Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

Eh, played it, and felt as if casual mode was annoying regarding its level design and enemy placement at points. Mind you I’m not much of a megaman guy, and I get the games are about difficulty, but still.

It took me a few tries, but I finally managed to defeat Block Man on 'Normal' mode. (Felt more like Hard mode at times...)

Gameplay feels solid, I didn't have any issues with how Mega Man controls. The Double-Gear system is... interesting, I guess. While I liked using the Speed Gear a good amount, I didn't get much use out of the Power Gear. Then again, I didn't really use the given Robot Master weapons much either, so that might change for me in the full game.

The enemy selection is alright. The ones I had the most difficulty with, oddly enough, were the small yellow flying bots. But this was mostly due to the final section of the stage. I didn't have much issue with the others after fighting the first of each.

As for Block Man himself... yeah, he put up a good fight. It was strange having a Robot Master boss being split into three phases, but I don't mind the added variety.

Overall, I'm very much looking forward to the release of the full game. I had some worries about how this new installment could turn out, but for now, those concerns are mostly alleviated.

The demo reminded me how much I suck at Mega Man games. Yep, this is Mega Man through and through.

If Block Man's level is indicative of the rest of the game, they totally nailed it. It's as if Mega Man never left.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Double Gears do tweak the gameplay a bit, but not to the degree of it making it Easy Mode and being enforced. My first run of it, I didn’t use the Double Gear at all, just relying on the being patient and observant to get through. 

In actuality, the two Gears come off as being “Bonus Mode” toggles. Use the Speed Gear, you can progress through the area faster and get some goodies like the E-tank, but you have to cognizant of how fast things are moving so you can take full advantage of it. Use the Power Gear, you can mow through obstacles...that you could already do so with your normal kit. Some things are still invincible against the Power Gear, so you still have to know what you’re doing and not go in guns blazing. If you know what you’re doing, abuse it and go all in. The Robot Master weapons even have a Super Attack in Power Gear to let you have fun in it.

The Two Gears are a fun tweak to the system, that doesn’t patronize the player in using to them to make the game Super Easy Mode. Clear design to me.

Played the demo on a friend's PS4 today. I enjoyed it, and while there were a few big curveball moments (the mini-boss was really hard for me to figure out at first, and I even got a game over on it), they were nothing I wasn't able to overcome with some practice. That's just how classic Mega Man generally works and unless it's Rockman & Forte we're talking about, I can adapt to things as long as I'm dedicated to replaying parts of stages over and over until I get them right. I'm not a fan of the boss. I think its giant form is pretty frustrating, especially if you don't use gear powers.

I don't have much else to say about the demo since it feels like standard Mega Man other than that, but I liked it.

I have been playing the hell out of the demo on both my Switch and my PS4. This game looks and plays great on both systems.

Now, the demo itself... The gameplay is solid, the controls are super tight, and the double gear system is a breath of fresh air for the series. The game doesn't use it as a side gimmick either, it's a very helpful tool in many situations. The enemy selection in this stage is good, except those yellow flying bots can get stuffed (they're not bad in most cases, but the placement of them in some areas can get you in the worst positions).

After a bit of practice, I've figured out Block Man's patterns, and I can cheese through his boss with no issues now. Hell, if I try a little more, I can do his fight without taking any damage. Taking a step forward, I can do most of the stage without taking damage, but I'm still practicing the run.

Though I was excited for Mega Man 11, a lot of my excitement didn't hold for long (I got bored). Well, this demo shot that excitement right back up, and I'm considering pre-ordering this, especially since a physical copy of the Switch version is oddly scarce in my area, so if anything comes up, I want to secure my copy.

This game is crazy good from what I've played, feels like a true evolution of Mega Man, and is everything that Mighty No. 9 wishes it was.

why does mega man sound like a teenager in english? his japanese voice at least lets him sound as young as he looks

Coro Coro has just announced an exclusive one-shot Rockman 11 manga:

20180901155218_P01.jpg

Looks like you'll be able to enjoy some Mega Man 11 in manga form as well! Coro Coro revealed that they're publishing a Mega Man 11 manga, which is being put together by Ryo Takamisaki (author and illustrator of the Rockman EXE manga). This one-shot manga will be available via Coro Coro Aniki, which goes on sale on September 15th for 667 yen. The manga will be 26 pages.

Come on, IDW. The iron's getting hotter and hotter...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

We already have the Megaman Megamix manga (which is even getting volumes coloured!), and that's enough for Capcom in the comics department. IDW is a publisher, they don't reach out to others to make a comic book series.

30 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

We already have the Megaman Megamix manga (which is even getting volumes coloured!), and that's enough for Capcom in the comics department. IDW is a publisher, they don't reach out to others to make a comic book series.

Which is a major shame. As much as I love Ariga's work, Mega Man deserves more than just a rehashed comic from the 90s.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

I read in the MMX wiki that there were mangas of the X series (or some of them at least)

There were manga adaptations of X1-4. They were actually mostly good, shame it's almost impossible to find completed translated scans of each arc, and there has never been an official western release.

17 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

IDW has no say in this. Archie still have the comic licence as far as anyone knows. 

