Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Question #13: What Sonic game achievements are you most proud of?

I don't really get many feelings of accomplishment from the Sonic games. The games themselves are really easy and the stuff like collecting all the Emeralds can be annoying, but it isn't that hard when you just need to memorize most of the ring patterns and that stuff.

I got all the Emeralds (and Super Emeralds in 3&K) in the classics, the same applies to the Advance, Rush and Sonic 4 games, unlocked the true ending of Heroes, 100% Colors and even got the Platinum trophy in Generations. While it felt good, those thing weren't really a big achievement for me.

While I may being all negative and shit, it doesn't mean that there where moments in the franchise that I felt accomplished, on the contrary, I'm really proud of those things I'm going to mention, they just don't look all that special.

The first one is getting the Speeding Ticket in Sonic Unleashed.

qZMdjg9.png

Now, I know that there are way harder trophies in the game, but this was my first experience with Unleashed and while I'd already finished the main game, I was still getting used to the fast reaction times that where required to do some shortcuts. Not only that, but I had a horrible headache that night.

I tried and tried, my head seemed that it was about to explode and then after like 10 tried I did it. I just remember my head hurting so much that I couldn't even keep my eyes open and fell asleep in the couch.

The other one was unlocking Super Sonic in Sonic Riders.

I have no idea if it is hard or not, but it sure as hell was for me years ago. To unlock Super Sonic, you need to get every Gold Rank in Mission Mode.

This took me a whole weak. I'm pretty sure it would have been a different story nowadays, but jesus, back then it sure wasn't.

Man, this is a tough one but if I have to say what achievement made me the proudest, it was definitely being able to get all the emeralds in sonic heroes and fought metal sonic, I was really happy that day especially when I got to the super sonic (even ran down the stairs and told my brothers about it), it was a spectacular feeling since it was literally my first time doing a super sonic boss fight and it felt good taking down metal after god knows how many tries I attempted on it.

TJyq4Yk.jpg

While collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds (in any classic Mega Drive game) is an obvious choice, the first time I felt a strong sense of achievement was in Marble Zone Act 3. Having never played a platformer (outside of relatively simplistic Spectrum titles) before, I hadn't quite mastered the timing or general control of my jumps. This became evident in the section above. It seems incredibly simple now, yet back then I would find myself recoiling off spikes, missing the small platforms or hitting the ceiling (plummeting down as a result). Maybe I just lost my cool after one mistake and it wasn't as hard as I thought; I can't remember. However, after hours (maybe days) of trying, I managed to emerge from the dungeon and bask in the light of day again. From then on, the rest of the game (and series) just fell into place for me.

So yeah; that was my Carnival Night barrel or Metropolis. XP Honourable mentions go to A-ranking the character missions in SA2 and getting a perfect run in Jungle Joyride for the first time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, its been a while since I participated. Anyway.

Day #13:

My greatest achievement would probably being able to beat Sonic 3 & Knuckles like the back of my hand. It is by far by the game I've played the most, and its to the point where I know almost all of the secrets. It feels soo good to say that.

Day 13: Sonic Acomplishments

Hmm, i'd have to say my first moment of being really proud of doing something in a Sonic game was getting an A-Rank on Canon's Core, hard mode, first try. To put in perspective this was a young Jolt_TH, not having completed the entirety of Sonic Adventure at this point, having asked my brother to complete King Boom Boo and having taken almost all my 70 or so lives trying to do Canon's Core in the story,, playing Hard mode because I wanted to try and complete all the missions. I completed the level and saw that purple 'A' Rank sign come up and I just sat there shocked, my sister who was sitting in the room at the time congratulated me and my brother (my Sonic idol at this point) after telling him was impressed and told me that I did a good job, that was the first time I can even remember my brother praising me, so it was a pretty big deal for me.

Another one would have to be getting an S rank on all UnWiished day (and eventually Night) stages, Eggmanland was a bitch, I remember trying to do it for months! eventually also getting 100% and getting all the concept art, movies and music was a proud moment, given it was sometime last year :P

also last year I completed Sonic Heroes, only the story mind you, im crap at missions and stuff like that, but after having played the game on my sisters GC all those years ago, i FINALLY got the seventh emerald and finished Team Dark's story, getting to fight, and beat Metal Overlord.

yeah, some pretty easy things for other people im proud of, but im not really that good at Sonic games.

