Awoo.

"Sonic Dissected" Dissected: (LEGO) Sonic Dimensions As You Truly Imagined It

FriendBot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvvMM2EVGeU

Can we please change the topic title to match the whole SSMB is now his "Merry Little Hate Club" line?

When did people start saying that they hated this guy? I thought that people were disagreeing with this dude as opposed to going around saying they hate him?

Even in the screen grab he posts, it's of the OP who actually agrees with a lot of his stuff and sounds positive if you ask me... so where exactly did this come from?

No one directly stated they hated him, but some people were being very harsh and rather rude with their comments towards him. It's one thing to criticize someone and another to blatantly insult them.

God, I hate these series of videos because I can't stop disagreeing and Verte pretty much sums it up.

If you're going to do a bunch of "analysis" type videos, get your shit right or else you look like a bunch of dumbasses.

Such as this unnecessary insult.

Then there are the individuals who felt the need to comment on Roger's "bias" (read: opinions) without even bothering to fully watch his videos. This comes across as "jumping on the hate wagon". Very hypocritical, considering that they accused Roger of making invalid arguments and based on improper research, yet they make invalid statements about him, such as calling him biased, when they would have learned from watching his videos that nearly everything he states is in his opinion (you know, the things that people tend to have when they feel a certain way about something?). He even says in the first video that the dissected videos are mainly about things he noticed. That doesn't make it fact or perfect- they're simply observations. HIS observations. He realized this early on in his videos, and, as DoubleA stated a few pages back, invited people to join in the discussion. Instead, some people decided to be bitter about it.

And I'm sorry, but many of the comments came off as overly sensitive rather than critical.

Some people gave him valid constructive criticism: "Tone down the sarcastic attitude.", Try to be a bit less pretentious.", "Don't gag on Pontac so much.", etc.

Then you have things like this:

Yeah, if there's one thing I dislike about these videos is how they seem to nitpick the living fuck out of everything else in the series just so the Adventure games look better by comparison.

This isn't constructive criticism- this is pointless complaining. He only states why he dislikes Roger's videos and offers no alternative to Roger's "nitpicking". It's not constructive in any way, and instead comes off as: "Waah! He likes Adventure more than I do, so that makes him a biased nitpicker!" Instead of moaning about Roger's "nitpicking", this individual could have made a simple suggestion, such as, "I don't agree with your statements, and I find it unfair that you only criticize the new games instead of the Adventure games. How about you also do a video of criticisms for the Adventure games so that your argument is less biased?" Some kind of suggestion would have been much better.

I tried to watch these videos, but I can't. Everything about them just irritate me. How fast Roger talks, the fact that they're going so in depth over something that really doesn't have any depth to it (meaning that they're repeating the same thing over and over again), the art style is very irritating and distracting, Rogers voice is ear gratting, and what exactly are they talking about again. They just go in all these different directions and it just loses me. The way these videos are structured are so chaotic, and all over the place, that I just can't get into them. Like seriously can someone give me in brief of what the hell he and his guests are talking about.

And this. Seriously, let's nitpick at someone's voice....you know, something they can't fix. Let's whine because we don't understand what they're talking about (since you don't understand, that's something YOU need to fix, not them). Being irritated when they go over something in depth? It's a Dissected Video. They're SUPPOSED to go over everything in depth. They're "dissecting" everything they can about Sonic down to the bone, and in the best way they can. 

The only valid criticism from this block of complaints is saying that the video is chaotic because it goes into too many different directions. Roger can take from this and make sure his videos are more focused. He can't do much with his voice, except change the pitch but that's unnecessary. His voice is his voice. I'm sure most of us here don't have heavenly, angelic-sounding voices, either.

And just as Nepenthe stated, this discussion was originally supposed to be about discussing Roger's opinions, concerning the topic in the video. Instead, many of the comments turned into personal attacks on Roger himself because some people clearly have some pent-up anger towards him.

Considering the fact that all he made was a simple joke about this forum being a "little hate club", I'd say he took this rather well. I'm actually stunned that people in here are offended at his small joke when he just got stomped on by 5+ individuals.

