Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Question #8: What are your favourite ON-LAND Robotnik bases... APART from Eggmanland?

And I continue to play catch up...

Favorite Eggman bases...? A few that pop to mind, in no particular order:

1) Mad Gear Zone:

Rollover_gear_on.png

Some kind of unholy union of Scrap Brain Zone and the infamous Metropolis Zone, but with a pretty sweet soundtrack and a few interesting gimmicks. One thing I liked about Sonic 4: Episode I in general are the gimmicks as I felt they were pretty well thought out. It made the game a little more unique even if that game mostly copped a cheap feel on the nostalgia.

I also just like this place aesthetically. The color scheme is mostly made up of greens and blues with a splash of orange to complement them, so it's quite easy on the eyes. To me this level also just brought together the best of both worlds for Scrap Brain and Metropolis, though I could've done without the cheapshot badniks...

2) Final Egg

Sadx17.png

OK, now I'm sorta copying other people's answers here... but it's actually a pretty memorable stage. With Gamma, it's used to train and get used to the new mechanic and character, and it's set up very well to do that. It's like a tutorial stage without really being one. The music for both sections is also quite memorable, first with this joint, which just feels you just stumbled into this crazy, sadistic factory lined to the walls with effigies of our heroes and swarming with badniks just waiting to be unleashed on the world... and then the intensity kicks up (if you're Sonic) as you run through a the actual base trashing all the badniks in your path to get to this guy...

SA1_EggViper.png

The Egg Viper. One of Eggman's coolest looking mechs. Shit just got real. As a final showdown for Sonic and Eggman, it hits all the right beats, leading to Eggman to desparately do anything to take Sonic out... and then Sonic just sidesteps and denies Eggman his glory.

3) Reactive Factory

Reactive_Factory.jpg

So I like Sonic R. I've praised the level design a bunch in an earlier post, but let's talk about Reactive Factory.

Another great looking level, with lots of little paths and shortcuts, nooks and crannies. If it weren't for the controls, I think this stage would be even better to explore. It feels like the kind of place Sonic and friends would eventually track Eggman too, no doubt hidden away on some island while the doctor plans his next move. Oh, and it's home to one my favorite Metals:

Mecha_knckles.png

Such a shame this is his only (game) appearance. Metal Knuckles looked pretty sweet; imagine if you could've done more than racing him... Sorta wish Archie got some more use out of him too (and they might have if not for the legal mess, but anyone who knows me on these boards know how I feel about all that and this isn't the place), but hopefully he's back in the new continuity if Tails Doll is any indication...

And the music is probably my favorite on the soundtrack. It just gets me pumped up to do things. ...to the drawing board!

Day 8

I love me some Asteroid Coaster!

Particularly Act 6 and her soundtrack really put the foreboding "Final" into "Zone"!

Him as you guys know, my favorite is Nack. Well, I started with heroes, so I didnt even know of his existence till I got mega collection plus ultra a year later, and I guess he just started seeping into my consiencous. Guess my real fascination with him began when I got into the online community, and started readin the archie comics, along with getting sonic gem collection with sonic the fighters.

Nowadays needless to say hes my favorite due to his uique appearance, and sadlyy underutilized potential

I used to adore Knuckles. But around 2006/2007, I started to really take notice of Sonic. His portrayal in the games around this point really grabbed my attention. And then this came out;

Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings_coverart.png

It was SatSR that really started my adoration of Sonic as a character. I never really used to pay a lot of attention to Sonic. I neither hated him nor really adored him. To me, he was just...there. Knuckles was on the receiving end of my appreciation. But Sonic was portrayed so amazingly endearingly in SatSR that I started loving him instead. Sorry Knuxie but blue boy is on the receiving end of my attention these days :lol:

So regarding the question of how long it took for me to warm to my current fave character? 13 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah yes the fated question of who your favorite character is, well if any of you guys have paid attention to me in basically any discussion ive been on on this site it should be obvious but I'm gonna say right now that my favorite character is this guy right here:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/9834/343242-sonic_large.jpg

Sonic the oh so awesome hedgehog, this guy has always been my favorite ever since the day I first played sonic adventure on the dreamcast (demo tongue.png) I knew that I would love this guy the second I started to know the character more, from his snarky attitude, his live life free and fast motto, his super fast running speed and his way of taking out enemies and fighting style in general are just things ive always loved about him.

To me sonic has always been somewhat of a hero and a figure of respect in my life, I don't know how I would've got  by without him but he is basically my favorite character (and game franchise) in existence and I hope he stays around for a very long time or until the day I die.

