Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Day 9 : Was Your Favorite Character Always Your Favorite Character?

Well, no. It's actually changed a lot of times over the years. I guess I'll start with who was my first favourite character.

Miles 'Tails' Prower

Sonic_Channel_-_Miles_Tails_Prower_2013.

I always loved the plucky little sidekick. And back in the Megadrive/Genesis days, I enjoyed playing as the second player, while one of my bros would play as Sonic. Stepping on the back burner and assisting when it's needed is a role I enjoyed a lot.

It got better when Sonic 3 came around because I could now fly manually and even lift Sonic to hard to reach places. While the second player role has fizzled out over the years, Tails still remained my favourite, until...

Chaotix + Knuckles & Nack/Fang

STH.Cast.SEGA.KnucklesChaotix.jpg

Fleetways Sonic The Comic played a large role in the Chaotix pushing Tails aside as my personal favourite Character(s)

They were just so different in appearance compared to the other characters, plus the whole team dynamic was a new thing at the time. They also had a range of unique abilities that you can't really get the grips of, until you play the Knuckles Chaotix game. Espio being able to walk on ceilings, Mighty being able to jump of walls and Vector just looking so comical.

When they returned in Sonic Heroes (Without Mighty or Nack/Fang. *sniff*) They seemed to keep the charm that first drawn me to them, even though they are different now. I never would've expected them to be replaced by the next character...

Amy Rose

tumblr_static_sonic-channel-sketch-amy-r

At first, I was in awe with how she was constantly so upbeat and cheerful all the time, even though she's actually being rejected constantly. She doesn't give in to despair and never gives up. All admiral traits.

However, at some point, she lost all that charm and became a creepy violent stalker lady. I first noticed it on Sonic X...it just left a bitter taste. I could only guess they did it to try and add a comedic element to her and Sonics interactions. Except they weren't funny...She was then quickly replaced by...

Big The Cat

Sonic_Channel_-_Big_the_Cat_2013.pngIt saddens me how the fanbase seem to cling to the fallacy that Big is a fool. He's not. He just speaks slowly. Plus he's a freakin' genius! No worries, living the life the way he sees fit, being completely content with life and his surroundings, as long as his best friend is by his side. Not worrying about the big picture, just livin' in paradise.

We could all learn a lot from him.

However, quite recently, a new character has surpassed Big and is currently my favourite Sonic character. How I didn't come to this conclusion earlier, is beyond me...

Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic_Is_the_best_character!.pngHow did I not see it before? It doesn't matter what happens, he will never give up the fight. There is no way he will run away from all of his frights. The voice inside him says go, so he'll always keep on running. There is no way to stop him from reaching the very top.

"It doesn't matter who is wrong or who is right."

Just to add one last thing. Dr Eggman is also one of my favourites, but he's never really been at the top like the others. He's pretty damn close though.

I'm not sure I can really make a definitive choice regarding my favourite character, but...

I would say the one who has been most consistently my favourite is Eggman.

My problem is this- I change my mind a lot, so whenever a new game arrived, bringing with it new characters, those new characters would become my favourite. Beginning with SA2B, it was Shadow. Then on to SADX with Gamma (and to some extent, Big). Heroes was Omega. '06 was Silver. So on and so forth.

But through all that, the good doctor has been a particularly enjoyable foe. Again, starting with SA2B, I instantly connected with the gentleman genius because of my love of robots. Y'know, since he builds them. And how could you not love a guy so full of himself? He's like a fat, bald, ginger Tony Stark. It's never more evident than when you get an A rank in his levels- his quote being something along the lines of "Now you know why I *am* the *best*".

tl,dr I've been a fan of Eggman since I met him.

Question #9: When it comes to your favourite Sonic character, were you always a fan of it?

Well, normally I would mention Sonic as my favorite character, but then my answer for this question would have been pretty boring.

I always liked Sonic since I played one of his games and there wasn't really much that I could like about him other than his design back then.

Nowadays Sonic is a pretty cliché character, but I still like him. He's cool, brave and sometimes a bit of a jerk, what's there not to like?

