Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

My favorite first stage has to be City Escape from SA2. It puts you right in the middle of the action, being pursed by GUN, is a breath of fresh air when it comes to first stages and also the music is just great. And finally it even ends with a huge chase scene.

It's a perfect first stage for me because it represents the mood and feel of the game.

My favorite first level? that is easy!

City Escape!

I love this level simply for nostalgia's sake. I mean, all those years playing SA2 battle with my siblings really made that level awesome to me. And the song is awesome as well!

i will include green hill zone because, well, what would sonic have been without the first level of his first game?

Next we have (hope this counts if not, it is a side note) 

wild canyon! (knuckles' first level)

This level has same annoying music in it, but I simply love exploring it as Knuckles! digging around is so much fun, and finding the chao: Piece of cake!

Let's not forget Mushroom Hill zone!! Knuckles' happy home and colorful world of bouncy mushrooms in S& K!  that one is plain fun!

My favorite is city escape. I think it's pretty obvious why:

sonic-generations-e3-city-escape-modern.

I love the truck scene (Yes, I know the picture is from Generations, calm down) and how sonic was running from it. It gave me a good impression on SA2, and it oddly reminded me of that whale chase in SA1.

Gotta hand it to City Escape. That still stands as one hell of an opening stage especially after the cutscene that preceded it. I've always had a soft spot for the city stage trope in Sonic games and City Escape doesn't disappoint.

I always did like how the stage opened. Dropping from the sky on a makeshift board and boarding down the hilly streets. Visually, there's so much to see and such vibrancy. Adverts are frequent sights, there are trams and cars on the roads, you can see the entire bay if you get to a high point in the stage and there's a lot of detail to the shop displays. Not to mention to famous invisible cameraman in one of the shop window textures :lol:

And then there's the GUN Truck chase. That was really surprising the first time I played it and is still a awesome setpiece even if you are pretty much always pressing down on the stick.

I think what makes City Escape additionally cool is the fact that it was inspired by Sonic Team USA's HQ location at the time where the game was developed, San Francisco.

Acts 1 and 2 of Windmill Isle Day in HD Unleashed get an honorable mention for lowering you into the adventure and for having the feeling that it's a prime start to a huge one. It also gets praise from me for being absolutely graphically luscious and an amazing introduction to the capabilities of the lighting in act 1 given the morning light. Act 2 is cool because it takes place over multiple Apotos islands and links them together is a cool fashion.

Tropical Resort would have gotten a good mention if it actually bothered to introduce you to the game well. Alas, you're just foisted into it with no introduction and the level design just isn't all that great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tropical Resort would have gotten a good mention if it actually bothered to introduce you to the game well. Alas, you're just foisted into it with no introduction and the level design just isn't all that great.

Hey hey hey, it's Faaaat Albert!, come on now. This is about our favourites. Trying to keep the positivity in the air and all that. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite first levels?  This is gonna be tough but I'd have to say my favorites are:

Windmill Isle - Sonic Unleashed

whe.png

Sonic Unleashed is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played and Windmill Isle really shows this. This level is filled to the brim with detail and to top it off, the music is amazing and really fits this level. I also love being able to speed through the town.

Windy Hill - Sonic Lost World

sonic-lost-world-header.jpg

This zone is easily my favorite level in Sonic Lost World. It's just a joy to play with all the different paths you can take and I love using the parkour here. Also, the music is some of my favorite out of the first levels.

City Escape - Sonic Adventure 2

Cityescape.jpg

This level truly left an impression on me the first time I played. From Sonic snowboarding down the road to being chased by GUN's truck and the catchy music, it really pumped me up to play the game.

Palmtree Panic - Sonic CD

ppppresent.png

This level is my favorite first level from the classic games, and I just find it really fun to play. It looks great, and the theme from the Japanese soundtrack is great.

• Thumbs Up 3

Zone 3: Favorite Stage

*snip snip snip*

That's beautiful and all Mr. Rush, but you still haven't got the money that I asked for.

Well, out of the few Sonic games I've played, the top three contenders are...