I thought the question called specifically for in-game achievements, but if we're advancing that to all forms of things that are heavily Sonic-related, then probably the best thing I ever achieved was being one of the winners of the Black Knight Art Contest. Your art was put in the game and you got a free copy of it from Sega. I basically promised myself it was the way I was most likely to get the game, and what do you know?! 

Sadly, I don't have the file of it anymore, but mine is at 2:22 here. Gaze at the awfulness.... Gaze at it!

• Thumbs Up 4

I thought the question called specifically for in-game achievements, but if we're advancing that to all forms of things that are heavily Sonic-related, then probably the best thing I ever achieved was being one of the winners of the Black Knight Art Contest. Your art was put in the game and you got a free copy of it from Sega. I basically promised myself it was the way I was most likely to get the game, and what do you know?! 

Sadly, I don't have the file of it anymore, but mine is at 2:22 here. Gaze at the awfulness.... Gaze at it!

Wow, you drew that? That's amazing, glad that your art made it in.

Day 13!

Umm... that's actually a tough one.

I imagine the time I managed to beat the Time Eater on my first try? Usually it takes me a few lives before I can do it... guy's such a pain in the ass to bring down with how hard it is to see rings and how he always seems to fly the hell away every time you get close.

I never really played the games intensely so there's not really much of an achievement on anything I've played. I mostly just play through and pick the game up from time to time. I collected all the red rings in Colors but that was with a video guide so I won't consider it an achievement.

I guess the fact I can recite Sonic Adventure 2's Last Story more or less from memory suffices? Even if it's more sad than anything...

Gerald: "I plan to give you a taste of my revenge once all the seven emeralds are collected. Once I initiate this program, it cannot be disabled. ALL of you ungrateful humans, who took everything away from me, will feel my loss... and despair."

Military Dude: "Is there anything else you'd like to say?"

Gerald: "No."

Military Dude: "Ready!"

Amy: "What's going on here, who is that?"

Eggman: "Professor Gerald Robotnik, the greatest scientific mind in the world, and my grandfather!"

I'll stop but you get the point, haha.

I do have a Sonic related achievement that I am most proud of, but it doesn't relate to playing the games. Would it still count?

Mine is at 0:28.

Having never won anything ever, or never having the confidence to send my art in for a contest. Nothing could ever beat becoming one of the Europe Sonic and the Black Knight Fan Art winners as my greatest Sonic achievement that I'm proud of.

Seeing all the different Shadow the Hedgehog endings, beating Sonic Heroes on hard difficulty or getting all Xbox 360 achievements on Sonic 06. These are nothing compared to the Black Knight achievement.

I started with a plan once I learned of the contest. "I'm going to try and get Nack/Fang to appear in a new game." Making Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic The Fighters and Sonic Drift 2 as choices to draw. I'm not sure what made me pick Drift 2, maybe having official material of the characters and their cars, easily assessable, may have contributed. I did make a mistake with the due date, thinking that it was much sooner than it actually was. If I had the time, I would've added Dr Eggman and Metal Sonic in the distance.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to achieve what I set out to. I still remember the phone call I got that told me I won. My reaction was something like "Buh?!"

*Edit*

Nepenthe was a winner too!? I didn't know that. Cool!

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 13: What's a 100% Achievement that you're proud of?

The only thing I could view as a proud 100% achievement was doing a 100%-ing that I'm proud of is Sonic 3 & Knuckles with getting the seven Chaos Emeralds and Super Emeralds with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Sonic and Tails playthrough.

That and Sonic CD after destroying all of the Metal Sonic projectors, Badnik generators in the past and got of all the time stones to get the Good futures and the Good Ending.

Day 13: Sonic Achievements

Uh...I guess I glitched Knuckles into emerald coast once. Other than 100%ing both the adventure games, I suppose.

Day 13: What Sonic game achievements are you most proud of?

As I said earlier in this thread, the first Sonic game I played and beat was Sonic Generations. But I think my "proudest" Sonic achievement may have been finishing Sonic 1. Yes, the first game in the series. It was a very frustrating experience, but with the abuse of save-states, I managed to complete it.

