Awoo.

"Sonic Dissected" Dissected: (LEGO) Sonic Dimensions As You Truly Imagined It

FriendBot

06 wasn't "that" badly received.

06 is "still" a platinum hit.

06 has a "minor" hater base.

Just restating these for reference. 

I had another thing written up, but there's no way it'll hold interest after the above post.

No way. This is going to be something else.

• Thumbs Up 1

But, why would they use that basic template? They aren't animal-people like Sonic and the rest. They're monsters from a mysterious lost world.

Which was also supposed to be part of Sonic's world at one point.

Honestly, I don't really care about the Deadly Six's style inconsistancies as much as, say, Black Doom or several Archie characters. They've still got body proportions and features that make them somewhat Sonic-y, but you have to admit, there are still differences.

*coughnomuzzlescough*

I think we've clearly established that Double A and Co. live on another plane of reality, and find mortal questions beneath them. Either that or really persistent random blackouts. Both are strong possibilities.

Or maybe she just has you all on the ignore list?

06 is "still" a platinum hit.

Wait, isn't that one still technically true? As far as I knew, being a platinum hit simply means the game sold a set amount of numbers, not exactly that the game was good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it's true for the 06 hater minority.

I have absolutely no idea where you've been for the past 8 years but I'm pretty sure a majority of people dislike 06. Alot. A bad game can still sell.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Really shallow"? I don't think Colors had any mytho, to be honest.

As for your last line, I was just talking to someone else about this. As soon as a new Sonic game comes out, people go back to the older games and judge them further. People thought Unleashed, even with the Werehog stages, was the best thing since the Adventure games (or S3&K.....or Sonic 1, depends who you ask), and then Colors came around and all of a sudden, Unleashed became "flawed". Then, Generations came out and then Colors, which was labeled as "the best Sonic game to date" when it came out, became forgotten and people started picking out it's flaws. And not even Generations escaped this, as many people believed Sonic Lost World would be "the best Sonic game to date", completely ignoring the fact that they said the exact same thing about Generations and Colors. It's pretty much a cycle at this point.

Oh gosh.....I never really noticed that somehow.....but you are right

I for one can clearly see the flaws of my favorite Sonic games namely SA2, It left plenty of loose ends that were either left loose or tied in a very sloppy knot. I know that the game isn't perfect but rather than using that as a reason to abandon that style of storytelling I see it as an opportunity to expand and improve on what was established. It puzzles me why others would want to throw away 20+ years of canon in favor of the grotesque mutated variety of Sonic titles such as Colors or Lost World. I don't see what these games offer to the table at all.

Don't forget it was loved for being the anti-06 of the series

Okay, I'm sure that there are those who like Colors for that -- this is a big Internet, after all. However, unless you think everyone likes it purely out of some sort of hipsterish spite for '06, the vast majority of the game's fans like it for ultimately being... well, a genuinely good game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or maybe she just has you all on the ignore list?

Everyone?

Wait, isn't that one still technically true? As far as I knew, being a platinum hit simply means the game sold a set amount of numbers, not exactly that the game was good.

Quoted for emphasis because once you breach a threshold, it doesn't reverse. No matter how much they realize their mistake.

Keep in mind, as you said, it's due to sales, not quality. I strongly believe it would not have sold well if it wasn't a Sonic game. 

Quoted for emphasis because once you breach a threshold, it doesn't reverse. No matter how much they realize their mistake.

Keep in mind, as you said, it's due to sales, not quality. I strongly believe it would not have sold well if it wasn't a Sonic game. 

Oh, I think I get what you mean. You're saying that since the game sold a lot, it did a lot of damage. I think. Maybe.

But I was just thinking platinum was nothing more than sales numbers, doesn't take reviews and scores into consideration.

If I remember well that was Roger's interpretation discussed in 06 Dissected right? Hmm That's a valid theory. But 06 wasn't that badly recieved to begin with (it's still platinum hit), Maybe it's true for the 06 hater minority. But I was refering more on the easy-going fans that don't necessary talk on the internet about it. It's not impossible for every fans to like 06 AND Colors, that is more my point.

true...very true...06 seems to be a "meh" to "pretty good" type Sonic game outside the internet and in the mainframe of reality.

