Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

~SSMB Has Cleared Achievement Aptronym Act 13!~

Get them...

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

gfs_42211_2_5.jpg

The guy in the back is a Metarex, right?

It's not just games, you know. Sonic and his friends have also found themselves on the telly and on the pages more times than you can say "Ech." Many of us - not all of us, that would just be inconsiderate, but many of us - likely started with and mostly grew up with the games, but it was only a matter of time before we eventually came across a comic or a programme that displayed the fastest thing alive being a prat doing what he does best. So, at the risk of sounding like Jerry Seinfeld, what was the deal for you? Did you stumble upon Sonic X first? How about SatAM? Fleetway? The OVA? Maybe something that was neither a show or a comic?

Crusher's Thoughts: It would have been the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog due to discovering and watching an episode of it, but that was shortly after I came across Sonic Mega Collection. And with Mega Collection comes four issues and over a hundred covers of the Archie comics. As a younger and dumb(er) individual, it was a slightly surreal experience seeing all of these characters that I knew nothing about (my first reaction upon seeing Sally Acorn was comparing her design with Coco Bandicoot), not to mention seeing the covers themselves without any sort of context. Are Sonic and Robotnik actually fighting in hand-to-hand combat in this grand finale? What's with all the echidnas? Why is Sonic in the middle of nowhere all by himself? Why does Robotnik look completely different at first, but then suddenly resembles the game version later on? And who's this Emperor Velo-looking dude with the beard?

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 3

Zone 14: First Non Game-Related Sonic Media

Awwwww yissssssssss

I really can't imagine myself being a Sonic fan if it weren't for this series. Notable episodes that shaped my love for the series were Over the Hill Hero, SSSS Squad, Grounder the Genius, Sonic Breakout, and the episode I watched over and over until infinity as a little 4 year old kid . . .

Sonic's Song.

The setup for this was perfect when I was a kid. The first thing you see in the episode are two weird looking robots setting up a giant bear-trap, and then they turn on the radio... and... that's strange, isn't that the theme song to the Sonic video game?

Then a blue blur dashes by.

"OHMYGOSH IT'S SONIC! LOOK MOMMY, SONICS ON THE TV!!!!"

That moment was so magical to me I just couldn't imagine myself any different.

Just... give me a moment.. *sniff* look, it's my childhood right there, man ;_;

(This episode actually has a couple of really funny jokes that I missed as a kid...)

Actually, true story, this is the first time I ever saw Tails in the series. That's right! When I got Sonic 2 as a kid, it excited me beyond comparison to see Tails on the SEGA Genesis! It was just like the show, and I was a happy kid. Couldn't figure out why he was orange, though.

Well, my main point is that I would not be a Sonic fan if this show did not exist. You literally have this show to blame for me being around these forums.

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 14:

I cant remember which came  sonic heroes, or the sonic comics, I got one of those 20 variety packs of them as a kid(which I do think included Endgame directors edition, I remember the cover), but I do have to say out of all of them the Knuckles' Chaotix adaption, and really enjoyed myself. While they werent high art, I enjoyed them at the time, and still have fond memories, and still have the Chaotix adaption in my stuff, some of the other comics I had too. Also watched an episode of Satam on VHS

So ya, that was one of my first interactions

14/30 days complete, almost halfway there

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

I can't remember per-se, but I think it would have been Sonic X first. Right off the heels of Sonic Heroes I pretty much found a new platforming hero to enjoy, and the anime brought that joy up much higher. I remember waiting for the newest episode of Sonic X on 4Kids TV and get bummed it was over til the next Saturday.

With that said, I think (thanks memory) it may have crossed over with discovering Sonic Central (that microsite of SEGA of America's main site? The, ahem, "U.S." equivalent of this place? Yeah...). I remember checking out the site and saw they have downloadable business cards or whatever promoting Sonic X as well. 

Yep. I think I saw this before I played my first game. I had no idea what Sonic was, I just loved his charming little self and everything else about this show. (Legitimately thought for awhile that the show came first and then had like 50 games made from it.)

Watching it today, I still love it. It's my favorite Sonic animation thing...that's not the OVA of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think AoStH and SatAM were the first non-Sonic game media I saw way back in '94 when they aired on Channel 4 in the UK. They also aired on TCC, A long-defunct cartoon channel that used to air on Cable back then.

I distinctly remember that I'd hardly miss an episode. Heck! I even still remember the times they would air at, 11am and 2:30pm. The thing about TCC was that they would make no distinction between SatAM and AoStH and advertised AoStH. Sometimes, they'd even show AoStH's intro yet play a SatAM episode directly after the intro. Another quirk was that SatAM episodes always had AoStH's credits sequence, not it's own.

So anyways, I was a fan of both but when I "rediscovered" AoStH years later on the internet, it's terribad animation and annoying plots and characters turned me off it. Whilst I feel that SatAM is still pretty great.

