Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Day 10: your favorite characters best designs

Sadly due to being forgotten, Nack only really has 2 designs

1)GG/STF

Knack_3.pngKnack_5.png

What would be the description, Smug Jerk you love, but want to punch in the face, he has a design that is both unique, and easily identifiable as a sonic character, yet has his own personality, and a snazy bit of class and uniqueness, not to mention he is the first game character to have a hat!

2) archie

Nackhassol.jpg

Pretty much a refinement of his classic look, but a little less round, and fits in better with the modern character, this design keeps all his classic elements, while refining them and adding detail, this design could easily fit in the modern games

One day I hope I have a modern design to talk about, but the designs he has had are pretty solid

10/30 days completed

• Thumbs Up 1

In regards to Amy's designs...

It's either the "rockin' in red" we know and love:

Amy_Rose.png

Or her slick and catchy Extreme Gearin' wear.

500px-49.png

These two designs have a simple but eye-catching color style to them. Not so much the Riders one, but that can definitely be said for the normal. I was never really a great fan of Amy's green sweater and everything in the Classic era-- giving her something feminine but not exactly... 'look I'm helpless' really worked in my opinion.

When it comes to the Riders outfit, I really do like how much it screams "ready to rock" with the sweatbands on her wrists instead of the bangles, the awesome pink trackies and that chill vest. It's something that's suitably comfortable but doesn't get in the way for the task it's suited for. Just about right.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 10 OF 30

FAVORITE DESIGN

sonicriders_sonic.png

I personally like how Sonic look in the Riders series.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of how he have huge hands and really lanky he is in-game; his "clothes" is my favorite.

The shoes and the glasses work well and the gloves is also a nice compliment to the whole "futuristic racing" feel that the Riders series has.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 10: Favorite Design for My Favorite Character:

200px-Sonic_Wreck_It_Ralph.png

I'll go with good old(... er, new?) Modern Sonic!
As charming as chubby old Classic S. is, I feel the current iteration better suits his style. The green eyes make him look more... serene, I guess you could say? And I prefer the cast having different eye colors.

The more-detailed sneakers look more efficient for high-speed running, and the longer legs and quills make Sonic look a lot more like an actual teenager!

242px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Sonic_Boom.png

That being said, I am growing accustomed to his Boom makeover, too. The scarf just screams "adventurer", and the sports tape seems practical for this new, action-packed world. I've even gotten over the blue arms... mostly.

b1nfz95.png

I want to hug this adorable fucking NERD. He's infinitely cuter than his modern incarnation and I prefer the more orange hue as opposed to the current yellow. Plus, a contributing factor is that a lot of classic Sonic concept art reminds me of Toriyama's art style, and it has a charm that can't be found in modern artwork. They also need to bring back this style of spinning tails as opposed to what you see today, it's a lot cuter and easier to draw

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm gonna go ahead and choose Big.

When I first played Sonic Adventure, I saw Big as somewhat of a novelty character. His gameplay was sanity-wearing, but I just liked him purely for the sake of laughs. But not really a character I cared for that much.

That was when I was 7-years-old.

When I got older, my overall opinion on Big changed when my overall tastes changed, particularly in what I found to be "cute". At a certain age, I began to realise that "gentle-giant" characters where adorable. When I revisited Big again, I realised just how great he truly was: he appeared dimwitted, but he was actually a little smarter than you'd give him credit for. I immediately sympathised with the fat, laid back cat, because he embodied, in a sense, what I want in a man. That particular trait at least, not to mention that body type.

So in a nutshell, I went from "Heh, Big... P;" to "D'aaaaaaw, Biggy :3"

MY favorite designs for Sonic are:

Archie - yes i know they draw big mouths but at the same times they can draw a badass Sonic. he looks like he come from a superhero comic. i love the way they color him and make it look anime like. i also love the way with draw his emotions especially his romantic. Plus there King Sonic is amazing as fuck. hes tall lean and hes ready to kick butt and save his kingdom. Honestly my favorite design.

Sonic Boom - Because his spines being a little messy says that he doesnt care what he looks like as long as he can kick butt. It also makes him look young and I like it because he is young. The scarf it gives an elegent and classy look to him. It also makes him mature. I dont mind the bandages because they are sports and Sonic moves around and hes atheletic so it fits him.