Edit: by the way how do you get images to show up in the post, I thought it worked like the videos but apparently not.

Question #9: When it comes to your top favourite Sonic character, were you always a fan of him/her from the very beginning, or did it take a while before you warmed up to him/her?

Right now, Tails and Blaze are fighting each other for the top position on my favorites list.

Tails? I always loved the lil guy! He's just.. so adorable and sweet, and I just wanna pick him up and take him home with me! <3 While I might have the most Sonic plushies out of my entire Sonic Character Plush collection, I love and cherish my Tails plushies the most. I still sleep with one sometimes. x3

Blaze... I really have no idea, I think I always kinda liked her, and as time went on, I grew more and more fond of her. I dunno how to explain it. probably helped that's she's a Pyrokinetic kitty, and I've always been fond of the fire characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day #9: When it comes to your top favourite Sonic character, were you always a fan of him/her from the very beginning, or did it take a while before you warmed up to him/her?

Miles_Tails_Prower_Channel.gif

My favorite Sonic character has to be Tails. When I saw him for the first time, I immediately knew he'd be my favorite. He's an adorable kid genius and is Sonic's best friend; what else is there to say about him? Not to mention foxes are my favorite animal. Oh, and I was about Tails's age (around 9) when I got into the Sonic franchise, so I found him to be quite relatable. please crusher don't send me to crushatraz for complaining about tails in the special stages the other day

• Thumbs Up 1

Top Favorite Sonic Character:

tails_pic_1.jpg

Miles "Tails" Prower:

This cute little fox has been my favorite character from Sonic 2 onwards...I just found that trying to think of a favorite character it always boils down to Tails out of everyone else.

I've always been a fan of this little guy, his design was very appealing, he's very cute, and I like the sidekicks more than the main hero. Tails has always had a charming personality(He's smart, yet still very naive)and I've also always thought the way he looked up to Sonic was very adorable, because of how he just mainly tried to "be" like him, he even used his Tails as a way to actually keep up with the Blue Blur...but eventually stopped, though I also like the more snarky personality he's gotten in recent games it felt different. A very talented young kid, in both mechanics and Piloting...Its been interesting that Tails always found someway to help even though it couldn't be physical. I like drawing this guy...biggrin.png

I would say Sonic because he is the main character of the series and his design is so iconic it's easy to understand why he is one of the most famous video game characters of all time. Also, I adore him as a character. 

Long live blue hedgehog!

Oh and, I also like Tails, mainly because he is really cute.

mjh1xGN.jpg

I always liked Tails a lot, though less for character-related reasons and more because I think he's cute and I like playing as him. I liked him from the moment I first started playing S3, because I had never previously played a platforming game where I could have free-range flight. That's a thing I think Sega really needs to bring back in fact: these days, Tails is all about being a mechanical genius and shit when they're making it sound like he's incapable of anything else. "Hey kids, here's Sonic's best friend Tails! He can operate machinery and is a super smart nerd and rolls his eyes at Sonic's dumb jokes in his spare time! Oh btw sometimes he'll fly in like one cutscene every other game but that's not really important." I don't really care about what new invention Tails comes up with, I just want to see him fly and destroy robots with his tails and whatever. So I'm hoping that Sonic Boom picks up where Sega pretty much entirely forgot about what originally made Tails stand out from the rest.

That's not to say I want them to ditch his nerdy side or anything. I really liked how Tails Adventure made appropriate use of both his gadgets and his flight ability. Was definitely the best of both worlds, and no other game has seamlessly combined those two elements since. Regardless, whether he's an ace pilot or a FUCKIN' NERRRRD, Tails is just one cute cutie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #9: When it comes to your top favourite Sonic character, were you always a fan of him/her from the very beginning, or did it take a while before you warmed up to him/her?

I feel like my answer to this question changes a lot between 3, but if I had to settle on one answer...

Generations_moderntails2.png

It's Tails. I always played Tails in the 2 player games. Always. I didn't mind that I couldn't really keep up with my bro or anything- I didn't mind that I couldn't move on to the final zone. I guess I was just happy to be playing it. I was a kid then, but Tails has always had a special place in my heart for all that. 

I like his personality- some find him boring but I find his level-headed nature to be refreshing and needed, and I liked the brotherly relationship he and Sonic share. Also he can fly and airlift Sonic, and that is awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 9: Favorite Sonic character.

tumblr_inline_mqsgznjjcG1qz4rgp.gif

Sonic himself. I enjoy Sonic half-ironically, but I've liked him from the very beginning. Yeah, his games have seen...dips in quality, and in retrospect some designs were definitely trying too hard to be edgy, but the character himself and the memories associated with him are part of what makes this an enduring franchise. You'd have to be an icon as big as this to survive Sonic 06.