I'm mostly proud of it because it took a lot of perseverance to complete. Also, I did it for the 2013 Holiday Gaming event, so I have a photo:

sth1-run2.JPG

What I really want to do is replay Sonic Generations and get 100%. That would be an achievement I'd really be proud of.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 13: Sonic Game Achievements Most Proud Of

Finally one that I can talk about. I have been and still are a terrible gamer as in someone who always plays on the lowest difficulty setting and even then struggles at the games. If a game gets done, it is usually the barebones as in the bad/incomplete ending, very rarely that I've completed a game 100%. What makes it harder are the Sonic games, with the Chaos Emeralds to find by doing the special stages in the older games or getting S ranks in the later games meaning that I've never completed a Sonic game 100%...

Some came close such as Sonic Triple Trouble (bad ending), Sonic Adventure but without all of the emblems, Sonic Rush with only one more Chaos Emerald to get before getting to the last stages or Sonic CD (the basic way of completing the game by doing the special stages, well before Taxman decided to make it harder for the remake with the must destroy generators and get a good future on all zones for true completion as well so basically was 100% but not anymore if you know what I mean). Sonic R could count however it was more like cheating with setting the weather to snow and being Super Sonic.

Until last year and this forum to be exact. While I did beat Sonic 2 for the first time in 2013 after having the game for 16 years and did beat Sonic's story on Sonic Rivals however they weren't completely done despite being happy about beating Sonic 2. Sonic 2 still missed getting the Chaos Emeralds and Sonic Rivals was missing the cards, challenges and the other stories. Was also very close on Sonic 1 Master System getting as far as Labyrinth Act 3 but dodgy collision detection in the game dampened any gains. Last year there was the Gaming Challenge where you had to complete games on either the Mega Drive or the SNES, some had other things as well like getting 100%+ on a Donkey Kong Country game. Apart from Bonanza Bros and Super Mario Bros. via Super Mario All-Stars that sadly never made it to completion (got up to World 8 and was like arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh), decided to tackle Sonic 1. Now I've never actually completed Sonic 1 before, got as far as Labyrinth Zone and all my lives lost there but that day something unusual happened.

I have managed to get all the Chaos Emeralds and completed the game, seeing the Good Ending for the first time with my own eyes (have seen Internet images before of the ending but not when the game is running). It felt strange going through the game with areas that haven't saw before due to going by different routes and it was also an achievement of actually performing the alternative goal to Spring Yard Zone (Act 2) of getting the right speed and rolling at the right time. It was like a Sonic expert communicated via my mind and was controlling through the game since I couldn't believe it and still can't believe it. Even when writing was shocked by the experience and probably unable to achieve again.

To quote my Backloggery entry for the game, "It took 16 years and thanks to a forum competition, completed the game and never thought that I would!" I was happy for the remaining of the day and very pleased that I've managed to complete one of my first ever games. Sure completing Sonic 1 isn't like completing the later games with all the S ranks or completing Sonic 2 8 bit (especially the Game Gear version) and that I did lose lives so it's not a 1CC like shmup fans but it felt rewarding.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 could also count since I not only completed the stages but also got the Chaos Emeralds too however I can't remember if there were any extras. Didn't get all of the trophies (doing the final stage without losing any lives) and can't remember if there were any S ranks in the game though...

As for whether I can finally complete Sonic 3 (or/and Knuckles) or the rest of my Sonic games 100% remains to be seen. Not Sonic 2 Game Gear though since that seems impossible to me but the others might have a silm chance.

Day 13: Sonic-related achievements most proud of.

Eh, I honestly can't recall anything spectacular or noteworthy compared to the rest of you lot...well... I guess I could note something, but I bet I would be more ridiculed than actually applauded for it:

Back when I was 15, and I had Shadow's spinoff game, I actually bothered to get all 326 different pathway ending titles. I ACTUALLY PLAYED THROUGH THE GAME 326 TIMES! 8 MONTHS OF MY WHOLE LIFE WASTED! GARGH!!!

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 13: Sonic achievements your most proud of

-got all emblems in SA1, Heroes, and twice in SA2

-beat Sonic Labyrinth

-beat all Expert Staff Ghosts in ASRT

Not much to say, Sonic games aren't usually that hard for me to really have any noteworthy achievements.

Day 13: Sonic-related achievements most proud of.