EDIT: There's even an advertisement for it;

http://youtu.be/iUkqbkCsV3w?t=2m10s

Heh! I memorized the times right then!

• Thumbs Up 1

The first non-game Sonic media I came across (or remember coming across, at least) was AoStH.

It was 1998, a particularly rainy day in Stoke-on-Trent. Whenever this happened, the hall was set up with games and other things so we could have indoor play, and you usually had to stick to one sector throughout the session. On this session, the TV was set up in the top-left corner, and the teachers had put in AoStH on VHS. Despite not playing Sonic for a while, I was still drawn to the show for the fact it was Sonic, and I spent all of that half-hour sat in front of the TV watching the cartoon happily. I remember the episode too, it was Tails' New Home. Quite a memorable episode, if I may say so.

It's weird though. I have memories of elements of Sonic Underground from way back even though I don't remember watching an episode of it properly until much, much later. And SatAM was the last show I saw episodes of for certain.

None of those really influenced me as a fan later in my life though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some show had this. I think I saw it before I was actually introduced to Sonic.

Auggie_The_Aardvark.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog of course! I remember watching it a lot in England when I was there to see my family since I lived in Holland at the time and they didn't have the show there. As a 4 year old, I was fascinated by Sonic and Tails' wacky adventures and I even thought the characters were really cute! In fact, I think it was this cartoon in particular that started my early fascination with Sonic the Hedgehog! ^^

Of course I used to love the cartoon back then, but when I got into Sonic again and tried rewatching it...not so much. XD

This one is actually pretty clear in my head but the first bit of non-gaming sonic media that I've played would probably be adventures of sonic the hedgehog. I remember back when I was a kid and disney didn't suck I would watch it on toon disney anytime when it came on, though of course since the show came on sometime around midnight or after and I didn't know how tv programs worked back then I would only sometimes catch it but it was basically my childhood show from the first time I watched it (I believe it was some time after playing sonic adventure when I first saw it, or the other way around).

I first came across the shows on YouTube once and since then I've watched a couple of Satam episodes.

I know this question is about your first non game Sonic media, but I want to mention the comics quickly. Archie: Just started reading. Started on issue 258. Sonic the Comic: Haven't read.

Day 14: First non-game piece of Sonic media?

Ah, now this is an interesting one.

Back in primary school, around 2001/02, I used to get walked home with my brother and two of our parents' friends' sons once a week. What would happen is that we would walk to their house and wait for a few hours for my Mum and Dad to come and pick us up. So, what did I do as a self-respecting slacker? I watched T.V. of course!

I didn't know it at the time, but every week I was watching Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog -- the nutty Sonic cartoon with the trippy background and the slapstick. I was certainly drawn to it; the strange painted backgrounds that cartoons at the time had drew my eye, and there was enough going on to keep me interested. In fact, it wasn't until last year when I looked up AoStH and realised that was the one I'd seen. It felt like a piece of my past slotted into place.

Definitely not my sort of show these days, and I remember none of it, but I'm glad I saw it when I did.

Sonic X. I watched it almost religiously as a child after I was introduced to the franchise by Sonic Heroes, though I watched it a bit before. I still thought Sonic & co. were mutant talking dogs other than just anthromorphic animals, and I even watched it with my sister occasionally who thought the same thing. Good times, they were.

First non-game related Sonic media?

Sonic X.

I watched it, liked a few episodes and hated others. It was alright but the dubbing and edits made it worse.

Oh yeah, watched all the episodes twice without feeling any suffer.

STH36.jpg

One day, when I was in a convenience store, I saw this book on the Comic Book Rack. This was my first actual issue of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog.

Since then I've been reading the Archie Comics for the past 15+ years. :D

• Thumbs Up 3

the first non sonic sonic reference? that is a tough one. I have been into it a long time smile.png. however, i do remember this blue hedgehog from ancient Egypt.

CUR.65.2.1_view2_erg2.jpg

I found it ironic that These Egyptians had a blue hedgehog way back when.   

Another non sonic related cameo is  

DKCHeroes2.png

I always thought this was kinda interesting from Donkey Kong country.... back in the rivalry days!

EDIT: Miss understood AGAIN! tongue.png

Okay, the first media of Sonic ever... AoSTH!  I Remember knowing Sonic existed as a kid, but never knew much since the only image in my memory I had of him was him standing with tails on some path. 

I can't find an exact image. But I remember watching that show when I was 4 or 5 years old. I was not reintroduced to sonic again until Sonic X.

Day 14: First peice of not game Sonic media.

2003. I was just starting secondary school. Me and my best friend were in a big Sonic phase. We played Adventure 2 religously. Then one day, my friend said he'd turned on his Tv and saw a cartoon of Sonic on CITV. We were both shocked and looked it up in a TV magazine, yeah remember those? It was a brand new show, Sonic X. My friend set a tape to record it the next week. On our walk home, we passed an electronics store, we saw it. Sonic, wearing what we thought was a scouter, destroying laser turrets. Sold. I still have to say, the early episodes are kinda fun. Chris wasn't as over bearing and it was a lot of fun too. It was when CITV aired the episodes after Eggmans base blew up, was when I began to question a few episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 14: First Non-Sonic related media

Aosth like the rest of us. Recorded on an old VHS tape unearthed from the dinosaur era.