Some people knock on him for being a tryhard RADICOOL character, but in all honesty, I don't feel like that's been applicable for years. His current design was toned down in a lot of subtle ways to take the edge off. It makes him look cool but not cringe-inducingly edgy.

screen-7.jpg

Pffffffft, fuck no I didn't like them from the beginning.

Sit down kiddies, because VEDJ-F has a tale as old as time, one that you might have even heard before. Komodin was even there to witness it.

Once upon a time, I only the knew the classic games, so I grew attached to Tails, and this was not unwarranted; I had a huge inclination towards the cute, and abhorrence towards the brutish. This continued on with CTR, where I became attached to Pura the TIger, Polar and such like, and didn't like the ones who looked like baddies, Dingodile included. He's important.

So when I went back into the Sonic fandom after about 9 years, I went about researching, getting into the Archie comic before finding out about any games. On this journey of discovery, I found out about a character called called Charmy Bee. He was a sweet little prince, who had a nice friend in Mighty, and two other guys called Vector and Espio with him that, due to my experience with CTR, automatically went and disliked. 

This "dislike" continued on for many years, adding Komodo Joe there because of said bias (and the lot also had Sonic and Knuckles amongst my hated as well). Looking back, I must have had quite the attachment regardless because it did not die off, instead I just kept researching! I wanted to get the full scoop, devil be damned. Quite the dedication for a hater.

The first signs of my waning came about the middle of 2008 with the revelation that I was beginning to like Yoshi. I thought he was absolutely adorable, and I still do mind, but there was something about him that set him apart from the other cutesy characters that I couldn't quite place. For now though, it was ignored.

It was in the dying days of 2009 that I really began to search myself. I reflected on my over-half decade of my character interests and realised that cuteness wasn't the be all and end all for me now, I wanted something more substantial in my characters. I re-evaluated Sonic and Knuckles and...came to the conclusion that they just weren't that interesting to me. So I became completely neutral on them and they barely even register on my radar now.

I also re-evaluated Vector and Espio, and came to the conclusion that they were, in fact, interesting and lovable characters, far more than I thought most of the cast were (don't take that the wrong way, I like quite a lot of the others plenty too). Yes, they did treat Charmy like crap at times, but it wasn't because they were cute character bullies like I'd so narrow-mindedly fixed in my head, they were adults. They were trying to carry out important tasks, hold business conversations, they were behaving as any frustrated person would. On top of that, the idea of the alternate reptilian looks, behaviours etc became apparent and fascinating. And even on individual level, they worked well as individual characters, and even better as a duo since they complimented each other so well (I was first inclined to ship them in 2006 though, where a comic by Yuski played it for comedy and it actually felt natural to me. So now you know whose house to torch). 

Even with the epiphany, I was still reluctant to have anyone usurp Tails, who had been the one I had adored so fondly in my childhood. But then, with the release of Sonic Colours, I had to concede that Tails wasn't as appealing to me now as he had be years ago, and he slipped down to third, letting the reptile finally take the crowns I had denied them for eight years.

And that's the end of our tale. If you have any queries, please fill out the form and leave it in the enquiry box with your name clearly indicated on the paper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 9: How Long Did It Take You to Warm Up to Your Favorite Sonic Character

Hmmmmm...honestly? I generally don't think that much about my "favorite" Sonic characters. Well, as a kid, it would probably almost definitely have been Shadow because he's so cool and edgy and badass. I still think Shadow was quite good in SA2 and admittedly he was decent in 06. Really, though, how much I like this or that character generally depends on what game we're talking about. But I suppose if I were held at gunpoint, I would choose a character who really has grown on me quite a bit lately:

AmyRoseA2.png

AMY ROSE

I don't know, around my last playthrough of Sonic Adventure, I just sort of realized, I had never paid much attention to her before (so that would make it quite a few years :U). But really, I've grown to think Amy is awesome. She's adorable, she's badass, and, if written well, her obsession with Sonic can be...pretty FUNNY and endearing. Sonic Adventure was definitely her strongest portrayal, but even since then, she's usually been tons of fun. Even in Sonic 06, she was one of the less awful ones. Bottom line, Amy is great, and at the very least, one of my favorites.

• Thumbs Up 2

So many other people have the same answer I do. Watch out for unique answer central from me~!