Eh, I honestly can't recall anything spectacular or noteworthy compared to the rest of you lot...well... I guess I could note something, but I bet I would be more ridiculed than actually applauded for it:

Back when I was 15, and I had Shadow's spinoff game, I actually bothered to get all 326 different pathway ending titles. I ACTUALLY PLAYED THROUGH THE GAME 326 TIMES! 8 MONTHS OF MY WHOLE LIFE WASTED! GARGH!!!

Mad man.... you're a mad man.

I got all A ranks in that game and completed Expert mode, but even I wasn't crazy enough to do THAT.

• Thumbs Up 3

My greatest Sonic game achievements, huh…

Well, other than the standard “beating the game” affairs, the greatest game achievement that I can say that I’m actually proud of is getting all 180 emblems in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle some time ago. It was far from easy, however: I never could quite grasp the Kart levels’ controls to any confident degree; the Treasure Hunting levels were a huge hassle; raising Emblem-collecting Chao were a bore; and the less said about getting the All A Ranks emblems, the better. Ultimately, however, after a couple years of on-and-off playing and sheer perseverance, I managed to get them all and unlocked Green Hill -- it was an alright reward, but nothing too special. To this day, I still regret letting my brother canoodling around with my save file and accidentally getting it deleted. Still, though, that I managed to do it at all just makes me feel kinda sorta special. I just wish that the Green Hill reward was all three acts, back-to-back.

Achievements...eh?

Well, one of my earliest Sonic ones, and something I was super proud of at the time was...rather pointless looking back. I beat Hard Mode in Sonic Heroes...yeah, you get nothing for doing that, so 'bragging' rights, I guess (?). Not great considering I don't even like the game.

More pride is put towards getting both chaos and super emeralds in a Sonic 3 and Knuckles run. Yeah, it's something people generally do, but for me it was a great feeling. I mean, I suck at the classics, generally, so managing something like this. So great.

That's all I care to note, the rest aren't really...worth mentioning, personally.

Achievements, huh?

If I had to pick one that's relatively recent, it'd be completing Sonic 2 legit. As a kid, I'd never completed this game 100% without the help of codes (I could play through it and only ever have a few Emeralds by the end), but maybe a few years ago, I attempted to play through the game with Knuckles and shockingly managed to get all the Emeralds before Metropolis Zone (aka That One Level). I later attempted this with Sonic, admittedly with a guide at hand to give me an idea of the ring counts (it was around this time I realized why getting the Emeralds with Knuckles was easy--the ring requirements were lower), and was successful. Playing as Super Sonic in Sonic 2 is one thing, but actually earning the ability is something else altogether.

I also remember when unlocking the Last Story in SA1 was a big deal for me as a kid. I had trouble playing with Big at the time, so I avoided playing his story for the longest time, but reading about how awesome Super Sonic was, I had to tough it out. Learning Big's gameplay was something of an achievement for me just because it didn't make sense the first time I played with him, but actually getting that Last Story after spending more than a semester (I was in 6th grade at the time) trying to get it felt really good. So good that when my dad heard me exclaim that I got Super Sonic... he told me to go to bed (must've been a school night).

I can't really think of anything else that really sticks out to me. I suppose getting the Red Star Rings in Lost World could count, since that certainly wasn't easy and required several replays to find them all.

Getting a named credit in Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. 

So a long time ago, S in the area of balancing team, but with the opportunity to do some other stuff too. 

For two weeks in 2012 I was at Sumo Digital busy working on the game and it was one hell of a learning experience. it was a privilege working on the game and helping to get it into development, as well as learning about/experiencing various modes and items which were cut from the final version (some of which nobody knows about I might add).

Whilst I was mainly doing balancing work, we were also encouraged with trying to find various bugs or exploits during our free time, and I was quite good at this. I found a few minor ones, and then a pretty major one in which the pause menu would pop up during play and wouldn't go away if you did a certain button combination.

I like to think this wouldn't have been fixed had I not found it.

So yeah, that's probably my best 'game' achievement, if it were Sonic in general... then there's this...

aom2yOt.png
  • Thumbs Up 9

For me, the greatest accomplishment is comparatively quite a simple one- I cleared Eggmanland in Unleashed.

I know it's not some crazy feat of skill, and I certainly didn't do it without dying, but the sense of satisfaction I got from FINALLY reaching the goal was immense.