Modern 3D - i love this design. I love how smooth the design is and i love the shade of blue to mach his personality. I also love the emotions they put into this design. espesially with Super Sonic.

Favorite design for my top favorite character? Oh-ho-ho, this one's a CINCH!

qst81u.jpg

Shadow's role as Sir Lancelot in Sonic and the Black Knight grants him not only the sacred sword Arondight, but also a wicked suit of BARDARSHE armor! It compliments his normal design well, giving him a sleek and deadly look that instills fear into the hearts of lesser knights everywhere. Throw in his playable status in said game and the existence of his Jazwares action figure and you've got a design that I constantly love more and more every time that I see it. "Brace yourself, Knave the Hedgehog!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 10

Favorite: Unleashed Model

After 06, Sega immediately abandoned ship on the SS super-real and returned Sonic to his cartoony style. Unleashed felt like the final product of this with the outcome being my favorite design. Every aspect of him is spot-on and for me the definitive incarnation of "Modern Sonic". His proportions are excellent and are backed up by the silky smooth animations which bring it to life.

I emphasise that I am referring to the Unleashed version. Colors and Generations, while being the same model at the core made slight changes to it such as the glossiness in his eyes being removed (partly due to the lighting system that was only used in Unleashed) and the weird outlining of his mouth in Generations.

Question #10: What is/are your favourite design(s) for your top favourite character?

Tails_in_Sonic_Lost_World.png

The current design for Tails. Out of all the classic characters I feel that Tails made the best transition from 2D to 3D. His design is simple, it's cool and it's not overdone/too extreme of a redesign compared to his classic version. Even his Sonic Boom design barely changes it because there isn't much that needs changing. 

Favourite Design for my favourite character...

For Sonic, shut up, I don't know which I prefer, Modern or Classic... Modern is definitely the cool kid on the block, with his lankyness and different facial expressions, but Classic is that nineties hero all the kids wanted to be. He's fast, and his attitude slices out of him in every picture. But ultimately, I might have to say Modern, just because I think he's a tad more expressive with poses and things...

For Knuckles (spoiler'd for size)

Sonic-free-riders---signature.png

Yup, I think I like this one the most... I think it does it's job very well indeed. I like his shoes here, too. I prefer their 'trainers' look to his usual heavy-duty looking boots, especially for this series. I think they fit him better character wise, to be honest, as a fighter type of guy, it just suits him. Also, Knuckles would definitely wear goggles around his neck if he had to keep 'em on...

Eggman... Modern Eggman. Yes, as much as I love good ol' bouncy ball shaped Classic, I think modern resembles his power, force and brutality more. Classic works as a scientist, modern works as a dictator, which is practically what he is setting out to be. It just fits him like a glove. He still keeps his science-y respects, like goggles, but his ambitions of world domination leak out more, and that's how I think it should be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dr.png

Eggman has largely mantained this basic design since its introduction in 1999, aside from a few minor tweaks every now and then. Having a more oval shape than his spherical classic version, this look is very tall and lanky, with a long mustache. He wears an expensive-looking outfit, which gives Ivo a militaristic, yet refined expression. He also wears a pair of googles on the top of his bald head, which he has used exactly once - hey, you'll never know, right? They fit well alongside the rest of the design, helping reinforce the scientist theme and filling him an empty space. Also, while it is present on most Eggman designs, I feel it's worth noting his glasses. They make him appear intelligent and dignified, despite the crazy mannerisms.

It's a design that works well for him because it makes him look more cunning and daunting, while still mantaining the comical feel of the original (unlike, say, the over-the-top evil SatAM design). It works, and is one of the better designs in the modern series overall.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 10: Favorite design for my favorite character.

soniccddvd2.jpg

I really like Sonic CD's version of the character. He's striking, but simple, and he animates very well. He also looks really spiky. 

You really don't see art like this anymore. I don't suppose it would translate to 3D all that well either. The other Classic Sonic really didn't (I said it). But I think he looks pretty great in 2D, at least. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I've actually compared the old forms of Vector and Espio to the modern designs, and the new designs won out by a metric mile. Unfortunately, I need to use the old designs as a contrast for why the modern ones are so good. It's not snarky though, just matter-of-fact.