Specifically it was two epsiodes in particular, 'Mobius 5000' and 'Robotnik's Pirate Scheme'. Don't know why those two episodes, but definitely two of the better episodes in the series.

That'd have to be AoSTH on Toon Disney. I think it was in 1999 when I was living with my (now late) grandmother and cousins. I saw an episode of it on TV (in pretty low quality if memory serves) in the background and watched it. I loved it back then. Probably why I still like it today.

Day 14~! XD

AoStHtitle.jpg

This show right here. My childhood. My reason for knowing Sonic and being a fan of him. Just everything about this show tickled me as a kid. I'm easy to entertain and I love goofy cartoons everything in this show I adore.

And I still do today. Just I love this show, I love the characters, I love the silly animation, the bright colors, the jokes, the gags, the little plot episodes, just EVERYTHING.

Now that I think about it, I should sit down and watch it again. 8D 

• Thumbs Up 1

First non game media:

AdventuresofSonicTheHedgehog.jpg

Ah yes, bliss. When I was a youngster, I had no idea video games could have extensive media and universes. So, on a day to a local shopping centre, I came across a selection of DVDs with Sonic on them, which happened to be AoStH. Without thinking, I picked them up and asked my parents to buy them. Boy am I happy I did. I now own every episode of the show, along with every episode of the other two Classic shows (not to forget the extensive Sonic X collection we have in the UK is also with them).

Yup, I might have to watch some now! actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 14: First Non-Game Sonic Thingamajig

Sonic Underground. And unless I had obtained and played Sonic & Knuckles Collection beforehand, it...may have been the first Sonic related thing I had ever seen.

drinking-alcohol-with-garcinia.jpg

More specifically--well, I'm actually not sure what episode, since I'm not very well versed in that show. I sorta vaguely remember a scene in a forest-y area, but that's it.

Aside from that, the first of the comics I had heard about was Sonic the Comic, but I started reading Archie Sonic long before getting into StC at all, and even then through the online continuation rather than the more official thing. Oh, and SATam was the first cartoon I watched in full...come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've seen every episode of AOSTH...one of these days, I suppose.

Technically it was AoStH but what a boring answer because at the time I didn't give a shit about what I was watching and literally changed the channel after a few minutes.

This baby was what got me into the series:

7TWJZIR.jpg

It was a fun (if a bit angsty) story with incredible art and a vicious fight sequence. I adore Spaz's old art style and it was what got me into drawing Sonic. I wouldn't have later gotten into the games if it weren't for this issue, even if it's very non-indicative.

• Thumbs Up 5

Remember the "" matter I brought up during a previous question? Seems appropriate to talk about one part of it here.

As I've mentioned in that post, the first non-game Sonic media I came in the form of a cartoon, more specifically, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Nowadays I don't think that's a particularly good example of the franchise - I'm not even sure if I thought it was genuinely good then either, but that's not what matters. What matters is that it sparked interest. Which brings us to my first point: is there something that, right from the first contact with a certain property, makes us more inclined to be following fans of it later on? I believe there is. In the past I would have said that aspect is familiarity, being similar to what we already know, but better. Today, I find the exact opposite is true: it's something that is new to us. When I saw AoStH, I may have not thought it was a great show, but I thought "Hey, this is fresh. This is different from all the other talking animal cartoons. It's something I'd like to see more of."

This can come up, like most things related to taste, consciously or subconsciously. As in, you don't necessarily have to actively seek things related to the franchise; having it stand out for you is enough. In my case, that meant looking at the Sonic games one day and recognizing they were related to the show, which in turn means I'm more willing to invest myself into something I'm positively associated with.

So that was my first interaction with non-game Sonic media, and in fact with anything to do with Sonic. I'd go on about how one establishes themselves as a fan properly, but that would be going into the games which for the moment would be out of topic. As it stands, though, that first bit I had with AoStH was important for me to be truly interested in the Sonic series rather than thinking of it as just another game fanchise I enjoyed.

BGmpvYI.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 14: My First Non-Game Introduction to Sonic: 

Back around 2004, when I first discovered Sonic through Heroes, I was only interested in the games and toys.

But in 2008, when I was hyping up Unleashed, I heard about a little comic adaptation:

SonicSelectVol9-731.jpg

Needless to say, I was curious, so I picked up Issue #192 (the one before the adaptation), and to my surprise: 

sth192_2.jpg

I remember my exact thoughts: "WHOA! An evil green Sonic?! And TWO Metals?!" Since that day, I've been a loyal subscriber to the Archie Comics, and I'm still loving them!

• Thumbs Up 3