Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

Is the classic series really light-hearted?

Yeah, pretty much. It's not the happy fun adventure time of, say, the first 95% of a Kirby game, but it never really gets beyond a light Saturday morning action cartoon. It's like, a hair darker than Mario, maybe.

I guess the only real dark thing about it is that you know at the end everyone dies eventually somewhere before the x series starts.

I guess the only real dark thing about it is that you know at the end everyone dies eventually somewhere before the x series starts.

Well the robot masters could just be deactivated somewhere. But yeah the doctors are long gone :P

And yet if X5 is anything to go by, Wily's still around by at least the first half of the series.

And since the Light holograms are self-aware, and not just pre-recorded messages, Light may live on in some form.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

But it actually does have a fairly coherent and overarching plot, it's just not as apparent in the games more so through the supplementary material.

Up until 7, the plot is literally "Wily has escaped and made 8 new robot masters, go kill them" with the exception of 3 with Protoman, and 4 with Kosack.

Did X2 even have a plot?

I forgot about this, but didn't Mega Man 9 reveal that Robots have an expiration date?

Did X2 even have a plot?

I forgot about this, but didn't Mega Man 9 reveal that Robots have an expiration date?

What I remember is that there were 3 Mavericks that had Zero's parts and you had to retrieve them...

That showed up after a few fights right? At first it was just "go kill these guys", I already knew about the X Hunters, but I considered them a subplot since they're optional until the final levels.

The X series doesn't really start to have a plot till X4, the first game is more classic Mega Man, X2 is just reviving Zero, and X3 is...forgettable

Well, X3 being shit aside, the doppler wars is still a plot, SNES just didn't have enough power to do an all-out story with it. I think the Playstation version did though??? I don't remember.

Speaking of X3, carts for this game shouldn't cost $120. I don't care how limited the production was, the game is still awful (or just mediocre to some).

MAybe I'm just dickriding Somecallmejohnny for the thousandth time, but watch the Brainscratch run, he basically names everything that urks me about it. 

X3 was shit? That's news to me

From what I've read, it's certainly hard as it.

I'm not much of an X fan myself, I've only ever played the first one.

Looks like The Mega Man Universe's Maverick articles wll remain info-less and empty.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

X3 was shit? That's news to me

Its not bad, its just...forgettable. Seriously, I can remember some detail about every X game, but with X3 I can barely remember anything.

Oh well, I never found anything forgettable about X3, in fact I though that X2 was the forgettable one.

The X series had a plot right from the get go, it just wasn't explained in as much detail as it should have been ingame. Here's what you get from the plot of the SNES games while playing:

X1:

- X isn't strong enough to battle Vile. Zero is stronger.

- Zero has to find the main base of the Mavericks while X dispatches the leaders of each respective zone.

- Zero discovers the base but 'dies' early on in the assault.

- X was meant for something greater according to Sigma, cue final battle.

- X watches the base sink into the ocean while thinking of Zero.

-- Somewhere during this as indicated in X2, Zero's parts were recovered by a faction opposing the Maverick Hunters.

X2:

- X continues fight against Mavericks, dealing with factories producing them.

- Dr.Cain introduced, contacted by the faction with Zero's parts.

- X can fight the faction or wait until the base. One way brings back Zero and avoids a boss battle, the other has you fight Zero near the end and he regains himself after the encounter.

- Sigma returns in his actual body, this time becomes the "Sigma Virus".

X3:

- X and Zero have to return to their base since it's under attack by the Mavericks.

- Dr.Cain still acting leader of Hunters.

- Dr.Doppler is carrying on Sigma's tasks, with a group of Anti-Hunters, as well as a revived Vile.

- Possible to obtain Zero's saber in the latter part of the game, depending on how you dealt with the Anti-Hunters.

- If Zero gets hurt and gives you his saber, Dr.Doppler will create the vaccine for the Sigma Virus. If Zero is not hurt, he will show up with the vaccine. Doppler dies in both endings, only vaccine was not effective as shown later.

