Awoo.

"Sonic Dissected" Dissected: (LEGO) Sonic Dimensions As You Truly Imagined It

FriendBot

Gold!! Best dissected yet! I really love his in depth details on how the characters can and should be handled.Kreme, although a cutesy character, has potential to be respected if he can have a chance to prove herself to the audience. Even for all my loathing for the  Babylon Rouges, I can admit that the evil twin concept is pretty sweet! As for the D6, they were birthed for the very reasons of being offensive cliches and lame koopalings ripoffs. Keep em put I say. They don't really fit the Sonic vibe. Otherwise, I love how this guy thinks. He's pretty imaginative and his subtle humor really pulls his videos together. Keep it up Roger! I nominate he discuss how the "lost characters" like Fang, Mighty, Honey and Ray could fit in a current sonic narrative. That would be sexier than pork meatballs. wink.png

Yeah that'd be fun an ep about ''lost characters'' we should make him consider this. And yeah D6 are characters' fastfood but there's no reason to see them ever again since theyr aren't really liked.

-back on topic-

Yes I agree. This was a very nice video.   smile.png

I enjoyed his little bit about the characters returning in Sonic Boom: Orbot, Cubot and "Marine". The characters few care about over characters like Shadow, Rouge, Blaze and the Chaotix. I do hope that these other characters make an appearance in Boom, it's only fair to bring these guys back since they've been around longer.

As for the other characters he mentioned, I pretty much feel the same way about each of them. They could work in Sonic's "cool" universe, but they all need some major changes made to them. Especially Cream, who I believe should stay out of the adventures completely. She's a sweet little flower child who hates violence, so going on action-packed adventures sort of goes against her character.

You know I never though about the idea of a violent Cream (or clumsy with violent result Cream) and TBH I really enjoy that idea, that could probably give some spice to that character (make it cooler like Roger said). About Rouge there's something that annoys me about the new Rouge, like it was said on this video, the biggest danger is when a character becomes a parody. I feel that Rouge became a seductress out of nowhere, if you remember clearly she was acting normal from SA2 to 06, then they made her a Jessica Rabbit-type of character. I kinda prefer the previous Rouge.

• Thumbs Up 1

And yeah D6 are characters' fastfood but there's no reason to see them ever again since theyr aren't really liked.

Again, I ask. If you think the Deadly Six aren't "legit Sonic characters" because of their designs, then tell me: what do you think of Biolizard, the Black Arms, Iblis and Solaris? Because the way I see it, the Deadly Six gels far more effectively with how the Sonic franchise usually goes than any of those other monsters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gold!! Best dissected yet! I really love his in depth details on how the characters can and should be handled. Cream, although a cutesy character, has potential to be respected if he can have a chance to prove herself to the audience. Even for all my loathing for the  Babylon Rouges, I can admit that the evil twin concept is pretty sweet! As for the D6, they were birthed for the very reasons of being offensive cliches and lame koopalings ripoffs. Keep em put I say. They don't really fit the Sonic vibe. Otherwise, I love how this guy thinks. He's pretty imaginative and his subtle humor really pulls his videos together. Keep it up Roger! I nominate he discuss how the "lost characters" like Fang, Mighty, Honey and Ray could fit in a current sonic narrative. That would be sexier than pork meatballs. wink.png

Yes, I agree. Even characters like the Babylon Rogues can work well in the Sonic universe, as long as they're well written.

I also agree about the Deadly Six. They're very poorly written- no background is given on them, they have stereotypical personalities, and honestly, we're never given a reason for why they decided to turn on Sonic. Eggman, sure, because he "enslaved" them. Sonic did them no wrong, in fact, it's because he kicked the conch out of Eggman's hands that the Deadly Six were freed. They should have actually aided Sonic....yet they tried to kill him and Eggman. Why? We'll never know, because we know nothing about them other than their stereotypical personalities. The only way to obtain information about them is by reading the mini-comic or looking on sites- no information is given in-game. A very poor way to introduce new characters to a franchise, in my opinion.

The only way I could see these six could work is if they're greatly modified. The suggestions Roger made are good starts. I also believe they need to be redesigned, since they look like they belong in Skylanders or some other franchise. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah that'd be fun an ep about ''lost characters'' we should make him consider this. And yeah D6 are characters' fastfood but there's no reason to see them ever again since theyr aren't really liked.