Now, another character that I would like to mention is Blaze the Cat.

xzEWPaV.png

Back when she was revealed, introducing a new character wasn't really a big deal for the franchise. Every now and then new guys where introduced like Shadow and Rouge in 2001, Cream in 2002 and Omega in 2003. She seemed like the flavour of the month.

I never bought the game and only played it a few years after release, so all I knew about Blaze during that time was that she basically was a Sonic from another dimension.

Being in 06 a year later with Silver didn't help me liking her at all.

4MMBviQ.png

When I finally got to play Rush by myself, I came across a totally different character than I'd imagined before. Blaze, unlike Sonic, was pretty calm and shy, this making difficult for her getting along with Cream and the others.

It was actually cool to see her "evolving" from a lone wolf to someone who was able to open up to people (at least Sonic and Cream).

HlztO4O.png

After this, I began to see Blaze as an actually competent character with her own flaws and strenghts.

Not only that, but she also had a cool design, could control fire and actually keep up with Super Sonic and Super Shadow in the big leagues. She was also the only female character along Rouge that could actually "do something".

Nowadays Blaze if one of my favorite characters alongside Sonic himself and Knuckles, and looking back, judging the character like I did was pretty stupid.

• Thumbs Up 5

I would put Sonic here as my favourite, but that would be pretty boring. And to be honest Sonic is a pretty boring character. So I will chose the next best thing: Blaze. She's Sonic's opposite. Sonic's the wind, she's the fire. Sonic goes by air and Blaze travels by sea. Her antisocial behaviour is entertaining and Its fun to see her slowly open up to characters like Cream through the course of Sonic Rush.

I would be lying if I said she was one of the characters saved from being bastardized by the ever changing writing staff but 06 HAS to exist doesn't it? At least she barely had any lines in that games and thats good enough for me!

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 9: Who is your favorite Sonic character and were you immediately a fan of him or had to warm up to him first?

Simple. Any of you who know me for a long time will already know the answer to this:

Big_the_Cat_Sonic_Channel.gif

The reaction that I'm sure everyone will say in regards to this is: 'Why?'

In a crazy world where there are superfast anthropomorphic animal creatures all over the place doing supernatural stuff, a crazy insane mad engineering progidy who wants to take over/destroy the world as we know it and everything's extreme to the max and whatnot, there's the oddball character, a huge hillbilly character who hasn't got anything really cool extreme going for him aside from the fact that he's apparently really strong.

And that's why I liked Big so much from the very start. He's that one guy who as much as we love to make fun of or even outright hate him, we all know that deep down we share at least one flaw similarly to Big that we often don't want to know about, but it's the key to live with that flaw and accept yourself for who you are, wether it be that you are overweight and ridiculed for it, or people question your taste in hobbies or fashion, all that stuff.

We could all praise Sonic for how super-cool, stylish and pretty overall great guy he is, but I want to ask you all something: Do you really want to be as super-duper awesome as Sonic is?

While on the surface he may be the greatest guy ever, deep down there are lots of issues that would go along with a lifestyle like Sonic's. You have to risk your neck every single day to combat in what you see in your eyes as immoral evil or injustice, and if you really would have the courage to do all that risky cool stuff like falling from a chopper 100 miles in the air while on a piece of metal for a skateboard and somehow land perfectly fine, you'll still have to realize the really close brush with death, and not to mention governments or authority figures would grow uneasy that despite all your well-meaning intentions, how can they be sure that you might not decide one day that you had enough of trying to solve their problems and just conquer the world with your superpowers instead? And you'd also have lots of enemies who will do everything in their power to make your life a living nightmare simply because you obstruct their goals in life and don't idolize or respect you, but they HATE you.

Any human being who would live life like Sonic does would eventually go through a massive mental breakdown at some point in life, no matter how cool you might look or how casually you might treat it. It's just not possible to be like Sonic.

That's why I like Big so much. He lives life the way he wants to. He doesn't pay heed to any criticism, or people making fun of him, or owing anybody any favors or feeling like he has to protect the world at all costs. He's always in his own little world and just tries to go through life in his own peaceful merry little routine. Like every human being has to endure the harsh reality that is life.

So in short:

Sonic is who we all aspire to be.

Big is who we all are in reality.

Bring on the hate, but that's my reasoning for my love for Big.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sonic is who we all aspire to be.

