Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Sonic_pose_61.png

Sonic hasn't really changed too much since Adventure, but I do have a lot of love for Sonic Battle's art style in general. If we're talking purely aesthetically, Amy's Battle design in particular is probably my favorite character design in the series. This is about Sonic though, so I'll say I really dig what they did with him here. The very sharp, jagged lines suit him very well both due to his personality and also because he's... well, spiky. 

So yeah, that picture shows off his cockiness well, has some nice (literal) edginess, and is just fuckin' cool to look at. I'd like to see a more stylistic look like this be used in a game again.

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 10: Most favorite design of your most favorite character?

Big hasn't changed one bit.   :/

Big_The_Fat_Cat__D_by_bowsyjr1.png

O RLY?!

I really love this image for how actually sort of less pudgy Big looks if you compare it to say his Adventure and Heroes artwork for example, and I just really get a awesome vibe from him posing there with that (to his size in comparison)  little moped, especially the little detail with the rear view mirror on the left steering handle. Gotta drive safely after all!

Now he can show that Shadow guy who's a real badass biker around town!

• Thumbs Up 5

DAY 10 OF PRESIDENT CROW RANTS ABOUT FAVORITE CHARACTERS!

Gawsh darn it Crusher! You have to make me bring up AoStH again! How dastardly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS0AKzzD0wA

Dr.Robotnik in AoStH again!

Billed as animation's sexiest fat man, Robotnik's design in AoStH is simple but effective. Its iconic and recognizable, especially since Robotnik used the same outfit in SatAM with a bright yellow cape. But the reason why I prefer this Robotnik over SatAM's or other Eggman designs is that AoStH Robotnik is very expressive. As you can see in the vid Robotnik while having a consistent design, he never looks the same in every shot you see him in. He was encouraged by Milton Knight to be drawn differently but in a bizarre way. He really comes off as cartoony compared to the other characters. Robotnik is a man of thousands of faces and I just find him to be creative at that.

Ok tomorrow no mention from AoStH from me

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 10: Favorite design of parson u like!

2881jtl.jpg

(design by aoki6311)

The OVA designs are pretty much my favorite designs for everybody who appeared in them, bar Sonic CD Sonic, mostly because of just how versatile they were. They lent themselves easily to comedy and dramatic moments alike, mostly due to their Golden Era western cartoon roots, without being either too chubby like with the Classic designs or too nineties like with the Adventure stuff. A little of this, admittedly, is due to the quality of the OVA itself, but what modifications are there are pretty well-considered, if a little subtle. Plus, a humanish girl who has a crush on Sonic and doesn't look horrifically out of place! Strange, isn't it?

yeah I know but there was no way that non-joke wasn't going to happen so nyeh to you and your entire family line

• Thumbs Up 8

Hmm... my favourite Sonic characters haven't changed in design... neither has Blaze... hmm.

Well I guess I like all of Eggman's designs (barring that one): his classic one is meant to be easy to draw, and given it's the way I usually draw him, I'd say they succeeded. His modern one again brings a cool look to him with that snazzy jacket that kinda makes him look physically imposing, and his Boom one looks cool for giving him a Stalin-esque appearance and also for how one simple change can really work ("We need to make him look buff... I know! Let's turn his egg-shaped body upside down!").

Also, I like Amy's designs too. Classic Amy looks cute (even if she is basically Sonic in drag), Modern Amy looks cool (mostly her boots) and Boom Amy is my favourite of the redesigns.

Finally, while I don't hate the modern look, I've always kinda liked Classic Sonic. He just has this... well, timeless and classic look to him, like Mickey Mouse. I often wonder what the series today would be like if the design stuck, and kinda wish Lost World had an option to use him, if only because I feel he better suits the look and feel of the game's world than Modern Sonic.

Day 10: favourite design

Shit, Shadow hardly changes does he? Well to tell the truth, I like this one best.

Shadow_2_Tails19950.png

His Sonic Free Riders model. This one shows emotion quite well, has cool emerald shades and just fits very well in the games universe. Can't say much more really.

Ahhh, Amy you've had so many forms.

