Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

I think it's assumed that Wily's newest creation, Zero, wiped them all out. Thus a sick and dieing Dr. Light was forced to create Megaman x. Though I could be completely wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Zero killing Mega Man is the stupidest theory ever to the point where it had to be denied by Inafune in one interview because people kept asking about it. EDIT: Yeah, same one that Serperior linked to.

I liken the X series to that of an alternate future to not worry about what happened to the original cast. It's better that way, despite everyone seemingly wanting Capcom to explain the gap between the two games.

• Thumbs Up 5

Something I've been curious about ever since I got into the series: Has any explanation been given as to what happened to Mega Man, Proto Man, Bass, or any other robots in X's timeline? I know X happens 100 years after the classic series but shouldn't the robots still be "alive"?

Proto Man has an unstabe energy core that Dr. Light says will kill him if it doesn't get fixed in one of the Mega Man arcade games. Proto Man refuses to get it fixed, as he thinks Dr. Light will reprogram him to be like Mega Man and Roll, forced to stick around his lab rather than being able to free, so it's assumed that that is what killed him. It's never mentioned what happens to any of the others though, and it likely never will, as that would go against the tone that the classic series has.

I think it's assumed that Wily's newest creation, Zero, wiped them all out. Thus a sick and dieing Dr. Light was forced to create Megaman x. Though I could be completely wrong.

This is false. Keiji Inafune said so himself, for proof, click here.

Edited by Serperior
  • Thumbs Up 1

Zero killing Mega Man is the stupidest theory ever to the point where it had to be denied by Inafune in one interview because people kept asking about it.

I liken the X series to that of an alternate future to not worry about what happened to the original cast. It's better that way, despite everyone seemingly wanting Capcom to explain the gap between the two games.

I've only played the first 3 X games. The first is my 2nd favorite Mega Man game, the 2nd was good, but I didn't like the music, and the 3rd was sadly forgotten (SNES version). I have X4, and REALLY need to get off my butt and play it.

I always been a huge Mega nut...it has been dormant inside of me for a while, but recently its really starting to come out more and more.

Megaman X1 is my absolute favorite Mega game followed closely by Mega 8. I also abosultely adore the concept and the story through out X1 to X6 then to Zero 4.

Edited by Voy-Boy

Mega Man 3 is my favorite.

The weapons were more balanced (Metal Blade was too overpowered and some of the weapons were useless), the music was better IMO (Title theme, Top Man, Spark Man, Wily Stage 3-4), and I'm so skilled a it I can beat very Robot Master with my Mega Buster.

I love it! Anyone else love or at least likes Mega Man 3

Mega Man 3 is my favorite.

The weapons were more balanced (Metal Blade was too overpowered and some of the weapons were useless), the music was better IMO (Title theme, Top Man, Spark Man, Wily Stage 3-4), and I'm so skilled a it I can beat very Robot Master with my Mega Buster.

I love it! Anyone else love or at least likes Mega Man 3

Metal Blade was overpowered, but that's what made it cool. Until you got to an obstacle it didn't work on. And some of the weapons weren't useless until you found a use, which is pretty cool. For example, the Bubble Lead can be used in one of the Wily Fortress stages (4, I think) to reveal where the fake floors are. It also got rid of those annoying guys who go fast when you step on the floor and spring up and FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Metal Blade was overpowered, but that's what made it cool. Until you got to an obstacle it didn't work on. And some of the weapons weren't useless until you found a use, which is pretty cool. For example, the Bubble Lead can be used in one of the Wily Fortress stages (4, I think) to reveal where the fake floors are. It also got rid of those annoying guys who go fast when you step on the floor and spring up and FUUUUUUUUUUUU

I just recently picked up X4 and X8 on eBay. X4 in particular was the first Mega Man game I ever played (I distinctly recall the Dr. Light capsule under the waterfall, anyway). X8 was recommended by a friend of mine and it looks as good as the earlier titles.

And part of the reason is due to what I said in my previous post, about not having much familiarity with a majority of the X games aside from X1 and bits of X4. Only makes sense that I start with the more well-received titles.

Play X5; while I won't deny that it's extremely nostalgic for me (first Megaman game I've ever played), I do think it still holds up on its own merits. While it may not be as great as X4, the gameplay is still absolutely fantastic, and the armor upgrades are far improved from the previous games if memory serves.

If you can find it cheap, check it out! ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking into the Megaman "story" a bit more recently and when one truly thinks about it... it's rather sad.

