Awoo.

Mega Man

Cortez

Yes Legends isn't a spinoff its connected to the main series storyline, that means that whatever was going to happen in ZX3 made the events of Legends happen, or if not that then a series after that was to handle the ZX to Legends transition better but I doubt we will ever see that now.

Problem is that Legends was using MMX (current series at the time other then the classic series) as its base for timeskipping into the future , since then theirs been many developments in MMX and 2 more series' that need to be added in or change Legends to fit with those events.

No we don't.

Again, Mega Man Classic is pretty much a separate beast from the other iterations of the franchise. It's not story-driven like Zero is, and it doesn't need to be. I'd much rather we be left to form our own opinions on how it all ends, instead of having it shown to us and putting a finite end to the one Mega Man series that is effectively infinite and run the risk of pulling an unnecessary and, to be honest, rather forced tonal shift and perhaps mishandling it completely.

And people think Capcom's killing Mega Man when they want to see the original series, the one series where the story boils down to "What's Dr. Wily's latest plan to conquer the world today?" and rarely, if ever, gets more complex then that, reach a definitive end where it's all "No more Mega Man for ever and ever".

Yes, we do. regardless if you ever saw it, Classic was pretty story driven it was the games that made it seem standalone. and I hate that "we be left to form our own opinions" bullshit TV shows and video games pull, its a result of lazy writing or being backed into a corner and not being able to figure out how to end a series.

I believe a series can end properly without killing everyone or turning girmdark, and the only reason why we figure MM dies is because of X but really whose to say that MM had to die in order to have X created. besides people don't seem to mind that Ian Flynn may be bridging the classic with the X series.

Let's not forget battle network being a parallel universe to the classic series with its "Light/Hikari's network technology vs Wily's Robotics technology" government funding. In Mega Man, robotics  tech flourishes and in Battle Network, network technology flourished.

Wily (Mega Man) went for world domination for who-knows-what, whereas in Battle Network, he wanted to destroy/rule purely for revenge.

I wouldn't mind a game bridging Mega Man to X, it's no like anyone has to die. Light could be working on X without a soul knowing, especially when we have this here as a quick example, with Light looking the same age as usual.

Sure Mega Man is simple in terms of story to an extent, but the fact of the matter is...there's still some type of story to be had.

Yes, we do.

No we don't.

No really, why do we absolutely positively need a locked down end to what's basically the last existing Mega Man series where you can put in new games and not have to worry about awkwardly shoehorning them in ala X6?

regardless if you ever saw it, Classic was pretty story driven it was the games that made it seem standalone.

>Classic was pretty story driven

Oh yeah, the plot of ,say, Mega Man 4 and 5 were soooooo vitally important to, say, 9 and 10. Really, the plots really don't get more complex than "Dr. Wily has a scheme to rule the world, Mega Man stops him", and it's only ever really affected by character introductions. They're not as deep or complex as, say, Zero's plots, that's what I'm trying to say.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look what happened when we didn't end the classic series sooner, its literally at a halt because its head writer and creator left and the company that owns it won't do a damn thing with the series. besides to me the only reason why you don't sound like you want an ending to this series is because you want more sequels and I honestly don't want to see Megaman 20: Dr. Wily is doing the same shit again, hell after 7 people were really starting to get burned out.

Maybe the exact game plots didn't matter but theirs still on-going story in Megaman, an on-going story that should be given its closure.

I'm sorry I just can't imagine worrying about the "ongoing story" of classic Megaman. I don't even know what it's supposed to be, aside from leading into X, which has a hell of a lot more to do with X than it does with classic, and even that is not much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, we could just have Classic Megaman be rebuilt into X with better hardware and programming that allow him to have free will, but at a serious cost of some of his memory as far avoiding the whole "Classic Megaman dies" thing if anyone wanted to bridge it.

It's no less bizarre than everything else done in franchise. I'm not really bothered by keeping it ambiguous, but there's always a way to avoid a problem. Whether people would like it is another question.

Since we're talking plot here, anyone think that the whole "turning maverick is actually caused by a virus" thing kind of degrading to the themes that the X series presents? I would think that having reploids going maverick out of choice would fit the themes of robots with free will, rather than it simply being an infection.

I think it fits at that point in the series, because during the first two games we can clearly see some mavericks are doing that by their own free will, heck, Sigma even calls the reploids his ''brothers'' and really seems to care for their future, but as he goes crazier and crazier with each defeat, and his rebellion pretty much gone, because anyone would see that the Hunters would always win, Sigma would simply use the virus to force reploids into his cause, so he'd have an army again to help him on his fights.