800ee0d5-d37e-4c7e-aacc-10125dedfbbe_zps

nicked from DA, by smsskullleader

In terms of the Sega designs, I'll always prefer her Classic look over her more recent look. She's so darn cute, look at dem widdle boots. :3

Sorry if I go on like a broken record here, but as I said before STC Amy is my favourite, and there's a reason why I picked the panel I did for my avatar. :B It's from STC's "Project Brutus" story; Richard Elson, my favourite STC artist did this first part of the Brutus arc and despite liking Elson's work anyway, for some reason I really really liked the work in this strip. Particularly how he drew Amy. She's still the sweet and cute Amy Rose, but with extra badass! She is portrayed;

ae7cc7b9-46e2-4076-8665-1be86b50a002_zps

Cautiously attacking whilst giving Johnny a small pep talk!

d0f59299-94e6-4b0d-9c50-57ec7c85c392_zps

Angry/determined, although to be honest here her expression is very similar to the one used for Sonic quite frequently...

e6a58736-ac72-4e31-a5cd-d64f91ebec81_zps

Shocked/surprised/frightened... I love this panel. The positioning of Sonic and Amy on either side, and Brutus looks bloody terrifying!

6fed8abe-fb4f-4b01-8cdd-7ee8d488a0f4_zps

Sadness at being captured. Also note how much bigger Sonic's cuffs are than hers and Johnny's! XD But no worries, the gang always fight back.

5be514a7-f40e-4be6-946e-1a326fcd03bf_zps

Doing what she does best... complete badassery! I mean, look at Sonic's face there! That's his rarely seen "ohshit!' face!

15d6141f-2cde-4cb6-aa76-b804d54f27b2_zps

Happy/relief, at the thought of escaping Brutus...  or perhaps the idea of being chained to Sonic(!) She also appears to have lost an eyelash in the fight....

Anyways, you get the idea... I like how Amy looks in STC and particularly this story.

I'd also say I quite like game Amy's alternate outfits in some of the games, such as:

e20af3f3-f12b-4acd-89b7-a7d388684fe6_zps

Eeeee, it's so cute, she looks like a ballerina! Those shooooooes! :3

70a6a99c-05cd-4d1a-8060-def800b61aa4_zps

And those tassels! :B

Ugh... look at me, gushing over girly things like accessories, the ultimate Put a Bow On It. Anita Sarkeesian would bust a blood vessel!

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 9: Favorite design from favorite character (who is Knuckles)

Easily have to go with the OVA design.

tumblr_m4lcivu6cb1qdtw9eo1_500.gif

I mean come on, that pimpin' hat, those baller shades, maaaaaaaaaaan.

Like seriously, I miss the hat so much you have no idea. It's a shame what happened to it though...

1349845468348.gif

"MY HAT'S ON FIRE!"

Otherwise, Knuckles is pretty simple/consistent regarding design, so there's not much else to choose from.

His Sonic Riders design gets an honorable mention though.

Knuckles_4_Tails19950.png

not much changes other than the goggles and the slightly different shoes, but hey, it's still a pretty sweet design.

• Thumbs Up 2

Barring his modern design (which in of itself is the definition of awesome) I would have to say my favorite design for sonic would be his Riders design, I just really love how much more flashy his shoes are and those awesome shades he has on are like the icing on the cake, not to mention that from the artwork it gives me somewhat of a cel-shaded jet set radio vibe from it.

Day 10 Challenge: Favorite designs for your Top Character

9/30 Challenges Completed

MySonicReaction.png

My Sonic Reaction Face to Day 10 Challenge...

I'm not really the best when it comes down to talking about designs for characters, so this post won't be too crazy like the others... 

Anyways, Sonic. Sonic The Hedgehog. My top favorite character. He has many designs, but I guess today I'll talk about the Sonic OVA design. 

tumblr_n3syvaqRgo1qlj42ao1_500.jpg

Why this one? Well... It really looks nice (just like all the other Sonic designs, honestly...), but I guess I really like the classic design the OVA was going with. Sonic has his black eyes, he has a pot belly, and I like that his spines aren't too long. I also find Sonic to look great during different moments in the OVA. I don't know, I think it's really just the overall classic feel that I like since I believe this is the best classic Sonic look in any Sonic animation. 

Like, I really enjoy how Sonic looks in these moments. 
tumblr_m2dxsvvWsk1qdtw9eo1_500.png

Normal_OVA_Ep1_249.jpg

sonic_ova_snapshot3.png

rsz_sonicwonder.png

I feel that Sonic OVA still managed to keep Sonic looking great during comedy moments, great during laid back cool moments, and even look great during serious moments. Sonic OVA Sonic still manage to make Sonic look like the great hero he's always been, but instead of with a modern design, it's just brings it back to the old days when he had black eyes and a pot belly. He looks great in motion during the OVA as well, so that's something worth counting because I can at least say that when in motion, he doesn't look off or different to me (I hope this last part about motion made sense). 