Actually, in regards to Sonic characters, it's Tails who fills that role for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 9 OF 30

FAVORITE CHARACTER

Mine would be this dork right here

Tails-Picture-Wallpaper-HD-1024x899.pngTails was the first relatable character I seen.

I always want to be more of a leader then a follower, be the next "big" thing, and I love doing nerdy and advanced stuff like Tails.

Plus, he is pretty much a better Sonic: invincible, able to fly and can run as fast as Sonikku.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 9: Question: When it comes to your top favorite Sonic character, were you always a fan of him/her from the very beginning, or did it take a while before you warmed up to him/her?

If there is one thing that I think I have made very clear here at the SSMB, it's how much I love this guy:

KPsF8CN.jpg?1

Yes, Sonic the Hedgehog. I may like Tails, Knuckles Dr. Eggman a whole lot and I like the rest of the Sonic cast as well, but Sonic is #1 in my book.  And my attachment and liking of him was pretty instant. I fondly remember back in June 1991 an advertisement for Toys R Us for Sonic 1 and the SEGA Genesis, which included this image of the Sonic 1 boxart:

bhWwI5k.jpg?1

I was immediately intrigued, as I had no idea what a hedgehog was at the time, not to mention I never recalled any video game characters being such as well as being blue, so I found that really cool. I got Sonic 1 and the SEGA Genesis as a reward for doing well in school and as soon as I turned it on and saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7AtQu6myc

as well as the idle animation of Sonic tapping his foot impatiently for the very first time when I stopped and admired the scenery and apparently took too long in doing so:

3K6UHXq.png?1

I knew right then and there just from the title screen and expression on his face during the idle animation that Sonic was definitely a character with some personality and that definitely captivated the attention of 7 year old me. Within a span of 5 minutes, I knew that Sonic was a cool dude that was fast and energetic with an attitude to boot-which I liked a lot. 

Although Sonic impressed and amazed me in his first video game that had me liking him very much, it was the first two of Sonic's cartoons that really caused me to adore him and then some:

VMk0iCj.jpg?1

To Sonic's wild and wacky antics, to his awesome brotherly bond with Tails in AoStH...

86lITTF.png?2

To the rapport with his friends and his emotional side in SatAM...

It was especially from the cartoons my admiration for Sonic grew and I knew for sure that Sonic was a special character. With both Sonic's qualities and even his flaws shown from the cartoons along with the first game, I was hooked. It's been that way for nearly 23 years at this point with no other character in this or any other franchise coming even close to overtaking Sonic's place as my favorite character of all time. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 9: who was your favourite character, did it change?

It has always been Sonic, really, he is my everything, my avatar in a lot of ways, he can do what I can't in real life, he is who I wanted to be, perhaps I even learnt something from him, to live life of course, but also his spirit and trying to be cool and not worrying too much about things. I'm not really like Sonic, perhaps I am because I'm crazy but also shy and lonely like Shadow, or evil like Eggman, though I think Sonic thought me (somehow) to be more ironic, sarcastic and funny as a person and I'm so happy to have that quality myself today.

I still find him cool, there's no other reason I started to follow the series, I've also enjoyed Shadow from the moment I saw him, while for Tails, Amy and Eggman I took a while to understand how great they are, and I used to like Knuckles and Rouge a lot more sadly... they are quite underused today, Knuckles isn't well used, and Rouge barely appears; having initially watched AoStH and Sonic X without trying the games... Metal Sonic was a huuuuuuuuuge surprise, he is a little classy gem who has been reconsidered during these recent years.

Day 9: Favourite Sonic chracter

The franchise has spawned an inmense variety of characters throughout its more than 20 years of life. Ranging from main characters to secondary friends, there will be people fond of any of these characters featured in the series. As a personal choice, my favourite character is none other than the Blue Blur himself,

Sonic_Channel_-_Sonic_The_Hedgehog_-_201

Sonic The Hedgehog

His iconic supersonic speed, his youthful and cool attitude, always searching for an adventure... in fact, Sonic the Hedgehog has been a big part of my childhood for many reasons aside from these. At the time when the Mega Drive was alive and kicking, it took me just a few games of the classic series to realise how incredible this character is compared to any other character in the video gaming panorama (including his old archrival Mario). His cool attitude stood out amongst many who wanted to be the next Mario, making him an instant icon for SEGA and for many fans across the globe. That was another reason why I grew fond of Sonic: his unique appeal on his personality which blended perfectly with the gameplay of his games.

