Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

Um, can I I ask why you don't want PacMan in, if that is okay?

The show ruined it.

Could always use pacman world pacman but who am I kidding, with that stunt they pulled on the sega building, namco is definitely going to push for the new design -_-.

Um, can I I ask why you don't want PacMan in, if that is okay?

Pac Man to me has always been a yellow circle with no character, no personality and no charm. I don't like any Pac Man games at all. He has very little to do with Nintendo, 3 third party characters is overkill and they're going to use the 2013 revival version which everyone hates. I think its a waste.

... and they're going to use the 2013 revival version which everyone hates.

I don't hate it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is just as petty as hating the Modern Sonic design because over half of the games his design was in were bad.

It's just an updated design. It doesn't necessarily reflect character or gameplay. Don't lose your minds over it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The redesign look cool and even better then the world design but I'm worried that they'll bring elements from the show.

I rather not fight in a generic city from the future.

I thought the general consensus was that it wasn't as good as Pac Man World's design.

I wouldn't say that (its somewhat my favorite as far as pacman designs go but worlds is a close second) I think alot of people actually do like it, they just hate the show that its used in.

The show ruined it.

Suit yourself. I have not seen the show itself, but regardless, even if it is bad, I would still want Pacman to be in this game. Sure, there are other Namco characters that could be in this game, but even though he may not be as big as he was when he first appeared, he is still a gaming icon, considering how his first game was so big. You think what you want, but I would like to see Pacman in Smash.

Edit: Plus, it is not like they will make Pacman have his TV show appearance in Smash.

I rather not fight in a generic city from the future.

Why? It's as reasonable a place as any.

I thought the general consensus was that it wasn't as good as Pac Man World's design.

What even is the difference?

So his shoes look like actual shoes and not shoe-shaped blobs and his eyes look like eyes rather than like they were drawn on with a sharpie. Honestly I'd call that an improvement.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091016043242/pacman/images/c/c7/Pac_man.jpg

and

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Pac-Man_character_art_-_The_Adventure_Begins.png

There is a pretty moderate difference between the two designs when looking at them back to back and yeah I agree with dio on this one, while the new design may be associated with a bad show, the design itself is still pretty good.

Suit yourself. I have not seen the show itself, but regardless, even if it is bad, I would still want Pacman to be in this game. Sure, there are other Namco characters that could be in this game, but even though he may not be as big as he was when he first appeared, he is still a gaming icon, considering how his first game was so big. You think what you want, but I would like to see Pacman in Smash.

Edit: Plus, it is not like they will make Pacman have his TV show appearance in Smash.

I wouldn't mind if Pac Man is in Smash with his redesign (as I actually like it) but I don't want them to bring elements from the Show.

The design looks fine to me. Complaints about that design are worse than the complaints about Modern Sonic vs. Classic Sonic, honestly, the differences are barely noticeable in that Pac-Man redesign. It just looks like a more detailed Pac-Man World design, really.

EDIT: That said, I really don't want Pac-Man in the game. I've never played the Professor Layton games, but honestly I'd rather have him in than Pac-Man.

I never felt there was anything super special about Pacman for me. There are a ton of other 3rd party characters from Namco I would prefer over him, and even then , I'm fine with the 2 that we have already. I mean I be gets in, cool I you like him. I'll still buy the game, just won't play as him. He'd literally be the last of the new included characters (that we've seen)I'd want to try out.

It's not so much Pac's design as that freaking horrendous show. Other M representation doesn't fill me with as much loathing.

I'd personally rather not have Pac-Man but instead have someone like, say, Simon Belmont instead. Pac-Man just isn't remotely interesting to me as a character, there's just literally nothing to him aside from being a yellow blob who eats dots, and that's basically the age-old collectibles mechanic. There's just almost nothing to him that isn't connected to the mechanics of his original game, and every attempt Namco has done to try and change that has has either been not remotely interesting or not remotely original.

Pac-Man is essentially a one-hit-wonder who has lived past his prime and desperately attempts to crawl back into relevance, except if it isn't a release or remake of his original hit, few people actually care. His actual video game is more relevant than the character himself.

tl;dr: nostalgia is pretty much the only reason anyone even remotely cares about Pac-Man.

• Thumbs Up 7

Smash4 Direct check-list:

- Alternate costumes announcement (probably won't happen)

- Adventure mode info dump

- Ness, Cpt. Falcon or Yoshi appears

- New modes revealed

- Design decision that splits the fanbase again

- New character reveals

- Ridley confirmed too big to not be in 4

- More new items

- Release date drop (which will be delayed anyways)

- Even more scrolling stages

- Character / stage / assist trophy noone expected gets revealed

- Sakurai breaks every bone in body, apologizes to fans any ways

I'll have my copy ready to check off for when the stream begins.

A Link Between Worlds Spoilers:

I'd love for Link to have a Ravio costume or at least a Ravio inspired one. 

Something like this:

vhrrlk.png

• Thumbs Up 5

The main problem I have with Pacman is that he's sort of the obvious "Namco mascot" character choicd, but his moveset potential...well, his moveset potential sucks donkey balls.

The original maze games, the only games he's truly known for, don't offer anything beyond basic movement and eating things.  And the platforming games that tried to flesh him out ended up just giving him knock offs of moves from actual platforming characters.  Moves like a chargeable rolling attack, the ability to bounce repeatedly, the ability to fly along trails of dots, and he even had a power up that turned him into metal.

As for his most recent stuff, it seems like the big gimmick is that he transforms and gains new powers by eating stuff.  And the cartoon lets him just fly.  It's like they're actively trying to turn Pac Man into the yellow Kirby that Miyamoto wanted.

I just can't help but think that Pac Man would be a waste of time as a character.

• Thumbs Up 1

The main problem I have with Pacman is that he's sort of the obvious "Namco mascot" character choicd, but his moveset potential...well, his moveset potential sucks donkey balls.

The original maze games, the only games he's truly known for, don't offer anything beyond basic movement and eating things.  And the platforming games that tried to flesh him out ended up just giving him knock offs of moves from actual platforming characters.  Moves like a chargeable rolling attack, the ability to bounce repeatedly, the ability to fly along trails of dots, and he even had a power up that turned him into metal.

As for his most recent stuff, it seems like the big gimmick is that he transforms and gains new powers by eating stuff.  And the cartoon lets him just fly.  It's like they're actively trying to turn Pac Man into the yellow Kirby that Miyamoto wanted.

I just can't help but think that Pac Man would be a waste of time as a character.

I've never really understood this argument, when there are similar and arguably more obscure characters already in Smash Bros, at least in comparison to Pac-Man.

(Re: Candescence and G-Force's posts)

That's my main beef with Pac Man too.  He holds about as much interest as a character to me as the triangle that shoots the rocks from Asteroids.

You could give that triangle arms, legs and a face too and it'd be as interesting as modern Pac Man is.

I've never really understood this argument, when there are similar and arguably more obscure characters already in Smash Bros, at least in comparison to Pac-Man.

And all of them are assist trophies. And nearly all of them have far more actual character to them than Pac-Man. You're not helping your counter-argument, mate.

And that's ignoring the fact that your counter-point is dangerously close to having absolutely nothing to do with the points you're arguing against.

Late to the party but ... *gasp* Hype get! a Direct focused on Smash Bros only? Hopefully we'll see a bunch of gameplay footage, a new character and more. Here's what I expect:

-A new character

-Probably some veterans too (Yoshi I'm lookin at you!)

-some moveset gameplay footage, explaining some changes.

-More info on the new "story" mode.

-Probably show off a new assist trophy. They might as well show the ones we've seen so far, but in action.

-New items 

-New stage