This is all modified by the fact that Dr.Cain dies in The Day of Sigma and has no role within Maverick Hunter X. It's entirely possible that the canon itself was intended to be modified, but I'm not fond of that approach.

Dr.Light and Dr.Wily may have electronic brains somewhere as the former's capsules are sentient in some form. I wish Inafune would have planned out some of the elements of the series better. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 7

Maverick Hunter X was intended to be a reboot of the series or something, but didn't sell enough to warrant making more from what I've heard.

Edited by Solkia

I just got through reading the megaman megamix(even gigamix) series and my god did I love it, not only did it give megaman a whole lot more character but it also gave more depth to the boss characters as a whole, not to mention the story was amazing. Honestly, this is the type of megaman I have always longed for but capcom would never make it, I would definitely love a game based around this series with some new and cool gameplay centered around it.

• 3 weeks later...

The X series had a plot right from the get go, it just wasn't explained in as much detail as it should have been ingame. Here's what you get from the plot of the SNES games while playing:

This is all modified by the fact that Dr.Cain dies in The Day of Sigma and has no role within Maverick Hunter X. It's entirely possible that the canon itself was intended to be modified, but I'm not fond of that approach.

Dr.Light and Dr.Wily may have electronic brains somewhere as the former's capsules are sentient in some form. I wish Inafune would have planned out some of the elements of the series better. tongue.png

With all respect to Inafune, he wasn't exactly the greatest storyteller, nor was he great at making sure nobody derailed his plans for the storyline (X6 and beyond, anyone?). The X-series is riddled with things that really don't make that much sense, additionally compounded by Infafune's confirmation that Zero didn't kill any of the Classic cast.

I think Inafune's idea of rebooting the entire X series starting with Maverick Hunter X was a pretty good idea, but the thing is, he stuck too closely to the original canon, in my honest opinion, though this probably is because MHX was a straight-up 2.5D remake of X1. There's bits of potentially interesting material sprinkled around MHX, but I feel it's wasted completely by the need to stick closely to the original game's framework. I'm probably going to get lynched by purists, but I think they should've gone one step further and tried to re-imagine X1 in full 3D and a reworked plotline with the same basic stage structure but changing a lot of things up in the process, on both a gameplay and narrative front.

Shirou's ideas on how to maybe make a re-imagining of X1 good

Gameplay:

• I'd imagine the basic gameplay to be a mixture of Bayonetta and Vanquish, and removing any potential balance issues with ranged weapons by making them, well, not hitscan-based unlike either of those games, instead having the relatively slow projectiles like in any Mega Man game, which can be dodged, blocked or deflected.
  • Manual aiming is an option, but not recommended for non-mouse&keyboard controls. Manual lock-on is pretty much needed for such a game to work (no soft lock-on for projectiles, we know how well that worked in X7, and it doesn't give the player full control over their own aim).
  • Moving on walls is performed via a context button, enabling horizontal and vertical movement without making the controls cumbersome for the player and enabling them to multi-task.
  • Melee attacks are a viable option, and can be combined with maverick weapons for additional options.

tl:dr: Platinum-style. Fuck yea.

Narrative:

• A lot of how X was sealed away and discovered just doesn't bloody well make sense. I mean, what circumstances could possibly enable Light to seal X in his own lab and keep said lab undiscovered for thirty bloody years, as everyone somehow forgot where it was? And it's not exactly secure, either, if anyone bad were to find the lab, well... Instead, I'd have Light give the capsule and all of his research to the one person he'd probably trust the most, Dr. Cossack, along with his daughter, Kalinka.
  • By the time X awakens, Kalinka would have become a genius scientist in her own right (and would probably be married and have kids, too). Kalinka would probably replace Dr. Cain in his continuity. She and her family are probably the main 'human' element that is sorely missing in the X-Series.
  • When you're not in the stages, you chat with a whole variety of characters in Hunter HQ, the Cossack lab, and other locations. This way, said characters can be fleshed out more easily without throwing them directly into the main plotline. Dialogue is handled via dialogue trees, doesn't really matter which type, as long as what each option actually makes X say is perfectly clear (Mass Effect was terrible about this, Deus Ex: Human Revolution did it right).
  • There's a codex for details on the setting, characters, and plot details that you can revise.
  • A large optional sub-plot would be the question of what happened to the Classic cast, with only a few specifics being absolutely clear, the rest being vague and up to the player to ultimately come to their own conclusion. Said specifics in question are Wily being dead, Rock (and possibly Roll) being damaged beyond repair due to a possible final confrontation with either Wily or Bass, and that Proto Man, Bass and Treble were never seen again. The unraveling of this sub-plot occurs from conversation with characters who were around back then, as well as examination of Dr. Wily's last fortress, completely wrecked and devoid of robotic life.
  • If Roll didn't kick the bucket, she's probably a complete wreck from losing the only family she ever knew, and initially disliking X due to his resemblance to her twin brother. It's up to the player to make her warm up to X and bring back her old self.
  • No cutscenes. And by that, I mean no sequences where the player isn't in control in some fashion. QTEs do not count. At any point, X will either be moving, fighting, or talking to another character. In this day and age where gaming is dominated by AAA cinematic fluff, this is probably unthinkable to most game designers, but I know it can work.
  • Remember the 'social bosses' from Deus Ex Human Revolution? Those were pretty great, right? X is a pacifist who tries to save everyone he can, it's only natural that he'd tried to persuade his enemies to stand down before resorting to violence. Some of the less dickish mavericks, might actually join your cause, if you can persuade them - Storm Eagle feels he's too weak to stand up to Sigma, Spark Mandrill is just a bit dim and thinks Sigma might be right, Boomer Kuwanger relies on logic and reason to make his decisions, Armored Armadillo is simply loyal to Sigma, and Sting Chameleon only respects the strong. Launch Octopus, Flame Mammoth and Chill Penguin are just assholes, really. Most of the time you'll probably won't be able to get out of a fight, but if you're persuasive enough, you can convince some mavericks to rejoin the Hunters upon beating them. Vile will probably brush off any attempts at persuasion, and Sigma's too far gone to be persuaded, though he'll probably commend your efforts if you're good enough.
  •  Other characters... This is probably going to seem surprising, but bring forward Alia, Layer, Palette, Douglas and Lifesaver. The Navigator from Day of Sigma was an obvious Alia expy, so there was no point delaying their entrance to the canon aside from adhering to certain aspects of the original canon, nevermind that Inafune was bizarrely selective about that, he killed off Dr. Cain before the games he's actually supposed to appear in, for pete's sake. Besides, pretty much everyone introduced in X5 aside from Alia has either been relegated to bare cameoes at best or have completely disappeared by X8 - poor Douglas and Livesaver, they should at least be given a chance to be fleshed out. I can see Douglas and Palette having a neat working relationship.

Basically, the idea is to establish proper links with the Classic series in a way that actually makes sense, flesh out the narrative and a variety of characters through dialogue, a codex, and provide a way for X to show his more passive side through gameplay. Pretty much all of this is optional, of course, if you don't give a shit and want to stomp your way through the action bits, that's fine, you're just gonna miss out on a potentially engaging narrative.

Just a bunch of ideas because I'm bored and I felt like sharing.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

dMwY4lZ.jpg

Leaked Maverick Hunter concept art.

God that looks terrible. So generic and dark and gritty and............DmC-esque. Damn you Capcom and your crappy reboots, I'm glad this one got canceled. 

Looks cool.

Doesn't look like Mega Man.

They didn't even make him blue. That's the most basic thing. How could they possibly screw up that one thing?

My eyes may be bad, but his armor looks like an extremely dark shade of blue actually.