All in all, while I like other characters like Tails, Knuckles or Dr Eggman, Sonic The Hedgehog has been and always will be not only my favourite character in the franchise but also one of my favourites of all time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day #9 - When it comes to your top favorite Sonic character, were you always a fan of him/her from the very beginning, or did it take a while before you warmed up to him/her?

I first got access to Sonic when my dad bought a Megadrive and Sonic 2 way back in the early 90's. But my love for Sonic didn't come until much, much later....

The funny thing is, although I grew up with Classic Sonic thanks to my dad, it isn't the Sonic I grew to love at all, until my 13th Birthday, I was enthralled to see Sonic all over TV and in every game magazine I ever owned during the time, Sonic was making it big again and he re-entered my life with Sonic Heroes on my Birthday. Upon purchasing the game from a game store, another game caught my eyes... SA2.

Sa2b_sonic02.png

Check out them sweet kicks, Sonic in the Adventure era had attitude, a cool design and a silver tongue. He knew he was bad but didn't have to prove shit, just drop corny one liners and do whatever the fuck he wants, and that's what I loved about him, he's just a sssy bastard who will always be the snappy hero.

It's true that my love for Sonic has dwindled severely in recent years, but I can keep reliving his radical surfer bro dialogue and personality in SA,SA2,Heroes and Riders, personally his last best performance was Black Knight, Sonic is just love.

Question #9: When it comes to your top favourite Sonic character, were you always a fan of him/her from the very beginning, or did it take a while before you warmed up to him/her?

Hm… that’s an interesting question.

While one of my top favorite Sonic characters is Sonic himself, for the purposes of this question to shake things up to a degree, I will talk about another one of my top favorite characters, who are… not any of the other main guys, as they are, too, already covered extensively by my fellow SSMBers.

Hkd0bvE.png

Yes, the one and only Team Chaotix. While I may say it a lot, I really like these guys bunches, though possibly not as much as Vedj or, in the case of Vector, Xenos. However, I didn’t like them since their conception -- in fact, I didn’t even know they were things at first.

You see, as I alluded to in one of my question responses here, I pretty much stopped being a Sonic fan during the N64/PS1 days. Since the only game they were all in together -- Knuckles’ Chaotix -- was for a poorly received peripheral for a console that was essentially obsolete, and Sonic the Fighters had an extremely limited arcade release at the time, he didn't register a single blip in my radar back then. All that, however, changed once the GCN/Xbox/PS2 days rolled along, with Sonic Heroes speeding right along with it.

At first, I was confused by the presence of Team Chaotix. All of the members of Team Sonic, Team Dark (Omega looked Gamma-ish enough to me) and Team Rose were familiar to me due to playing Adventure 2 Battle, Advance 2 and Adventure DX, but as far as I was concerned, Team Chaotix were all effectively new characters. However, said confusion was almost immediately replaced with glee as I played through their story. Due to my preexisting (and still existing!) interest in reptiles and insects, I gravitated to all three of them like a magnet to a metal bar. Espio, being a chameleon ninja; Charmy, being a funny little bee; and Vector, being a gruff New Yorker-ish crocodile --that all appealed to me immensely. What I also liked about them was that their ultimate goal was simply trying to make ends meet and keep a roof over their heads -- it’s not a lot, true, but I found that to be very relatable to a person like me. Also, their main theme was awesome:

However, what cemented my appreciation for them was their roles in Shadow the Hedgehog, ironically enough. They weren’t seem as much as, say, Sonic or Rouge, but they still served a pretty cool role in that game. All three of them were very respectful of Shadow, especially Charmy with his “Shadow, you’re so cool!” praises. I also liked that they had their own subplot with the data disks in Prison Island, accessing Eggman’s database in Mad Matrix, and breaking into the ARK in Cosmic Fall, ultimately serving an important role in helping Shadow discover his true purpose. What I like the best from them, however, was this:

The Hero Leaning, Hero Ending,  with Vector trying to cheer Shadow up while he was going through the mother of all existential crises following Black Doom’s defeat. It didn’t seem to amount to much, unfortunately, but the fact that, unlike the other nine endings, someone was trying to console Shadow when he was at his emotionally lowest point really speaks to me.