You know I never though about the idea of a violent Cream (or clumsy with violent result Cream) and TBH I really enjoy that idea, that could probably give some spice to that character (make it cooler like Roger said). About Rouge there's something that annoys me about the new Rouge, like it was said on this video, the biggest danger is when a character becomes a parody. I feel that Rouge became a seductress out of nowhere, if you remember clearly she was acting normal from SA2 to 06, then they made her a Jessica Rabbit-type of character. I kinda prefer the previous Rouge.

Yeah...I miss Rouge :( I think if she had an established role in the series, it would go a long way to repairing her.I would love to see more of her lounge/nightclub thing and what she does in her spare time. It would be cool since she is the only character that has many roles rather than just one like Sonic=Hero, Knuckles=Stoic Guardian, Tails=Little Brother. That could be an interesting dynamic I say.

And yes yes yes! What is the god forsaken point of brining back boring, offensive, stereotypical, cookie cutter, BS characters whenw we have FREEKING FANG THE SNIPER AT OUR DISPOSAL! Man sega wdf was wrong with you?? Fang could have made SLW legit funny. :(

I actually came up with my own Lost World concept that includes the lost characters lol

The only way I could see these six could work is if they're greatly modified. The suggestions Roger made are good starts. I also believe they need to be redesigned, since they look like they belong in Skylanders or some other franchise. 

So much win xD

• Thumbs Up 2

I also agree about the Deadly Six. They're very poorly written- no background is given on them, they have stereotypical personalities, and honestly, we're never given a reason for why they decided to turn on Sonic. Eggman, sure, because he "enslaved" them. Sonic did them no wrong, in fact, it's because he kicked the conch out of Eggman's hands that the Deadly Six were freed. They should have actually aided Sonic....yet they tried to kill him and Eggman. Why? 

... Because they don't like him? Because, by the time Sonic "freed" them, he's already kicked two of their boys' behind? Just because they hate Eggman, doesn't mean that they're automatically obligated to like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah...I miss Rouge sad.png I think if she had an established role in the series, it would go a long way to repairing her.I would love to see more of her lounge/nightclub thing and what she does in her spare time. It would be cool since she is the only character that has many roles rather than just one like Sonic=Hero, Knuckles=Stoic Guardian, Tails=Little Brother. That could be an interesting dynamic I say.

And yes yes yes! What is the god forsaken point of brining back boring, offensive, stereotypical, cookie cutter, BS characters whenw we have FREEKING FANG THE SNIPER AT OUR DISPOSAL! Man sega wdf was wrong with you?? Fang could have made SLW legit funny. sad.png

I actually came up with my own Lost World concept that includes the lost characters lol

Yes, I'd really like seeing Rouge again too. She's a government spy, jewel thief.....they could do some work with that. I could see GUN sending her on missions, especially when the world is involved. Shadow as well, since he's now a government agent.

I mean, this is just a simple way to involve them in the games more....I'm sure a very talented writer could come up with something far better.

I also agree, Sega should implement Fang. Though, not in Sonic Lost World, it'd be kind of random to bring him back in that game. I could see him make an appearance in Sonic Boom though, and I think he'd fit in very well.   smile.png

You have a Lost World concept? Nice! I'd like to hear it.  ^^

Yes, I'd really like seeing Rouge again too. She's a government spy, jewel thief.....they could do some work with that. I could see GUN sending her on missions, especially when the world is involved. Shadow as well, since he's now a government agent.

I mean, this is just a simple way to involve them in the games more....I'm sure a very talented writer could come up with something far better.

I also agree, Sega should implement Fang. Though, not in Sonic Lost World, it'd be kind of random to bring him back in that game. I could see him make an appearance in Sonic Boom though, and I think he'd fit in very well.   smile.png

You have a Lost World concept? Nice! I'd like to hear it.  ^^

I sure do! I'll have to inbox it to you sometime! ;)

I dunno why SEGA kees making these obligatory world expansions that failt to get as beloved as any other previous portions of established canon. Take Sonic Adventure and Colors for examples. I have never seen anyone try and expand on the lore of Sonic colors nearly as much as Sonic Adventure. The only time I see anyone trying to build off of what Sonic colors established (abandoned) is when they are trying to explain the cursed existence of SLW's "Lost" Hex xDDDDD I mean we have so much potential still left in the Classics as well as the Sonic Adventure period and even 06....why not utilize it??? Makes 0 sense. Invent generic characters instead of recycling the old ones we churned is logic belonging exclusively to the professors at Sega Institute lol!

