Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

My favorite non-Eggman villain?

I'm obviously going to say the Deadly Six.

Like these guys are pretty enjoyable to see despite them being very basic characters.

They can be very threatening while being very funny as well.

It's a shame that they'll probably be one-offs like other MotW but these guys made a very impression to me.

Can't wait to see how Flynn would write these guys later in the comics.

It's like the Dalek Emperor from the first series of Nu Doctor Who but written many years before!

Are we forgetting the Emperor from Evil of the Daleks, who was around long before Sonic? :U

I vote for Chaos because he was not fully evil and more of a tragic villain fueled by a hunger for revenge like many people in our world are. Also for mixing up what kind of aquatic animal he would emulate during fights, helped make him more complex. Also nice how in Sonic X, he had a lot of facial expression, making feel more like a monster was on a rampage and it would be best to run. Dark Gaia also gets a nod for being a being of pure negativity to balance out the positive in Sonic's world, for without darkness some of the good things like sleep cannot exist. Also for being a really *divine* time of a boss.

DAY 27 OF PRESIDENT CROW BEING A VILLAIN OF A DIFFERENT STORY!

So antagonists other than Eggman? Well I do have one in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StrWTGz9Oi8

Zazz!

I do love the Deadly Six but I feel like I would be kind of cheating if I mentioned all of them in one post. They do have their strengths and weakness as characters, but I do feel like most of them have potential but the writers written them as stereotypical archetypes around those characters and I feel like Zazz is the more unique out of the Six.

The reason why I love Zazz over the other members of the Six is that he's genuinely funny. I mean who thought of that "I've been dreaming about pounding your blue butt" line was a genius. His character in general is a laugh fest, though he comes off as mostly incompetent. Design wise he looks like a big purple lizard with a punk theme going on and I can dig that. He does have a lot of strength as he can pick up a small moon and run with it, though I feel like we don't the know the true extent of his power or speed. But like the rest of the Six I feel like we haven't explored him much and was just there to be a bad guy. Regardless I feel like Zazz made his mark in the series and I do hope he makes a return in some form. With that said UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 7

My favourite villains have to be the several so-bad-its-good villains Sonic has had. Black Doom, Mephilis and Erazor Jin. People have already mentioned the former two here so Ill explain myself with Erazor.

This guy is. Just. Awful. Not only do I think his writing is just mediocre, his voice acting makes sure I can't take him seriously one bit. Whoever did the voice for him can't deliver a single line correctly. Everything that comes out of his mouth sounds so TERRIBLY exaggerated and his awful-ness just cracks me up.

If I had to chose a villain that I don't like out of irony its Metal Sonic. He hasn't really done much, but he's still pretty awesome.

Day 27 Challenge: Favorite Villain(s) other than Robotnik/Eggman
26/30 Challenges Completed

Deadly_Six_Group_Art.png

Quite an easy answer!

Hands down the Deadly Six group as a whole are the best villains right after the great doctor himself.The Deadly Six look pretty great, they have great English and Japanese voices, each of them have some sort of cliche personality that I actually do enjoy, and overall they're just a fun bunch of villains that Sonic has to fight against. Zavok ends up being a great evil leader that I believe was a good replacement of Eggman in Lost World, Zazz is a crazy punk, Zomom is fat and likes to eat a lot, yet can still end up correcting Sonic on how many words of advice was given, Master Zik is the old teacher that has lots of wisdom and have some strength left, Zeena is the girl that cares mostly for her looks and doesn't mess around when something of hers is messed up, and Zor is just depressed and look at the entire world in some sort of despair type of view. 

deadly_six_concept_artwork_by_zazzthezet

Quite the deadly colorful bunch

I really also enjoy Sonic interactions with each of them. Below have to be my top favorite ones. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTVnDTu34-A

How can anyone not like this moment? It's downright hilarious seeing Zazz get in Sonic face and Sonic going into a little comedy moment. 