• Thumbs Up 3

This isn't constructive criticism- this is pointless complaining. He only states why he dislikes Roger's videos and offers no alternative to Roger's "nitpicking". It's not constructive in any way, and instead comes off as: "Waah! He likes Adventure more than I do, so that makes him a biased nitpicker!" Instead of moaning about Roger's "nitpicking", this individual could have made a simple suggestion, such as, "I don't agree with your statements, and I find it unfair that you only criticize the new games instead of the Adventure games.

Well, sorry if I came off like that, but I did honestly feel like he did criticize the recent games more than the Adventures. :/

How about you also do a video of criticisms for the Adventure games so that your argument is less biased?" Some kind of suggestion would have been much better.

He... kind of did. They had Frobman come on the show, but Frob pretty much just rambled on the usual "A blue hedgehog can't be taken seriously! etc., etc." like a parody of someone who dislikes SA2, while Roger and Luke carried on.

And in case you're wondering, I did, in fact, watch all of the videos prior to making that post. To say something positive on this series, I thought the bit on level design was a good listen and the character discussion was thought provoking. It's just that I thought there was some bias for SA2 here and there, and when you're doing a series of videos like this and your bias shows, it can come off as hypocritical.

I actually agree with what was dissected in this video. He's right on the Rogues, they do need padding. Kinda don't want the Deadly Six to appear but oh well. The comments don't exactly pick up on Roger's cute joke though, they seriously see us as a hate club. Oh well.

I actually agree with what was dissected in this video. He's right on the Rogues, they do need padding. Kinda don't want the Deadly Six to appear but oh well. The comments don't exactly pick up on Roger's cute joke though, they seriously see us as a hate club. Oh well.

I only saw 3 out of the 38 comments that are taking note of the "hate club" joke. And there's one that acknowledges both the SSMB and Roger, so it's not like the comments are focusing on this, surprisingly.

Though that might change? I don't know, but I figured I'd make this known before we start making assumptions.

I only saw 3 out of the 38 comments that are taking note of the "hate club" joke. And there's one that acknowledges both the SSMB and Roger, so it's not like the comments are focusing on this, surprisingly.

Though that might change? I don't know, but I figured I'd make this known before we start making assumptions.

Yeah, sorry about that. The Youtube mobile version only highlights some quotes which was the hate club ones. Sorry again :-(

I feel like he's being too hard on Lost World again. For instance, the comment that making fun of the Deadly Six is the same as making fun of the handicapped. Now that's quite a jump in jerkish-ness, the former a group of capable people trying to kill you and the rest of your planet, while the latter is... well... not a group of people who want to kill you and the planet, and in fact... can't really do much about anything.

Reminds me of a comment that Sonic in LW is like some sort of "schoolyard bully" or something. How is Sonic a bully for simply making rude comments about the people trying to kill him? Hell, even freaking Mario got away with much worse! Not to mention the times when Sonic gored his foes in SA2, Secret Rings and Unleashed, while still sprouting his corny one-liners. So would that Sonic be put on the same level of a slaughterer as Kratos?huh.png

• Thumbs Up 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvvMM2EVGeU

I watched the vwhole video.

First the first 27 minutes it was okay, he exposed his thoughts on the Deadly Six clearly (even though he still fails to understand why the D6 are "countinuing the mission Eggman given to them". Hello? They stole the doctor's machines so they can rule instead of being ruled by him, and they still fought Sonic because Sonic was still fighting them. Because, you know, having Eggman's robots means that they have the flickies, which Sonic and Tails wanted to save)

Then Roger miserably fails at the end when he compares Sonic's sentence "One word of helpful advice: diet and exercise" to a mean mocking of an old woman's problems. Thery're not the same thing.

It's sad how Roger criticizes us for not understanding his humor, and then he fails to tell the difference between suggesting an obese person to live a better life and more healthy with diet and exercise, and brutally mocking an incapacitated old woman because she can't walk to the bathroom and need a diaper.

Exactly what is the problem with the humor he tried to put with an obese person and an old lady? I mean, it seems a bit minor to me to call him out on that unless I'm missing something, because I'm pretty sure someone like Roger knows the difference and was just messing around as he made his point.