Ultimately, although they seemed to have been moved out of focus, as with the vast majority of Sonic’s supporting cast, I still like all three of those guys bunches. I just wish Sega used them more...
  • Thumbs Up 6

Favorite character huh? I'll have to echo many folks here and say that my favorite character is indeed Sonic the Hedgehog, mostly for his personality. He's always on the move and he never slows down except when someone is in need of rescuing or to stop Eggman from his usual schemes (and even then he's still running most of the time). He's relaxed, care-free, always thinking of others, and values freedom.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 9: WERE YOU ALWAYS COMPLETELY OBSESSED WITH THAT ONE CHARACTER OR WERE YOU HYPNOTIZED WITH DARK FANBOY/FANGIRL RITUALS FROM THE SEVENTH CIRCLE OF DEVIANTART

Okay so basically

Yeah Sonic's always been my favorite character.

tumblr_m5hcdiwXgP1qdtw9eo1_500.png

He's the cool dude with a 'tude, the guy everyone looks up to, the guy everyone wants to be. He's fast, he's got a heart of gold, but he's not without his flaws. I like that about him. Great character with a great personality.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 9

Knuckles used to be my absolute favorite.

Now my absolute favorite is Sonic and Eggman.

DAY NINE: FAVORITE SONIC CHARACTER

This is a pretty straight forward question, as I've probably said this before.

Knuckles-Sonic-Adventure-End-Image.jpg

Knuckles the Echidna. Guardian of the Master Emerald, protector of Angel Island and the (last?) surviving Echidna of the Knuckles Clan. He's been in quite a ruse lately, with only a few one liners and he's rarely ever shown with the M.E. these days. But, whether his characterization is up to par or not, he's just been my favorite for a looooong time.

To tell you the truth, actually, he hasn't always been my favorite. When I was young, I had a disliking for anyone bad or evil or whoever's out to just downright set out to kill the protagonist of anything. But could you blame me? They were bad, and everyone knew that.

That wasn't entirely the case for Knuckles, however. I didn't know Ol' Red was tricked by Dr. Robo- I mean, Dr. Eggman during the time, so I really didn't like it when Knuckles set up his traps to stop Sonic (and/or Tails). But by around the later half of Sonic 3 (Sonic and Knuckles), I started to understand that Knuckles wasn't here to just stop me, he was here to protect this once peaceful island, his home. And Eggman was using him. At that point, I could relate to the character. In the end, I ended up feeling bad for him.

Thankfully, he gave out a helping hand later on and got Sonic to the next level.

"Hey, this Knuckles guy isn't so bad after all!"

Cut to Sonic Adventure onwards, and I've seen Knuckles grow into becoming an even better character. One that I considered cool, even if he had a couple of cases of anger issues. He was determined to do what he could to protect Angel Island and would be there alongside Sonic, whether for his reasons or someone else's, to be sure that Eggman or anyone who gets in his way wouldn't dare set foot on his home.

He may be relaxed as of recently, but he's still tougher than leather.

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY NINE: FAVORITE SONIC CHARACTER

That wasn't the question.

Question #9: When it comes to your top favourite Sonic character, were you always a fan of him/her from the very beginning, or did it take a while before you warmed up to him/her?

---

EDIT: That said, you still answered the question in your post. You have my sincere apologies.

Edited by ImPantsAtThis

That wasn't the question.

I actually prefer to shorten down the questions. It may not be the question in its entirety, but the general idea of what to say is still there.

Also, I'm stuck on a mobile device that can't copy-paste without resetting the page. Sorry.

Edit: Not a problem at all.

I actually prefer to shorten down the questions. It may not be the question in its entirety, but the general idea of what to say is still there.

Also, I'm stuck on a mobile device that can't copy-paste without resetting the page. Sorry.

No, I'm sorry. You went on in your post to legitimately answer the actual question -- I'll leave my original post up for posterity, but it's safe to say that you're completely vindicated. Sorry again for being a dick.