Zazz: I know the perfect spot to take care of you.
Sonic: That's funny, because I know the perfect spot to kick you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpad-eZpfwg

This one is just as funny as the Zazz one because of Sonic pretty much dissing Zeena, but it isn't as funny as the Zazz one since Zeena isn't a crazy punk like Zazz is. "Move it or lose it, snowcone!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mm9nVMKl9Q

Now... About this one... While this one isn't humorous as the other two, I really love this because of how Zavok taunts Sonic about being all alone. I mean, I personally can't ever remember a villain in the series taunting Sonic about something depressing happening to Sonic. The way Zavok taunts him then starts laughing as he leaves is fantastic and really shows how downright evil Zavok truly is. 

8425SLW_KEYART2_RGB.jpg

I really hope the Deadly Six return in the future. 

27/30 Challenges Completed

• Thumbs Up 7

If I had played Lost World, I'd probably mention the Deadly Six.  With that said, I normally wouldn't bring them up under those pretenses, but I just want to say that I really love their designs.  Zany and cute, but from what I've seen of the writing, they're also despicably evil but hilarious on multiple occasions.

Since I haven't played, though, I'm going to go with Erazor Dijinn.  Part of me would rather say Merlina instead, but I haven't played Black Knight in so long that the exact details of the game escape me.  So anyway, Erazor Dijinn isn't the most competent or well-composed villain in the history of ever, but he was a really interesting one, in my opinion.  In addition to putting a curse on Sonic, he also had a psychological stranglehold on Sharah, which allowed him to both get away with what he wanted and force Sharah to feel like she had no choice but to be his puppet.  He was a villain that didn't just do evil things, but also hit the characters on an emotional level.  He is probably the most satisfying villain to have put in his place once the game is over, and you feel real sense of relief in knowing that he's gone.  Plus I like his voice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 27: Favorite Non-Eggman Villain

Does Metal Sonic count?

'Cos he is awesome, especially in the OVA! I love his design and how cool and sleek he looks. And he is just as fast as Sonic too! Metal Sonic is basically just that though, an evil robot version of Sonic. I still like him though. =P

this this this this this

Always loved Metal Sonic. He's just flat-out badass, and he made the perfect rival to Sonic in the OVA.

But, of course, I'm also partial to...

Gerald.jpg

PROFESSOR GERALD ROBOTNIK

Yeah, it counts. Screw you.

Gerald doesn't appear much, but when he does, he is flat out menacing. His diary and monologue in Adventure 2 are outright chilling, as well as his motivation and his plan. Even if he was dead by the time SA2 happened, he's easily the most dangerous villain the series has ever seen, and definitely the most frightening, for whatever that's saying.

• Thumbs Up 8

he's easily the most dangerous villain the series has ever seen, and definitely the most frightening

I'll be the judge of that.

Gerald doesn't appear much, but when he does, he is flat out menacing.

Even in Shadow the Hedgehog?

Even in Shadow the Hedgehog?

I don't know what you're talking about.

There was no game called Shadow the Hedgehog.

You really must have dreamed that or something. It just didn't happen.

• Thumbs Up 4

day 27: favorite non eggman villain.

Well I actually have quite a few, im not sure who my favorite is. but one that springs to mind is Metal Sonic from the OVA.

I really like the idea of Metal needing Sonic's DNA, to be linked to him. as they say "know thine enemy", what better way to know them than to actually think like Sonic himself. Eggman was really clever thinking of that idea. Metal knows everything about sonic, and so should technically be able to read his moves and his next action, heck he even made the old man wear Sonic's favorite clothes!

However as I have stated before in another post, another reason I like Metal from the OVA is because he is a tragic villain, by the end of the OVA he knows there can only be one true Sonic, and after spending the whole movie essentially thinking of himself as the real sonic, he finally realizes that he is the fake, and as such he gives in and sacrifices himself. If you think about that, its really powerful and really makes you feel sorry for poor Metal, he lived the whole movie essentially living a lie and at the end it was all ripped away from hm.

