Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

Though it's not likely, I understand the appeal for having KRTD Waddle Dee in with his spear. 

Just sayin', I understand you, Azoo my man.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thinking about moves, for the moment... The whole 'Smash Ball' mechanic reminds me of the original Digimon Battle Spirit, where evolution is triggered by Calumon flying in and a player touching him, enabling them to basically wreck the shit out of their opponent. Battle Spirit 2, on the other hand, discarded that mechanic in favor of a 'super meter' mechanic, like a normal fighting game (Little Mac has something similar), where filling up the super meter to full enables the player to trigger a 'super move mode' where they perform suped-up versions of regular attacks. But it also had a 'Hyper Meter' of sorts, which is filled by collecting 'diamonds' that are knocked out of the opponent and could be collected by anyone, and when the player collects enough, the player can perform a 'hyper move' that has a limited radius, but if they catch the opponent in it, a special fancy animation plays, and a massive amount of damage occurs. The different between these is that one is sort of a 'devil trigger' mode that both players can use at the same time and doesn't force a huge disadvantage on either of them, while the hyper move requires skill to connect with the opponent in order to execute in the first place.

Basically, two ways of acquiring 'Final Smash' mechanics in less luck-based ways. It's an interesting notion, though we'll obviously not see anything like that in this game outside of Little Mac's super meter.

Combine Spear Waddle Dee and Bandanna Dee...Both from the Kirby Super Star remake on the DS, its a genius idea...one would never think of such a glorious combination.

Would Waddle Dee's Final Smash be turning into Waddle Doo? :P

I'd be cool with it, hell I'd be fine with Toad (though it'd probably be SMB2/3D World's Blue Toad to make it unique from the one Peach has), but I guess they aren't really likely. *shrug*

You'd think, after 3 previous titles and reveals out of nowhere that people would have gotten this through our heads, but nope, they still go on. I don't see how hard it is to understand this simple detail, or to at least recognize that if you can't see it either someone else or even Sakurai himself probably can. Because regardless of whether it's a whole franchise in itself, who the fuck really saw WFT trainer as being playable until reveal? And even considering that most Pokemon by default have movesets, who the fuck saw them bringing in Greninja over the dozens of other Pokemon candidates they could have chosen? (who I find awesome despite stopping at Gen 2)

Yes, there's WTF characters thrown out there. For the most part, though, character choices make sense. There's a rare odd choice here and there, but who do we have as a whole?

None of the original Smash choices were really all that odd. The unlockables  except Luigi? Maybe...

For Melee, we got a ton of obvious choices. There was the way out there Mr. Game and Watch, and Ice Climbers. Marth wasn't really out there, he was included because of the popularity of Fire Emblem in Japan and barely made it to the US, and Roy was added merely to promote his game that was coming out. Pichu and Dr. Mario were a bit questionable, but nothing too out there either.

In Brawl, the way-out-there characters are R.O.B. and Snake, and Snake is justified in that Kojima practically begged for him to be in Melee but it was too late, so he was brought into Brawl instead. Pit is arguable, but I believe he was highly requested. Zero Suit Samus? The only other choice from Metroid is Ridley, and due to his body shape (size isn't an issue, they'll resize him if they want) he was probably an awkward one to deal with. Maybe Toon Link, though he really was just a replacement for Young Link.

So far for Smash 4, the only odd one out choice is Wii Fit Trainer. Greninja isn't really all that odd, it was really a matter of questioning which to pick from X and Y.

Yes, there's always going to be some surprise way-out-there characters, but for the most part fan favorites or iconic/important characters are generally chosen. We just speculate based on the patterns and popularity.

Yes, there's WTF characters thrown out there. For the most part, though, character choices make sense. There's a rare odd choice here and there, but who do we have as a whole?

Yes, there's always going to be some surprise way-out-there characters, but for the most part fan favorites or iconic/important characters are generally chosen. We just speculate based on the patterns and popularity.

Yet my point still remains regardless of how you go about justifying it: either the character makes it as a playable fighter or they don't. End of discussion.

You'd think that would get through to people at this point. Because for all the patterns and popularity, the fact that we have characters like WFT, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch and so forth should be a big ass indicator of "prepared to be surprised" over whoever else they pick out of the bunch regardless of whether you think they'll make it or not. And it's not just about odd choices, as even Greninja's an example. While being popular from what I see, there are dozens of other popular candidates in Pokemon aside from Greninja they could have picked, and it just so happens they picked it out of all the others.

With the My Music feature from Brawl is coming back, i hope they'll use You Can Do Anything as a track for Windy Hilly, i heard it was planned to appear in Brawl but was cut and replaced by Sonic Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3PgxYA-5QE

If a song as upbeat as Super Sonic Racing can make it into a Smash Bros. game, why can't this?

