Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Egg pawns are adorable! I didn't like them in Heroes, because they were used way too much but when they returned in Sonic Colours I always thought it was a cute idea to have them wearing hats and things themed on every stage. X3

But my other favourite badnik is this one, Madmole!

Sonic3%26K_Badnik_Madmole.PNG

I dunno why but to me this guy is really funny and cute. The way he just suddenly pops up and chucks a mushroom at you was always amusing because of the way it bounces you back (with no damage taken either!), but I was never quite sure what it was until recently. I always thought it was a silly little gnome, not a mole! I was glad to see them make a return in SLW too, which surprised me. Madmole is the best!

• Thumbs Up 6

Sonic3%26K_Badnik_Madmole.PNG

I dunno why but to me this guy is really funny and cute. The way he just suddenly pops up and chucks a mushroom at you was always amusing because of the way it bounces you back (with no damage taken either!), but I was never quite sure what it was until recently. I always thought it was a silly little gnome, not a mole! I was glad to see them make a return in SLW too, which surprised me. MadMole is the best!

Fun Fact: I like to pretend that the Madmoles are hecklers, so whenever they show up, I always make jeering noises.

• Thumbs Up 8

This is a pretty easy question for me:

egg_pawn_by_knightshroudg-d6z3z85.png

Yes, the ever-lovable Egg Pawn; introduced in the questionably popular Sonic Heroes. I love em cause they are the perfect expression of the bad old doc himself, showing off his ego (who designs a robot after himself?), his, propensity for the dramatic (would you wear bright orange in a combat zone?), and his horrible employer tendencies (when aren't they deployed in droves?).

• Thumbs Up 7

This all the way.

iiBI84NivMFFc.gif

There's few experiences in Night time Unleashed acts that are more hilariously cruel than setting Rexes and Nightmares aflame and watching them running around with their asses on fire.

#ded

Even more hilarious is when one of the emblazoned enemies runs into you and sets you on fire, causing you to drop the Egg Flame so it can go back to doing pirouettes while everyone on the field is running around on fire like chickens with their heads cut off. It's so pants-on-head stupid to watch that I can't even get mad at the health loss you take from it. There is some genuinely hilarious shit in that game.

• Thumbs Up 7

My favorite Badnik? Pretty easy for me actually. The Egg Robos from, you guessed it, the best Sonic level ever -- Sky Sanctuary!

I always thought that their design really stood out from the vast majority of enemies introduced over the years. Probably because they're the ones most closely modeled after Eggman himself. It also helps that the first time you see them they're pouring out of the newly revived Death Egg and start taking over the place.

I also can't for the life of me think of any other Badniks that had the nerve to pilot Eggman's own machines in order to prevent the progress of the player character. That's fucking awesome.

• Thumbs Up 7

#ded

Even more hilarious is when one of the emblazoned enemies runs into you and sets you on fire, causing you to drop the Egg Flame so it can go back to doing pirouettes while everyone on the field is running around on fire like chickens with their heads cut off. It's so pants-on-head stupid to watch that I can't even get mad at the health loss you take from it. There is some genuinely hilarious shit in that game.

I laughed really hard - I never paid too much attention to it at the time but now that I recall it, I just can't get over it. I need to get my hands on this game again. It's been far too long...

• Thumbs Up 3

My favourite badnik would probably be the Motobug. Sure, they might be the easiest enemy in the series and have a really simple design, but I like them.

• Thumbs Up 1

#ded

Fun Fact: Whenever I saw them hopping away like that, I was always reminded of the Chain Chomplets from Pianta Village in Mario Sunshine.

Dunno why though.

Egg_Robo_3.png

Never really thought about it, but if I had to pick a favorite I'd definitely go with this guy. Dude was a friggin badass. He shows up over and over in Sonic & Knuckles just to get in your way, and ominously stands there on the end screen if you screwed up at getting the Chaos Emeralds.

Not really sure what else I can say, he's cool. Looks cool too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 1: Badniks.

Rexon.png

Rexon

Resident badass of the Hilltop Zone. He was never the most effective of badniks, never posing the threat of say a slicer, or an asteron, but his cool design and his percent for chilling out in the Lava pits always made my day. Plus, after his pesky head was dealt with, this guy literally became a part of the stage. That rump of his made for a handy stepping stone to cross a daunting gap.