Probably my favorite image of Sonic OVA Sonic because how cool he looks. 
rsz_sonicsmug.png

So... I hope this was an acceptable Day 10 posting...

10/30 Challenges Completed

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic's current design, Unleashed would be the best "sub-version" of it, the only difference is Sonic having fully modelled eyes and brighter, more detailed textures but it really makes him "pop" in comparison.

Day 10: Favourite design(s) for favourite character?

Tails_Advance_Idle_and_Yawn_by_Hyper_son

#1: Sonic Advance

I pretty much grew up on Advance 1 & 2, since I was being dragged along to functions and stuff with only my boredom and my gameboy advance SP to keep me company while people partied. I played those games religiously; I never got the emeralds, but I was always on them, blasting through a level or trying to beat some of the hideously cheap bosses. I played it enough that the designs just became natural to me -- they emulate the Adventure-era art so well that these are just the best depictions of Sonic and the crew I've seen. A special mention here goes to Sonic's running animation in these games (seriously, I love it).

---

I'm sure I'll be the first to post this next on--

#2: Sonic Riders

Tails_pose_44.jpg

Oh, never mind. Yup, load of people have already said much more than I can about this artstyle, but I'm just in love with it. It's so stylish.

Favourite character's favourite design, uh?

Modern Sonic.

Piercing green eyes, charming smile, snowy white gloves and socks, not to mention the useless but nonetheless cool looking golden buckles on his red and white shoes, I like every little detail of him.

And Sonic thinks the same, apparently:

tumblr_llxhdb1ddl1qjgwy9o1_500.gif

He has all the rights to be narcissist sleep.png

Modern Sonic screams perfection from every pore of his spiky blue well shaped body.

• Thumbs Up 5

Perfect, I get to talk about the evolution of Metal Sonic, and his various designs!

Naturally, we've got the 'classic' design, the one that he's known for, the Sonic CD look. This one right here.

Sonic_CD_Metal_Sonic.jpg

The pauldrons, the shoes, the jet booster. I mean, you can still tell what he's supposed to look like, he's Sonic, but a robot. that doesn't stop him having his own defining features though, he's comes across as much more...pointer than his organic counterpart, his fingers just being sharp claws, the extremely pointy nose he has. You can tell his purpose, he was built to be aerodynamic, those spines just tell us that. However, that's not the only design ol' Metal has had, as I'll now show off my favorite design.

From Sonic Heroes, we've got this form!

Neometalv2.png

'NEO' Metal Sonic, just...look. He's taken the appearance of a damned wizard, and it's badass. He's got death triangles on his legs, he's taller, his pauldrons are more defined.This is extremely fitting, as he looks so much more like a supervillian, which he becomes in Heroes. The cape, the slightly darker shade of blue...he should have stayed likes this instead of going all Godzilla. I mean, look at that design and tell me his power wouldn't be boosted to some considerable degree. The guy looks boss. This almost combines Metal Sonic's design, and Mecha Sonic's, to make an ideal enemy, a genuine threat to Sonic and co. Wizard Metal Sonic, you were the best thing about Heroes, why don't you appear more often?

HONORABLE MENTION!

The weird Rocket Metal Sonic that appears in Sonic the Fighters for the smallest amount of time, mostly because, to me at least, it doesn't make much sense. Why send Metal Sonic out? Like, why is he outside to begin with? It's a weirdly pointless scene, but with a pretty awesome design.

mechasonic29sonicee1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

mechasonic29sonicee1.jpg

Mecha Sonic model no. 26? Eggman must run through these things like "a something with another something" I wonder which model we're on now.

Gotta go for a specific moment from STC.

Zonerunner.jpg

Admittedly, I wasn't the biggest fan of this particular artist (Richard Elson was always my favourite), but dude, look at Tails there. He's wearing a badass leather jacket, but it is also clearly too big for him. The torch shows he's prepared, but he still has that little Sonic pin for reassurance.

STC Tails was so often thrown in at the deep end of a strange situation, and though he was quite often frightened, the kid never backed down. STC could have really used a couple more Zonerunner and Nameless Zone adventures.

...and seriously he's still mega cute.

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #10: What is/are your favourite design(s) for your top favourite character?

