Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

No, I wouldn't be saying this if they were making Mega Man games, because then they'd actually be using a video game franchise as a video game franchise.

Merchandizing is great and all but for a video game series that's dead it just serves as a reminder that you'll never see another game for it.

I just don't view it that way. Capcom recognizing that fans still want Mega Man stuff is anything but a bad thing to me. 

And for the record I personally love Mega Man being in Smash 4. Since it's, y'know, a game :U

I do too. Mega Man's gonna be my main. My Mega Main.

But again, there are people who turn something good, like their love for Mega Man in Smash, into something shitty, like even more resentment toward Capcom because it's the biggest thing to happen to the franchise in a while. I think it's been established that they are complete idiots for a long time now, but some of these reactions just seem way too strong.

Again, I'm not criticizing, because I was in the same boat. I was one of the people who was so pissed that we got Bad Box Art Mega Man in SFxT because it felt like Capcom was just waving their collective dicks in my face. But that's not what was happening.

I just don't like seeing this kind of negativity because I don't think it's constructive in any way.

I know I shouldn't be speaking for everyone, but hearing about how awful the fanbase is getting as annoying as said fanbase. We fucking get it, we're all pissbabies.

Anyways I wouldn't have bothered responding if it wasn't for the fact that it was Clement that made the video. He has a severe case of unwarranted self-importance that gets really obnoxious sometimes.

Like I said, I didn't watch the video, so if this Clement guy is being a gigantic douche-cookie I don't really know what to say.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not mad at Capcom because they cancelled most of the new games, they weren't very good at handling the franchise from the start, it shows from how they handled most of the X series... My real beef with Capcom is the 25th anniversary fiasco...

They said it, they TEASED something for Megaman that year, even making a logo for the celebration, getting our hopes high, and what do we get? A shitty IoS game... They saw how everyone hated IoS Megaman X, and thought ''HEY MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS THAT THIS IS AN OLD MEGAMAN NO ONE LOVES, RIGHT? LETS MAKE A NEW MEGAMAN, IM SURE THAT'LL FIX IT'', and made not only a fucking IoS game, BUT A SHITTY ONE at that, I mean, I know Megaman's nickname is Jump 'N Shoot man, BUT THAT'S LITERALLY THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO HERE! You can jump enemies, or you can shoot them, its an on rails game, so you don't even control, just press two buttons... Oh and it wasn't even released overseas, GREAT BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION, HUH? And then at the end of the year when they saw how pissed the fabase was, what did they do? ''OH NO, WE HAD SOMETHING, SERIOUSLY GUYS, SEE, THIS FANGAME, WE TOTALLY HELPED ON IT, SEE? WE LOVE MEGAMAN, THIS GAME IS TO CELEBRATE THAT! YEAH!''.

Now, one thing is not making games for the franchise anymore, other is to not only ignore the birthday of the franchise that gave your company the fame you have now, and shit on it's legacy by giving us shitty IoS games, thinking that would be enough to compensate, and taking credit on something you don't even helped other than advertising a little.

I mean, how would you feel if on Sonic's 20th anniversary SEGA instead of Generations gave us a 2D on-rails game where you could just jump and boost, and then once the fanbase imploded in rage, they get a random fangame and say ''No guys we helped here, see, we love Sonic''

At this point I really don't care if Capcom makes another Mega Man or not at this point because we both have Azure Striker Gunvolt and Mighty No 9. 

I think that if they made more Megaman games, they should be conclusive. One final X game to lead into the Zero Series, one last Classic game with the release of Zero, death of Megaman, and the construction of X (maybe another ZX where the world gets flooded leading into Legends). If they try to continue with as many Megaman series' as there are, then it's just not gonna work. Just get the timeline up to date at where it is, and makes games with whatever gameplay style they choose in that part of the timeline. Make a 2D legends game, who cares, my point is that Megaman needs to change or leave. Hell, Mighty No. 9 is getting loads more money than it needs, they could probably buy the IP and Inafune could keep making Megaman without Capcom (though this is loads of just me bullshitting, I have no clue if this is actually possible).

I think that if they made more Megaman games, they should be conclusive. One final X game to lead into the Zero Series, one last Classic game with the release of Zero, death of Megaman, and the construction of X (maybe another ZX where the world gets flooded leading into Legends).

It doesn't make much sense to do that. Believe it or not, the IP still has value, whether Capcom acknowledges that with a game or not. Also the death of Mega Man? That's getting kind of dark. 

Hell, Mighty No. 9 is getting loads more money than it needs, they could probably buy the IP and Inafune could keep making Megaman without Capcom (though this is loads of just me bullshitting,).

I'll say. Although Inafune did express interest in making more Mega Man if he could, I don't see how they could just buy the fucking IP for what, the extra 2 million that they are supposed to be spending on stretch goals.