I'm hoping for more remixes of Sonic tracks personally.  The only one he got in Brawl was that Angel Island one (which was pretty dang good mind you).  We already know Megaman is getting remixes of Wily Castle 2 (in his reveal trailer) and Spark Man (in his section of the most recent direct) themes and there will probably be more (I'm personally hoping for Quick Man's theme) so hopefully the same applies for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah personally I can't wait for the Windy Hill, Green Hill, Splash Hill, and Seaside Hill remixes

God I would fucking kill for any of the Sonic 1 8-bit level songs to appear in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 4

Can't forget about dat Emerald Hill too :3

And yeah something like a Bridge Zone remix would be all kinds of dope.

I'm sure Sonic will get remixes this time, they probably only had time for one last time because he was added mid-development.  The sound team had probably already been allocated what they were doing so they gave Jun Senoue a quick lil ring a ding to whip something up.

Don't get your hopes up for You Can Do Anything though.  If they couldn't use it in the definitive version of Sonic CD I don't think they'll be able to here.

Since it's been confirmed that some music will be returning, I imagine at least Green Hill, Live & Learn and maybe Angel Island will return as choices.  Though Green Hill might have been a special treat last time considering how much SEGA clearly don't own the rights for the music by the Anniversary CDs.

Sonic definitely needs more remixes this time around and new victory music! I understand he only had one really awesome remix last time because he was added quite late into Brawl's development. Also explains why Sonic appears so late into Subspace Emissary's story. As for returning songs, Sonic Boom and Live and Learn should definitely be in! I couldn't care less about Green Hill, I think it's quite boring and not suitable for battle music.

And it's not just about odd choices, as even Greninja's an example. While being popular from what I see, there are dozens of other popular candidates in Pokemon aside from Greninja they could have picked, and it just so happens they picked it out of all the others.

But this is very similar to how Lucario was chosen for Brawl. Diamond and Pearl had just come out and they wanted a brand new Pokemon rep for their game. Who is the most popular Pokemon in Gen 4? Lucario!

I mean, which Pokemon in Gen 6 is as popular as Greninja, or would have been a better choice? Delphox? Hawlucha? Ehhh...

If they do get You can do anything, would they be able to use the vocals this time since in SASRT they said something about there being copyright issues with those.

I'm sure they also go sonic heroes in it to. I'm hoping we get the deadly six theme on here and the final showdown.

If they don't remix then that would be so disappointing.

What copyright issues? I thought SEGA owned the song.

Apparently not, since the vocals have not appeared in an official game since the Sonic CD port in the Japanese release of Gems Collection (if I recall).  They wouldn't get rid of the vocal themes for the definitive re-release of Sonic CD in 2011 for no reason.  They definitely own the song as it was composed by in-house musician Naofumi Hayata, but presumably they have to pay royalties to Keiko Otaru(? think that's her name) and possibly those ghostbusters rapping guys if they want to use their vocals.

Makes me wonder who's the music team for SSB4? Is it Namco's sound team or Sakurai's sound team or both?

If anything, I would like the Sonic remixes to be done by either of these guys. My thoughts for one of them being Yuzo Koshiro doing a remix of Bridge Zone and for some Sonic tracks too.

Makes me wonder who's the music team for SSB4? Is it Namco's sound team or Sakurai's sound team or both?

If anything, I would like the Sonic remixes to be done by either of these guys. My thoughts for one of them being Yuzo Koshiro doing a remix of Bridge Zone and for some Sonic tracks too.

They seem to get the original composers depending on the series, I think.

They do, you can even check in brawl when looking at sounds and music's and you see the credits of the remix.

The remix of angel island you'll see the name of the composer.

SEGA! MAKES SOME REMIX GODDAMNIT

Sorry

They seem to get the original composers depending on the series, I think.

That's true, I think they may do it here too, but probably nowhere to the extent of Smash Bros. Brawl like how they got a whole bunch of different composers together.

Jords2Good: I believe it was Gilvasunner's videos of Brawl that had the name of the original composers and arrangers. 

But this is very similar to how Lucario was chosen for Brawl. Diamond and Pearl had just come out and they wanted a brand new Pokemon rep for their game. Who is the most popular Pokemon in Gen 4? Lucario!

I mean, which Pokemon in Gen 6 is as popular as Greninja, or would have been a better choice? Delphox? Hawlucha? Ehhh...

I don't know which Gen 6 Pokemon is as popular as who (nor do I particularly care), because as I said earlier I quit after Gen 2.

But I don't see how that detracts from my overall point: either the character makes it or they don't. Whoever else they pick over Greninja would have been used if they so choose, or even no extra rep at all.