Special mentions go to Erazor Djinn for being a calculating and believable villain, and giving Sonic an (almost) inescapable lose-lose situation and the Deadly Six for just being fun and although cliche's they are characterized pretty well

Day 27: Favourite villain that isn't the Eggster?

Firstly, I'd like to agree with everyone who picked someone based on comedy. Mephiles, Black Doom etc. are all hilarious to watch and are definitely worthy of mentions and honours here.

Taking it seriously though: I'll go with Metal Sonic, like everyone else. Strange, isn't it!? I never thought much of the guy -- I grew up on Adventure 2 and saw him for the first time in Heroes -- but since I saw the OVA... he really is a great villain. He truly can be the only proper match for Sonic. He's ruthless, efficient, and he's developed free will with one goal: destroy our favourite blue hedgehog. He's intense, with his icy cool gaze and stiff movements, but he is an even match for the spiky speedster in most arenas (though this is left up to who's writing him and why), and that is why I like him. In the OVA, he pushes Sonic to the limit. And for that, he has my respect at the very least. But he really is the most poetic and appropriate rival for Sonic.

Also, I love the OVA. Thought I should mention that.

Day 27: Favorite Non-Eggman Villain

3609325938_17ea753094.jpg

Metal Sonic

Why is Metal my favourite? Do you see any weapons? Machine guns? Lasers? Rockets? No. Metal Sonic is a rare case for Eggman, he isn't armed to the teeth, he doesn't have some incredible power to outweigh Sonic... So why is he so damn formidable?

Metal Sonic is a pure clone of Sonic in every possible way, he's fast, he's agile and he's persistent, just like our fleet footed hero Sonic! Metal Sonic is both cold and calculating, he's got the dexterity and programming to out smart and out do Sonic in every way, when something doesn't work, he tries something else until it does work. He adapts to Sonic's techniques, learns how to counter them and uses Sonic's own weaknesses against him. In the OVA Metal whooped Sonic bad, the only reason he didn't win is because he assumed Sonic died from the fall. Because Metal is a robot he doesn't have limitations like living beings does, like a 360 degree rotating body, he never tires or has emotion, Metal is a cold killing machine with only one goal, beat Sonic.

tumblr_lxpuimKRaz1qdtw9eo1_500.png

Metal Sonic may not be equipped with any special weapons, but that doesn't deter from his combat prowess, he maybe be brittle against Sonic's mecha smashing abilities, but he isn't afraid to go toe-to-toe with his nemesis on his own ground. In the OVA Metal has several abilities that never carried through to his game carnation that were never explained, one being that pinkish illusion attack where he phases after Sonic and through the ice, and he also has the ability to teleport in some sense. He is his own weapon and he is ridiculously strong and it's because of this...

hqdefault.jpg

Metal Sonic's entire torso is a jet turbine, it churns enough RPM to be faster than Sonic himself. his unfortunate let down is poor traction and stopping speed but for what he lacks in, he makes up for in dexterity of dealing with Sonic, his A.I is constantly removing variables on the fly to outsmart Sonic, even in a split nano-second, if it's doable Metal Sonic's AI will seize the chance to get one up on his foe. He is forever learning and doesn't fall for the same mistakes twice, he keeps learning and learning and learning until he is perfect for dispatching Sonic, it's only a matter of time because Metal is no quitter.

tumblr_mmohofPO4C1rbg5uio1_500.png

Metal is the perfect enemy, he looks just like Sonic, he wants to be the Only Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Day #27: Who is/are your favourite villain(s)... APART from Baldy Nosehair Eggman?

/looks at icon

/eye twitch

METAL SONIC.

...But yeah, Metal Sonic's pretty awesome. He has the potential to outrun Sonic, he can turn into a giant metallic dragon, he can shapeshift and copy others' abilities...what isn't there to like about this guy?