Mega Man as a franchise isn't dead just because they haven't been making any games for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I'd rather not have the Classic series reach a definitive end. It's pretty much the only Mega Man series I can think of (excluding ZX) where Capcom could do whatever they wanted and not have to worry about tying it in with any other series. Truth be told, making a point where it's all "this is the end, no more classic Mega Man for ever and ever, and we may or may not pull a The Transformers: The Movie on all your favourite characters while we're at it" would feel rather forced and practically necessitate a dark tone for it, which is honestly something that the series where the mooks have big cartoon eyes and we get guys like Sheep Man... just doesn't do. I think the darkest Classic Mega Man ever got was with Super Adventure Rockman, and even then Inafune didn't like how that game was darker with the deaths of pilots and whatnot.

On top of that, let's say Capcom wanted to do another Mega Man game. What would it be in? Most of the other Mega Man series are done (or in a state of "done enough to lead into the next series"), but with classic Mega Man... it's pretty much a Saturday Morning cartoon world where you could do whatever and not have to follow on from the game before it.

Apologies if this didn't make a whole load of sense, but IIRC RoahmMythril (who's a really cool dragon to watch if you like classic Mega Man) said something along these lines somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't make much sense to do that. Believe it or not, the IP still has value, whether Capcom acknowledges that with a game or not. Also the death of Mega Man? That's getting kind of dark. 

They killed X in Megaman Zero 3.

And again, I'm sure it has value as a franchise, but spending money to develop so many games as there are different Megaman series is gonna mean that some aren't gonna sell well.

Mega Man as a franchise isn't dead just because they haven't been making any games for it. 

I never said it was. But I think it's incredibly disorganized as of now and if something doesn't change it's going to be dead.

They killed X in Megaman Zero 3.

And again, I'm sure it has value as a franchise, but spending money to develop so many games as there are different Megaman series is gonna mean that some aren't gonna sell well.

Yes they did, but I just think that kind of territory is too dark for Classic MM. They don't have to spend money developing each and every Mega Man series, especially not at once. 

I never said it was. But I think it's incredibly disorganized as of now and if something doesn't change it's going to be dead.

The series was a bit bloated when various spin offs were getting a release every year, but I don't really see how this could kill the franchise now

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes they did, but I just think that kind of territory is too dark for Classic MM. They don't have to spend money developing each and every Mega Man series, especially not at once. 

The series was a bit bloated when various spin offs were getting a release every year, but I don't really see how this could kill the franchise now

When you really think about it, the further into the future you go in Mega Man, the darker it gets.  First we have the endign of 7, to the point where Rock even contemplates killing Wily in cold blood after destroying his capsule.

Then we have the X series which gets darker and darker at every game.

Classic to X: The old cast is dead

X -> X2: Zero is dead

X2 -> X3: Sigma reveals that he is infact the Maverick Virus

X3 -> X4: The one chance to destroy the virus forever is destroyed

X4 -> X5:  The biggest impact on the rest of the series:  The Repliforce coup de tat creates a civl war, creating a snag in Zero and Iris' relationship.  Sigma sent a spy to kill X, under the guise of an intern, and most notably, Zero is forced to mercy-kill Iris

X5: Depending on the ending, X either does or doesn't remember Zero, X dies by Sigma's hands or both die.  Either way, this is also backed up by the falling of Eurasia which can wipe out 75% of humans and 80% of reploids.

X6 and X7 are lighter in content by X8 has it reveal that it was Lumine pulling the strings the entire time on Sigma in this story.

And then the Zero series comes in with X supposedly leading a dictatorship known as Neo Arcadia and a band of innocent humans and reploids being labelled as Mavericks, even if they are anything but Mavericks.  This all boils down to X's physical body being destroyed by Elpizo, Weil returning to N.A, the return of Omega-Zero, and Ragnarok occurring.  And in the end Zero dies for the last time...

...but at least he is with Iris at last.

Not really considering his soul/cyber elf self was then put into an armor that compacts into a floating rock.

Zero only lost his body and memories, his spirit lives on in Model Z.

Classic series is more kid-friendly and always will remain as such. That "moment" in MM7 where Mega Man threatened to kill Dr. Wily was a translation quirk. Rock said no such thing in the Japanese version. I have no idea why anybody in their right mind wants to see it come to an end and bridge into the X series considering you are basically telling the younger players that Mega Man dies. That's the entire reason why the classic cast, Light and Wily notwithstanding, are never referenced in future games, and I prefer it to be kept that way.

It's also worth mentioning that Inafune was absolutely appalled by Super Adventure Rockman's darker tone, and stated that if he worked on the game he would not have depicted characters dying or Roll dying in any of the bad endings. (source) He's not with Capcom anymore, but I don't think they'll go against his wishes with a future installment.

• Thumbs Up 6

And then the Zero series comes in with X supposedly leading a dictatorship known as Neo Arcadia and a band of innocent humans and reploids being labelled as Mavericks, even if they are anything but Mavericks.  This all boils down to X's physical body being destroyed by Elpizo, Weil returning to N.A, the return of Omega-Zero, and Ragnarok occurring.  And in the end Zero dies for the last time...

