Awoo.

22 year old running the London Marathon in a Sonic costume for Leukaemia Care

Willsy

http://www.leukaemiacare.org.uk/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-to-pound-pavement-in-london-marathon

It takes dedication, strength and discipline to run a gruelling 26.2-mile marathon course. But it takes something else to complete the challenge wearing a sweltering head-to-toe fancy dress costume.

However, this hasn’t stopped 22-year-old Lewis Griffiths, from York, who will running this year’s Virgin Money London Marathon in a 5kg Sonic the Hedgehog costume.

Lewis is running for us as he knows all too well the impact a blood cancer diagnosis can have on people – both at the time of diagnosis and post treatment, after his cousin was diagnosed with leukaemia at the age of 19.

Whilst his cousin has now been cured of leukaemia, he will need multiple hip replacements, a late effect of chemotherapy treatment, which can affect bone density. Late effects are uncommon, but can be experienced by some people following chemotherapy treatment.

Lewis is also taking on the feat to help with his own personal rehabilitation after several operations on his right leg since the age of 17 as a result of football injuries.

Lewis said: “I am so pleased to be running for Leukaemia CARE and cannot wait for race day. From my cousin’s experience, I know that blood cancers can be beaten but the after effects of treatment can impact on people’s lives for a long time after recovery.

“Leukaemia CARE support people at the time of diagnosis and beyond, and help people to deal with issues that may affect them after treatment. As well as this, I wanted to get my confidence back and what better way than running 26 grueling miles to test myself, whilst also raising money for charity?”

If you’d like to show your support you can donate via Lewis’ online giving page http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LewisGriffiths1

Wow, that is a really nice thing of him to do! My family don't usually do sponsors for the London Marathon as we support other charities, but I'm definitely going to ask my parents if we can sponsor him.

• Thumbs Up 7

I donated £5. Such a large act of kindness can't go ignored. I'll be sure to spread the word too!

*image only post*

DBZHedgy,

Image-only posts are against the rules as they are considered to be SPAM, which doesn't contribute to discussion whatsoever. Looking at this image, I have no idea what your intentions were along with the idea you was trying to get across and anyone else can't be sure of that as either seeing that you didn't mention or write a single thing explaining such. 

When you make a post, at least put down a thought or two, as effort is required when posting here on the forum. Keep in mind a long paragraph isn't necessary. You can post images in your posts if you wish, but that can't be the only thing you put in the post as you have to write something beyond a word or two as doing so provides discussion which you are to do here per the rules at SSMB if you wish to post.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Ironic that this man's last name is Griffiths, cause of Sonic's first proper voice actor's name too.

Anyway, it's gonna be tough for this guy. I know two kids, both aged 16, who have fought off leukaemia so this is definitely nice to see. Luckily the two kids I know are from Sweden where the best treatment and survival rate for leukaemia can be found.

More power to this awesome person! If I had the spare money to donate I absolutely would but I'll signal boost if nothing else. I just hope there are plenty of pictures of this because the idea of Sonic running the streets of London sounds super cute to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hah, wow. That's great.
Especially remembering how out of place Sonic looked surrounded by humans in Sonic adventure, that picture of Sonic running the marathon is fantastic.