A worthy contender for my top accomplishment would be getting 1000G on Generations. To this day, I still have no idea how I managed to clear the Time Eater without taking damage.

Probably doing EVERYTHING in SA2. I got it when I was five. I didn't manage this until I was like 12-13. I dont think I've done it for any of the dreamcast era games besides that one.

Green Hill wasn't really worth it but the 2P costumes were cool.

Day 13: Sonic Achievements

Completing Sonic games have always been the objective of any fan of the series, but as far as challenges go there are some who seek to go the extra mile and obtain different achievements built in the game such as getting all the Chaos Emeralds, obtain all the Achievements/Trophies in any of the recent modern installments or beat Time Trial records amongst others. Personally, I could say my list of achievements in the series is quite modest, but quite a good one to share for this question, so here I go~

I completed Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3 & Knuckles with all the Chaos Emeralds & Super Emeralds, good endings included. I did this on my Mega Drive at the time when I was young, and even to this day I couldn't believe how I managed to beat these games at such a young age. So beating the classic series at the time was one of the most memorable things from my childhood.

Sonic Adventure 2, aside from the three story arcs, I collected all the Emblems for all the 6 characters (meaning A-Rank every single stage), but to this day I still haven't got all 180 Emblems. I can't find myself patient enough to complete the Chao Garden related Emblems, so it's something I seriously should do someday.

Sonic Advance 1 & 3 were 100% completed with all characters and Chaos Emeralds. Sonic Advance 2, on the other hand... the Chaos Emeralds were the reason why I didn't really manage to beat this game 100%. Will I ever have the patience to finish it someday?

I completed Sonic Rush a long time ago but not 100% though: did both Sonic and Blaze stories as well as the final story segment after collecting all Chaos and Sol Emeralds. However, Sonic Rush Adventure was certainly a game I poured lots and lots of hours to not only finish the main story and collect all the Chaos and Sol Emeralds, but also to do all the side missions, upgrade the ships and S-Rank every single stage.

The moment I got an Xbox 360 back in March 2009 was when I began playing the rest of the modern Sonic games. Much like every game I play on the Xbox 360 I tried to unlock as many Achievements as possible in these games. Sonic '06 and Unleashed were two games that I completed their main stories but never managed to unlock everything (especially '06, I mean... as far as patience went, I did all I could but I had enough of all the crap I went through with '06); the most I collected were 620G in '06 and 780G in Unleashed. However, there are several games where I unlocked every single Achievement; I got 1000G in SEGA Superstar Tennis, SEGA All-Stars Racing, and Sonic Generations, while I finished Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, CD and 4 Episode I for the 200G. I left Sonic 4 Episode II at 190G and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed at 300G, but I am aiming towards finishing at least the latter, so hopefully I'll have another fully achieved Sonic game into the list. =)

100%-ing Heroes was a pain - soo probably that.

My greatest Sonic achievement was probably getting all the Chaos emeralds in Heroes. I lost my data at one point, and to this day I have yet to manage that again (although that's probably due to the fact that Heroes was my only 3D Sonic game for a while, so I didn't have much else to do; nowadays, if I get mad at the special stage I just pop in Sonic Colors or something).

DAY 13: ACHIEVEMENTS

My biggest achievement in terms of Sonic games? That would be beating Sonic 2.

sonic-2-title-screen.jpg

Oh, nononono, Not that Sonic 2. Noooo, far, FAAAAR worse.

509feb67e1e21.jpg

Oooooh, I can't even tell you HOW MUCH THIS GAME KICKED MY ASS WHEN I WAS TEN. 

Chaos Emeralds were hard to find. Bosses damn near impossible and DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THOSE HAND GLIDERS IN SKY HIGH ZONE UGH.

You have no idea how many times I had died time and time again. And sometimes I ended up doing the same things over and over! I DIED IN SECONDS. ON THE FIRST LEVEL. 

Now, let it be known that I am a person who's a-okay with a challenge. But sometimes, we gotta know our limits. The game may have been hard, but at times it was fair enough for me to learn and memorize pretty quickly. 

It took me AGES just to beat this game, and you know what? It was well worth the wait, even despite how long it took me to do so. It was all worth it, beating one of the hardest Sonic games.

Did I mention that I hate those hand gliders?

• Thumbs Up 1