Route 99

Route99.png

There's something about this stage that's kinda nostalgic, and it's got some pretty catchy music. It has a nice design (not referring to the level layout, mind you--poorly placed badniks and spikes everywhere!) and colors that are pleasing to the eye.

Tropical Resort

Sonic-Colours-Wii-Tropical-Resort-1.jpg

Again with the theme of catchy music and colorful surroundings, Tropical Resort is definitely among my favorites. It strangely captures both the feelings of being in a tropical area and being in outer space. While not having any story exposition, it's oddly satisfying just being dropped into the level first thing. (Well, not the case for the DS version [which is the only version I have since I don't have a Wii, but I played a bit of the Wii version at a friend's house], but you get my point.)

Emerald Coast

emeraldcoast.jpg

Possibly even more nostalgic to me than Route 99, Emerald Coast is easily among my favorite first levels. From the great music to the memorable being-chased-by-an-orca-and-destroying-the-bridge-behind-you sequence, this stage is a fitting introduction to the Adventure era. It captures the beach theme pretty well, too.

also spellcheck why are you saying i spelled orca wrong

Day 3: Favourite First Zones

The beginning of any of the Blue Blur's adventures goes to the very first zones, whether they are lovely green hills full of life, crowded cities and metropolises, or anything unusual, every single adventure Sonic and his friends have taken part in lies an importance of how these journeys begin. In every game these stages give their very best shot at how these adventures must begin, and most likely will leave a good impression on the players. With all that said, I am going to list at least 5 of my favourite first stages (in no particular order).

Green Hill Zone (Sonic The Hedgehog) - The very first zone that Sonic ever ventured in. Holding an incredible legacy throughout the series, Green Hill Zone's rich and characteristic scenario compounded of checkered soil, animated flowers, palm trees, bridges with waterfalls, loops and hills blends altogether perfect enough even to this day. And of course, who cannot forget the music played in this stage? Being the aforementioned first ever zone, Green Hill surely stands the test of time, as well as very nostalgic feel for many of us who played Sonic The Hedgehog back in 1991 (myself included!).

Angel Island Zone (Sonic The Hedgehog 3) - Sonic 3 & Knuckles holds as a game with possibly the greatest storyline in the classic series. And the way such an adventure begins in Sonic 3 is one to never forget either! Landing in Angel Island right after the events of Sonic 2 and being greeted by Knuckles which steals your Emeralds, such a dramatic turn of events indeed! But after the drama, you venture into an incredibly big jungle in search of Dr Eggman. Then halfway through the stage... HOT DAMN! Everything is down to absolute hellfire! Gives you the impression that Eggman is up to some really serious business, and an incredible way to start an adventure indeed.

Emerald Coast (Sonic Adventure) - His grand transition into the Dreamcast era was met with the also grand title Sonic Adventure. Emerald Coast is (past your very first boss battle Chaos 0 of course) the invitation letter to how well the Sonic series transitioned into the full 3D platforming genre. Running and dashing on the beautiful coast, jumping into robots and treading on the lighthouse, all while being chased at times by a killer whale. Good enough start for an epic adventure which left many of us (myself included) impressed at the time. Oh, and if Sonic Adventure marked the transition of the series into the full 3D platforming series, so was its musical style with Jun Senoue's incredible composition, and the Emerald Coast tune is a very notable piece to testify such improvement.

City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2) - If Sonic Adventure marked a brilliant start of the Blue Blur in the Dreamcast era, Sonic Adventure 2 took a further step into how to begin a new and epic adventure, with City Escape being responsible for making such start possible. Sliding down the streets on a makeshift board at full speed while pulling off stunts and tricks, experiencing for the first time Sonic's grinding abilities, being chased by the crazy G.U.N. truck... all while singing along to Escape From The City. The end of the Dreamcast era couldn't have been finished better without Sonic Adventure 2, and City Escape is probably (without disregarding the rest) the most memorable stage in the entire game.