I like to think he didn't use the virus on the first two games because he had hopes the reploids would have the same ideals as him, but during the final battle in X2 he simply lost it and decided to unleash the virus, thus revealing his viral form.

Didn't it kind of go back to the bosses being mavericks from choice in X7 and X8 though? I think the whole virus thing was only in megaman X4-X6 and even then I think some of them really did become mavericks by choice.

Didn't it kind of go back to the bosses being mavericks from choice in X7 and X8 though? I think the whole virus thing was only in megaman X4-X6 and even then I think some of them really did become mavericks by choice.

In X7, all of the bosses were completely fooled by Sigma into collecting data and the works. In X8, all of the bosses are new generation reploids, new generation reploids whose copy chips derived from many old model reploids, one of those old model reploids was Sigma.

In a sense, almost every boss in X8 WAS Sigma. They thought they weren't in the wrong because they couldn't go maverick due to their copy chips, but in truth...they already were from the moment they were created.

Oh okay, its been awhile since I've played them so I'm a bit hazy on the details. But weren't only the bosses you faced in the boss rush near the end the copy bots while bosses themselves were the actual thing?

Thanks for reminding me about how X8 has what is perhaps one of the most idiotic plots in the entire game franchise. Whoever approved of the idea of copy chips needs to be taken out back.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, the whole concept of copy chips, while a neat gameplay gimmick, raises too many questions narrative-wise and also makes no scientific or logical sense. Axl could do with a better gimmick, anyway, while it was neat in Command Mission, it was literally useless in X8.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Unfortunately, the X figure news got lost in the forum reset but, but the kickstarter is over. Hopefully some of you had set reminders!

f8GOMir.jpg

wtIgds4.jpg?1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes Legends isn't a spinoff its connected to the main series storyline, that means that whatever was going to happen in ZX3 made the events of Legends happen, or if not that then a series after that was to handle the ZX to Legends transition better but I doubt we will ever see that now.

Problem is that Legends was using MMX (current series at the time other then the classic series) as its base for timeskipping into the future , since then theirs been many developments in MMX and 2 more series' that need to be added in or change Legends to fit with those events.

I don't really see how the Legends series is connected to the Classic Megaman timeline (and subsequently everything that follows) since a lot of the plot points brought up in Legends and Legends 2 sort of contradicts the idea of it coming after the ZX or even the X series.

• 1 month later...

I don't really see how the Legends series is connected to the Classic Megaman timeline (and subsequently everything that follows) since a lot of the plot points brought up in Legends and Legends 2 sort of contradicts the idea of it coming after the ZX or even the X series.

months of delay in answering, but it IS canon that it follows the Classic timeline. You even have some hints in Zero and ZX, between the Reaverbot eyes in Zero 3 or 4, don't recall, and the merging of human/reploid in ZX that easily leads to the Legends' Carbons.

tbh Legends is set so far in the future of any series that it may as well be it's own thing.

I mean, it's not like there's any carryovers from the preceeding series like there was with the X series from the Classic series and the Zero series from the X series. There aren't any mentions of Mavericks or mad scientists or colony drops or whatever (later games establishing the transition of humans to Carbons aside).

(then again I reckon Legends made more sense as its own non-Mega Man IP)

• Thumbs Up 1

there's also the fact society in the moon was set up exactly like society in X

regardless the point IS that it's been so long it's basically a whole new civilization and world, but it's still canonically in the same timeline as Classic-ZX

Yeah, but it seems like a relatively pointless detail. I mean, for all the apparent lack of references to the older series and the lessened impact they had compared to how they impacted, say, ZX, why bother putting it in the timeline at all if it's largely inconsequential to the story?

months of delay in answering, but it IS canon that it follows the Classic timeline. You even have some hints in Zero and ZX, between the Reaverbot eyes in Zero 3 or 4, don't recall, and the merging of human/reploid in ZX that easily leads to the Legends' Carbons.

The main thing that throws me off of this idea is how many of the connections to previous entries are either easter eggs with no real connection (like zero's sabre; since there are no artifacts from the past other than this or a hint towards other things like this being the case) and the way the game treats the other entries in the series as if they weren't part of the canonicity of the games at all. 

Mega Man Battle Network and Mega Man Legends both show posters and other merchandise of the Original Mega Man series, the Mega Man X series, and etc.

I mean I could be wrong about this, but it just doesn't fit, and most of it seems coincidental.