Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Aww I didnt know robots counted or i would say Egg Pawns. they are so cute and they smile

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite badnik, eh? That's an easy one. Gotta go with my main man...

tlyM6jZ.png

Penguinator.

Look at how badass this guy is. Being based off the best animal, it only makes sense for him to be the best badnik, right? You're damn right I'm right. Guy's just chillin' out, walking left and right like the cool guy he is, but then he sees Sonic. He sees him with his cold, dead eyes and then...

bEuAaYm.png?1

BAM! He hits Sonic with that icy slide of his.

Rest in pieces, Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 3

Like many others have already said, I love Penguinator. I really love penguins and Penguinator just has such a cool yet quirky design. All Badniks should strive to be as cool as the Penguinator.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 1 - Favorite Badnik

Sonic_A01_Kiki.png

E-01 Baby Kiki was the most notable guy that came to mind.  Sonic Adventure is my most nostalgic game from my childhood, and these guys (along with most bots in that game) certainly kept the classic Robotnik robot feel while still upping the ante for the third dimension.  I guess I like this guy because it's cute, simple, and I had a toy of him as a kid.  So there's that.

• Thumbs Up 1

E-101 Beta Mk. II

E101mk2.jpg

Now, I differ from most people here. When it comes to badniks, everyone loves how diverse they are. I do too.

However, beyond that comes their appearance. Some people like their badniks cute and interesting; I prefer my top badniks effective and menacing. And that's where this guy comes in.

Looking at Beta Mk. II you can see him as one of Eggman's most combat effective robots. He has gauntlets that block laser fire while being able to slash at you, a laser blasters under the gauntlets that can cause widespread damage, and an arsenal of mini-missiles. And this bastard can teleport too! Why the fuck didn't Eggman mass produce this?!

• Thumbs Up 5

slicer.png

Slicers

Don't get me wrong, the thing is a complete pain in the backside but there's no better fun than playing torturous mind games with it once it's weapon is gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always liked Motobug's design. Something about it makes bopping it open feel good.

Aside from that, I also find Crabmeat cool. Especially in Lost World when it gained derpy little eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #1: What are your favourite Badniks?

408834_10150563390702418_23050342417_880

The Sandworms of Oil Desert. They're big, fast, and don't have a hit box at all. Heck, not even Super Sonic can destroy them!

• Thumbs Up 1

S1ee_bomb.png

This.

This is the visual representation of something you can't ever get a chance to destroy before it will destroy you.  Orbonaut can has it's spikes removed from it's body by outlasting, but this? No way. All you can do is run away and keep your distance and pray it doesn't hit you. The simple yet most effective weapon ever created in Eggman's army of Badniks.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sasori.PNG

This guy is no joke.

This guy is like, literally the most badass looking little thing Eggman has ever made. It's simple, it's sleek, and it's curvature in design and overall shape is just perfectly streamlined, it's so well constructed. It's mixture of sharp lines and smooth rounded surfaces is great, and the usage of the deep blue with the bright yellow and green is just so cool.

He also looks effective as heck. Pincers? Check. Roller thingys to keep up? Checkumundo. Blaster? Aww yeah, check. 

This guy's the best. You can't touch Sasori.

Unless you're Kiki or something. That's a nice one too.

God damn it I was gonna pick this one. This scorpion badass is awesome. It always reminds me of Drapion too, another badass scorpion that I've never had a chance to use in a Pokemon game because my Nuzlockes refuse to give me them grumble grumble.

I also really like Steelion, firstly for being a robotic walrus, and secondly for being an incredibly dangerous stage hazard. You do not fuck around with these guys or they just form massive ice bubbles and you're stuck. You assholes.

The Cop Speeders are great too, the sound they make adds to Speed Highway's atmosphere. They're not as prominent in the Generations version sadly, but they're still really awesome and there's a fuck ton that chase you down the building anyway. One of my favourite missions is the one with Classic where there's just nothing but Cop Speeders. Having that sound while you're in a shopping mall with that club-like music playing is GREAT.

• Thumbs Up 2

Asteron_in_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_4.png

Asteron's just humour me. They look so harmless, and then FUCK YOU; GET OFFSCREENED BITCH. But I always found in funny in this case. Not sure why.

• Thumbs Up 1

post-156-0-44019600-1396344061_thumb.png

I dunno, they have a very distinctive look. In a level where the environment is the more dangerous aspect, its almost a relief to see these strange things hanging around. But the main thing really is that I like their sound effect as they throw the spike. The sound effect fits in with Death Egg Zone, at least.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ohohohoh! This one is a doozy! But let's stay calm and aswer the question.

bbdu5we.png

The Penguinator!