Windmill Isle (Sonic Unleashed) - Unleashed's first stage, Windmill Isle, is gorgeous. Gorgeous, beautiful, incredibly appealing to the eye, and let alone incredibly fun to play as well. Directly inspired from the Greek island of Mykonos, Windmill Isle will make you run, dash and blast through incredibly gorgeous settings, from the sun-drenched white streets and houses to grinding on the rails well above the sea, all while its lovely and relaxing piece composed by Tomoya Ohtani blends into this incredible first zone. A gorgeous first zone for an incredibly start to an epic world adventure.

Hmmm... yes, I said the word 'gorgeous' many times while describing Windmill Isle, but hey, isn't it just... GORGEOUS~? *___*

That's beautiful and all Mr. Rush, but you still haven't got the money that I asked for.

I dropped it when I jumped out of the helicopter while being awesome.

I dropped it when I jumped out of the helicopter while being awesome.

And now you're going to get it back, or else the frog gets it.

#3: Favorite First Stages?

The sixth generation had it going on with this.

Emerald Coast (Sonic Adventure)

wg-sonic-adventure-3.jpg

Bright. Colorful, Action-packed, and (unlike it's retarded cousin Wave Ocean) actually fun.  This level was the perfect introduction to 3D Sonic platforming.  The music was pretty nice too.

City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2)

320px-Cityescape.png

This level has been praised again and again throughout the years... and it's easy to see why.  Great level design, an awesome first part that involves streetboarding down the streets of San Francis-er I mean Central City, Grind rails, trick ramps, a reference to Speed Highway (another great level), one of the best musical tracks in series, and of course the epic truck race.

It also got one sweet remake in Sonic Generations!biggrin.png

Neo Green Hill Zone (Sonic Advance)

Neo_Green_Hill.png

With a lil bit of Emerald Coast mixed in, this modern take of Sonic's first level is bright, fast, and fun.  The music's great (Act 2's in particular being one of my favorite tracks in the series) and its design is quite wonderful.  

• Thumbs Up 1

And now you're going to get it back, or else the frog gets it.

I'm here to kick ass and find Froggy.

And I'm all out of ass.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm here to kick ass and find Froggy.

And I'm all out of ass.

Good, because this is Rated E For Everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite first levels?

Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Angel Island and Mushroom Hill are all very nice levels to get into and have great music to get you all excited into playing the game. But I prefer Angel Island since it was more cinematic then the other 4.

Emerald Coast, City Escape, Seaside Hill/Ocean Palace, Westopolis

All 4 were pretty good, Westopolis being the weakest obviously, the first 2 being really good and Seaside Hill was really nice as well but if I were to choose. It's a tie with Seaside Hill/City Escape since both were also very cinematic and full of action so yeah.

Wave Ocean, Windmill Isle, Tropical Resort and Windy Hill

Wave Ocean is a weaker Emerald Coast so that's out. It's an alright level but doesn't stand out very well. Tropical Resort looked really cool and had nice music but it didn't "click" with me if you know what I mean. I liked both WI/WH since Windmill Isle was a nice setup to the Boost gameplay and Werehog gameplay, short but had enough length to them. Windy Hill was really cool since it does a decent enough job with the Parkour and it's just a joy listening to the music while playing the level.

Handheld levels, let me see?

The Game Gear levels weren't that appealing to me so yeah none of them were my favorite personally.

Neo South Island, Leaf Forest, Route 99

Leaf Forest was alright since it is a pretty cool level that introduces the gameplay, the Boost Mode, tricks and etc. But like Tropical Resort, it doesn't click. I prefer NSI and R99 since they were nice fun levels that had some length to them but were a joy to play!

I prefer Plant Kingdom over Leaf Storm since Rush Adventure had better level design over its predecessor but Right There, Ride On is pretty cool to listen to.

For other games, like the Storybook series or Rivals series. I liked Misty Lake and Blue Palace since Misty Lake had that atmosphere that takes you in the game whether it was the music or the fog. Really nice level! Blue Palace was great but that's probably because it's my first level I played but listening to Race to Win gets so pumped up, that it makes you wanna go fast and win the game.

So yeah my thoughts on Day 3!

My favorite first levels?

*every first level*

So yeah my thoughts on Day 3!

