Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

• 2 weeks later...

...well then. Sounds like there were a few interesting ideas, but also some very bad ones and the aesthetics are completely wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

First thing that popped into my mind:

256px-BombActZerobox.jpg

Total nonsense. 

This is one Mega Man game I think most people would be glad to see canned. Thank god. 

Edited by Solly

Although I hate the idea of the gritty reboot...the only thing that makes me wish maybe this had gone through is that this was by the former heads of Retro, and was only 6 months into development...Another 2 years or so with some changes this game might've been pretty awesome...

Edited by ChaosXVI

Looking at the videos and the screenshots, the first thing that, unfortunately, came to my mind, is Bomberman: Act Zero. There was a couple of neat gameplay ideas, and the pace was a step in the right direction for an FPS game, but they got pretty much everything else wrong, especially the aesthetic. Mega Man just doesn't work with that kind of aesthetic. It just looks like a generic FPS with third-person takedowns ala Human Revolution (which I considered rather jarring).

Seriously, why is his buster a machine gun?!

Also, just an fyi, just because a couple of dudes from Retro were working on this doesn't mean it could've been good. Just saying.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Although I hate the idea of the gritty reboot...the only thing that makes me wish maybe this had gone through is that this was by the former heads of Retro, and was only 6 months into development...Another 2 years or so with some changes this game might've been pretty awesome...

6 months and they already had cutscenes and voice acting?! damn, thats fast work.

Urgh I hate FPS. Instant turn off.

Not only that it looks generic as heck. I'm sure this would have been released if Capcom still had interest in Megaman.

• Thumbs Up 3

Define "work right". That just looks like a generic deathmatch FPS with Megaman themed art and weapons.

Define "work right". That just looks like a generic deathmatch FPS with Megaman themed art and weapons.

Play it, its more then just a generic Doom mod now.

Honestly the game looks fun, and the video made it look like a FPS version of Vanquish.

Just shouldn't have been a Mega Man game. I'd play it though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Keep in mind guys a MM FPS can work if done right, and it already has with old tech:

http://cutstuff.net/mm8bdm/

I wouldn't say it can't be done, but it's really hard to make.

The hardest part is to make it as enjoyable as an actual side-scroller Mega Man game with dashing, different weapons and charge shots. (Dodging enemies' shots in a First Person Shooter can be very lame.)

I've played a Mega Man mod for Half-Life, it wasn't so good truthfully.

I'm gonna try this game anyway, it seems nice.

Edit: What are the recommended requirements for this game? xD

Edited by Mysterious X

It's less risky to simply come up with another Mega Man series for the FPS genre rather than try to adapt an existing one's formula. Battle Network and Legends succeeded because they did their own thing while still capturing the spirit of the franchise. I honestly wouldn't mind having a Mega Man FPS if it still felt like an appropriate addition to the mythos, but this was not the way to do it. Even as a game, it doesn't look that fun or appealing to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree, I wouldn't mind playing Mega Man as a First Person game, but no matter how great, even if it came out as the best First Person Shooter, the original (classic) style will always lead. (In my opinion.)

It still would be a nice and rather creative idea. (If they were able to make it as good as a real Mega Man game.)

I knew that the only way Capcom was going to bring back Megaman was a gritty reboot.  But if a first person shooter headed by the creator of the glorious treasure of the star children that is Metroid Prime isn't worth their pursuit, then they might as well just drop Megaman and stop breaking people's hearts.

In 2010, Capcom tapped the talent behind Metroid Prime to bring Mega Man into the modern age — only to have the game suffer the fate of similar recent attempts to find a new audience for the 8-bit hero.

Codenamed Maverick Hunter, the first-person shooter had the blessing of Mega Man's creator and a talented team tasked with attracting a new generation of fans. But the departure of Keiji Inafune likely killed the most interesting take on the 25-year-old character to date.

Mega Man's foray into the first-person shooter genre looked, at least on paper, like a formula for success. One of a handful of collaborations with Western developers kicked off by Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, the Mega Man first-person shooter was in development at Austin-based Armature Studio, the promising developer founded by Metroid Prime's creators. The new Mega Man would have been redesigned by the concept artist responsible for adapting Iron Man's armor for Marvel's successful film franchise. Thematically, the game would have built upon the mythology of Mega Man X, a series that was a darker, more mature spin-off of the cuter, classic Mega Man franchise.

The game would have stayed true to core Mega Man X gameplay concepts, re-imagining his X-Buster arm cannon, his dash and his ability to appropriate the special powers of his fallen enemies. Platforming elements, including X's wall jump, and classic Mega Man X characters would have been re-imagined in new ways.

Unfortunately, Armature's Mega Man first-person shooter, Maverick Hunter shared the fate of the Blue Bomber's other recent projects — Mega Man Legends 3, Mega Man Universe, Mega Man Online — and was canceled before the public ever had the opportunity to see it.

According to a number of Capcom sources, Armature's Maverick Hunter was prototyped and playable. It had a short lifespan, only about six months in the first half of 2010. It showed promise, sources said, but was deemed a significant gamble, and quietly killed before Inafune publicly exited Capcom in late 2010.

Apparently this was all done in 6 months of work, so yes, it's going to look a little dodgy. It was made by the makers of Metroid Prime (some developers split off to form a new studio - now working on the Batman game). Looks like it could have been interesting.

What is this? The 4th Megaman project shelved? Geez Capcom!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter

Edited by Autosaver

Bomberman: Act Zero comes to mind...

Still, Retro guys working on this would probably be nothing but good, so I'm sure it wouldn't suffer the same fate as Bomberman's re-imagining!

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't want a fucking gritty/realistic/grimdark Mega Man thank you very much, games like X and Zero are as far as it should go in that regard.

But but.. it was destined to happen!

2008_01_12_megawhat.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8