Oh, I think I get what you mean. You're saying that since the game sold a lot, it did a lot of damage. I think. Maybe.

But I was just thinking platinum was nothing more than sales numbers, doesn't take reviews and scores into consideration.

My point was moreso that being a platinum hit doesn't mean anything in the long run, but your interpretation is technically true as well. The more people see it and experience, the higher the awareness of it's terribadness. 

I think we were talking about Sonic Dissected at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Which was also supposed to be part of Sonic's world at one point.

Even if it was, the Zeti aren't the same fundamental "thing" as Sonic and the rest. They look different because they are different, and that's not a bad thing or a betrayal of the series' design standards. You wouldn't say that Eggman is out of place because he's not 3 feet tall, furry, and with big bright eyes, because he's a human, not a Sonic-anthro. Likewise the Zeti are Zeti, not Sonic-anthros.

I'm not saying there isn't any such thing as "too far off", but not following Sonic's proportions and constructions to a T does not constitute "too far off".

And hell, no one question's Vector's place in the series, and he's a Sonic-anthro that's way off the "standard" body template.

My point was moreso that being a platinum hit doesn't mean anything in the long run. 

Oh, sure it does. If it's platinum and a bug ridden game, in the long run, it will do a lot of damage and even change the way the franchise is handled.

If it's platinum and a good game, well... more fans and more money, with a big "Hey, we're doing something right! Maybe we should keep going in that direction?"

I think we were talking about Sonic Dissected at some point.

Weren't those points mentioned in the video? I don't know anymore.

Oh, sure it does. If it's platinum and a bug ridden game, in the long run, it will do a lot of damage and even change the way the franchise is handled.

In that sense, yes. But in the context of Double A's post, no, it does not mean anything. In that sense, it's being used as positive reinforcement. But being a platinum hit, as we've established, is in regards to sale count. It was a Sonic game. There's always going to be that unsuspecting parent or child who'll get it because it has his face on it.

Sonic Free Riders is a Platinum Hit.

Sonic Free Riders.

If I remember well that was Roger's interpretation discussed in 06 Dissected right? Hmm That's a valid theory. But 06 wasn't that badly recieved to begin with (it's still platinum hit), Maybe it's true for the 06 hater minority. But I was refering more on the easy-going fans that don't necessary talk on the internet about it. It's not impossible for every fans to like 06 AND Colors, that is more my point.

Ah, that changes things. If you were just talking about only the internet, well......the internet part of the Sonic fanbase was in an uproar over '06, and to this day they still blab on about it. But the people off the internet? I wasn't a part of the internet Sonic fanbase until last year or so, so I can actually agree with you and say you're pretty correct about that. Many people off the internet, or the casual Sonic fans, didn't care for '06 because of the glitches, but they didn't continue to bash the game. They either moved on from Sonic or stayed and stopped talking about '06 altogether. In fact, I didn't even know that '06 was so notorious until I started going to Sonic sites last year. 

And from what I've heard by talking to people and comments I've read on the internet, many people don't hate '06. They don't care for the story, and they hate the glitches (which is understandable, of course), but they don't think it's the worse game in the world. Some people have a hard time believing that though.

Honestly, I don't believe '06 was that bad of a game either. Of course, I didn't like the glitches and I wish Sega took their time on the game, but the only other thing I really didn't care for was Elise. I didn't care for her as a character, or her relationship with Sonic. Though, as Roger stated in his video, she does act as an extension for Iblis, and I understand that. I just wish they went about it better. 

He also brought up Maria, who I think is a much better "extension" character than Elise is.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah, that changes things. If you were just talking about only the internet, well......the internet part of the Sonic fanbase was in an uproar over '06, and to this day they still blab on about it. But the people off the internet? I wasn't a part of the internet Sonic fanbase until last year or so, so I can actually agree with you and say you're pretty correct about that. Many people off the internet, or the casual Sonic fans, didn't care for '06 because of the glitches, but they didn't continue to bash the game. They either moved on from Sonic or stayed and stopped talking about '06 altogether. In fact, I didn't even know that '06 was so notorious until I started going to Sonic sites last year. 