Also, shoutout to the storybook crew--Erazor Djinn for being menacing in everything but voice, and Merlina for giving me a slight existential crisis. And how could we forget the Deadly Six? Sure, by themselves they were pretty one-dimensional, but the way they interacted with each other and Sonic was pure gold. Plus, Captain Whisker and Johnny for being awesome robot Eggman-esque pirates. (Well, Whisker anyway for the Eggman-esque part. Johnny brought an awesome new kind of special stage to the table.) Not to mention the Monsters of the Week for having cool designs.

Finally, Black Doom and Mephiles for unintentional hilarity.

You know what, let's just say I like nearly all the Sonic villains in their own ways and get on with it. Well, with Metal Sonic trumping among them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 27:

Aside from the good Doctor, my favorite villains are headed by none other than the Deadly Six!

These guys finally put the personality into the roles, and they gel well especially when all six are together. Their interactions with SOnic are exemplary to boot!

Each one contributes to the plot, setting and story in their own unique way, what with Zazz providing insanity/randomness, Zomom, a solid and particularly stupid bruiser, Zik the old teacher, Zeena the arrogant self-serving figure, Zor the epic downer, and Zavok the badass, and red, leader!

Day 27: Who are your favorite antagonists besides the Eggman himself?

Oh, that's an easy one.

Sure, you've got your dead-serious, emotionless robot in Metal Sonic, the brute leader in the Battle Kukku, and your deep, thought-provoking antagonist in Merlina, but for me, there's only one team of villains that are almost  as fun to watch as the great Eggster himself.

SONIC_LOST_WORLD_E3_FINAL_COLOURS_THE_DE

Yep that's right it's the deadly si-wait, no, get out of here!

Joking bunch of hyenas...

No, that honor would have to go to the Archie team of scrapped SEGA characters, Team Hooligan.

teamhooligan.JPG

Let's have a look at what makes them so great. First, you have Bark the Polar Bear. He's the muscle of the team, able to pick up the Marvelous Queen like it's a suitcase, smash through solid rock walls, and hold giant robot servos in place while chucking explosives at them. Instead of being the dumb muscle who doesn't know when to shut up, though, he's practically mute. This makes him a great foil for his order-barking boss and chatterbox sidekick, as instead of choosing to retort back at them with more words, he simply says all he needs to say through his facial expressions. Unfortunately his character isn't that distinct due to this trait of his. What has been shown that he has some form of honor, as seen in the recent Sonic Universe arc, but ultimately has a profit over honor policy when the real treasure is laid down on the table. Despite this, he still performs his function in this team quite well, adding on to the entertainment of the team as a whole.

Next up is Nack the Weasel, the no-nonsense, bounty-hunting leader of the pack. He's an expert sniper, able to clip the wings of a relatively fast-moving, long range target with ease. His pride and joy is his main method of transportation, the Marvelous Queen, which in some cases he values more than his own life. Despite his no-nonsense, order-barking demeanor, though, he's actually quite the bungler, letting the bounty get away on numerous occasions. He used to prefer working alone, yet despite his agitation of Bean's kookiness, has been leading this team ever since being paired up with them by Mammoth Mogul. One of the reasons he keeps letting this lot hang around him is probably because they are just as inclined to flip sides as he is, if the price is right. Money is his main priority, with his greed being even greater than his grudges in some cases. A crack shot and a level-headed leader, no bounty in the world is going to slip by his eye.

"So the basic muscle and leader have been covered. So? Where's the "fun" part of this team? I thought you said this team was going to b-OH!"

BeanJet2.jpg?t=1298740722

BeanJet3.jpg?t=1298740722

BeanJet4.jpg?t=1298740911

BeanJet5.jpg?t=1298740966

BeanJet6.jpg?t=1298741039

Beanjet7.jpg?t=1298741067

BeanJet8.jpg?t=1298741101

Beanjet9.jpg?t=1298741121

"... That's where all the fun went."

