Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

Since its a direct devoted only TO Smash Bros., my bet is on a FEW character reveals, perhaps some returning vets, and also game modes and maybe even a release date.

I do think that due to the timing, now would be the best opportunity to reveal a Golden Sun and Advance Wars character. Both games are getting re-released this month, so now's a great time to show them off and promote those games, and if they get enough attention they may get new games coming out later, as well.

I can't see more than two new characters getting revealed, and if we do get them, I think we'd be getting handheld characters. Although if a new third-party is in, I'd say they won't get revealed until E3.

More or less what I'm thinking, and ya it would be a perfect time to reveal those 2 characters, specialy since they both originate on the GBA and it could also bolster the VC sales, and the direct is smackdab in the middle between the two releases as well

These are great news indeed! Unusually late for a Nintendo Direct, but I am definitely going to catch this broadcast up at 11PM GMT. =)

I could see at least one newcomer announced in this Direct. Newcomer announcements have usually been featured as part of their previous Nintendo Directs so there could be an obvious chance for a newcomer to shine in this broadcast as well. Who could it be this time though?

Outside of character reveals, stages, items, regular and assist trophies, very little to nothing has been said about Smash Bros' game features. How the new Classic and Adventure modes will be? Will there be a brand-new game mode in this game? What other exclusive features will have between the 3DS and Wii U versions? How will Miiverse integrate in this game as well as the whole online component? There are a lot of details that need to be covered about this game, and given the status of game-related ND we may see them announced here this time. A more approximated release date would be more than welcomed as well.

Much like what happened with The Wonderful 101 Direct where Hideki Kamiya himself starred the show, I could see Masahiro Sakurai himself starring this one. With all that said, I remain myself cautiously optimistic, but boy I can't wait until next Tuesday. =D

I know this is speculation but bear with me.

Its really odd that the game is getting a whole Nintendo Direct to itself, but not in a bad kind of way. Since it's nearing the time for E3 around the corner, what if this is their way to flood the Smash info, because they might have other stuff at the show that this will take the time up of..?

Empty hopes, but hope nonetheless.

Really hoping we finally see more of the gameplay in this one and see how the games been shaping up so far and if we do get anything revealed in it, I hope they go over how the classic and adventure modes have been changed this time around.

More or less what I'm thinking, and ya it would be a perfect time to reveal those 2 characters, specialy since they both originate on the GBA and it could also bolster the VC sales, and the direct is smackdab in the middle between the two releases as well

I could maybe see Isaac. He's sort of in the same camp as Little Mac. Both were Assist Trophies in Brawl and both of their franchises have gotten new games since. Isaac was admittedly not the leading character, but he was still in it. But I still wouldn't bet on it. I'd still love it, though. Psynergy & Djinns could make for a cool moveset.

An Advance Wars character seems less likely to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know this is speculation but bear with me.

Its really odd that the game is getting a whole Nintendo Direct to itself, but not in a bad kind of way. Since it's nearing the time for E3 around the corner, what if this is their way to flood the Smash info, because they might have other stuff at the show that this will take the time up of..?

Empty hopes, but hope nonetheless.

I think that's exactly what they may do, since we are two months to go before E3. Best way is to dedicate its own Direct to Smash Bros and let other announcements roll at E3. Not that they won't mention Smash Bros at all on their E3 conference (possibly a newcomer plus an even more approximate release date?), but at least this special Direct will greatly save a lot of time on their future E3 conference which can be dedicated to other games.

Not to mention, Smash Bros is one of their most anticipated games for the console this year: it's important they deliver a ton of information to the audience about this game and dedicating its own Nintendo Direct is the best way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could maybe see Isaac. He's sort of in the same camp as Little Mac. Both were Assist Trophies in Brawl and both of their franchises have gotten new games since. Isaac was admittedly not the leading character, but he was still in it. But I still wouldn't bet on it. I'd still love it, though. Psynergy & Djinns could make for a cool moveset.

An Advance Wars character seems less likely to me.

Honestly I disagree with the notion of an Advance Wars character being less likely. First of all, we don't know if Snake is back yet. If Snake is not back, an Advance Wars character would be the best fit to replace him.

