Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Knuckles. Knuckles the echidna.

Why? Simple. His game would be full of exploration gameplay (climbing, swimming, gliding whatever), with epic fighting combat and maybe even an origin story attached to it. Get Hunnid-P and other hip hop artists to do the music for this and you've got one helluva kickass spin off game!

That would be the coolest thing ever!

Plus we can show him work with Sonic to to... deafeat the villien who is try to take his spotlights away. Something new!

I'll respectfully pass on this, for obvious and very fanboy-ish reasons.

Question #28: Which character(s) would you like to see a spinoff for?

As of right now?... No one really.

It's really difficult in an age where most of the characters are not being used at all very much, much less to any real potential, to see which gameplay and characterization ideas are deserving of extensive elaboration outside of the mold of a traditional Sonic game. That, and the current writing for the characters who are left don't present any real hooks to develop off of that I actually find interesting. If any environment was the least conducive to easily answering this question, it would be the current Sega one simply because I have no idea how the rest of the cast will be interpreted under the current circumstances to bother giving what I feel is a good answer, if they will be at all.

I suppose if you put a gun to my head and chose me to pick, it would be Silver, mainly because he has psychokinesis and it could make for really interesting puzzle and combat gameplay. Also, I find he has the most interesting personality for further development as morally-conflicted hero with little experience compared to a remaining cast of morally-staunch, relatively black-and-white characters. It would also give him a chance at redemption under the current developmental circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1

Characters I'd want to see a spin-off game for, eh? Hm....

4h6sya.jpg

I think Silver or Blaze would make for some great spin-off material. The stories could be used flesh out either of their unique worlds (whether fighting new threats in the future as Silver or exploring completely new locales with Blaze and Marine), you could switch up the gameplay a bit with their special powers (With Blaze's flames you could work some projectile attacks and extra high jump boosts into the traditional Sonic move repertoire while Silver's psychic abilities could be greatly reworked and expanded from the botched attempt in Sonic 06), and most important of all, BETWEEN THE TWO GAMES WE COULD FINALLY GET A DEFINITE IN-GAME ANSWER AS TO WHERE THE KERO NEGA IS ACTUALLY FROM! That alone would be worth the purchase. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 28: Who would you like to see a spin-off for?

Tails. It's always been Tails. He's the only character who's had a decent spin-off before, and if they wanted to make something distinct, he's got potential. I don't think a character spin-off is what the series needs right now, but he's always been like, the 2nd or 3rd most relevant Sonic character so it seems only natural to suggest him. Tails Adventures was a neat little game. Something like that would make a great handheld title, if done right.

DAY 27 Who is/are your favourite villain(s)... APART from Robotnik?

Hmm... Yet another tricky question.

I Have to go with Chaos

He was an interesting villain because unlike other monsters of the week, Robotnik didn't seem to really be controlling him. Revenge seems to be the reason he was helping Eggman destroy the city and the people in it. In the end though (thanks to Sonic) he stops all his rampaging and goes with Tikal and the chao to where ever it is they go.I like that he wasn't totally evil just angered, upset, and misguided.

His design is cool too. 0 looks like a strange looking sonic character, whereas the other transformations look like monstrous sea creatures. And I just dig that he and his powers come from water. His connection with the chao is interesting too, whether he's a mutated chao or just some kind of a relation to them, I would love to know more about it.

EDIT: WHOOPS! We switched days already, I had the reply page up awhile ago to post, but had to help my grandmother with something. I'll answer the new question in a bit.

I'd like to see a Blaze the Cat game. Imagine, tearing through levels with Sonic-like gameplay, but this time with fire powers. It'd also offer some cool new locales, being in a different dimension and all.

Day 28: Need For Sonic Speed: Most Wanted Spinoff *shot*

Okay, we all (or at least most of us) know that phase where you start going overboard with ideas and you start thinking of things you might believe are cool but in reality it probably would suck.

Well...I'm still a tad bit in that phase admittedly, and a couple years ago I was randomly thinking about Sonic characters and spinoffs and my mind trailed off on a tangent of ideas for a game of...

Silver_the_hedgehog.png

Silver the Hedgehog.

Okay, why Silver of all people? Well at the time, I was still hype off of Generations, and seeing Silver's move set in that game gave me more ideas than I would have hoped.

So what were some of these ideas? Well one of them was kind of an origins story. (Silver realizing "holy shit I have powers" and then losing control over them, so then he learns to control them, probably with Blaze). I dunno. I didn't really think of the whole story. But I mean, after Generations expanded his abilities a little, I just thought of a bunch of random possibilities of things Silver could possibly do with his Psycho-kinetic powers and my mind ended up drifting off to a game akin to inFamous or Prototype and I kinda freaked to be honest. But hey, a man can dream, can't he?