13 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Which is a major shame. As much as I love Ariga's work, Mega Man deserves more than just a rehashed comic from the 90s.

True. I love Ariga's work too, but I think Megaman deserves new adaptations every now and then.

Since MM11 is coming out, MMX may or may not get a new game, cartoon's airing, and pachinko's playing, there is a possibility IDW will do a brand new comic series. 

Though, I'm not sure what they're supposed to do. They already retold the classic series many times. If it was another series I would understand...

I’m honestly surprised Archie hasn’t tried to cash in on 11’s release, but then that just goes to show how much they like to screw over anything not original now.

But other than that, the comic license might as well be pulled from Archie at this point. Not only has there been no new releases in years, but Archie has gotten to the point where the comic isn’t even displayed on the front page which is meant to show every series on the app. Only way to find it is searching the app itself. It’s kind of clear that Archie don’t give half a shit anymore and now the comic is just sitting dormant because of no reason really while the MM series itself is making a comeback. 

• Absolutely 1

I also played the demo and enjoyed it quite a lot. These robot masters seem fresh and new enough. Can we agree that the difficulty is a bit higher than the already hard Mega Man classic series? I had no issues completing the stage on beginner difficulty though. The new skills are also well used and add something new to the mix.

It felt easier. I mean... sure I got a game over a couple times but it felt like I was able to learn the tricks slightly faster than I was able to in something like Mega Man 9

I think one of the main reasons is that 11 (or at least Block Man's level) isn't constantly blindsiding you with off-screen enemies with erratic flight patterns

35 minutes ago, Sean said:

It felt easier. I mean... sure I got a game over a couple times but it felt like I was able to learn the tricks slightly faster than I was able to in something like Mega Man 9

I think one of the main reasons is that 11 (or at least Block Man's level) isn't constantly blindsiding you with off-screen enemies with erratic flight patterns

I think being in widescreen helps with that somewhat

It felt hard at first, but I'm breezing through it now. I'm nearly able to beat Block Man himself without a lick of damage, and can beat most of his stage without taking any damage either.

Mega Man 11 plays much like Dark Souls, in where you'll fail a few times at first, constant deaths and game overs, but you'll begin to notice a pattern in the stage. Then you exploit that pattern you found, and the game will start to bow down to you. It's quite different to the more erratic patterns of the classic games, but that's been toned down as the years go by. Also, being widescreen helps a lot to your field of vision, for you can actually see what's coming.

Mega Man's Twitter account just uploaded samples of the pre-order-exclusive piano remixes:

Fuse Man's is chill as heck. Gonna be listening to that quite a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

(can I talk about the comics here?)

So Ian had a Bumblekast recently, and I only watched 18 minutes of it but he talked about some of the plans he had with the now "hiatus" Archie Megaman comic.Pasted from the IDW Sonic thread:

#13:25 Original plan for Megaman comic, specifically for Quake & Madam Y?

• Don’t know if ever get chance to “wrap up” the comic (it was planned up to Early 2020).
  • Very general: plan to go through all number game, loosely adapt Gameboy
  • Quake’s story was rediscovering her personality, growing back into it, examine who she used to be & who she is now, deeper investigation to "what makes you, you?", who she became “post-reboot” vs how she was before, how reconcile with different identity. Also build up growing family with Vesper
  • More female robot masters. Dr.Light builds mostly dudes, so Dr. lalinde can build a few female ones. Not that any other scientists is prolific as Dr.Light (he is “THE builder”) but other scientists follow suit
  • Madam Y right hand to Mr.X, probably stick with Wily after MM6.
  • Play around timeline in closed timeloop with Quint.
  • Just kinda go along from there….
  • Had plans to acknowledge MM Soccer, “Neeeeeeeh” when mentioned Battle&Chase
  • Mention Strategy? (the one with the mayor).
  • Want to acknowledge PC with “cheap foreign knockoffs of other robot masters”, but depend on what Capcom will let them do.
  • Some “go hogwild”, other had to finagle or outright drop.

13 minutes ago, Digidestined CC14 said:

The stylish skater Tundra Man is the semifinal Robot Master reveal!

When I first saw this guy on the box art, I immediately though, "UGGGHH, another ice Robot Master?!"

Then he turns out to not just be the most creative one yet, but one of the most unique Robot Masters ever.

These are good times we live in.

Capcom just revealed the TGS trailer, including a look at Tundra Man's stage and our first look at Acid Man's stage and fight.

Speaking of Acid Man... here's what he looks like.

Image result for mega man 11 acid man

The last Robot Master for Mega Man to hunt down and eliminate. Currently the only thing besides the TGS 2018 trailer I found is the artwork, but still it's good enough.

Man, they're going all out on those robot designs.

I like how unique they look. Some of them are different from the past formula, while others keep the traditional look yet still have something unexpected. I'm guessing this was inevitable, since there are so many fan designs nowadays. Some people been saying it's taking traits from X, but I can't really see it. Looks different from the robots in X imo. Looks a bit more like MMBN (I heard the designers worked on the series). Also, maybe it's just me, but the details reminds me of Ariga's style.

I'm really looking forward to the Production Notes. Hopefully they have rejected designs & robot masters on them.

• Thumbs Up 1