"Come with me if you want to live"

(Totally said by this badnik)

Ok, let's start by saying that I love penguins. And this cool little guy charges at you by sliding on ice with the same force of a bullet. If you weren't Sonic or one of his friends, you would be dead by now. Do you hear me? You would be cold as ice!

• Thumbs Up 2

This is a cool question, because I never asked myself this.

But I think I agree with most people that I really like the Egg Paws, not just for their versatility but because they are also funny looking.

I see one with a bazooka or a death laser and think, Oh you are so cute with that, are you gonna kill me little guy? And then sometimes they actually do itbiggrin.png

So it's basically death via cute robot, which is brilliant. Obviously comes from a genius of 300 IQ.  

A close second, yup the Egg Fighters from Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

E-1001EggPawnConceptArtGenerations.png

Hmmmm. I think I might have elaborated on Egg Pawns before, but I think I will do so again.

I love all of the Badniks because it shows Eggman's egotistical side and his lofty god complex as part of the design - for example aside from being war machines and toys to the doctor, he believes he can improve on their original design hence the metaphorical organic animal being shoved into a robotic exterior that mimics natural organic life (we will not get to seeds or rings in this theory.) Frankly, despite being the villain he does care about the animals being shoved into the Badniks as seen in Lost World; for multitude of reasons (both as for the well being of his property and an actual care for them - something reflected in his line "I am a complicated guy.") Evil humanitarian indeed.

But Egg Pawns. Lets get to them.

Egg Pawns are to Eggman like Koopa Troopas are like to Bowser, grunts that reflect the image of the leader. While Koopas are a species that reflect Bowser, Eggman created Egg Pawns in his own image (again with the god complex ideal) which may or may not be a standing on an improvement of his own organic design - him. However we do know that it is a huge reflection in his vanity and narcissism, granting that the Pawn Series is the pinnacle in his egotistical desires. Unlike other badniks (most) Egg Pawns have a sort of "free will" and "sentience" compared to the animal/ring/plant powered mechanizations which are more than just slave drivers to power the feet of war. Egg Pawns are seen to him as highly customizable, playful things as indicated on his designs for them in every game since Heroes (be it bunny ears, sailor suits, musicians, samurai, ect.) Eggman may view them more as toys than as actual war mechs despite his knowledge that their quality fathoms as the lowest grunts produced. Seeing how he himself is in the design, Eggman may be reflecting himself into these creations which gives a new spin on his mad scientist/engineer edge.

The Egg Pawns seem to have an edge of personality compared to very few other Badniks on the field seem to merit - Egg Pawns seem to sleep and play and do regular things that sentient organics will do. And yet, despite this, Eggman keeps churning them out with the same sentience (albeit with loyalty no doubt.) Eggman may see these Badniks more as his actual children then the other creations (aside from Metal Sonic) which he exclaims gushingly to Shadow in Shadow the Hedgehog. He enthuses about how much he likes his robots.

Kind of makes you feel almost bad for planting your foot into their chrome head.

So yeah, Egg Pawns. Pawns in Eggman's game, but loved equally by him apparently.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite Badnik, huh...

Well, while I do like pretty much every Badnik out there (excluding the robots in Sonic '06, if they count as being Badniks), there's one that I always think back to nowadays: the simple Moto Bug. Specifically, as it looked in Colors and Generations.

MotoBugConcept.png

I just really love their "Modernized" designs here -- it's like a more futuristic (and less ridiculous) version of their Sonic 4 design, but done in a stylized enough way so as to not come across as jarring as the aforementioned Sonic '06 'bots. However, what I liked more was how they were used in Sonic Colors. Seeing these robots (that used to piddle about on their unicycle at walking pace) take off at high speeds in Starlight Carnival, Asteroid Coaster and Terminal Velocity was so cool to me, it's almost crazy! I mean, yeah, sure they were basically autorun sections, but the thought of these Moto Bugs actually keeping pace with Sonic himself just... gels with me, you know? If there's one thing that I was actually somewhat disappointed with Sonic Lost World, it's that they brought back the Genesis design of the Moto Bugs -- I mean, it's not bad, but it just doesn't beat how they looked in the "Boost Era" games.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sonic_Colours_-_01_Chef_Egg_Pawn.pngTrumpet_EggPawn.png

There's something that just makes you want to hug these guys. I always loved how it reflected Eggman's ego, as the robots had that kinda design going on for them.

The moment you see them waddle towards you, you just fall in love with them. However, they're not all cuddly and sweet. They come in packs and they could be quite deadly if they wish too.