The old ones, while not bad, weren't exactly that descriptive. I wouldn't say there was a good reason why Espio's sock tie things had two buckles, or why Vector had the kind of shoes he had with the zip. The only thing to be discerned was that Vector has a penchant for music, as indicated by the headphones and belt. Anything else was communicated by their actions instead. On top of that, their shapes made it hard to discern their strengths as well (Espio had a sort of generic build which leaned towards both speed and strength, and Sonic the Fighters actually took the latter cue. Vector, while interesting, was spindly on top of not being fast, so he didn't really have a trait to him physically).

In comparison, the new designs communicate much more info right off the bat. Vector is buff, with big arms that get thicker towards the huge fists and boots that are huge and look sturdy. He's arguably the closest to looking like a true strongman (because every other power character is fat...or more compact in Knuckles' case). Espio's limbs are lean, and the huge accessories he wears gives the illusion of being even moreso. Speaking of which, both characters are completely over the top in terms of how much they lay on, which is only comparable to characters like Shadow or Jet, in an attempt to look 'kewl'. What they packed on as well gives the impression of truying way too hard (gold chain, headphones redesigned to be more square and in line with what DJs would wear, bandages before they were cool, spike studs etc). Even the colour scheme can back this up, with predominantly black clothing having colour accents (Vector has orange and gold, Espio has purple and silver). Charmy is an interesting comparison here, as while he also has black in his colour scheme, the orange and white are more predominant, and the black is used to accompany the black he naturally has in his fur/insect hair colour. So in a nutshell you get their role in the team, their relative area of interest and the fact they're OTT without them saying a word.

The eyeliner...I don't know why they have eyeliner. The other male characters just have eye markings. I guess it's a reptile trait. 

• Thumbs Up 1

BOOM DESIGN

dr__eggman_sonic_boom_by_ericthewhitelio

I immediately fell in love with the new design and I think it's the best thing to come out of Boom's conception so far. He's really bulked up and I like the look of his new outfit, no offense to the 'ol thriller jacket. The only downside is his shortened mustache, but whatever. Pollock's still behind the voice, so I think it's safe to say this one's my favorite so far. Too bad it's not canon.

Eggman_Sonic_Boom_profile.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #10: What is/are your favourite design(s) for your top favourite character?

My favorite “top favorite character” design, huh?

Oh, this one is a cinch! Since I have already said that Sonic himself is my top favorite character, allow me to just cut to the chase on this matter.

Throughout the two decades of his existence, Sonic has had many different variations to his general design. Some are built around his Classic design, others around built around his “Modern” look. Some are, indeed, more outlandish than others. Even with those atypical designs in mind, however, there isn’t a single Sonic design that I actively dislike -- even the Sonic in Sonic ‘06 is mostly alright to me. However, there is but one design that I consider to be the definitive “Sonic” look.

SLW_New_Sonic.jpg

Ah, yes, Sonic’s current look, or “Modern Sonic”. Introduced with Sonic and the Secret Rings, this particular look has been used in every Sonic game since, possibly in response to Sonic ‘06’s poor reception. I must say, I really do dig this particular look Sonic’s sporting now. It just seems like the perfect blend of his general “Classic” and “Adventure” designs in a way that is genuinely appealing in its own right. It has “Classic’s” roundedness without the lilliputian limbs, as well as “Adventure’s” athleticness without the (at times, uncannily) overt bendiness. It just screams “Sonic the Goshdarn Hedgehog” to me more clearly than every other design he’s had, even the Classic and the new Sonic Boom looks.

All in all, this design rocks! I just hope that Sega sticks with this design from here on out! smile.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I have to say, what amazes me is that a guy like this

Metalwag.gif

Ends up like this:

Sonic_Rivals_2_-_Metal_Sonic.png

and transforms into this

500px-Metal_Overlord_render.png
Metal Overlord/Metal Madness

I always loved Metal Sonic, now that I think of it I should've wrote about him for Day 9 but whatever, days pass. He never went a /huge/ transformation outside of Sonic Heroes, but he DID get the overall look changed a slight bit, mostly on the proportions and the head spines thing. But the fact that he could transform into a goddamn dragon just sells it for me. Lovely design, great villain, hoping he appears in Sonic Boom.