Day 28: Character you would want a spinoff for

242px-Team_chaotix.png

Gonna have to say the Chaotix, simply because they're the most interesting characters to explore. They have cool abilities that can be explored that still fit within the general feel of a Sonic game, and have loads of charm and an interesting background that makes them stand out among all other characters in the series.

Not to mention, since they are a group, they don't have to worry about having to individually carry a narrative all on their own, as their personalities can easily be bounced off each other so that they can still have an interesting story even if they're the only major characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 28: Shadow 2: Damn Harder

There's plenty of characters I'd love to see get a spinoff. I'll start off with the ones who technically already have them...

I genuinely think a game that took some inspiration for Tails Adventure would be interesting for Tails; perhaps a bit faster-paced and add in some other standard Sonic elements, while still having the unique concepts of TA, and I think you'd have a cool tribute to everyone's favourite two-tailed fox.

Meanwhile, Shadow would probably never ever get another game of his own ever, but I can dream. I imagine a spinoff focused on him would be more combat based, perhaps giving him something akin to the homing attack-melee attacks in '06. I dunno, I'm one of those weirdos who never minded health bars or whatever. tongue.png Plus it'd be nice to see Shadow go through some kind of development...that doesn't involve aliens.

Blaze is also an obvious answer. There's a whole alternate world to explore! I think it'd be...kind of neat if...Marine...was...playable...don't hurt me.

Silver has cool powers and could make for something interesting in terms of exploring the future of Sonic's world. Maybe even explore some familiar locations but like...Good Future-ized? I dunno.

There's also Knuckles! Come on, who wouldn't love to see a game about good ol' Knucklehead? Like Shadow, I could see a Knuckles spinoff having some emphasis on combat, while still being speedy and such. Also I'd love it if they you collecting Master Emerald shards rather than Red Rings, and if you get them all you get a better ending. Or something. I dunno, I'd like the Classics' concept of "better ending than usual" so I look for any excuse to have something like that.

I feel like Amy would make for an interesting spinoff. Gameplay wise it'd be about what you'd expect, an Adventure/Advance based moveset and all that. For some reason, I imagine a story that focuses on the concept of "'a hero in another story"; see, it would start as you'd expect, with Amy, shockingly, chasing Sonic. The hedgehog would apparently be on this big adventure off screen but you only ever get bits and pieces of it through Amy's eyes and Sonic giving the occasional vague reference to what he's up to. The twist: Amy ends up on a big adventure of her own, perhaps facing off against another villain of some sort. Perhaps even a certain robot she has a lot of history with...

...Speaking of which, ever since I played as him in SA2's multiplayer, Metal Sonic. Perhaps focus on kidnapping animals or whatever. I dunno, no solid ideas for that, I'd just like to see it.

And last but not least, Team Chaotix solving a bunch of super serious mysteries such as "where are we going to get some money" and "Charrmy what are you even doing"...okay, I honestly have no clue what a Chaotix spinoff could entail, but hell, I'd play it.

And...yeah, those're my vague idea for spinoffs that will never happen. If you actually read all that, thanks, and I hope you found some enjoyment out of it. XP

• Thumbs Up 1

*Disclaimer: I'm talking strictly of the game universe for this post

Knuckles of course. There's so much unexplored lore that was just tossed into Sonic Adventure, with the Echidna tribe and whatnot, and I want more. Knuckles is definitely one of the more intriguing of the main cast, mainly because his past is shrouded in so much mystery, and there's a lot to work with when writing a story.

It's also timely. When was the last time Knuckles contributed anything to the story? 06? He literally dicked around with woodland creatures in the background of Amy's conference call with Sonic in Lost World. It's about time Knuckles was in the limelight with the others. (partly why I'm stoked for Boom, even if it's not canon).

Plus, he has a pretty radical move set, so a Knuckles game could totally work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also it'd be...kind of neat if...Marine...was...playable...don't hurt me.

I wouldn't mind this, actually.

• Thumbs Up 2

l don't particularly want a spin-off for any one character, but if I had to choose, it would be Tails. I've mentioned before that he's my favorite character, but besides that, he has what are, in my opinion, the best range of abilities to design a game around. He can fly, build things, use gadgets, and is an ace pilot. To me, that's a good variety of skills. The only real problem I think is that the mainstream gaming community has a hard time swallowing the concept of anyone but Sonic getting their own game, or being playable. "Sonic's shitty friends" etc.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 28: Which characters do you think should get a spinoff game?