Sonic+CD+-+Opening.flv_snapshot_01.06_%2

Pretty hard to choose. But I guess if pushed, I'd pick the Sonic OVA or CD Intro/Ending version. The animation is of top quality and far surpasses that of Sonic X animation, imho. He manages to look cool and cute at the same time, and you can't possibly deny breaking through that boulder in mid air was not freakin' awesome?!

Plus they didn't do that weird spike spinning shit that Sonic X did when his head would turn, I never likes that. And when they did the same to Shadow?? Egh...it looked like he'd lost a fight with a chainsaw...

...oh...uh...so Sonic CD/OVA is my fav...yeah...^^; This ain't about my least favourite, my bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #10: What is/are your favourite design(s) for your top favourite character?

Now, now, now.

I like Tails when he looks cute and cuddly. The modern design is a perfect combination of both, and it's one of my favourites, but not actually my favourite. That place goes to Classic Tails. Classic Japanese Tails. The one which is not brown, to be exact. Whenever I want my classic Tails fix, the Sonic OVA is where I look.

Special mention goes to Riders Tails & Blacksmith Tails, from Sonic and The Black Knight. I dunno, I may like cute and cuddly Tails, but I also love when the designers underline his genius. Maybe that's why Boom!Tails is the only design I have no problems with, Boom!Eggman aside.

(Apologies for the image-heavy post.)

Well, since Sonic is my top favorite, I'll talk about him, as I have the most to say about him:

Sonic_and_Classic_Sonic.png

I've always had a fondeness for Sonic's deceptively simple design from just about any era. While I don't doubt there was immense thought put into each decision, I like that most of his looks embrace simplicity akin to a classic cartoon character instead of all the extra frills that we see in cartoons now (and, indeed, will see in the upcoming "Sonic Boom" TV series--frills, I confess, I use sometimes. The shame!). To me, each look always seemed like it was perfect for just about any medium, not just games, because of the simplicity of it. And time and time again, the basic design of Sonic and friends have proven to be able to translate perfectly into any medium... the downside (and something I admit about the Archie comics pre-reboot) is that few artists rarely understood Sonic character design, so we'd get some odd, humanoid looking anthros instead of characters that blend more into Sonic's world--and that's when the characters weren't palette swaps or Sonic characters with wigs/clothes. This is something that's changed since then, but you need only look at the history of the franchise to see some oddities here and there in other media.

While I like both "Classic" and "Modern" Sonic, my sensibilities and tastes lean toward the "Modern" side of things. I like his proportions and expressions, and I think giving him colored irises make him even more expressive ("Classic" was plenty expressive, actually). I also like that he's grown past his old Felix the Cat look, but modernized in a way that's subtle and respects the core of the character.

Now, I do like the "Classic" Sonic, but not the way he appeared in Sonic Generations, funny as that may be. In a way, I liked that it paid respect to Oshima's original designs from Sonic 1, with a little bit of Greg Martin's flair from the old Genesis box art (particularly the facial expressions). What I take issue with was that he was made to look like a young Sonic, when that really isn't the case for the character at all (though it's admittedly cute seeing how "Classic" looks up to "Modern"--until you realize Sonic's idolizing himself). It also made any attitude this incarnation of the character tried to portray in Generations look like he was a little kid trying too hard to look cool like his modern counterpart. When you look at old sprites or artwork of the classic design (or even the OVA), he doesn't look like that at all! My image of "Classic" Sonic will always be the Japanese artwork that appeared around the time of Sonic 3 and the later "Sonic Screensaver" images.

SSS_pic_65.png

To me, this is the same Sonic we see now, and it's how I've always seen Sonic, just with different proportions and a different design philosophy behind it. He's not a "young" Sonic like Generations turned him into.

I will briefly comment on Shadow, since I want to say I really liked the model Blur Studios used in his own game.

S.T.H._-_Artwork_-_8_%28Shadow%29.png

It's just really refined and sleek looking. And I really like how expressive he looks in that game's CG cutscenes. Even as... out there and over the top the game could be, I think the guys at Blur Studios did a great job with his expressions. And I think some of that expressiveness did manage to carry over to other appearances for Shadow, at least if some of these sprites from Sonic Rivals are any indication:

Sonic_Rivals_2_-_Shadow_the_Hedgehog_2.pSonic_Rivals_2_-_Shadow_the_Hedgehog_4.pSonic_Rivals_2_-_Shadow_the_Hedgehog_5.p

On Knuckles and Blaze, I don't think I've noticed too many alterations to them. Mostly just refinements, akin to Shadow. Knuckles's head did become more rectangular in shape, a change that happened very gradually since Sonic Adventure (he had a rounder head, which was ever so slightly pointy at the top, and then that got altered with his model in SA2, which has been the basis for many of his refinements since then). Blaze I feel most had her facial expression ever so slightly refined, so I can't say I've noticed too many changes (and she is a newer character, so I suppose it's not too surprising).