Second of all... Advance Wars has been around FAR LONGER than Golden Sun has, and although no Advance Wars character appeared as an Assist in Brawl, the Tanks Assist Trophy was based on Advance Wars.

The Advance Wars series is known in the west as "Advance Wars" because the GBA was the first console to have a game in the series. Until Advance Wars, all the Wars games were named after the console they were on. They just kept the name Advance Wars once it came out, although in Japan they're still known as Famicon Wars.

Honestly, I'd think that an Advance Wars character is MORE likely than Isaac from Golden Sun. The chances diminish, but aren't gone completely, if Snake is back.

• Thumbs Up 1

So... assuming Super Smash Bros for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS isn't the final title for the game (though I honestly wouldn't be surprised with Nintendo's uninspired naming patterns lately), what do you hope it turns out to be should they reveal it in this Direct?

My money's on Super Smash Bros Bitch-Slap! :P

I hope to God it's not been delayed in Europe like last time with Brawl.

Was there ever a reason given for that? Luckily I managed to import it and I bought a Freeloader

Anyway I'm still hoping that Mewtwo returns as I loved playing as him in Melee.

So... assuming Super Smash Bros for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS isn't the final title for the game (though I honestly wouldn't be surprised with Nintendo's uninspired naming patterns lately), what do you hope it turns out to be should they reveal it in this Direct?

My money's on Super Smash Bros Bitch-Slap! :P

Unfortunately I doubt were going to get a new subtitle even though I would like to. I think Super Smash Bros. Showdown would be a cool name.

Was there ever a reason given for that?

I don't think there was, but it was probably because of them having to translate and dub it into multiple languages (French, German, Spanish and Italian). It was really annoying because there was no way you could hide for six months from the spoilers being posted online! I just want a worldwide release date like Pokemon X/Y.

• Thumbs Up 2

My money's on Super Smash Bros Bitch-Slap! tongue.png

New Super Smash Bros.

or Rumble

• Thumbs Up 6

I won't be able to see the stream because my internet's been acting up on me recently. So I'll just wait til it's over.

Whatever it is, I hope it'll be good! biggrin.png

I Didn't think we'd get a smash direct unless we were close to release date.

Now this weekend is going to be slow.

Its gonna be nice seeing some footage of the 3ds version, like to see it in motion again.

Oh god I hope I'm not working Tuesday.

I wanna see some items in motion now.

As for the poster who asked about the possible final name, I predict Super Smash Bros Clash.

Very nice! So in the US, this whole thing starts 4 PM MST, right?

Its 3PM PST, so that'd be 4PM MST, correct. I should be able to watch it at 5PM CST. In fact, I think Tuesday is the one weekday I usually always have off (it varies as I'm freelance, but I tend to always have Thursday/Friday and either Monday or Wednesday, not that I don't check updates in between getting work done :P).

Its 3PM PST, so that'd be 4PM MST, correct. I should be able to watch it at 5PM CST. In fact, I think Tuesday is the one weekday I usually always have off (it varies as I'm freelance, but I tend to always have Thursday/Friday and either Monday or Wednesday, not that I don't check updates in between getting work done tongue.png).

Okay then. Thanks for answering. Just wanted to make sure.

Super Smash Bros Mildly Non-cordial Disagreement

I mean Universe would be too obvious.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm sorry but I was pretty sure it was confirmed the current known titles were intended to be final. The only reason I can see it changing is by fan demand at the names being too "boring."

I'm sorry but I was pretty sure it was confirmed the current known titles were intended to be final. The only reason I can see it changing is by fan demand at the names being too "boring."

Yeah in all likelihood they are final, especially as they've stuck with them this far along in development, but it's fun to speculate nevertheless :P

I'm still holding out for Super Smash Bros: Angrily Worded Letter of Disapproval

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the names. I hope Nintendo does change their minds on that, even if it's not likely. Anyway,

Super Smash Bros.: Sonic-Fanbase

• Thumbs Up 3

My money's on Super Smash Bros Bitch-Slap! tongue.png

IIRC Sakurai said it was the final title.

Not that I have any problems with that. Mostly because I am convinced that 100% of fan titles for Smash Bros games are conceived by people who googled synonyms for "brawl" or "melee" and just tacked that on. 

• Thumbs Up 2