Classic_tails.png

As most people, I started off adoring the old blue hedgehog the most. The attitude! The speed! The red shoes! But when I was introduced to Tails I had no idea who he was - this introduction was in Sonic Advance after all, rather than Sonic 2 traditionally. I was initially pretty indifferent to him until I began to see Tails in other forms of media. He soon presented to be a more useful, intelligent, adorable and highly skilled character to me in games and television, being more interesting than Sonic. Now whenever I go back to play any 2D game with Tails in I know that I'll have a blast due to his wide range of abilities. I just hope this fun can be adapted to 3D one day. 

Well, Sonic is my favorite Sonic character, but that's boring to talk about, so I'll choose my second favorite instead:

Sonic_Eggman.png

The good doctor himself.

I also chose Eggman because I hated him to begin with, which is completely understandable for a young child. Back then there were only two characters so, naturally, I hated the evil one and loved the good one. However, as times moved on and more characters were introduced to the roster, I found myself displacing my initial hatred for Eggman into some of the supporting roles (Amy, Big, Marine, and similar characters [excluding Cream, Cream is the bomb]). Also, when Sonic Adventure 2 rolled around we actually got to control the doctor, himself. By that point I came to realize that I didn't hate Eggman as much as I thought.

Then something wonderful happened. Mike Pollock happened. Ever since his debut in Shadow the Hedgehog, Pollock transformed the most evil villain in the Sonic universe into the most lovable evil villain in the Sonic universe. I'd say my love for Eggman is 70% Mike Pollock and 30% my increasing cynicism.

Alright, Day 9...

...well honestly I'm not sure who my favorite character is,,,Well I can say that right now my favorite character is proooooobably...

Knuckles_Sonic_Adventure.png

Good ol' Knuxter.

I liked him the moment I witnessed him because...well...I liked the color red A LOT back then...yeah, I was a simple kid...

Of course I get older and start to evaluate things from different perspectives.

So let's get started with the OVA.

300px-KnucklesMovie.jpg

The first time I watched this, I probably paid more attention to Knuckles than everyone else. Yeah, I was that obsessed with the color red Knux that I pretty much ignored...the entire movie. I still missed that pimpin' hat he wore...

Next I played SA2, and I loved Knuckles' character in that. Scott Dreier's Knuckles is still my favorite to this day. So chill and cool.

Afterwards, they kinda shifted Knuckles to the musclehead/dimwit kinda character. Do I hate it? No. They do give Knuckles some genuinely funny moments, like:

tumblr_mml9sxIWPa1s201hzo1_400.gif

Do I like it? At times. The act does kinda get overplayed a little, but not too much to detract from my overall enjoyment.

Do I miss chill Scott Dreier Knux? definitely.

But despite the personality shift, Knuckles is still my main man.

Into question 9. I'm certain my answer is expected...

ASR_Eggman.png

Who else? Of all characters in Sonic, Ivo Robotnik was one of the few to have that immediate appeal. Of all the mad scientists in fiction, Eggman was distinguished; he stood proud, laughing, a genius in command of his own robot army. The doctor is a true mastermind, who doesn't rely on magic tricks, reality warping, superpowers or anything like that to do incredible things, like building massive airships overnight, filling the world with secret bases, designing hundreds of robotic servants by himself, producing them en masse and yet always being ready to do it again. And all Eggman needed for those amazing achievements was his own intelligence and effort.

That's power. That's something that can never be taken away from him. It's in fact something shared by the only villain to top Eggman on my list, Lex Luthor, who stands amongst gods despite being only a normal human. And on that matter, Ivo is also brave. Normally you'd expect an emperor - and he truly has an empire beneath him - to sit back while someone else does the dirty work, but Robotnik doesn't do that. He's there in the frontlines, serving as the main (and often only) boss in Sonic games. That's part of what caused that instant click for me.

The duality between Eggman's charisma and evil has been present since day one and is part of what makes him so interesting. He has no problem with burning down an island or brutally enslaving entire populations of small animals... while at the same time laughing and narsicistically putting his joyful image everywhere. You can't help but like the guy no matter how much damage his plans cause.

And do they cause damage! Eggman isn't the kind of villain to pull the same thing every week. His plans are always different, always brilliant, and while at the end of the day they end up foiled by Sonic, always effective. I'd cite the ruthless enslaving of the Wisps and the willingness to unleash Chaos, but as this is about impressions from the beggining, we have to look no further than the original three games of the series. First he tries to take over South Island by putting its inhabitants into robot shells... didn't work? That's alright, because he already has the Death Egg in production as a potential planetary threat. That didn't work either? No problem, let's manipulate the guardian of an ancient artifact to acquire its power. Nothing? Doesn't matter, because he won't give up anytime soon.