• Thumbs Up 1

... Because they don't like him? Because, by the time Sonic "freed" them, he's already kicked two of their boys' behind? Just because they hate Eggman, doesn't mean that they're automatically obligated to like Sonic.

This is actually the one thing I was really thankful for from the D6. I was so sure that they were going to turn into heroes or at least neutral guys by the end of the game to help stop Eggman or something.

Though, ending was crap anyway, maybe I'd prefer it? I dunno. I just know we sometimes get villains that turn good and blah. We already have enough heroes.

• Thumbs Up 3

I sure do! I'll have to inbox it to you sometime! wink.png

I dunno why SEGA kees making these obligatory world expansions that failt to get as beloved as any other previous portions of established canon. Take Sonic Adventure and Colors for examples. I have never seen anyone try and expand on the lore of Sonic colors nearly as much as Sonic Adventure. The only time I see anyone trying to build off of what Sonic colors established (abandoned) is when they are trying to explain the cursed existence of SLW's "Lost" Hex xDDDDD I mean we have so much potential still left in the Classics as well as the Sonic Adventure period and even 06....why not utilize it??? Makes 0 sense. Invent generic characters instead of recycling the old ones we churned is logic belonging exclusively to the professors at Sega Institute lol!

Yes, I agree. Even characters like the Babylon Rogues can work well in the Sonic universe, as long as they're well written.

I also agree about the Deadly Six. They're very poorly written- no background is given on them, they have stereotypical personalities, and honestly, we're never given a reason for why they decided to turn on Sonic. Eggman, sure, because he "enslaved" them. Sonic did them no wrong, in fact, it's because he kicked the conch out of Eggman's hands that the Deadly Six were freed. They should have actually aided Sonic....yet they tried to kill him and Eggman. Why? We'll never know, because we know nothing about them other than their stereotypical personalities. The only way to obtain information about them is by reading the mini-comic or looking on sites- no information is given in-game. A very poor way to introduce new characters to a franchise, in my opinion.

If you look at post 06 games you notice that ST decided to use disposable one-use new characters so the D6 aren't a new habit it's more like  the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

Instead of being involved with their mytho they are acting distant with it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Again, I ask: what's so "un-Sonic" about the Deadly Six's designs that's not as blatant with, say, Biolizard, the Black Arms, Iblis or Solaris?

• Thumbs Up 8

I sure do! I'll have to inbox it to you sometime! wink.png

What lore/mythology was there in Colors?

I do agree, Sega should re-use the characters they have and develop them, instead of creating new characters every week. 

If you look at post 06 games you notice that ST decided to use disposable one-use new characters so the D6 aren't a new habit it's more like  the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

Instead of being involved with their mytho they are acting distant with it. 

Yeah, you're right about the one-use disposables. I mean, even with '06 introducing Silver, we at least see Silver again in future games. We never see Professor Pickle, Chip/Light Gaia, any of the characters from the Storybook games, or Yacker/the Wisps, at least not in the stories. And now, we'll probably never see the Deadly Six again. The Deadly Six were the last straws, at least for me.

Sega should be more involved with their mythology, really. They keep adding so much lore, yet they do little with it.  =/

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly besides Cubot, The Deadly 6, and Boom (if that counts since it's a whole different universe) they haven't created new characters in a long while.

I do agree, Sega should re-use the characters they have and develop them, instead of creating new characters every week. 

Exactly my point lol. Colors was devoid of any substantial narrative lol. I dunno what's running through ST's head right now...

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, I ask: what's so "un-Sonic" about the Deadly Six's designs that's not as blatant with, say, Biolizard, the Black Arms, Iblis or Solaris?

Mmmm... I think it may just be personal preference for some parties -- not inherently about the design of some characters, but the world they're connected to. It's a dismissal of something because you rather not accept fault of a product.

Let's take Biolizard. I love SA2. There's others who do as well. However, for some, to say Biolizard doesn't mold well with the design of Sonic characters is to admit a fault of the game. This is true for Black Arms, Iblis, and Solaris -- hell, even Metal Overlord (but at least Metal Overlord is a robot?) and Time Eater.

Some people want to claim that everything they love to in a game is faultless -- or at least the feature that they love the most. For SA2 fans, it's usually the plot. They rather not listen to the idea that the plot isn't without fault. And that's not the case. SA2's plot DOES have faults, SA2's characterization DOES have fault, the designs of characters? Faults.

Yes, SA2's strongest feature does have faults.

My question, "Is that so bad?" Is it so bad to admit that your favorite game is with fault?