Think about it if you will.

Classic Megaman saw about 10 titles, all of which he fought his robot brethren due to Dr. Wily trying to take over the world or whatnot. One has to assume this has taken place over the course of quite a few years. Then you got the X series. Megaman X was created by Dr. Light, whom has labeled X as the new type of robot, on who can think for himself and has limit potential, thus the name X (Megaman Maverick Hunter X: Day of Sigma). Which got me thinking, did Classic Megaman lack the ability to think for himself? Was he just simply following orders? Did he just use the "computing" skills he was built with to determine that Light would want the chaos Wily sent out onto the world to stop, so logic dictated that he stop them to make his master happy?

Yea, I know I'm probably thinking too much into it, but it's fun to discuss (which I already did with a few friends).

You also can't help but see what a sad story Megaman can be. In the classic Megaman games, true piece was never truly achieved due to Wily and his endeavors. Then when X rolled around reploids started going Maverick and there was the dreaded Zero virus going around as well. Humans and Reploids never saw eye to eye and countless amounts of war and struggle broke loose. Then there comes the Megaman Zero story, where you learn that after Zero was tucked away in his hundred year slumber, there was an all out war between the Humans and Reploids where X lost his physical body. Poor guy never caught a break and fought to the very end. Soon during the Zero saga Zero was fighting constantly to protect those of the resistance from Neo Arcadia which he fought for quite some time to just see his end in MMZ 4. Then it all pretty much happens again in ZX and ZXA.

When you think about it more and grow a bit wiser throughout the years, you realize that in the Megaman stories, no true piece was achieved until a few thousand(?) years in the Legends arc and Exe arc (if you want to count those towards that story line).

Man, I love Megaman XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking into the Megaman "story" a bit more recently and when one truly thinks about it... it's rather sad.

Think about it if you will.

Classic Megaman saw about 10 titles, all of which he fought his robot brethren due to Dr. Wily trying to take over the world or whatnot. One has to assume this has taken place over the course of quite a few years. Then you got the X series. Megaman X was created by Dr. Light, whom has labeled X as the new type of robot, on who can think for himself and has limit potential, thus the name X (Megaman Maverick Hunter X: Day of Sigma). Which got me thinking, did Classic Megaman lack the ability to think for himself? Was he just simply following orders? Did he just use the "computing" skills he was built with to determine that Light would want the chaos Wily sent out onto the world to stop, so logic dictated that he stop them to make his master happy?

Yea, I know I'm probably thinking too much into it, but it's fun to discuss (which I already did with a few friends).

You also can't help but see what a sad story Megaman can be. In the classic Megaman games, true piece was never truly achieved due to Wily and his endeavors. Then when X rolled around reploids started going Maverick and there was the dreaded Zero virus going around as well. Humans and Reploids never saw eye to eye and countless amounts of war and struggle broke loose. Then there comes the Megaman Zero story, where you learn that after Zero was tucked away in his hundred year slumber, there was an all out war between the Humans and Reploids where X lost his physical body. Poor guy never caught a break and fought to the very end. Soon during the Zero saga Zero was fighting constantly to protect those of the resistance from Neo Arcadia which he fought for quite some time to just see his end in MMZ 4. Then it all pretty much happens again in ZX and ZXA.

When you think about it more and grow a bit wiser throughout the years, you realize that in the Megaman stories, no true piece was achieved until a few thousand(?) years in the Legends arc and Exe arc (if you want to count those towards that story line).

Man, I love Megaman XD

Wait, weren't .exe and Star force in an alternate universe where Light went into Internet Research rather than Robotics?

Battle Network and Star Force are in their own timeline. Legends is the end of the main Mega Man timeline. I don't really like the idea of the series being bridged together.

My favorite series is Classic. Then Legends.

Not a big fan of the X series. Everyone says it's great, and it's not BAD, but it lacks the charm I like that Classic and Legends had. Its story feels so dark in comparison, and I really think the character design sucks.

Wait, weren't .exe and Star force in an alternate universe where Light went into Internet Research rather than Robotics?

that's not even Light in Battle Network, but basically.