Top favorite Sonic character...? I am going to keep this in the realm of SEGA!Sonic because I can't manage more than those at the moment (but there's a little bit of Archie gushing).

1) Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic_2012.png
Big surprise.

Sonic has always sort of fallen in and out of the favorite slot with me. He never falls far, mind, as I do always like him, but I guess it's easy to get sick of him unless SEGA's actually trying to do something interesting with him. I enjoyed his character in Sonic Adventure, and I think the localization hit all the right beats in terms of staying more true to what Sonic Team intended with the character while still giving him more Western appeal he's always had. Sonic Adventure 2 he was really cool, to sometimes comical extremes ("Don't sweat it Knuckles, the only thing in the cargo bay are those Master Emeralds,--") though it is a shame he didn't have as much of the range he had in SA1 or some later games. From Heroes until Secret Rings (with some glimmers in games like Rush) he was just kinda... there, because it's his franchise, but the spotlight and development went to other characters, particularly Shadow (more on him soon!).

It wasn't until Secret Rings to now that SEGA has put the focus back on Sonic and developed him into what we expect out of the character. He's not annoying and hyper active, nor is he dull and hanging around just because. He actually has range, emotions, flaws... I dunno, he has a personality! He's very easy going, with a sense of justice and unique moral code that makes him more than a milquetoast hero ("Guess I can't be the hero all the time!") who can, at times, bring out the best in others even when they themselves fall. The downside is that much of that personality was developed at the expense of all the other characters (who are now suffering what Sonic suffered by being given little to no personality and reduced to stereotypes because Sonic Team can't be bothered to hire a writer that knows what they're doing), but at least he's on track personality-wise. Hopefully games will be developed that have stories that better take advantage of said personality, so he can play off the other characters, something I'm still waiting to see.

2) Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic_Channel_-_Shadow_the_Hedgehog_2012

It's no secret I'm a Shadow fanboy around here. I liked him in SA2, but then felt (at first) he should've stayed dead because we didn't get much to work with in Sonic Heroes (though replaying it now, his characterization is spot on and I dig his interactions in Team Dark and with Sonic--the amnesia aspect is sorta inconsistent though). Then there was his game, a game I enjoy probably more than I should and shockingly made me change my tune. The narrative as a whole has a lot of issues, and I won't deny that, but aspects of the neutral and hero paths, and the conclusion he reached in the true ending, made him more interesting for me (there's quite a few scenes in the game that make him quite likable to me). He got a lot of attention from Sonic Team, even though they didn't really know what they were doing sometimes.

Shadow is just a cool character, in spite of some missteps taken with him, and I really like his personality and the potential he has both as a playable character and as part of a story. The Archie series (barring the Future Mobius stories), particularly Ian Flynn's run have picked up the ball that Sonic Team dropped in that respect for me, as I always look forward to when he shows up (perhaps because he's so scarcely used) and he rarely disappoints. I like seeing his struggles with the mission at hand and the greater good, I like those comedically serious moments when he gets frustrated because of how the other characters behave around him, and I like how he does hold firm to his heroic qualities and beliefs to fulfill the promise he made to Maria and Prof. Gerald no matter what but can still crack wise with Sonic when engaging in friendly competition.

Also, I'my dying over here waiting for SEGA to do something significant with him just so Kirk Thornton can shine in the role.

3) Knuckles the Echidna

Sonic_channel_Knuckles_2012.png

The new porcupine on the block with the buff chest...

Can't not mention Knux. He was actually my favorite for a long time, and was more or less replaced by Sonic and Shadow because of how Sonic Team gave up on actually trying with the character. Sonic Adventure is why I'm still fond of the character so, because of his mysterious origins and the history of his people is fascinating to me. It kind of amazes me they never did more with his history, especially after dangling so many interesting ideas in Sonic Adventure... His current characterization is downright infuriating because he deserves better than to be strictly comic relief. It's made worse that his Arthurian counterpart, Gawain, felt more like Knuckles than the actual Knuckles has in years.

