Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

It's less risky to simply come up with another Mega Man series for the FPS genre rather than try to adapt an existing one's formula. Battle Network and Legends succeeded because they did their own thing while still capturing the spirit of the franchise. I honestly wouldn't mind having a Mega Man FPS if it still felt like an appropriate addition to the mythos, but this was not the way to do it. Even as a game, it doesn't look that fun or appealing to me.

Wait which 1 are you talking about? the fangame or Mavrick Hunter?

But I like x7 I would even say it goes below x8 on my top 3 megaman x games along with x5.

ok... I'm shocked to hear that anyone liked x7. Like, at all, let alone as one of their top three X games. If you enjoyed it, I don't know what else to say other than congratulations on achieving the impossible.

And since we are here, I like X6

I liked x6 too. Heck I like all of them including Command Mission(even though it's just a JRPG with an X skin and story slapped on, thanks to the decent combat system) minus x7, and I pushed myself to play that game all the way up to the final boss fight just because I was that dedicate to the series, despite the fact that I hated every minute of that game. 

But I digress; when I said that the fan base split over whether 5 and 6 were good, I was just acknowledging that there are people who dislike those games, I wasn't saying I was one of them.

bleh, okay

So, I had an idea for a Mega Man fangame series: Mega Man Forte (Bass sounded like a stupid add on so I went with the Japanese name.)

You know the fan theory about how Zero killed the original Mega Man? The idea is centered around that.

Wily has finally completed Zero, but Zero was uncontrollable. Zero kills Wily, and when Mega Man tries to stop him, he also gets destroyed.

With no one to stop Zero while Dr. Light works on X, Bass sets out to defeat Zero to once again prove he’s the strongest robot in the world.

Yay? Nay? idfk

• Thumbs Up 3

bleh, okay     So, I had an idea for a Mega Man fangame series: Mega Man Forte (Bass sounded like a stupid add on so I went with the Japanese name.)   You know the fan theory about how Zero killed the original Mega Man? The idea is centered around that.   Wily has finally completed Zero, but Zero was uncontrollable. Zero kills Wily, and when Mega Man tries to stop him, he also gets destroyed.   With no one to stop Zero while Dr. Light works on X, Bass sets out to defeat Zero to once again prove he’s the strongest robot in the world.   Yay? Nay? idfk
Yay. But "Forte" sounds like a name out of a Uwe Boll movie

I never got why everyone is so obsessed with the idea of Zero killing Mega Man. It's not in either Zero's nature or the nature of the classic series as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 2

Zero used to be a maverick with a thirst for fighting (as seen in X4) until he passed his virus off to Sigma. It /was/ in his nature.

In power battles, Wily shows off Zero in the Bass ending. The classic series is tied to the X series.

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never got why everyone is so obsessed with the idea of Zero killing Mega Man. It's not in either Zero's nature or the nature of the classic series as a whole.

IIRC in a cutscene Maverick Hunter, Sigma finds buried away in a cave, and Sigma releases Zero. Zero then tries to kill Sigma but he eventually gets defeated and rehabilitated.

Edited by Enderwoman

I find it hard to believe Inafune said that when these exist.

Anyways, I just want to see a series of games designed for Bass, as well as a series that ties the Classics to the X series.

Edited by Solkia

I agree that it doesn't fit the classic series, but isn't it supposed to be the transition point between classic and X? It's the moment the Megaman universe goes from fairly light to darker and edgier.

And as far as Zero's nature...well he is a Wily 'bot, isn't he? And when he first showed up in X's era he was kind of nuts and almost killed Sigma (who was a good guy at the time or something)?

That's not to say I'd want to see it happen, but it makes some sort of sense, I think.

Zero slaughtering the entire classic cast, sounds really dark even by the standards of the X and Zero series. So I'm not sure I'd be particularly ok with that.

It's true that Zero was created for the purpose of defeating Mega Man in the same way that every Robot Master is created for such a purpose. The reason for their creation is different from actually writing a character in fiction, and you don't have your main character do an utterly irredeemable act if you want the audience to side with them. Zero in the X series is a straight-laced, unironic hero who happens to have a troubled history but is written in such a way that makes the player entirely side with him. If it came to light that he in fact killed Mega Man then any sympathy for him would have gone through the roof. And even though Zero was intended by Dr. Wily to defeat Mega Man, it wasn't intended by the writers. That's why I say it's not in his character, and also why the theory that Zero killed Mega Man is just ridiculous. Would any of you honestly believe that Zero would remain a likeable character if it was a proven fact that he murdered Mega Man and the rest of the classic cast?

There is also almost zero connection between the X and classic series and it's due to X's darker atmosphere that I'm glad that Capcom (almost) never referenced the classic series in X and never made an attempt to connect the two. There have been nods back and forth such as in X4/X5 and the arcade fighting games, but they're both otherwise very self-contained and I think the transition from a bright, bubbly series to an edgier take on the Mega Man character is best left to the viewer's imagination without showing it to us, because otherwise the kid-friendly illusion of the classic series just completely goes away.

• Thumbs Up 8

Isn't Classic Mega Man's fate already depressing (Wily abducting him, turning him into a joke then being killed by his past self)?

We don't need the grimdark nature of X to affect the cheery Classic series.

About your idea, I'd probably just remove Mega Man from the equation entirely, and leave Dr. Wily's fate ambiguous. Everything else you wrote would work out.

Isn't Classic Mega Man's fate already depressing (Wily abducting him, turning him into a joke then being killed by his past self)?

We don't need the grimdark nature of X to affect the cheery Classic series.

I've always assumed that Quint was just a possible future that was averted once Dr. Wily actually sent him back in time and changed history.

Aren't the Gameboy games barely canonical? I don't remember well, but I believe there are a lot of contradictions made in the GB game's stories. Even if the GB games were canon, I doubt that Quint is himself. It just seems like a case of early installment weirdness, or a screw up by the people who worked on the 8-bits MMs. When Quint appears in a main Mega Man game (ahahahnewmegamangame) only then will I ever think of him as a possible future to the world's hero.

As far as the bridge from Classic to X goes, you could go with a less darker approach with it.

I mean, couldn't we just assume the status of old Megaman was lost in time, and leave it that way while Light went on to make X and keep him in stasis until the events of the X series? And as far as Bass is concerned, you could assume the same thing happened to him as it did Classic Megaman, or you could say that Bass got deactivated by Wily.

Because the way I see it, the start of X series where Reploids become widespread and the Maverick Virus starts rearing is where everything gets darker and goes to hell. We don't need to slaughter or imply anything too dark for the Classic series to explain the gap in events between the two series. And if you did, the Classic series probably won't be looked at the same way as a result...probably. (I've seen stranger things happen, so I know better than to be absolutely certain)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I actually thought some of these ideas discussed in this video were pretty cool. I'd love to see some soft of Zero hack-n-slash platformer (and yes I know his voice is pretentious sounding, but try to get past that). 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

New thought, but not a fan game this time (still going with Sean's suggestion on that):

Is the classic series really light-hearted? I mean we have the Evil Energy, Roboenza, Dr. Cossack having his kid kidnapped, etc.

I think it's better to call it "cartoony". None of the enemies look particularly threatening, in fact most of them look really really goofy compared to the later series.

The classic series is only cartoony by virtue of barely having a plot at all.

But it actually does have a fairly coherent and overarching plot, it's just not as apparent in the games more so through the supplementary material.