabbed every single Chaos Emerald in the universe, so that he could prove he was the superior child. Maybe, Eggman should stick to raising Chao...

Enerjak

Alternate_Enerjak.jpg

Enerjak is basically a person who has become Super Powered through Chaos Emeralds, but doesn't have a time limit like Super Sonic does. They're not always bad per say. Even when Knuckles was Enerjak, he wasn't going to destroy Sonic and the rest of his friends…at first…although that's a different story.

From what we've seen in the old universe, those who become Enerjak become evil and chaotic and pretty much try to take over the world, ruin it, or destroy it.

Photo.png

In 1 alternate universe, he had already done this and was toying with his daughter and the rest of the survivors. His lair has a wall of characters he's defeated. He even came up with an idea of taking their souls and using them as his Prelate minions.

Dark Gaia

Dark_Gaia_Sega_Art_by_Shalweas.png

The Armageddon Monster powered by evil and shadows, Dark Gaia. The earth is his personal cocoon as it collects evil energy and eventually awakes to destroy the entire planet so that Light Gaia can come in and repair it.

Even when he was awaken prematurely and split apart, his minions still continue the mission, by attacking humanity and possessing people, plants, magical creatures, and other forms of life.

You do have to wonder how someone as cute and small as Chip is related to something as big and menacing as this 3 eyed, creature with purple frenzy dragons for hair.

A fan drew Dark Gaia with Chip as a concept and called it "Whip".

whip_and_chip__dark_gaia_and_light_gaia_

The Deadly Six

deadly-six-640x359.jpg?af4e70

When we first got the Announcement Trailer for Sonic Lost World, I was digging the Deadly Six. Though some of the Boss Battles were easy, I enjoyed their interactions with each other, Sonic, and Dr. Eggman in the story. While the Zeti and Lost Hex are still shrouded in mystery, maybe they'll return one day….or appear in the Archie Comics….

• Thumbs Up 1

Secondary Answer: Mephiles, because

*snip snip snip*

I hope you appreciate that this is one of very few instances in which I liked a Mephileslie-approving post. (Even though he's still the worst part of Sonic '06 for me as opposed to the "best".)

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you appreciate that this is one of very few instances in which I liked a Mephileslie-approving post. (Even though he's still the worst part of Sonic '06 for me as opposed to the "best".)

Oh, he's still awful. But he's one of those elements that's so bad he wraps around to being good again somehow. It's like if Sonic Team decided that Tommy Wisseau really was the best fit for Sonic's all-time arch-nemesis

W-what? We have to chose someone other than the magnificent Dr. Eggman?! Errr... um.. well you didn't say we can't choose one of Eggman's creations! So,

Sonic-Free-Riders-Metal-Sonic-artwork.pn

Metal Sonic it is, then! Yeah, I dunno why, but I just love Metal Sonic. And think about it. A genius inventor made up a robot as fast as Sonic, the fastest thing alive! How cool is that? His design has to be the most badass of all the robots Eggman's created. Look at that shiny metal, that awesome engine, those flexible appendages. Eggman went all out with this one. And what's best is, in Sonic Heroes, he has his own personality (well kinda, sorta). I really like Metal Sonic in both Heroes and the Archie Comics as he has a voice of his own and can say some pretty intimidating stuff. I also find his portrayal in the Sonic OVA quite well. He may be silent, but he's deadly and I believe he's one of Sonic's biggest threats, if only because he's (almost) as good as Sonic himself. 

Honestly? I'm going to have to go with Merlinda from Black Knight.

I actually have some of a soft side for villains who think they're doing the right thing. And Merlinda does have a good reason for her action - she wants her kingdom to last forever. The problem is, she's going at it the completely wrong way, actually doing much more harm then good. She's not a bad person by heart, she's just... very misguided.

I also have to give a shout-out to the Deadly Six. They may have been a bunch of cliches, but they embodied those cliches well.

• Thumbs Up 1