And he truly won't. Robotnik always has a new scheme to try and succeed again, no matter how many times he fails. And every time he'll be brave, determined, charismatic, slightly goofy, because that's who he is. He is singular. He is unshakeable. He is Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not even entirely sure who my absolute favorite character is, honestly.

Out of my favorites, I've probably soured on them more than they've grown on me. Sonic and Knuckles, for example, have always been high on my list, but as I grew up and started expecting more from fiction, and as the writing in the series got worse, they stopped seeming "OMG SO AWESOME!!!" and became more "they can be cool...sometimes...".

The exception, I guess, is Eggman. I never really disliked Eggman, but he's probably the one classic character that's become better than I originally thought he was as the series became more story-focused. There's been hiccups, granted, like his constantly being one-upped by whatever monsters he released, but overall he's definitely gained from having a voice and proper animations as compared to his classic form, and he's definitely gone up on my list since the Genesis days because of it.

My favorite character?

main.png

This guy right here. The very character this series is named for.

Was Sonic always my favorite? No. I mean, I've always liked him, but for the longest time I was more a fan of characters like Tails and even Sally Acorn from the SatAM cartoon. It was only fairly recently that Sonic moved up into my number one spot actually, when I first played Sonic and the Black Knight a couple years ago. I was so impressed by the stellar way that particular game portrayed the character, and ever since then, I've seen Sonic in a different way. Now I love pretty much everything about him, from his kindheartedness and selfless demeanor, and even his flaws to an extent, like his arrogance and impulsiveness. After all, when written well, such shortcomings only serve to give him that much more depth. Sonic's my favorite character in the series and one of my favorite fictional characters of all time.

Always keep on running, Sonic. Always keep on running.

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess I'll be jumping on the Tails bandwagon here. I've loved him since the moment I saw him. Not only is he the cutest thing in the series, but he's also fun to play as. Sadly I've been starting to like him less recently, and while he's still my favorite character I'm worried that his Adventure persona has been permanently replaced with the one we have now...

legend_of_sonic_2_by_sonikku_chinn-d7c6i

Sonic is my top favorite character. Hes always been my favorite from the start when I play the Sonic games. When I first play with him in Sonic 2006 I notice him and I really like him. He was caring optomistic and he was always smiling. He forgive other characters and he has a good heart. in Sonic 2006 even thoug he didnt get alots of focus he was still the most heroic character in that game. Sense then I really love him and begin to look up to him. To me no one will ever come close to Sonic. No one compares to how amazing he is. Hes more than a cocky character. Theres more to him. Sonic has the biggest heart in the franchise. Hes the most caring and the most skillful. And he had to earn his respect and his skills.

DAY 9 Was your favorite character always your favorite?

imagejpg1-1.jpg

Ever since I've started playing SONIC in 95 or 96, I've always loved king boom boo. His creepy blue lips, his rainbow colored tongue, his ghostly wail, what's not to love?

Seriously though, my favorite then, now, and forever is...

Miles "Tails" Prower

imagejpg1-3.jpg

I love Tails, he's cute, smart, and has a really great heart.

I think what originally drew me to tails was how cute he was, and that he could fly. Not to mention I often played with my older brother and cousin, and as I was younger and not as good as them I usually played as tails.

I think now I'll list some of the things Tails has accomplished in some of the games.

SONIC 2

He helped sonic stop Robotnik and save the animals of westside island. Sonic would never have been able to get to Eggman's wing fortress without Tails, Sonic could've flown the tornado himself, but he wouldn't have been able to destroy the badniks, and one of them could've destroyed the plane. Thanks to tails' pilot skills sonic was able to stop Robotnik.

SONIC 3&KNUCKLES

Pretty much the same deal as 2.

SONIC ADVENTURE

Learns he can fight on his own, stops Robotnik's missle and destroys Eggman's egg walker, saving the people of station square.

SONIC ADVENTURE 2

Once again helps stop Robotnik and manages to save Amy twice, one of which inadvertently saves sonic from dying in the prison island explosion.

So those are just a few of tails accomplishments. He's an excellent mechanic, many of his inventions have helped save the day, (and the world), and I just love how brave he is at such a young age.

I still love Tails to this day, and I don't think I'll ever stop. I'm exited to see what's in store for him in boom.