Sonic_Rivals_2_-_Metal_Sonic_model.png

power

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite Sonic the Hedgehog(Character)Design:

So many to choose from...

I choose this one:

Amy_32.png

For Amy Rose's Olympics design:

Its a cute outfit that gives off the sporty vibe nicely and is also appealing. I like it a fair bit better than the actual modern design, and I think it also an easy pick of an outfit that avoids the whole "panty shot" issue and still feels like it could be casual wear if it was tweaked a little bit(I dunno). I also think that the sporty vibe gives obvious clues to her athletic ability, the acrobatic stunts she can pull off when using her hammer and it gives a more fitting appearance to looking "capable" or maybe that's just me.

Day 10: What's your favorite character design for your favorite character?

Oh that's easy.

Robotnik_Riders.png

Not much needs to be said here. The sweater, the helmet, and sweet syrup that scarf! They all add up to be what is, imho, the coolest Eggman design yet.

Runner up is Boom! Eggman's design for his awesome military look.

...Why did you mention her in the first place if she's not a favourite?

To show that there were some characters that did take me some time to warm up to, but one of them (Blaze) quickly became one of my favorites, others didn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

To show that there were some characters that did take me some time to warm up to, but one of them (Blaze) quickly became one of my favorites, others didn't.

...So you could have just left it at Blaze, then. tongue.png

Day 10~! \o/ Whoo~

So yeah Sonic I like that guy, he has a lot of cool designs. ​Except his 06 look. I echo Verte on what she said about his Modern self but on top of that I quite love this design:

Io.jpg

Movie Sonic is much like his CD design, with his short quills and puggy tummy, though I think Movie Sonic is a litter taller than CD Sonic and his quill are a tiny bit softer looking. I like his darker blue coloring, and his more pointed ears it's just a very nice looking design. Makes me a bit squishy inside. XD  

• Thumbs Up 1

...So you could have just left it at Blaze, then. tongue.png

I suppose I could have. XD - My point was that for the most part, my view of characters doesn't change that much, which was part of the question.

But yeah, I do see your point, and I apologize for that. 

Day 10: What is/are your favourite design(s) for your top favourite character?

Giving props to this bad boy right here:

6vH5oQe.png

Truth be told, Metal Sonic is actually my overall favorite character in the series (any Metal Sonic fans out there? lol) This 'modernized' design of Metal Sonic in particular is sleek, easy on the eyes, and still looks menacing. I have a soft spot for the detail to the more mechanized areas of his body (namely the joints and what not) as it compliments the other more simplistic areas of Metal's frame. With that being said, I too find his Generations (Classic) design to be really well done too.

Call me a sucker, but I also love Metal Overlord's design; metallic robot dragon thing with makeshift wings is still awesome to me no matter what.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to roll with Boom!Sonic's design.

For starters, his blue arms. The peach arms actually always irked me. There was always the debate over whether the peach areas were skin or fur... and in either case, it'd be really weird. Skin means he shaves his arms for some reason, as does Amy (while Silver and Shadow do not... while it could be some present day cultural thing among hedgehogs I don't know). Fur on the other hand means he has a really weird pattern, especially given that generally arms and legs have the same fur coloration, with the underbelly and muzzle being where fur will be lighter or thinner.

But bam! Blue arms solves the problem. The peach can easily be both fur or flesh and not be that weird to me by comparison.

His legs, while at first seeming excessively long, grew on me on the basis that they really fit his athleticism. The alternative was that his legs instead get thicker, to represent muscle... and that would just look strange. Keeping them thin helps him look trim and lightweight.

The sports tape, while indeed odd at first, has also grown on me because of the justification given for it. It fits his immense physical activity, especially when we consider almost every continuity has had to address the issue that his shoes wear out from repetitive use... the sports tape fixes the problem if he changes it regularly. Then you have the fact that despite his ego he's ultimately more of a humble character than Eggman and prefers clothes that actually fit the situation.

I also like how his head is fuzzier now. It's a compromise between giving him actual fur and retaining a cartoony look, I feel.