I will say Archie had some good moments with Knuckles, though because he was chained to Ken Penders's pen for so long, he was also victim to some downright terrible decisions (Chaos Knuckles--at least the reboot removed that), but when he started out and his star was rising in general (why do you think they stamped his name on the Western releases of Chaotix?) he had some great early adventures. The stories themselves haven't aged as well as I'd like, but the pre-mini series stuff was pretty fun, and I admittedly like how that Echidna mythology was getting set up. It'd probably be a little more interesting if, you know, the Echidnas didn't become the center of the universe, weren't buried in a lot of appropriated sci-fi nonsense and didnt replace Knuckles in his own book half the time. I do quite like what Flynn did with him particularly with "Enerjak Returns" and "The Return"; it's kind of a shame the ultimate pay off for Knuckles was denied because of things well outside of Flynn's control--the character arc that was slowly building was a really interesting one to me and reminds me of the potential he does indeed hold that Sonic Team has wasted.

4) Blaze the Cat

Sonic_Channel_-_Blaze_the_Cat_2013.png

So I guess I'll wrap things up here with good ol' Blaze. Blaze hasn't had many game appearances, but she's one of the fortunate few to get a decent amount of spotlight and development, and it didn't take much effort to warm up to her for me. I like her sense of duty and how, once she opens up a little, she will watch out for her friends, even though she still remains somewhat introverted. I think she has a lot of the same potential Shadow does, and it's a shame she hasn't appeared in many console games ('06 doesn't really count and Generations was just a token cameo at best).

I think Archie has done a pretty good job with her (as she was fortunate enough to appear after Penders left, though Tania Del Rio's adaptation of Rush is kinda ...huh), especially the way Tracy Yardley handled her in "Pirate Plunder Panic" and how she interacted with some of the crazier characters like Bean and Marine without once breaking her characterization. Her reactions are genuinely funny without seeming out of nowhere, and her personality feels very much in line with what Sonic Team could/should do with the character if they ever bother to bring her back in a major way.

There are others (and I could probably name quite a few more of just SEGA characters, but four's enough), but these four consistently top my list these days, and I don't see them getting replaced any time soon.

Big_3.png

Big. This big, purple oaf of a feline right here. Admittedly, it did take a while for me to warm up to him. While I was a child, I even thought he was a moron, and I absolutely despised his fishing gameplay in Sonic Adventure (he's the reason I didn't even get to beating the game until six years after I bought it). But slowly over the years, my feelings for the character went from complete vitriol to me actually liking the character, his design, and overall morale and gist to him. He's laid-back, and just enjoys the pleasures life has to offer, which is how I feel at time myself, seeing as to how I'm a teenager and I'm not thinking a lot more about life and the world around me. His love for his friend Froggy is actually a bit adorable, and he's no slouch whenever he's fighting as seen in several instances.

Oh wait, that wasn't the question.. Big's not my absolute favorite, but he's definitely up there. I can't choose on a definite favorite Sonic character, actually. But as I said, Big's close.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hoo boy. Favorite character.

This guy right here:

silver-silver-the-hedgehog-29557289-475-

Silver.

Okay, so back in the late 2000's, I thought Sonic 06 was horribly underrated. Now I've learned to just leave that second word out, and I've come to terms with how awful it is (sometimes I can sorta pretend I'm having fun with it, though). But I always thought Silver was a cool character, for the most part. I liked his sense of justice and the character flaw of jumping into shit you don't understand when a murderous bastard tells you something completely different from the truth (you know, like my experience with middle school). He just didn't give a fuck because he wanted it to turn out okay for the people he loved, and damn the expense. I was sad though, that he didn't get represented in any of the good Sonic games. UNTIL SONIC GENERATIONS, BIATCH! I loved Silver's boss fight in that game and the new voice actor pleased me. And now I don't feel bad about liking him, because he appeared and indeed was remembered in what is arguably the best Sonic game since Sonic 2 ("arguably" in massive italics, I like the Adventure games better)!

• Thumbs Up 2

~SSMB Has Cleared Attachment Affiliation Act 9!~

You horrid little members...

Question #10: What is/are your favourite design(s) for your top favourite character?

138903770261.png
"These Lego shoes help to make your echidna physique look ever so prepossessing, dear."