EDIT:

Which got me thinking, did Classic Megaman lack the ability to think for himself? Was he just simply following orders? Did he just use the "computing" skills he was built with to determine that Light would want the chaos Wily sent out onto the world to stop, so logic dictated that he stop them to make his master happy?

fans generally say that what separates Classic Mega Man from X is that Classic had to follow certain rules. For example, he couldn't hurt humans. It's not as if he didn't have ANY will. Edited by Solly

Idk to be truly honest, thus why I said "If you want to count those towards the story line,." Although when MMBN4 came out you could connect it to MMZ3 and get the Z-saber and in MMZ3 the text said "connect with another world" or something along those lines.

fans generally say that what separates Classic Mega Man from X is that Classic had to follow certain rules. For example, he couldn't hurt humans. It's not as if he didn't have ANY will.

it's just weird for Light to say that since the whole time I thought that Classic was that very thing... a being that could think for himself. Would make sense though if he was bound by the rules of robotics though, seeing how he could have simply killed Wily and ended it all there, given that's debatable seeing how Capcom (at the time) didn't want the series to end.

Play X5; while I won't deny that it's extremely nostalgic for me (first Megaman game I've ever played), I do think it still holds up on its own merits. While it may not be as great as X4, the gameplay is still absolutely fantastic, and the armor upgrades are far improved from the previous games if memory serves.

If you can find it cheap, check it out! wink.png

I'm currently playing X5 in an emulator. To be honest, I don't think it's very good so far!

EDIT:

Aww. D:

What don't you like about it?

I'll play a few more levels and get back to you on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm currently playing X5 in an emulator. To be honest, I don't think it's very good so far!

Aww. D:

What don't you like about it?

So umm, does anyone read the comics? If not I'd advise you to do so, because they are pretty goddamn fantastic if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hate X5 as well for 3 reasons.

1. lots of forced backtracking for powerups. I like to get them all in one set path with minimal backtracking.

2. Some armor pieces are annoying as hell to get. Specifically the one you have to get from the ridebike section

3. The stupid countdown thing. They do give you enough days to complete everything, but it's really annoying to me nonetheless.

X series overall is one of my favorites, with Starforce being my second favorite.

So umm, does anyone read the comics? If not I'd advise you to do so, because they are pretty goddamn fantastic if you ask me.

Edited by Ekaje

Okay I just played half of the maverick stages and I'm still not impressed. Here's why:

Grizzly Slash. Boring stage, repetitive.

Squid Adler. I can't even beat the vehicle section in the beginning. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Izzy Glow. Uses the same obstacles over and over. It gets old after a while.

Duff McWhalen. Fuck this sub-boss forever. I haven't gotten around to beating this yet, because I got too frustrated with the slow pace. The actual fights with the robo whale are manageable, but the auto-scrolling segment before it is plain horrible. When it fires its laser, it gives you absolutely no time to react, so it's like you have to memorize when it shoots.

I don't care for the duck move either, and every obstacle and attack that requires you to use it is a bit of a pain. Particularly because the Mega Man games are meant to be designed so you wouldn't need such a move.

Oh god the Duff McWhalen sub boss.... I don't find phase 1 so bad, but phase 2 is annoying.

BTW Sean, do you have Autofire turned on for the ridebike section? It makes it a lot easier. You'll have to collect all the energy orbs if you want the armor piece though.

Edited by Solkia

There's also an auto-charge, if I'm not mistaken. If you're playing as X, the Fourth Armor is invaluable, too.

Grizzly Slash. Boring stage, repetitive.
Edited by Masaru Daimon

I actually like X5 over X4, that's not to say I think X4 is bad, I just think X5 is a better game, the stages are generally better designed, the music's a lot more memorable, X's weapons are more useful, there's two/three armors available, (I don't like how the game forces you to get all of the pieces before you can use them though.) and you aren't forced into using X only/Zero only unless Eurasia crashes.

X1 and X4 are so incredibly streamlined that I'm less keen on X5 because there's just so much shit that gets in your way that tries to stop you. I don't like X5's levels because they're designed to slow you down, and the gimmicks are too frustratingly slow without really being all that interesting on their own. I like it when I'm dashing the fuck through a stage and trying to kill every enemy in my way while dodging attacks. I don't like screwing around with timed switches, slow-ass stage-long sub-bosses, and twiddling my thumbs while on a moving platform.

Right now I'm playing X8 for the first time. That game has gimmick stages too but at least the levels are still designed to keep you moving, and despite some frustrating moments, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I am X5.

I feel that X8 is probably the most underrated of all the games in the X series. It's not as great as X1-4 but it's a godsend compared to the crap in in X6 and X7and has much less convoluted gameplay mechanics compared to X5. Since I was introduced to the X series and Megaman in general through X4 I've always preferred Zero's melee combat, thus X8 is actually my second favorite for making Zero so much fun to play.