Oh, definitely Team Chaotix. This team has so much potential as a detective agency, and ever since Heroes (and possibly Shadow) have been greatly underused. Vector would show his actual intellect with his ability to solve cases, Espio would prove his ninja training through undercover work, and charmy... well, charmy wouldn't really do anything other than ordinary tasks, but his relationship with the team should be explained, because as is, he seems to be there for no reason, and is relatively useless. The Heroes gameplay was fine for what it is, however, I think gameplay in the style of Sly Cooper would be more fitting for a detective game. Perhaps the game could be done by BRB? I could see that working.

Whatever the case, this is the team I would see a spinoff title benefiting the most. Possibly Knuckles as well, due to his unexplored past, but Chaotix are my main choice.

Day 28: Complete

If I want to see a spinoff of another character?

I would be curious to see a Team Dark spinoff.

sonicheroes_120203_teamdark_inline_01.jp

After reading the Shadow Fall arc from the Archie Comics, I really liked the friendships amongst the team. It's one of the few things I liked in 06 and it would be interesting to see the development between Shadow, Rouge and Omega.

Atleast it would make Omega more relevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonicchannel_metal.png

Again, Metal Sonic.

I've always wanted to play through a game as the enemy, starting out from one's creation, training to take down your single purpose, doing side missions to impress the good Doctor, becoming a killing machine. Being able to utilize Metal's speed and ability to fly and wreak havoc on the world below. I'd imagine Metal's gameplay would be like Sonic but with more close combat and hands on fights, it would be awesome to face off against Sonic as a boss, putting everything you learned previously in the game for an epic show down with Sonic.

I'd also like to see some sort of "first person view" through metal's visor with all his data streams and information, playing as metal would be pretty awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a combat flight simulator where you pilot the Tornado as Tails could be cool. I always thought the Sky-Chase segments from Sonic Adventure were kind of fun so maybe a full title based off of that could work? *shrug* I dunno.

• Thumbs Up 1

#28:

I'm going to have to go with Blaze.

She seems to have the most respect in and outside of the fanbase in order to justify getting a game of her own.  Plus her home dimension opens up a lot of potential for some great level themes (Sonic Rush Adventure really showed off how diverse it was and that was just the ocean. Imagine what must be on the main continents!)

In addition to Blaze, we could also have Silver and Marine as playable allies and have Capt. Whisker, Johnny, and their army of robo-pirates team up with a very vengeful Eggman Nega (somehow escaping from his hellish entrapment in Ifrit's dimension) as the main villains.

With some great gameplay, great levels, a cool and fun story, and of course some amazing music (courtesy of Tomoya Ohtani, Mariko Nanba, and Fumie Kumatani) we could have a really awesome game!

...and my opinion still hasn't changed.

*GIANT SNIP GIANT SNIP GIANT SNIP*

Control yourself, son!

• Thumbs Up 1

What? Is that...

... too Big for you?

• Thumbs Up 3

Shadow.

I know I know, he got one already. But hear me out.

For starters can we please retcon the whole alien thing? Thanks.

For two, now that he's one of GUN's elite agents, that allows for some interesting opportunities... in particular, despite his impressive arsenal of abilities, stealth would probably fit him. Sonic recklessly charges into battle, but I can see Shadow preferring to take things slower and more carefully. Yes, Metal Gear Hedgehog is where this is going.

On the flipside, some combat would be nice, preferably exploiting his Chaos abilities. He doesn't need guns. He can form explosions, bullets, swords, the works from his energy. That's what they should exploit. And in line with the above, it should be established he does have limits, hence stealth is preferred most of the time.

It's not "high speed," but in my view if you're not having Sonic as the focus you may as well be open to changing the gameplay style.

Also in line with my first request, a new backstory for him would also be nice. If he's working for GUN, being able to get more information on his past should come with the territory.

Also going to vouch for Silver on the basis that his powers would be very interesting to see as well. In a non-glitchy format.

What? Is that...

... too Big for you?

Yeah.

It is.

*silence*

• Thumbs Up 1

Its somewhat of a toss up between shadow, silver, and the chaotix for me, they all have some really good potential for a spin off game so its hard to really say. But if I had to choose one, it would probably be for shadow. I know he's already had a game but it would be nice if we got another one, this time focusing a bit more on his chaos powers and stuff over guns while still maintaining some generally speedy gameplay. Also, it would be a good way to introduce new shadow's backstory to this new continuity that sega has been going with for sonic since colors.