They are also expertly designed for their stage. The trolley cars that hang above the Hill Top Zone can make seeing the ground beneath more trouble than its worth. These guys with their long necks serves as pretty handy landmarks. Giving you a sense of grounding in an otherwise vertigo stricken stages.

Form and function. Beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 4

S1ee_motobug.png

I'm gonna go with the rather not-so-special choice and say Motobug. I dunno, they've always come off as sorta cute to me, and they have a simple yet appealing design. It's so awkward yet adorable how they try to hit you with their tiny pincers, the big eyes and (abeit sharp) buck teeth also accentuate it. xP

Egg_Pawn_concept_%28Sonic_Generations%29

The Egg Pawns are also one of my favorites, but everyone's said what I've wanted to say about them at this point. They have so much personality despite not being able to speak, and like I said with the Motobug, their designs are simple, yet appealing. Hell, they don't look menacing at all, they look goofy. I've also liked some of the variations of them, such as the giant metal brutes in Heroes/Rush.

• Thumbs Up 3

Know what was one of my first Sonic games I've ever played? Sonic and Knuckles. And the Badnik I loathe. Zone one, Mushroom Hill.

When you see him, you die before you can even scream.

Dragonfly.png

I fucking hate the Dragonfly. But don't get me wrong.

It's by far my favourite Badnik next to the Motobug. I don't know, it's kind of "I hate you so much that I love you." I remember dying a lot to it while I was a kid, but after getting older, I realized he's actually quite easy to beat. You need rhythm to kill him. You need /skill/ or else you'll lose rings and probably die. I love it. 

And then he returned in Lost World. Ugh. 

• Thumbs Up 4

[ Day 1 : Favorite Badnik ]

Starting with the honorable mentions.  

Motobug.png

[ Motobug ]

In addition to being the first enemies you see in the series, he's also just an adorable little scamp.  His cute little "Watch out!  I'll getcha!" face is just squee-inducing!  His reintroduction in Colors is highly welcome.  There was something awesome about being chased down by Motobugs only to knock them off the side of Jupiter.

Sonic-Colours-motobug!!.jpg

S1ee_caterkiller.png

[ Caterkiller ]

Look at that derpy little face!  It's precious!  And the pun in his name is that 90's brand of cheesy that I just absolutely gush over.  Last but certainly not least, he's the only enemy that can you kill you even after he's dead!

I think my favorite, though, has to be...

Grounderartwork.png

[ Grounder (as he appears in Sonic 2) ]

I don't know what it is, but I find that drill nose to be so great.  XD  Something about Grounder is so cute, but also he happens to be the biggest source of disdain for me.  It's like you see him, but you're always going so fast that sometimes you're helpless to keep yourself from falling victim to him to his surprise attack!  It's like the game is punishing you for being fast... and that's what makes him such a great badnik to me. ^^

• Thumbs Up 6

I was going to do a detailed post about this asshole here:

Orbinaut_in_LBZ.png

And how, after 3 games of him tormenting you (most blatantly in Sonic 1), it was nice to finally be able to consistently wipe him out once you learned how. And the act of pulling it off smoothly and consistently, not missing a beat in your forward progress making you feel good, to boot; showing a true ability to master one of the skills most people never bothered to use in favor of just using a lightning shield or whatever. And so on and so forth.

Day 1 of PRESIDENT CROW'S Sanic Crusade!

tumblr_lg28r1cmQi1qelw8lo1_1280.jpg

Scratch and Grounder!

I absolutely love Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, to the point that its my favorite Sonic anything. Scratch and Grounder will always be my favorite duo of the series because they're so damn lovable. They constantly struggle to get Robotnik's attention and while proving their worth. They do try their best at catching that blue rodent but unfortunately Sonic always manages to trick the two into falling into their own trap every single time. They also have a bit of a rivalry going on as well, trying to prove which one Robotnik likes better. While they may be bumbling robots who face a lot of abuse but they're just so entertaining to watch. They're some of my favorite Sonic characters ever and I can't help but gush on how amazing they are.