The Sonic series has lasted for a very long time - well okay, maybe not as long as Disney and Batman and so on, but still pretty long - and with those twenty-plus years, there have been a multitude of designs for many individuals within the massive group of anthropomorphic circus acts and the one guy who boos and throws broken Beyblade pieces at them. Even without taking other cartoons and comics and whatever else into account, the games series itself has redesigned some of the characters now and then, sometimes in big ways, sometimes in little ways. Predictably, some will be more favoured than others, and therein lies today's query. When it comes to your top favourite character, which design(s) appeal to you the most, and why?

Note: It would be greatly appreciated if you could keep your post focused on the actual design(s) in question that you happen to be praising, and keep snarky/pessimistic/etc comparisons with other designs to a minimum.

Crusher's Thoughts: The Classic Robotnik design is brilliant in all it's simplicity, although for a while, I didn't know that the yellow part - the walrus tusks, if you will - was supposed to be a little cape (I just assumed it was part of his shirt). As this was the very first design for the doctor (at least I'm pretty sure it is, not counting prototype designs), it gave us the main Eggman colours: red, yellow, black, and white. What do they represent? Well that's up to individual interpretations, really. My interpretation is that the white represents his own personal viewpoint of being the hero and leader of his Eggman Empire, the black represents where his moral compass really lies, the yellow represents... bling... which in turn represents... power and authority... yeah, and the red represents the blood that he's oh so obviously directly and indirectly responsible of spreading over the many years of conquering and mechanising.

...Too much?

Moving on, we then got Modern Robotnik. His coat gives off a scientist and military feel at the same time, yet still looks like a tidy package and doesn't come off as overly generic. I did used to think that the gold buttons were a little unnecessary, but then Sonic Lost World finally made a clever use for them, so I don't feel that way about them anymore. The turtleneck and usual glasses help to create an intimidating impression during his more expressionless moments. Modern Robotnik is a great design to me, because it shows that you don't need to have all these excessive details and clothes and patterns to create the appearance for the antagonist.

Finally, there's his recent design from Sonic Boom. I don't mind at all about him not looking that egg-shaped (besides, Classic Robotnik always looked more ball-shaped to me), because this new and cardio workout-abusing appearance actually fits him really well in my opinion, especially since we know full well that he's a lot more physically stronger than he appears in the games. In addition to that, Boom Robotnik's moustache reminds me of how he looked in the end-of-level signposts from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, even though there is likely no logical reason to be reminded of those.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 8

Sonic's SatSR+ design is my absolute favorite;

Sonicunleashed.png

- The eye ridges are not too prominent
- He's not too fat yet not too thin; His belly has an extremely slight bulge to it and it's in no way exaggerated
- The luminous quality to his emerald green irises just portrays his vivid energy to me. Of interesting note is that at least in Werehog form, they do glow slightly in darkness i.e when he is first turned into a Werehog and as he turns to look at Eggman, his eye in the shade of his thick arm actually glows
- The spines/quills are of perfect length and have the perfect curvature
- What I like about the legs is that they're not excessively thickened nearer the ankles like SA2 Sonic. Seriously, SA2 Sonic looks like his legs are severely atrophied at the 'thighs' which is not so much in this Sonic
- I kinda like the extremely slight curve at the 'toe' of his shoe
- And of course, the mouth being on only one side of the face. This depends on camera angle in the actual game i.e his mouth will switch sides on his muzzle to face the camera in Unleashed
- Nose isn't too long
- I think the hands are perfectly rendered too. Broad with somewhat thick, stubby fingers.
- Oh, and I think he's the perfect shade of blue. He certainly looks a lighter blue than previous Sonic's, who definitely had darker blue fur.

This design FTW. Always been highly endeared to it and that's unlikely to change. It's that good. What contributes to this particular design being my favorite is how well the animation of this model generally is in gameplay and in cutscenes. He's expressive in terms of expressing emotion especially in Unleashed and his highspeed maneuvers are just awesome to watch in their fluidity and style.

• Thumbs Up 8

Like you, I am going to pick Classic Robotnik mainly because of his simplicity. Although, anyone think he looks more like a ball than a egg?

I also like Current Eggman and Boom Eggman (Although the latter doesn't look much like an egg)