So, all of them? guess that works tongue.png

So, all of them? guess that works tongue.png

Not really, I prefer others over some and I forgot to mention Palmtree Panic. It's a bright colorful level, lots of items to find and explore and such cheery music. A nice level as well.

Favorite 'first level', eh? Well then...

5: Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1; 16-bit): I’m sorry, but I can’t not mention the level that started a legacy. I love everything about this stage. From the checkerboard hills, to the loops, to the amazing music, to the very layout itself. A fitting first level and an even more fitting beginning for this awesome series.

4:Leaf Storm: (Sonic Rush): Let me start off by saying; that music. That music. That music was one of the best things about Sonic Rush and to have ‘Right There, Ride on’ playing while racing through what I believe to be one of the best levels in a handheld Sonic game? Simply amazing.

3: Emerald Coast (Sonic Adventure): The series needed some way to introduce Sonic into 3D and boy does this stage deliver. I mean, where else do you have a giant whale smashing up the dock as you run along it? Well, there is 06’s Wave Ocean and Generations 3DS remake of this stage, but I found the original did it the best. Not to mention that the music is a nice mix of both soothing and catchy.

2: Angel Island Zone (Sonic 3): Yes, this stage. This amazing stage. It starts out with Sonic getting his super form freaking punched out of him by a certain echidna who from that point on was going to become a major player in future games. Then, almost a minute into the level, the whole place is set ablaze by one of Eggman’s machines. And once you have braved the inferno, you find yourself in a battle against the good doctor himself, with a nice waterfall backdrop… only for the ironically chuckling echidna to send you plummeting below, where you end up in the water-logged Hydrocity. Again, it’s amazing.

Honorable Mention: Leaf Forest: (Sonic Advance 2): Of the Advance Trilogy, I find that Advance 2 had the best stages, and its first one is certainly no exception to this rule. It was fast-paced, had awesome music, and all and in was a great stage.

And that just leaves my favorite first level, which is...

1: City Escape: (Sonic Adventure 2): Sonic Adventure 2 was the very first game I ever played in the series, so City Escape was what introduced me to Sonic’s world in the first place. So it gets points for the nostalgia value. But more than that though, I feel that out of all the ‘first levels’ in the series, this is the one that most embodies Sonic. You get thrown right into the action, snowboarding down the street, before flying off and continuing on in a fast-paced run from the law, grinding down rails, doing tricks off ramps and smashing robots, all while the highly catchy ‘Escape From the City’ plays. And then the GUN truck comes to chase you down. I tell you, playing this game for the first time at eleven and seeing that particular part just blew me away. And then Generations had to come and make it better. I may not be the biggest fan of SA2, but City Escape will always, always hold a special place in my heart.

It’s fast.

It’s fun.

And it is, pure, unadulterated Sonic.

Favorite First Zone. Alrighty then...

Angel Island Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles):

242px-Angelisland101.png

Oh yeah, Angel Island Zone. Without a doubt, one of my all time favorite first zone in the Sonic series. I love exploring the lush and colorful environments of the jungle, fighting Badniks and discovering some secret areas. Everything seems so nice and peaceful as you’re running through. That is until you meet the boss of the first act and then… BAM!!! The whole jungle is engulfed in flames! The bastard gets away and now we have to make our way through the fiery jungle and catch him! Also that act 1 music is so beautiful to listen to. It’s a shame that the first act has to get toast; I wanted to see more the first act’s lush environments.

Neo Green Hill Zone (Sonic Advance):

410599-sonic_adv_18_super.png

This has got to be one of definitely one of my favorite first zones. I love the music that creates the atmosphere for this stage. It makes me feel like we’re having a wild beach party on a faraway island. I’m kind of a sucker for tropical-style music in video games. This zone definitely has elements of Green Hill Zone with its checkerboard soil, but to me, it also has a fresh feel to it.

City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2):

Sonic5--article_image_%281%29.jpg

Love this stage. Love the music that plays. And love the intense high speed action as I’m snowboarding down the streets of Not!San Francisco, doing tricks off from ramps and evading arrest from G.U.N. bots. I found myself coming back to this stage a lot What else is there for me to say about? This is one of my favorite first zones in the Sonic series. Also, who else could ever forget this crazed motherfucker? You’re just moseying on your way through the rest of the city with not a care and as you’re about reach the end, then suddenly… BOOM!!!