No.

SA1 and SA2 have faults, a lot of them. Those two are my favorite Sonic games.

My favorite game of all time has faults. A helluva lot of them: Fallout New Vegas. Bugs out the ass with that game. And some other little things that just bother me.

It's not a bad thing to admit there's faults with your favorite games. No game is without faults.  And there probably never will be.

Except Pong.

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess if you count extraneous characters we technically have had new characters like the wisps and the time eater but besides them we really haven't had many new characters (oh and cubot).

I think the only way the Deadly six aren't "legit" Sonic characters is through their designs, as they don't use the basic template for Sonic characters that was established in the classics. Instead, the artists used their own style, just like how Black Doom, the Archie characters, and AoStH characters were brought into being. With this being done, they clash with the established characters, looking like they came from an entirely different series, and in the process break the definition of what a Sonic character is for the established series.

However, I fail to see how they aren't "legit" Sonic characters when it comes to personalities. Yes, they are stereotypes. And? Tails is a "kid genius" stereotype, Amy is a "obsessed fangirl" stereotype, Big and Storm are "dumb" stereotypes, and Eggman is a "mad scientist" stereotype. What makes the Deadly six so different? 

• Thumbs Up 4

I think this is one of the element that made Colors getting a positive reception on the internet. Even without having a huge appeal, Colors was associated with the end of the storybook series. The problem with the storybook series is even if the games had cool content the big picture was still Sonic and Pals being thrown into universes they don't belong to, And nobody genuinely think Sonic being captured by magic books and living non-Sonic stories is awesome. Colors uses original content again so that may explain why that game got positive reviews on the internet even if the game had a really shallow mytho as you said. And the current problem right now is they cannot use people's repulsion for the storybook series anymore so the ''Colors era'' is being judged for what it is (especially the flaws).

• Thumbs Up 2

*snip!*

... So, are you gonna answer my question, or not?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is one of the element that made Colors getting a positive reception on the internet. Even without having a huge appeal, Colors was associated with the end of the storybook series. The problem with the storybook series is even if the games had cool content the big picture was still Sonic and Pals being thrown into universes they don't belong to, And nobody genuinely think Sonic being captured by magic books and living non-Sonic stories is awesome. Colors uses original content again so that may explain why that game got positive reviews on the internet even if the game had a really shallow mytho as you said. And the current problem right now is they cannot use people's repulsion for the storybook series anymore so the ''Colors era'' is being judged for what it is (especially the flaws).

Don't forget it was loved for being the anti-06 of the series

• Thumbs Up 3

I had always thought that Sonic Colors was received well because it did away with unnecessary gameplay additions (Werehogs, Treasure Hunting, Psychokinesis etc), gave it a simple to follow story that was free of Adventure-era melodrama and had an otherwise charming and colorful presentation. And then there's the whole "decent gameplay" bit, but I digress. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 5

"Really shallow"? I don't think Colors had any mytho, to be honest.

As for your last line, I was just talking to someone else about this. As soon as a new Sonic game comes out, people go back to the older games and judge them further. People thought Unleashed, even with the Werehog stages, was the best thing since the Adventure games (or S3&K.....or Sonic 1, depends who you ask), and then Colors came around and all of a sudden, Unleashed became "flawed". Then, Generations came out and then Colors, which was labeled as "the best Sonic game to date" when it came out, became forgotten and people started picking out it's flaws. And not even Generations escaped this, as many people believed Sonic Lost World would be "the best Sonic game to date", completely ignoring the fact that they said the exact same thing about Generations and Colors. It's pretty much a cycle at this point.

... So. About that whole "Deadly Six's designs making them 'bootleg Sonic characters'" talk. How does this apply to them versus, say, Biolizard, the Black Arms, Iblis or Solaris? No, seriously, I'm curious to see how does this apply exclusively to the Zeti.

• Thumbs Up 1

... So, are you gonna answer my question, or not?

I think we've clearly established that Double A and Co. live on another plane of reality, and find mortal questions beneath them. Either that or really persistent random blackouts. Both are strong possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget it was loved for being the anti-06 of the series

If I remember well that was Roger's interpretation discussed in 06 Dissected right? Hmm That's a valid theory. But 06 wasn't that badly recieved to begin with (it's still platinum hit), Maybe it's true for the 06 hater minority. But I was refering more on the easy-going fans that don't necessary talk on the internet about it. It's not impossible for every fans to like 06 AND Colors, that is more my point.