And from what I've heard by talking to people and comments I've read on the internet, many people don't hate '06. They don't care for the story, and they hate the glitches (which is understandable, of course), but they don't think it's the worse game in the world. Some people have a hard time believing that though.

REALLY NOW?!!

• Thumbs Up 1

true...very true...06 seems to be a "meh" to "pretty good" type Sonic game outside the internet and in the mainframe of reality.

I disagree. Even in the real world, Sonic 06 is made out to be a monstrosity. I went through school as an 06 fan. I was told I was retarded for liking a glitchy mess. Common consensus was it was awful. Also, read an article in a magazine about Sonic. It'll instantly mention how 06 damn near killed our franchise.

REALLY NOW?!!

Lol.  :P

You'd be surprised how many people I've run into who bash others just for liking Sonic 2006. It's happened with me, someone told me that my opinions of '06 were wrong just because they were positive.

• Thumbs Up 2

As for your last line, I was just talking to someone else about this. As soon as a new Sonic game comes out, people go back to the older games and judge them further. People thought Unleashed, even with the Werehog stages, was the best thing since the Adventure games (or S3&K.....or Sonic 1, depends who you ask), and then Colors came around and all of a sudden, Unleashed became "flawed". Then, Generations came out and then Colors, which was labeled as "the best Sonic game to date" when it came out, became forgotten and people started picking out it's flaws. And not even Generations escaped this, as many people believed Sonic Lost World would be "the best Sonic game to date", completely ignoring the fact that they said the exact same thing about Generations and Colors. It's pretty much a cycle at this point.

Hahaha, wow. I was going to stay out of the current discussion, but you've done it now. This is seriosuly one of my biggest pet peeves.

First of all, even if that sort of bullshit wasn't...well, bullshit, in an attempt to discredit people's opinions, people are allowed to change their views on something. Someone changing their mind on the previous installment(s) of a series because of the current one isn't that big a deal, it happens all the time and anyone who acts like it's exclusive to the Sonic fanbase either doesn't pay much attention to any others or is, I hate to repeat myself but here we go, making shit up to make people they don't agree with feel bad.

Second, "best game ever" comments probably shouldn't be taken at face value most of the time, anyway. Of course people shouldn't get so obnoxiously overhyped (there's a difference between "this could be a personal fav of mine!" and "this will be the absolute best game ever 10000000/10 anyone who disagrees needs to be banned forever"), because it always ends in disaster no matter how good the game really is, but that's a discussion for another time.

And really, if you genuinely think people didn't criticize any of those games, at all, before the next game out...what? Especially Unleashed, considering how much some fans, let alone journalists or whatever, have always grouped it in with games like ShTH and '06.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I don't believe '06 was that bad of a game either. Of course, I didn't like the glitches and I wish Sega took their time on the game, but the only other thing I really didn't care for was Elise. I didn't care for her as a character, or her relationship with Sonic. Though, as Roger stated in his video, she does act as an extension for Iblis, and I understand that. I just wish they went about it better. 

He also brought up Maria, who I think is a much better "extension" character than Elise is.

That's what Roger explained in his new dissected. Elise and Maria aren't important characters on their own but they are important to demonstrate the main character's ''humanity'' or emotionnal investement. And that honestly worked especially with Maria. People became involved with Shadow's past. No wonder why back in the '2000s so many topics were about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol.  tongue.png

You'd be surprised how many people I've run into who bash others just for liking Sonic 2006. It's happened with me, someone told me that my opinions of '06 were wrong just because they were positive.

hahahahaha!!! pretentious opinions abound! xD

This as well. If she was actually a develop character with emotion and drive I would have really liked her...she was just so bland and useless that she irked me to no end!

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol.  tongue.png

Are you sure that you were told this just because of your opinion of the game, or because of the way you phrased such an expression? I ask this because, if you frame it as something along the lines of "I like this thing here; it is a JILLION times better than that other thing there that sucks," then you're pretty much setting yourself for such a reaction, as unfortunate as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

So how long are you three going to use this topic as your own personal Skype chat?