T7jyoh.jpg

This fuck relentlessly chases you through the streets until you can finally lose him. It was certainly a heart pounding moment from me and something I always remember from this level.

Tropical Resort (Sonic Colors):

320px-Walkthrough_003a.jpg

Coming into Sonic Colors is Tropical Resort; I didn’t usually come back to this level a lot, but looking back I can appreciate the things going for this stage. Running around in an interstellar amusement park at blinding speed is always a pleasure to have. The funky vibes this stage gives off with its temple-like structures and Ferris wheels with of course the speed and platforming sections. I also like the view of Earth in the background while going through this level. I also love the act themes of Tropical Resort, especially the 16-bit remix, I always find myself bobbing my head or humming to the electronic funky tunes. It’s that good, I felt so bad for under appreciating this stage.

And last but not least…

Green Hill Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog, 1991):

Many_facial_expressions_from_this_fan_co

C’mon there’s no way in hell I could leave out the zone that started it all. This zone is iconic for its checkerboard soil, lush environments, speed, platforming and off course; that iconic music theme. This was THE zone that I think we all remember playing and this zone would later bring inspiration for later first zones in the Sonic series. I wish I could say more about this stage, but it’s Green Hill Zone and that’s all it matters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 3: Favourite First Level(s) to Go Fast and Destroy Robots

When it comes to platformers, the First Level is very important. In some ways, it has to sum up the experience this game is going to give you, but at the same time, leave you wanting more. All the levels I'm gonna list give me that feeling, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to explain why.

[Omochao voice] Clicking each level's name brings you to the music for that level!

-> Angel Island
Act 2

Angelisland101.png
Let's run right into that Rhinobot!

Due to Sonic 3 being my first Sonic game, this was the first place I ever went fast and destroyed robots. That alone makes it dear to my heart, but otherwise? It really is a good level. There's a decent amount of extra paths that Tails and Knuckles can easily reach, but with Sonic you need to get a bit clever and use the shield powers. I can think of only one where he can't get through at all: a spot with spikes on the walls on each side that only Tails can progress through.

Anyhow, it's a good introduction to the game. It's simple, as a first level generally is, but there's plenty of paths and a few secrets here and there. Unlike Sonic 2, you can't get every single Emerald, since there's...I think only three or four Giant Rings? Pretty sure it's four. That's still a lot, mind you, and I'm almost certain that it's possible to have all the Emeralds by Hydro City.

And yeah, the transition from "green jungle level" to "green jungle level ON FIRE" was cool.

I also like Mushroom Hill a lot. I used to not care for it for some reason, but I warmed up to it recently.

-> City Escape

Sonic5--article_image_(1).jpg
Pictured: the true hero of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. Also, Sonic's there. Get out of Omochao's spotlight, hedgehog! 

This was the second first level in a Sonic game I experienced, so it was essentially my first experience with 3D Sonic the Hedgehog...err, aside from the Special Stages which don't really count. And, frankly, I loved it. It's hard to think about Sonic at all and not be reminded of this level.

Now, admittedly, it's very linear--it's a level in Sonic Adventure 2--but that's not really a negative for me, personally. I find the speed levels a blast to play through, even if you generally don't have many options to do something different each time. With moments like the G.U.N Truck chase, it's not that bad, but that's just me. Indigo summed it up, really. It's just a rush from start to finish. It's wonderful.

It's also...the only "pure city level" I can think of that's also the first level, aside from Route 99, Westopolis, and Windmill Isle (the latter, like City Escape, at least has some grassy areas, tho'). It's an interesting rarity, in that regard.

-> Tropical Resort
Act 2
Act 3

Tropical_Resort_-_Screenshot_-_(4).jpg
Okay but this place was really good looking. I would literally make out with this level, if it was possible.