Except I'll just say Scratch and Grounder from AoStH instead.

• Thumbs Up 8

Probably the Egg Pawns and Egg Fighters. They have a lot of personality to them and come off as more than simple enemies to destroy. Indeed, Eggmanland's hub world makes you... wonder the moral implications of killing the latter since they apparently have some degree of consciousness.

What I really enjoy overall is that they like to taunt you when they score a hit. They aren't just programmed to hit Sonic, they actually show joy at doing their master's will when they sock him on the nose.

...I think it was those two that do that, anyway.

Then you have the absolutely ludicrous manner they conduct themselves at times. The Egg Pawns' outfits are no secret, but the Egg Fighters attack by BREAKDANCING.

==

More along the classic line, however...

I guess the Egg Robo? They look like actual foot soldiers rather than deadly toys. It makes Eggman's faction seem more like a genuine Empire than a mad man with a repressed childhood and 300 IQ.

If we're allowed to go into the more alternate canons... (though they have appeared in Chronicles), I'd say SWATbots. They really help with the more totalitarian side of Eggman's personality and are a good foil to the completely goofy look his forces often take.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1: Favourite Badnik

If there's one thing I like about the Badniks in general is how tremendously varied they are. Hundreds of Badniks have been featured all across the series, from the Buzzbombers, the Caterkiller, the Penguinator, or even the lovable Egg Pawns just to name a few. There's always bound to be a favourite amongst many of these li'l menancing creatures whose utmost goal is to try stop Sonic.

But if there's one Badnik I have always liked throughout the series it's... the Motobug.

Motobug.png

Yep. This metal beetle greeted Sonic at the start of his very first adventure, and left an iconic impression since then. Simple design, albeit simple to defeat, yet might be threatening if you are reckless! I can honestly say that the Motobugs, in terms of the iconic impact they left in the franchise, are Sonic's equivalent to the Goombas featured in the Super Mario series .

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 1: Favourite Badnik

Man, this is like picking your favourite child, but it would probably have to be the Egg Fighter series of robots from Unleashed.

SU_Egg_Fighter.png

I've always had a soft spot for these guys. I think of them as the successors to the Egg Pawn robots. They may look more serious but they're still as wacky as their older brethren.

For example, in the night stages for Unleashed, if they spot the Werehog, they throw and wave their arms in the air like mad men as if they were saying "HEY, GUYS! HE'S OVER HERE, HE'S OVER HERE! GET 'IM!". Their over-the-top animations really help bring them to life.

I actually liked them because in Unleashed's Hub for Eggman Land you can talk to some of them. The funny part is that they don't realize they are talking to Sonic, with some mentioning about them trying to eliminate him.

But really, I like the Motobugs. They are pretty much iconic badniks and it would be confusing to have a classic sonic game without them.

• Thumbs Up 2

But in the "love to hate" category, can't go wrong with Slicers.

180px-Slicer.png

Kill it. With love. <3

Kevin_Screaming.gif

KILL IT WITH FAIYA more like!

I think I'm going to mention this one once we get to the worst badnik. >=T if there's a day for that.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'll mention him again should the situation arise, but just in case there isn't a "Worst Badnik" day...

S4_Newtron_Sprite.png

Fuck this little shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 1: Favorite Badnik

IT'S THIS MOTHERFUCKER

put_together_the_wrong_way_by_coralstrik

Artwork courtesy of my friend Strudels aka CoralStriker.

HEY REMEMBER IN SONIC 3K WHEN THIS FUCKER STARTED CHASING YOU AROUND AND WRECKING YOUR SHIT

YEAH

IT WAS AWESOME

I'm counting Mecha Sonic as a badnik due to his appearance in S3K being relegated to Sky Sanctuary Zone, mainly. He's a tough adversary with an intimidating design, and is just a really cool idea for a boss. His boss encounters were all different in some way, and I think they offered a lot of variety from each other. If he doesn't count as a badnik, then...

I dunno, Rhinobot?

180px-Sonic3%26K_Badnik_Rhinobot.PNG

He's pretty cool too, although he can be pretty aggravating at times.

Rhino.

• Thumbs Up 6