Yes, it's Bean the Duck, AKA Bean the Dynamite. Able to talk to and control bombs, he's a mecinary out to break the bank... or just get a few cupcakes from the bakery across the street. While his main goal is money, (as he can get whatever he wants with money) most of the time his side goals will distract him. For example, he has a weakness for shiny things, such as spoons, and will completely abort the mission in favor of chasing after them, and if anyone does anything to his bombs, well... see the above panels. He seems to regard explosives as people, dubbing them titles and remembering their deeds in honor. His constant chattering can get him on Fang's bad side more often than not, but that doesn't usually get him down. His best bud is Bark the Polar Bear, who has been working as a partner in crime with him since the very beginning, despite how polar opposite they are. Happy-go-lucky, head-in-the-clouds, and random to the max, this guy makes team hooligan, and quite frankly... *puts on shades*

Is a blast.

Day 27: Complete

• Thumbs Up 4

Merlina. Interesting and sympathetic character that get's besotted with her fantasies, at the end of the day she tries to wrongfully force her word to submit to her just as much as Eggman does, regardless of a differing motive. I think Komodin explains her better.

2) Merlina the Sorceress (Origin: Sonic and the Black Knight)

Char_4.png

With Merlina here, I say she’s a pretty effective villain as well. I was honestly expecting her to be an expy of Shahra--I mean, she really does look like how Shahra would look like if she donned a robe, right?  Over time, however, she essentially faded into the background with the talking sword, Caliburn, taking her place as the helper character. As this went on, I couldn’t help but wonder why she was even a target by the Sauron-esque King Arthur in the first place. Like, what could she, a relatively meek wizard, have possibly done that earned enough of his ire to have him as well as his knights try to execute her? Also, what could she possibly want with a scabbard that grants immortality?

By the time King Arthur was ”dethroned” permanently and Sonic returned the Scabbard to her, she showed her true colors and everything suddenly made sense. She probably tried to get the Scabbard herself, but was clearly stopped by Arthur and the Knight and, when she summoned Sonic into her world, she essentially tricked her into doing all the dirty work for her while she lay low until she got what she wanted. In every case, this would ultimately make her quite a wicked villainess… however, what makes her more than just that was, again, her motivation. With the death of her grandfather coupled with the realization that her world was on its way to its end, she tried everything in her power to make sure that would never happen, even willing to become wicked herself in the process. A sympathetic motivation… but no less self-centered, as in her efforts to run away from the inevitable, she essentially locked her entire world in a state of stagnant stasis, with no end or beginning.  In other words, while her plight was very relatable, her selfishness still doomed her world in a way no different from its inevitable fate.

CorruptedMerlina.png

What gets me with her as well was her “Dark Queen” form: she may not be the first female villain in the games--as obscure as their game is, Wendy Witchcart and her lackey, Carrotia, still preceded Merlina--she is the first to have a bona fide super transformation of sorts. As they go, her’s look pretty cool. It got that decaying, feral look to her that makes her look quite menacing in her presentation. Couple that with her second form of a gigantic ghostly King Arthur-like figure with four tower-sized weapons, and she has the makings for a downright nightmarish being.

500px-Erazor_Djinn01.png

This guy right here.

Now before you all execute me, I just want to say that I thought Erazor was great as a hammy villain. But he's also such a cold hearted bastard that he didn't even hesitate to punish Shahra for disobeying him and not giving a single shit when he mistakenly killed her. His constant teasing of Sonic throughout the game was also a neat trait he had, making it even more satisfying when you finally lay the smackdown on him.

And that voice... oh lordy, that voice. It's so over-the-top and almost opera-like, that I just can't hate it. Noticeable example would be the ending CGI scene with him boasting that he "cannot be vanquished" and finishes it with that silly laughter. 