• Thumbs Up 3

Exactly what is the problem with the humor he tried to put with an obese person and an old lady? I mean, it seems a bit minor to me to call him out on that unless I'm missing something, because I'm pretty sure someone like Roger knows the difference and was just messing around as he made his point.

How can I explain my point with better words?

Roger thinks Sonic's friendly advices are as bad as mocking an old lady because she has diarrhea. This is just wrong.

How can I explain my point with better words?

Roger thinks Sonic's friendly advices are as bad as mocking an old lady because she has diarrhea. This is just wrong.

When you put it that way, it sounds even more like a very obvious hyperbole that was intended as a joke as he criticized Lost World's script.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe its just annoying "..." that the hyperbole comparison wasn't something like an actual comparison, instead of just another joke at the game's writing.

You guys need to stop taking everything this guy says at face value, :\

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty much. I mean his videos are supposed to be entertaining first, whenever he says anything bold or generalized, you can usually, almost always write it off as dry joke if it honestly offends you somehow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just because I don't care for the man's works all that much, doesn't mean I'm taking everything he says at face value. I just don't find them entertaining, is all.

• Thumbs Up 6

The fact that there's confusion in the first place over what to take at face value or not is indicative of the problem at hand with his approach to analysis, and by extension, his video series as a whole. It's rather inconsistent.

• Thumbs Up 4

Indeed, the man should be able to actually convey his messages and make clear what's supposed to actually be taken seriously. Unfortunately such is still a present problem and weakness that needs serious adjusting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering this is the first time I (and probably Roger, judging by his recent response) have seen so many people having such a problem with his presentation...

• Thumbs Up 1

That's fallacious thinking. Just because no topics about his analysis videos existed before does not mean that there were no disagreements prior. When you remove a restriction, the true thoughts of the masses may spring forth.

His dissected videos always rubbed me, and many others it would seem, the wrong way; the existence of this topic is simply a recently created avenue to vent these frustrations and provide concise and constructive analysis against his claims. 

Also, you have to consider what corner of the fanbase you're in. This isn't the SEGA Forums or anything. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just because I don't care for the man's works all that much, doesn't mean I'm taking everything he says at face value. I just don't find them entertaining, is all.

The fact that there's confusion in the first place over what to take at face value or not is indicative of the problem at hand with his approach to analysis, and by extension, his video series as a whole. It's rather inconsistent.

Indeed, the man should be able to actually convey his messages and make clear what's supposed to actually be taken seriously. Unfortunately such is still a present problem and weakness that needs serious adjusting.

In case any of you missed it, he's also made jokes about 06..so why is it that those are being ignored entirely?

I'm not saying any of you are wrong if you have any problems with his work, by all means give him constructive criticism, but I still get that feeling that this criticism is less in response to his actual work, and more because of his overtly negative opinions on some aspects that a lot of users here like.

Roger is pretty much a prime example of Accentuating the Negative, he intentionally exaggerates his criticisms because that's just how his brand of humor works. If you take everything he says completely seriously, then you're kind of missing the point in the first place. 

It should be pretty easy to tell when he's being serious(Actually discussing the content itself) or being factitious( The infamous scandal).

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm more than well aware of his focus on "accentuating the negative" with his stuff. Again, I just don't find his use of it to be all that entertaining, is all.

That's fallacious thinking. Just because no topics about his analysis videos existed before does not mean that there were no disagreements prior. When you remove a restriction, the true thoughts of the masses may spring forth.

His dissected videos always rubbed me, and many others it would seem, the wrong way; the existence of this topic is simply a recently created avenue to vent these frustrations and provide concise and constructive analysis against his claims.

I'm talking specifically about people outside here. I mean, his videos are well liked on youtube and deviantart, and his dissected series has become popular with both audiences, so from the looks of it, the general opinion of his dissected series here appears to be in the minority.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's also the fact that I think people are ignoring the fact that he actually did try to come up with different uses of the characters if he was a writer, and try to find fitting roles for them.

Ya know...rather than just shitting on them because he hates them so much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Roger should always make it clear in his Dissected videos whether he's being serious or not, and if he doesn't make this clear at all than that's his problem and he needs to address that.

Otherwise we get instances like the end of his SLW animation with the wall of text. Misunderstandings and all that.

• Thumbs Up 5