THAT MUSIC. Because of...the version I dared to play of Unleashed, Colours was the first Sonic game since Heroes that I didn't have any major problems with...gameplay-wise, I mean. Sure, I found some enjoyment out of ShTH, and I enjoyed Secret Rings and Black Knight and various handheld games, but for a long time, main series-wise, I wasn't really satisfied.

Then I'm just thrown into Tropical Coast Act 1. Like the other boost games, the controls are kind of awkward for me, especially now that I'm not as big on them as I used to be. But last time I played Colours, I still enjoyed this as a first level. There's only one Act that I don't care about--the one with the floating guys who throw the spikes at ya--while the rest are still pretty fun to me.

It's pretty cool in the DS version too, though with more water for...some reason?

I dunno if I can count it as one of my absolute favourites anymore since, like I said, I'm not as invested in the 3D boost games anymore, but eh. It's still a good level.

-> Plant Kingdom
Act 2
(Sonic Rush Adventure)

SonicPlantKingdom.png
What is this, Mushroom Hill?

Now, I've only played SRA through, uh...not quite legal means, since I've honestly never been able to find it in stores for some reason. Playing it with a keyboard is painful.

Anywho, I enjoy this level a lot, and it's got a pretty fun first level. It starts out in a beachy area but gets progressively greener, which makes sense considering the game takes place in a bunch of islands. There's bouncy mushrooms and plenty of springs and rails to introduce you to the mechanics of the tricks, in case you haven't played the first Rush.

It kind of reminds me of Mushroom Hill at times because of the giant mushrooms...come to think of it, it had swinging vines, like Angel Island. Huh.

-> Toxic Caves

WAIT NO HEAR ME OUT.

SpinballToxicCaves.png

I really like it when Sonic games have a level or two that isn't quite something you see often in Sonic. Heroes has haunted house levels, for example, a level trope we very rarely see. And Toxic Caves, the first level of Sonic Spinball, is very unique from every other first stage. For one, can you think of another game that starts with a cave that's basically a sewer? Second...um...that's all I've got.

Seriously though, a main series Sonic game with a sewer level would be cool. Who cares if sewers aren't supposed to be really big enough to be a platforming level!!

Also I really like the music.

...Too bad I don't really like Spinball as a whole.

Some honorable mentions:

Green Hill gets a mention for being Green freaking Hill.

There's also Emerald CoastA bunch of people beat me to this one, it seems. It's not at the top of my list, but it's certainly a great first level, and I do love it a lot. Plus, the music in both parts is awesome. Adventure's music is awesome. Please listen to Sonic Adventure's music.

Seaside Hill is okay (and Ocean Palace is awesome).

Seriously though, a main series Sonic game with a sewer level would be cool. Who cares if sewers aren't supposed to be really big enough to be a platforming level!!

I'll save everyone else the trouble and beat them to it by pulling the familiar "Casinopolis had a sewer section" card.

(But yeah, I agree. I wouldn't mind something reminiscent to Crash Bandicoot 2's sewer levels.)

2wasy0y.gif

I mainly like this level because of the changing pallets and the dorky sounding music. Knuckles hitting the switch in act 2 over and over also makes me laugh. It's otherwise a pretty hold-righty kind of level, but most first levels in Sonic games aren't that special to me so I'm just throwing one out here. It feels less of a chore to play than Angel Island too, which is a cool level thematically but I tend to get pretty bored of playing it these days.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll save everyone else the trouble and beat them to it by pulling the familiar "Casinopolis had a sewer section" card.

(But yeah, I agree. I wouldn't mind something reminiscent to Crash Bandicoot 2's sewer levels.)

Yeah, that's true, I forgot about that. It's been a while since I actually played the Adventures, since I don't have any method off doing so at the moment.

My favorite first level will always  be Emerald Coast, mainly for the music and the general atmosphere, since I believe that thiswas the first beach-themed Sonic opening level?

For some reason, Emerald Coast always gives me that whole 'YEAH SONIC IN 3D'S GONNA BE AWESOME!' vibe with the first section, the music and the whale chase. It prepared me for the the spectacle that was Sonic Adventure in the same way Bob-Omb Battlefield from Mario 64 eased me in the game with exploration and alright music.