I especially loved how Sonic Colours had so many different variants that was based on the locales, hope for these guys to return!

• Thumbs Up 4

E-101 Beta Mk. II

E101mk2.jpg

Now, I differ from most people here. When it comes to badniks, everyone loves how diverse they are. I do too.

However, beyond that comes their appearance. Some people like their badniks cute and interesting; I prefer my top badniks effective and menacing. And that's where this guy comes in.

Looking at Beta Mk. II you can see him as one of Eggman's most combat effective robots. He has gauntlets that block laser fire while being able to slash at you, a laser blasters under the gauntlets that can cause widespread damage, and an arsenal of mini-missiles. And this bastard can teleport too! Why the fuck didn't Eggman mass produce this?!

Maaaan I forgot all about the E-Series being a part of the badnik line. I would've chose this one in that case. Beta Mk II is so awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maaaan I forgot all about the E-Series being a part of the badnik line. I would've chose this one in that case. Beta Mk II is so awesome.

It was hard to chose between either him or the E-gunners of Sonic 06. Those were one of the very few things I liked about the game, but it was muddy whether to include the as badniks.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Favorite badnik

Silver metal sonic. I like the challenge of fighting a boss with no rings and for fun I like seeing how fast I can beat it

Surprisingly enough; if I really had to pick a favourite from so many greats, then my choice would not be Egg Pawns. We're known for our low self-esteem, you see.  Since I was first introduced to the critters in the original Sonic the Hedgehog, I consider its collective rogues galley to be the most iconic. Badniks like Crabmeat and Caterkiller were visually appealing and posed a decent challenge for the gaming novice I was at the time. To touch upon a couple that have yet to be mentioned in this topic:

Batbrain.png        Ballhog.png

Batbrain* and Ballhog! I loved Batbrain because I enjoyed bats and dungeons and spooky shit as a child. Before I ever knew what half of the badniks were called or seen any official art, I used to call it Batbot (either my dad named it or Sonic the Comic got it wrong) and thought that it had fangs rather than eyes (which was probably down to my dad speaking words again). Basaran.gif - Hmm, I can't see the fangs anymore...

Speaking of getting the wrong idea; I thought that Ballhog was a bear with a cold ( Tonton.gif - green nose) on first inspection... I wasn't as fond of pigs, so when my dad pointed out that it had a snout, it somewhat lost its appeal. XD That said, it was a pretty awesome surprise to come across such a cute, unassuming little bastard in a crazy, hellish endgame like Scrap Brain.

Of course I love many other badniks, like those from Sonic 2 and 3, the E-series and the Egg Pawns (since Colours), but these are guys are where it all began.

*I just realised that Soni did mention it. Oh well. XP

• Thumbs Up 2

I do like how so many people ended up picking Egg Pawns/Egg Fighters/etc even though the original point of the question was strictly Badnik-types. That's okay though, I gave up with the original intention ages ago as a result of that, you can choose whatever at this point. tongue.png

It was hard to chose between either him or the E-gunners of Sonic 06. Those were one of the very few things I liked about the game, but it was muddy whether to include the as badniks.

Nah, I wouldn't say that the Egg Gunners count, but I will say that I actually do agree with you about those guys. Compared to most of the other robots in Sonic '06, I did like their sleek and humanoid appearance, and while I obviously prefer the Badniks and Egg Pawns by a mile, I wouldn't mind seeing the Egg Gunners as uber/elite robots that you rarely see, or something along those lines.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favourite badnick, hmm, I never really thought about that really. I guess I would have to say that i always liked the flying fodder from Sonic Adventure. Yep I'm talking about the Spina.

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/a/a3/Sa_spina.png

(Sorry I forget how to imbed pictures)

These guys are so simple yet really quite menacing, they float there, either in place, in a path or they chase you down with that angry scowl on their face. They look really cool two, I love the purple and grey colour scheme.

And hey doc Eggman at least warns sonic that the blades'll do him in by plastering yellow and black warning tape under the spinning blades.

I also really quite like the Eggpawns and Buzzbombers

• Thumbs Up 1

There's only one badnik I can think about at the moment (and I want to precise that this is not meant to be as an April's Fool)

I actually believe he can be cataloged as a badnik, since who created him got inspiration from the actual creation process.

This guy can be met in one and just one location in the entire franchise, and his appearance is really really brief (only 40 seconds at best).

He's not that much of a threat, since his shots can be easily avoided.

But he still managed to make a big impression.

The badnik I'm talking about

is Tails

tumblr_inline_n2g2j9xiLt1spvrli.png

• Thumbs Up 7