While his motives may be been basic, I still hold him in high regard as an entertaining villain.

• Thumbs Up 9

Favourite villain would be... Chaos.

He's just... So awesome. In concept, at least. His in-game appearance left a lot to be desired, and although the Generations version was better in this regard, it still left me wanting.

Shout out to the Deadly Six, for being some of the most fun villains yet.

~SSMB Has Cleared Villain Vivisection Act 27!~

Wait for me...

Question #28: Which character(s) would you like to see a spinoff for?

showposter.jpg?v=4f8c93d8

"wow much spinoff so beloved 10/10 very okay" - IGNorwichTerrier or something.

Helping Sonic destroy the Death Egg: Seven Chaos Emeralds...

Helping Sonic tame the God of Destruction: Seven Chao Eggs...

Helping Sonic get over his Teen Wolf phase: Seven Planet Pieces...

Helping Sonic come back to life in order to stop the sun god that eats dimensions for lunch and was also half-responsible for killing him in the first place: Seven Loading Screens...

Going on your own adventure: Priceless.

There are some things main titles can't buy. For everything else, there are spinoffs.

Crusher's Thoughts: The character that immediately comes to mind for me is Blaze. It helps that she has her own world to explore, and it would be a good opportunity to see the differences - and similarities - that make Blaze's world stand out from what makes Sonic's world... Sonic's world. We could also see more interactions with the likes of Marine, maybe find out a little more about the Jeweled Scepter and that "Power of the Stars" business, and generally just see how Blaze handles her own heroics when Sonic and his friends aren't around. As for who the villain could be? Dunno... Maybe a new villain? Maybe Whisker? Maybe the Deadly Six, against all logic? Maybe Nitekap from 40 Winks? Maybe the Beagle Boys? Maybe the physical personification of my terrible ideas?

The other immediate choice for me would have to be Tails. Tails has always been one of the biggest "I want to help anyone and everyone" lovable types in the series anyway, so making another spinoff for him would already be rather easy story-wise. Assuming that Sonic wasn't around for whatever reason (is he relaxing in Hedgehog Shores?), I think it would be interesting to see how Tails' insecurities have developed. And honestly, despite not minding the Kukku Armada (or a new villain), I could easily see Robotnik providing the antagonist's role just fine here. See, in my own little headcanon, I like to take the Mario Bros. approach with Sonic and Tails, and so, while Sonic is the most obvious thorn in Robotnik's side, the doctor would hate that fox just as much. And besides, if Sonic's away, it makes sense for Tails to be the one who would play, right? (Maybe one of the bosses could even be an improved version of the Egg Walker from Adventure 1.) And what about Metal Sonic? I think it would be pretty cool and surreal - and perhaps symbolic in a way - to see Tails being forced to defeat the infamous robot that's based on his best friend and idol.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 28: What character would you want to get a spinoff?

Team_Chaotix.png

Team Chaotix, hands down. Since they're detectives, this opens up tons of story opportunities for them. I think the heroes gameplay style best suits them since they're a trio. All it needs is some polishing and I think we've got ourselves an enjoyable game here. Heck if Sega plays their cards right we could get an entire spin off series of these three! A guy can dream.

• Thumbs Up 8

I agree with what Crusher said. However, I also think Metal Sonic should get his own game. (Don't judge me) I know the character isn't that interesting, but I would kinda like to see him destroy Sonic in his own game.

28/30 days complete.

I also agree with what Johnny the Tyrantrum said. (I was actually going to say the Chaotix.)

I want to see Dr Eggman have a game. I love to play with him in Sonic Adventure 2 and he was awesome. I wanna see him in his own game. A main game. Hes got his own cas (Orbot and Cubot) and they are intresting on his own. Plus we can show him work with Sonic to to... deafeat the villien who is try to take his spotlights away. Something new! It can be call: BaldyMcNosehair: Revenge of the Mustache