Gotta go for a specific moment from STC.

Admittedly, I wasn't the biggest fan of this particular artist (Richard Elson was always my favourite), but dude, look at Tails there. He's wearing a badass leather jacket, but it is also clearly too big for him. The torch shows he's prepared, but he still has that little Sonic pin for reassurance.

STC Tails was so often thrown in at the deep end of a strange situation, and though he was quite often frightened, the kid never backed down. STC could have really used a couple more Zonerunner and Nameless Zone adventures.

...and seriously he's still mega cute.

Yknow when I was a kid I totally didn't get this was a Bladerunner reference, at all. I thought it was a wordplay on Globetrotter, for some reason(!) :D And Bladerunner is one of my favourite films, it's just that I didn't see it until years after Zonerunner and The Flock! :D

But yeah, I prefer Zonerunner Tails to Nameless Zone Tails. :B

Day 10

Blaze dosent really have many designs, however I do really like the concept art where she has a cape.

184px-Blazeconcept.png

As just an extra to her character I think its pretty neat and makes her look slightly more regal and "princessy" without giving her a big dress or whatever. I am also quite fond of the pink/purple cuffs she has in the winter olympic games...games.

But all in all Blaze's design is decent as it is, although an alternate one for Boom might be nice to see, I have seen a couple of good ones going off the idea she is some sort of nomad? (i think), seems to be a pretty common theme with Blaze and Boom concepts.

• Thumbs Up 1

The current design of Sonic is my favorite design of my favorite character, Sonic.

It's well rounded in all areas, it has a twinge of classic fell and it's a design that has staying power, a design that can last in the same way Mario has. It's clean, clear, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Day 10: Favorite Character's Favorite Design:

VAohFcD.png?1

My favorite design of my favorite character Sonic is definitely his modern design, Even amid the various variations, Modern Sonic's design has pretty much remained the same and I have liked them all (Bar '06 Sonic). Sonic being taller, slimmer and lankier is a more fitting look considering how adventurous he is. Considering all the running that Sonic does, his slimmer and more streamlined appearance makes it more realistic as well. The biggest draw to Modern Sonic's design in my opinion are his emerald green eyes. They bring a nice pop of color to his color scheme, especially amid all the blue.

mvC8VOB.jpg?1

I remember when I saw Sonic's green eyes for the first time back in 2010, as indicated by the image above. I really liked seeing him with green eyes, but I thought it was an artist's incorrect interpretation of Sonic as at the time or it was just a thing for Sonic X, as I was unaware that he as well as the rest of the cast had undergone a redesign back in 1998 due to me being out of the series at that time. I was very glad to learn that the green eyes was now part of Sonic's look as I think his green eyes complements his look very well amid his color scheme.

prUOnLs.jpg?1

I may not be fond of Sonic's Boom design whatsoever, but among all the drastic changes they made to him, I am very glad that his eye color did not change and that Sonic's green eyes remained as opposed to changing the color of them or removing the color of them altogether.

cLuMepd.jpg?1

Specifically I liked Sonic's design in the Riders series with the changes in his gloves and shoes and green-tinted glasses that matched Sonic's eyes as it all had a nice adventurous feel to them. smile.png

So yeah, Modern Sonic. Definitely Modern Sonic. Although I have to give some recognition to Sonic Generations' Classic Sonic:

OIfcYOx.jpg?1

Such a cutie! happy.png

• Thumbs Up 9

Certainly can't go wrong with the classic design!  

If I had to pick my favorite variation of the classic era artstyles, it'd probably be this:

sonic-cd.jpg

The Sonic CD anime look. It's the perfect combination of cute and awesome.

tumblr_lzlnz3hvJE1qdtw9eo1_500.gif

So awesome

letsgo-1.gif

But... so cute...

d'awww...

tumblr_lvdpbtczJN1qdtw9eo1_500.gif

..aaaawwwwwwwYEAH-oh awwww a flower...

this design conflicts me

• Thumbs Up 5