...but at least he is with Iris at last.

Megaman ZX and Advent would say otherwise considering that he, X, and the Guardians are brought back in spirit as Biometals to give the future generation their power. Hell, even Dr. Weil is still alive in spirit screwing stuff up again as Model W and creating mavericks out of both reploids and humans since the lines separating them are completely eliminated 200 years later.

So the cycle of war continues.

In my own 'reboot' idea for X (sorta like Maverick Hunter X, but goes way further, there's just too many problems with the overall plotline to leave intact, including various aspects of X's discovery that make absolutely no sense), I included carry-overs from the Classic series such as a grown-up Kalinka replacing Dr. Cain for the most part, and alluding to Rock dying while saving the world one last time, with said final battle having accidentally killed Wily, but rather than elaborate on any the details of Rock's final adventure, it's kept vauge at best. Inafune also confirmed that Zero had nothing to do with what happened pre-X, so chances are Rock died doing what he did best, and ensured peace for at least thirty years. Hey, at least its better than Zero killing everyone, right?

I do agree that we shouldn't get an 'end' to the Classic series, though, the series just ain't suited for that, unlike Castlevania, which has an actual timeline and has a major event in 1999 that fans have been clamouring to have a game made for it ever since Aria of Sorrow. The 'end' of Classic is best left something that's merely alluded to, nothing more.

Its too bad they ruled out the whole classic megaman is x theory, honestly it was always the one thing I believed ever since I first started playing the first x game so it really is a mystery what happened to the original megaman. Way I see it is that after so and so years, megaman just got old along with everyone else and was shut down since he wasn't needed anymore.

The idea of a bridge game isn't about the idea of Mega Man dying.

It's about what happened in between the events of the Classic series and the X series to answer the elephant in the room of why X was created.

As it stands, Light's reason for creating X is no better than "why the fuck not". That's not good enough for me. I want to know what event happened that led him to the decision of making X.

It doesn't have to be a game, a simple explaination from Inafune would be enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

We currently need these bridge games.

~Classic to X, how the events of the classic series ended and led its way to MMX. maybe everyone doesn't need to die but we do need closure.

~X to Zero, even if it was sort of explained in MMZ I would like to fight in the elf wars during the MMX era, besides theirs allot of hangups that aren't explained yet.

~ZX to Legends, thats gonna be tricky unless they just do loltimeship but I'd like to know what happened that made Legends the way it is but then again I'm sure Legends needs a reboot anyways considering it was working with now outdated information.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't the big difference between X and the original Mega that X is an effectively "human" AI, while Megaman classic, advanced as he may be, is ultimately still constrained by his programming? That seems reason enough for Light to build him to me...

• Thumbs Up 1

That falls under the category of "why the fuck not" for me.

I can't see any reason to waste time creating a potentially dangerous concept just for kicks. Dr. Light has always had a solid reason for his creations (except maybe Roll).

According to the intro sequence to Mega Man X, X is the first robot (reploid?) who was given "free will," at least in the sense that he can disobey humans. 

If anything else, as time goes on, technology gets better, and Light just wanted to improve upon his AI tech. And perhaps Mega Man classic kicked the bucket earlier, prompting the new creation?

I'm by no means a Mega Man expert, though, so this is just my outsider's conjecture.

That falls under the category of "why the fuck not" for me.

I can't see any reason to waste time creating a potentially dangerous concept just for kicks. Dr. Light has always had a solid reason for his creations (except maybe Roll).

Robots are a potentially dangerous concept, as literally every robot master has proven.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for, really; it seems natural for a roboticist who makes humanoid robots to want to make robots who are even more human.

• Thumbs Up 1

~Classic to X, how the events of the classic series ended and led its way to MMX. maybe everyone doesn't need to die but we do need closure.

No we don't.

Again, Mega Man Classic is pretty much a separate beast from the other iterations of the franchise. It's not story-driven like Zero is, and it doesn't need to be. I'd much rather we be left to form our own opinions on how it all ends, instead of having it shown to us and putting a finite end to the one Mega Man series that is effectively infinite and run the risk of pulling an unnecessary and, to be honest, rather forced tonal shift and perhaps mishandling it completely.

And people think Capcom's killing Mega Man when they want to see the original series, the one series where the story boils down to "What's Dr. Wily's latest plan to conquer the world today?" and rarely, if ever, gets more complex then that, reach a definitive end where it's all "No more Mega Man for ever and ever".

~ZX to Legends...

Wait...did I miss something? ZX and Legends have connections?

I don't know if there are any explicit references between the two, but that's how the timeline's supposed to go, at least; Classic, X, Zero, ZX, Legends.

Wait...did I miss something? ZX and Legends have connections?

Apparently, something happened in between the two to make the legends world the way it is.